PDA

View Full Version : Worried about taking Amtrack

Noysingh
04-19-2012, 05:06 AM
I want to take Amtrak but just city to city. San Jose to Sacramento, which is about 40-50 miles away. Should i be worried about any ICE? Do i require a California ID to travel?

sd09
04-19-2012, 07:07 PM
You'll be fine with a school/college ID.

Noysingh
04-20-2012, 03:09 AM
Whats all this thing i hear about ICE/immigration being connected to Amtrak?

uc_ag
04-20-2012, 04:25 PM
I used to take Amtrak from Davis to Oakland (round trip) about 6 years ago for almost a year and I did not have any problems. Maybe things have changed.

I would always buy my ticket online and I would print it out from the kiosk. I once had to go up to the front desk to get my ticket, which I used my passport without any issues. Once on board, I was never asked for an ID, just my ticket.

Noysingh
04-20-2012, 06:05 PM
Is there a risk? or it's safe in the bay area because we are 100 of miles away from the border?

Noysingh
04-21-2012, 04:39 PM
Thank you nexus! Now i am confident to visit my GF :)

Nexus
04-21-2012, 05:17 PM
No problem Noysingh.

Personal story here....

I actually didn't know they had these ICE personnel at bus stations where I went to college at, which was near the Canadian border. So I was surprised to see ICE officers questioning people before we boarded the bus. This was during Thanksgiving break, where we all went home to be with our families. Prior to boarding the bus the officer asked me, "Are you an American Citizen?" Quick thinking on my part... and I just replied with a "Yes" and he moved on to the person behind me who happened to be a Chinese student. He replied with a "No" it was only then that the officers actually asked the guy for papers, etc. He had it with him, so he must of been aware of this. I bet though if he had said Yes, they would of moved on.

On this same trip we also stopped at Buffalo, NY (also a border city), this time the officer there asked me, "What nationality are you from?" to which I replied "American".

Really, the only way they are going to grill you further is if you can't speak proper English and are dumb enough to say "No I am not an American citizen officer."

Looking back on it, I was quite lucky because while we waited for the bus to come at my departing bus station, I had been talking to several of the students who were also taking the bus, and I was introducing myself around, making friends, etc. I told a few of them I was from Brazil. I swear there was this kid there that looked like he was from Mexico but he told me he was from Hawaii. Anyways, had I known about the ICE people etc, I would of never mentioned to any of the students there that I was from Brazil lol.

Safe travels, you will be fine!

Noysingh
04-21-2012, 08:04 PM
I am not even near any border. Im in NOR cal and traveling only 40 miles of distance! I should be fine :)

Nexus
04-21-2012, 08:32 PM
I am not even near any border. Im in NOR cal and traveling only 40 miles of distance! I should be fine :)

Exactly! Dont worry :)

Noysingh
04-22-2012, 05:20 AM
Wait, what about the ID part?

Noysingh
04-22-2012, 05:21 AM
I do not have cal ID. all i have is my school id

Nexus
04-22-2012, 08:16 AM
Fairly sure you don't need ID to travel by train, I've never needed it out here on the East coast.

I've never had to display ID even when I met those ICE officers.

I never had to show ID when It traveled from New York to Chicago via Amtrak, and when I traveled from Chicago to New Mexico, also via Amtrak.

ECL23
04-22-2012, 10:03 AM
Nexus, that's good advice and all, but what if the ICE agent did not move on after you said "yes". What if they continued to question you? If they found out you aren't American, they can not only detain you but you can be banned for lying to an official about your immigration status.

I believe the best response is choosing your right not to answer.

Nexus
04-23-2012, 07:19 PM
Nexus, that's good advice and all, but what if the ICE agent did not move on after you said "yes". What if they continued to question you? If they found out you aren't American, they can not only detain you but you can be banned for lying to an official about your immigration status.

I believe the best response is choosing your right not to answer.

ECL you are over thinking it! The point of these things is just a verbal check, and if you tell the ICE officers you are "not" an American, then they pursue it further. There was someone in front of me in line that looked Mexican, and they asked him the same question, and nothing more.

You are asking for trouble by answering anything other than, "Yes I am an American."

smilelishis123
05-01-2012, 12:12 PM
Hello everyone, i was wondering if any knows how difficult is it to travel from Penn station New York to Fort lauderdale Florida. I'm planing on leaving in a month and I was only gonna travel with my high school I.D but I'm not sure if I'm willing to risk anything.. thanks

Nexus
05-01-2012, 01:37 PM
@smilelishis123,

You wont have any trouble at the Penn Station in New York, you wont even need ID there. I can guarantee you that as I've taken a train from there many times.

I can't guarantee you anything beyond the New York Station, but I am pretty certain that you wont have trouble. The only Amtrak border patrol checks that I know of are in West New York, places like Buffalo, NY, and Erie, PA which are close to the border of Canada. They only have "border" patrol near the border cities.

If you are still worried, which you shouldn't be. I would call Amtrak and just ask a simple question, "Do they have any border patrol checks on this "line". Obviously don't tell them you are undocumented, just ask the simple question, don't make things complicated. If they ask or say something as to why you are asking, just say "oh I just don't want to deal with the hassle, if they have them".