PDA

View Full Version : How old do you have to be to open a bank account?

CalDreamer
03-11-2012, 04:14 AM
Hey guys! So in a few months (less than 3 months actually) I'll be receiving a check for 1000+ and the only way I can cash it is if i get my driver's licence (for proof) or a bank account under my name. I'm sixteen years old so would they let me open an account?
I know my parents have one but I need it to be under my name since the check is directly to me.

Sirius
03-11-2012, 06:38 AM
Many banks require SSN, valid photo ID and proof of address. Alien registration number, for non-citizens, etc.

Also, others can cash it for you. You'd need to endorse the check.

Or you could have a shared account. Business only, in which case there is some paper work. And a TIN is required. This type of account can take months to open.

Best bet is to check the bank/credit union's policies. Some have a limit as to how much can be endorsed to another person. Or additional paper. I also know parents can open a folder for their child. But am not sure how citizenship status enters in.

CalDreamer
03-11-2012, 04:03 PM
Thank you! I'll ask my parents about it and go check at their bank (:

hoodiemacally
03-12-2012, 10:02 PM
I'm not sure if this is for all banks but for my bank BOFA (Bank of America), as long as the child is under 18, the parent can open up a checking and savings account for them and it would still be valid after they turned 18.

fl_dreamer
03-14-2012, 01:32 PM
Since you are a minor, it should be fine. Ask your parents to talk to their bank.

Worse case scenario- Go to a gas station owned by an Indian. Most of them cash checks for people in our situation. They make charge 1 or 2%.

Hope that helps!

MIdreamer
03-14-2012, 02:21 PM
Since you are a minor, it should be fine. Ask your parents to talk to their bank.

Worse case scenario- Go to a gas station owned by an Indian. Most of them cash checks for people in our situation. They make charge 1 or 2%.

Hope that helps!

It has to be Indian?

Cokoke98
03-15-2012, 02:44 AM
This is a beautiful album and I see why it is one of your favourite cities. I love the architecture and the photos you took of windows and doors. I really like the old and new architecture photo. The views are wonderful and its a great album. May I ask if I may use a couple of your photos for cards. It will probably be from a different album, but maybe one or two from this one. big hugs and love,

CalDreamer
03-15-2012, 12:27 PM
Thanks! (:

2Face
03-15-2012, 01:48 PM

Hope that helps!

lol I'm telling you no Indian will cash that big of a check. He'd better be off going to a cash checking business.

fl_dreamer
03-15-2012, 02:23 PM
lol I'm telling you no Indian will cash that big of a check. He'd better be off going to a cash checking business.

you'd be surprised! I am an Indian. Uncle and relatives own several gas stations. They are jerks which is a different story.. but you can cash that certainly cash $1000 check !

CalDreamer
03-16-2012, 07:19 PM
you'd be surprised! I am an Indian. Uncle and relatives own several gas stations. They are jerks which is a different story.. but you can cash that certainly cash $1000 check !

Haha thanks :P