PDA

View Full Version : I dropped out from high school..

DogShekki
08-01-2012, 11:21 PM
I am Qualify for all other but
i did not graduate from high school..
i dropped out from high school @ Senior Year..

am i not qualify for the Dream act?

i do have Certificate that i went to high school...

Dres2011
08-01-2012, 11:22 PM
GED?

If you have a GED right now you qualify for DACA.

DogShekki
08-01-2012, 11:24 PM
I do not have GED or any other.

Dres2011
08-01-2012, 11:25 PM
If you don't have a GED you don't meet all of the requirements.

Gotta get that GED.

Dark Apotheosis
08-01-2012, 11:28 PM
We don't know for sure whether USCIS will specify that you need to be in high school, or have obtained a high school diploma or GED by and before June 15th.

There's speculation here and there, but nothing for sure yet. The immigrant organizations and lawyers are suggesting that anyone without a high school diploma or GED enroll in a GED program right now so you can apply for DACA because it's likely the requirement will be to be in school (GED program counts) at the time of application. In the end, we have to wait for the final guidelines to find out.

DA User
08-01-2012, 11:30 PM
Won't DACA have a deadline to apply? Let's say is 1 year then OP can get his/her GED in the meantime right?

VJB2
08-02-2012, 12:15 AM
No. Go back to school to obtain a GED, hopefully within approved timetables.

MIdreamer
08-02-2012, 12:26 AM
How long had it been since you dropped out? If it's only like 1 year, you can still go back and finish high school.

mnrunner
08-02-2012, 12:29 AM
You can enroll in a GED program by the time you apply to be eligible.

spartanwarrior
08-02-2012, 06:14 AM
i dropped out too but i got my GED soon after that. That was a couple of years ago though. You have to get a diploma...we can't live working in mcdonalds forever.

freshh.
08-02-2012, 07:05 AM
We don't know for sure whether USCIS will specify that you need to be in high school, or have obtained a high school diploma or GED by and before June 15th.

There's speculation here and there, but nothing for sure yet. The immigrant organizations and lawyers are suggesting that anyone without a high school diploma or GED enroll in a GED program right now so you can apply for DACA because it's likely the requirement will be to be in school (GED program counts) at the time of application. In the end, we have to wait for the final guidelines to find out.

^This. I suggest you enroll in a GED program ASAP.

buckminsterfullerene
08-02-2012, 09:26 AM

This questions was asked in a DHS conference call, you should get into a GED program right now.

IamAman
08-02-2012, 09:56 AM
As an aged out Dreamer with two college degrees, I'll try my best to withhold judgement and just say GET YOUR GED, NOW! NO EXCUSE!

Nic89
08-02-2012, 09:58 AM
I am Qualify for all other but
i did not graduate from high school..
i dropped out from high school @ Senior Year..

am i not qualify for the Dream act?

i do have Certificate that i went to high school...

You do not qualified if you didn't finish your high school and not enrolled in school at time of application . You need to go nack to school and then you become eligible as currently enrolled in school then you can apply for it.

IcanOnlyDream
08-02-2012, 02:44 PM
As an aged out Dreamer with two college degrees, I'll try my best to withhold judgement and just say GET YOUR GED, NOW! NO EXCUSE!

He shouldn't be able to qualify, this is b.s. And the fact that people such as yourself don't get to qualify just really pisses me off.

This is just like that other girl who decided to drop out of school and have babies at a young age. As soon as the deferred action was announced they want to do something, f*** them.

IamAman
08-02-2012, 03:07 PM
He shouldn't be able to qualify, this is b.s. And the fact that people such as yourself don't get to qualify just really pisses me off.

This is just like that other girl who decided to drop out of school and have babies at a young age. As soon as the deferred action was announced they want to do something, f*** them.

Well I agree with you obviously. In my world though I'd rather we'd both get it.

fl_dreamer
08-02-2012, 03:11 PM

I feel for you man. Hope everything works out for you soon too!

They shouldn't allow people with GED to benefit from DACA or DreamAct. You think a high school drop out is going to the great things Senator Durbin speaks about in his DA speeches? I am not saying it is not possible but very unlikely. Once DACA goes through, all these drops-outs are going to compete in the work-force for minimum wage jobs- giving the average American an opportunity to bitch and moan.

buckminsterfullerene
08-02-2012, 03:13 PM

People drop out for a large number of reasons, frankly, I would have found it very complicated to remain in school had my parents not been working as hard they possibly could to give me at least a fighting opportunity. Specially if you come from states where legislation is going the wrong way, where people are being denied access to higher education because of their status, or where people are actively being targeted and raids are constantly taking place.

In the decision of continuing with high school or having food on the table, I think considering what was happening back then, people would be hard pressed to believe anything would happen and taking care of a more immediate issue that they could remedy was more important.

I think the biggest mistake that has been made so far on the DREAM Act and the current version is to take out the retroactive clause which would have allowed those that meet all the other requirements to continue applying even if they age out provided they have completed either the 2 years of college or military service by the time of the announcement. Of course the DREAM Act has not passed yet, and hopefully the DHS announcement allows more people to come forward with their stories and become more active in letting voters know what the DREAM Act is really about. That is about giving people that have been in school with their children and faced the same challenges and in most occasions far more an opportunity to call the place where they have grown almost the entirety of their lives their home as it should be and not be deported to a place that is not something they can begin to recall.

buckminsterfullerene
08-02-2012, 03:18 PM
I feel for you man. Hope everything works out for you soon too!

They shouldn't allow people with GED to benefit from DACA or DreamAct. You think a high school drop out is going to the great things Senator Durbin speaks about in his DA speeches? I am not saying it is not possible but very unlikely. Once DACA goes through, all these drops-outs are going to compete in the work-force for minimum wage jobs- giving the average American an opportunity to bitch and moan.

I work with a professor at the University of Chicago, and his concern was that in pushing the stories of individuals that are so extraordinary the requirements have been made that more stringent and is reaching a point where people are feeling the need to burn themselves out to even have a slight opportunity at qualifying.

It ignores the many circumstances that leads someone to be in this situation. Ultimately, not everyone has the same access to resources, or have both parents to support them in their stories, and in many situations what we are observing are that parents are active in breaking the dreams of their children because they also do not believe anything will happen. With situations like those, I am surprised anyone would come out on top.

I have also been active with parents trying to keep their hopes up and I hope it translates to students being hopeful for their own future, but I cannot speak the same for states that have been passing anti-immigration laws.

MiGente
08-02-2012, 03:21 PM
Many times, as DREAMers, we ask citizens to hear our stories. So that they may understand why we are in this country without legal authorization. If we wish for this to happen, the change starts with the individual, in this case ourselves.

As DREAMEers, are we willing to hear the stories of youth who have had special circumstances, such as youth who were not able to complete high school? The stories of youth who had to drop out due to personal circumstances, many times out of their control? As DREAMers, we want opportunities. So, why not give these opportunities to individuals trying to better themselves, too?

For example, as a proud undocumented American, I have had the privilege of organizing with youth from disenfranchised backgrounds. Some of them are trying to escape their gang lifestyle. Some are trying to escape drug abuse. Some have the responsibility of taking care of their family financially, so college might not be an immediate option for them many times. Often, we base assumptions and stigmas on this type of youth, without actually listening to their unique stories. It's quite a paradox to see this happen in the DREAMer population, when we want opportunities, yet are ANGERED when others less privileged also get it.

DogShekki, I am glad to mention to you that (based on the interpretation and opinions from individuals working at DC on immigration issues through law, public policy, advocacy, and so on) there is about a 90% chance you will qualify. This is not 100%, but there is a really good chance. I, myself, have tried to get this answer from many of the immigration and labor centers in DC, and this same thought patter has persisted.

Shekki, What you will need is to enroll in a GED program, asap, as others have mentioned. You might be able to apply, as long as you are enrolled in a qualifying educational program, such as a GED program, or obtain a diploma or GED by the date YOU submit your materials.

Again, this is nothing official, but definitely this is information developed by experts in their field.

----

For all of us DREAMers who do qualify for DACA, we better CHECK ourselves. We hold many privileges over others who have as much right to qualify. (I hope to continue this discussion in other threads.)

will_con
08-02-2012, 03:25 PM
OP you're really luck to be able to qualify. Do yourself a favor and sign up to get your GED. We're not sure if you'd be able to get in, but many speculate that you must be enrolled in school when you apply.

I can't really judge you for dropping out of school, things can get really hard that supporting yourself outweighs getting a HS degree. This is especially the case since in both scenarios you'd end up working under the table for minimum wage. Also, I've heard of parents willing to abandon their kid by age 18 but they're still in high school.

buckminsterfullerene
08-02-2012, 03:26 PM
Many times, as DREAMers, we ask citizens to hear our stories. So that they may understand why we are in this country without legal authorization. If we wish for this to happen, the change starts with the individual, in this case ourselves.

As DREAMEers, are we willing to hear the stories of youth who have had special circumstances, such as youth who were not able to complete high school? The stories of youth who had to drop out due to personal circumstances, many times out of their control? As DREAMers, we want opportunities. So, why not give these opportunities to individuals trying to better themselves, too?

For example, as a proud undocumented American, I have had the privilege of organizing with youth from disenfranchised backgrounds. Some of them are trying to escape their gang lifestyle. Some are trying to escape drug abuse. Some have the responsibility of taking care of their family financially, so college might not be an immediate option for them many times. Often, we base assumptions and stigmas on this type of youth, without actually listening to their unique stories. It's quite a paradox to see this happen in the DREAMer population, when we want opportunities, yet are ANGERED when others less privileged also get it.

DogShekki, I am glad to mention to you that (based on the interpretation and opinions from individuals working at DC on immigration issues through law, public policy, advocacy, and so on) there is about a 90% chance you will qualify. This is not 100%, but there is a really good chance. I, myself, have tried to get this answer from many of the immigration and labor centers in DC, and this same thought patter has persisted.

Shekki, What you will need is to enroll in a GED program, asap, as others have mentioned. You might be able to apply, as long as you are enrolled in a qualifying educational program, such as a GED program, or obtain a diploma or GED by the date YOU submit your materials.

Again, this is nothing official, but definitely this is information developed by experts in their field.

----

For all of us DREAMers who do qualify for DACA, we better CHECK ourselves. We hold many privileges over others who have as much right to qualify. (I hope to continue this discussion in other threads.)

Very well put.

buckminsterfullerene
08-02-2012, 03:29 PM
OP you're really luck to be able to qualify. Do yourself a favor and sign up to get your GED. We're not sure if you'd be able to get in, but many speculate that you must be enrolled in school when you apply.

I can't really judge you for dropping out of school, things can get really hard that supporting yourself outweighs getting a HS degree. This is especially the case since in both scenarios you'd end up working under the table for minimum wage. Also, I've heard of parents willing to abandon their kid by age 18 but they're still in high school.

The hint in one of the DHS calls is that they will accept students that are currently enrolled in the qualifying program. I also personally asked this question on a conference calls with the Illinois Coalition for Immigrant and Refugee Rights and got a similar type of response as I was observing many people focusing on that in this forum. This was many weeks ago, and I have since been on two other DHS conference calls, one which asked a similar question.

Juanjo
08-02-2012, 04:35 PM

----

This post is flaw-free.

IamAman
08-02-2012, 08:31 PM
Ok, I got news for you, ALL immigrants have special circumstances. All illegals have special circumstances, but the whole idea of the Dream act was that those who were raised here AND have something to offer the country are a specially unique circumstance and should have a pathway to permanent residency and citizenship through school or military service. Once you take the school out of the equation then you are just a regular illegal who won't really gain much and don't have much to offer the country that it already doesn't have. Nothing wrong with that, but there IS a difference between the average Joe Illegal (or Jose) and the Joe Illegal who took college prep courses and would otherwise go to college and pay taxes.

So do I have sympathy for someone who didn't finish high school? Yes, somewhat. Much like I have sympathy for the day laborers and other illegals who barely speak the language and are just here to work so their kids back home don't starve, but their battle and my battle are different.

Another thing, High School in the US is an absolute joke. If you even just show up most of the time, they'll give you a diploma. I know some people maybe didn't have parents who spoke English, but most schools have ESL and the teachers even speak Spanish! I'm not saying you had to double up and triple up on your math and science classes to be Dream Act worthy but how in the holly hell can you not show up to school? Even the worst parents in the world would tell you to go to school.

let's assume your parents who came here for you to have a better life decided to tie you down and told you if you go to school, they'll disown you. Maybe they beat you or didn't feed you if you went to school instead of working. Now that you're a grown ass man, why would you not want to have a GED? GED is an even bigger joke than High School. You don't even have to show up! You could do roofing during the day and spend a couple of months studying and you have it.

I'm not saying you're a bad person, but yes I don't think someone who didn't even want to get a GED on his own deserves a free work permit or later a green card. ... at least before those who do get one.