PDA

View Full Version : I am undocumented, but I have a SSN, do I use it for FAFSA and college app?

ihtbf9345
09-19-2009, 01:39 PM
From the threads I've read already, I'm assuming that most of the undocumented students here applying for college do not have a SSN. And most people are recommending that they just leave that area blank when filling out the application.

However, I am undocumented but I have a SSN. It's a real one (I don't know the details of it because my dad applied for it) it's just that I can't use it to work.

So when I'm filling out a college application, should I put in my SSN even though I'm undocumented?

And also... there have been some mixed answers about filling out the FAFSA form. I don't want to fill one out if it'll end up causing problems for me.

How do you send the FAFSA just to the school and not to the gov't?

Thanks in advance!

buckminsterfullerene
09-19-2009, 02:38 PM
From the threads I've read already, I'm assuming that most of the undocumented students here applying for college do not have a SSN. And most people are recommending that they just leave that area blank when filling out the application.

However, I am undocumented but I have a SSN. It's a real one (I don't know the details of it because my dad applied for it) it's just that I can't use it to work.

So when I'm filling out a college application, should I put in my SSN even though I'm undocumented?

And also... there have been some mixed answers about filling out the FAFSA form. I don't want to fill one out if it'll end up causing problems for me.

How do you send the FAFSA just to the school and not to the gov't?

Thanks in advance!

I am assuming you already read this, it was pretty recent
http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=12666

either way, if memory serves me right someone was able to apply for the FAFSA, you just have to make sure that in the paper format of the application you select that you do not want any federal aid, as you do not qualify to get any federal aid, however, the FAFSA can be used in order to apply to other kinds of private scholarships which you may be able to apply for just as long as they do not require legal residency status or citizenship.

http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=12312&highlight=fafsa+federal+aid+dreamerhippie

note: look at post #4

some schools have something similar to the FASFA that they use for aid considerations, its not exactly the FASFA, just similar to it, at least that is what I think they were talking about in the other threads.

lakersgrl24
09-20-2009, 12:33 AM
Hey, I'm undocumented as weell but have a ssn.. I didn't really care about leaving anything blank and just filled everyrthing out on the fafsa like I would have if I wasn't illegal.. Failed.. They figured my ssn didnt work and declined .. Lucky enough I was able to get a boga so if its a community college you should check out if they have that option, goodluck!

unthinkable
09-20-2009, 01:41 AM
Hey, I'm undocumented as weell but have a ssn.. I didn't really care about leaving anything blank and just filled everyrthing out on the fafsa like I would have if I wasn't illegal.. Failed.. They figured my ssn didnt work and declined .. Lucky enough I was able to get a boga so if its a community college you should check out if they have that option, goodluck!

What's a boga?

lakersgrl24
09-20-2009, 02:12 AM
I'm sorry, BOG fee waiver

hkk24
09-20-2009, 07:07 PM
I'm sorry, BOG fee waiver

They told me I couldnt get the BOG because I was getting in state tuition?
I have a ssn that says not valid for employment as well.

As far as putting it on your apps, I did in hs. I just went to the social security office and the woman that helped me there told me that schools are a bit different w/ our ssn but that its not good for ANYTHING...it just means we got "numbered" but never updated our status.

ihtbf9345
09-20-2009, 08:12 PM
They told me I couldnt get the BOG because I was getting in state tuition?
I have a ssn that says not valid for employment as well.

As far as putting it on your apps, I did in hs. I just went to the social security office and the woman that helped me there told me that schools are a bit different w/ our ssn but that its not good for ANYTHING...it just means we got "numbered" but never updated our status.

so does that mean it basically doesn't matter whether or not we put it on our apps or fasfa?

hkk24
09-20-2009, 09:02 PM
so does that mean it basically doesn't matter whether or not we put it on our apps or fasfa?

you dont have to fill out fafsa unless the school requires it. if they do you just fill out a hard copy and give it to the school.

MDxOD
10-04-2009, 12:49 PM
yes you fill out Fafsa, put ur ssn, but put neither citizen or perm resident.

GX01
10-04-2009, 07:51 PM
I don't get it. You are undocumented. How do you get SSN?

This is also my question. My parents had their tax every year. On the form it showed "SSN" number but isn't that just for the TAX only?

Please someone clear this up for me, thanks.

buckminsterfullerene
10-04-2009, 08:32 PM
I don't get it. You are undocumented. How do you get SSN?

This is also my question. My parents had their tax every year. On the form it showed "SSN" number but isn't that just for the TAX only?

Please someone clear this up for me, thanks.

you are talking about the ITIN number, it is for tax purposes only, however, in some places it can be used as an alternative to the SSN number, i.e., opening bank accounts or getting credit cards.

GX01
10-04-2009, 09:23 PM
you are talking about the ITIN number, it is for tax purposes only, however, in some places it can be used as an alternative to the SSN number, i.e., opening bank accounts or getting credit cards.

Hmm I think so.
Resident Income Tax Return
Your social security number
xxx-xx-xxx
I guess they replace it with ITIN?

Another question, back to the concern, how did the OP get his SSN and he's undocumented (excluding the expired SSN)?

godlysb
10-05-2009, 04:38 PM
i have the same type of ss card also i was just wondering if i am able to get a drivers license with it?