PDA

View Full Version : After we get our work permit, what then?

beto2287
08-29-2012, 09:21 PM
What are the next steps? I heard that you cannot get a social with DACA, though I think that's completely wrong. For what I understand, after you get your EAD, you go to the SS office and they will mail you a SS card. With that you go to the DMV and get your DL (assuming your state allows you too). Please correct me if I'm wrong...

Dres2011
08-29-2012, 09:26 PM
Yes it's as you said. You apply for a SSN at the SS office...

Marduk
08-29-2012, 09:28 PM
It would be absurd to have authorization to work and unable to obtain a SS card! You need both documents for employment!

RAYADO1
08-29-2012, 09:34 PM
Next step is.. go apply for a job maybe 2

NotAPro
08-29-2012, 09:34 PM
When I get my EAD, this is what I am doing.
Driving to the SSA office, applying for SS. They give you a print out, you can as for your SS at the spot. Card is mailed to you in about 6 to 8 days later.
Drive down to the DMV, apply for DL and ID. Get ID first then DL.

Next day I go and interview for a job that's been waiting for me for a bit.

GiveMeAChance
08-29-2012, 09:53 PM
I'm wondering how we'll be able to transition from a fake # to our own ss# w/o loosing our jobs :-/

ApocalypticLabyrinth
08-29-2012, 09:55 PM
I'm wondering how we'll be able to transition from a fake # to our own ss# w/o loosing our jobs :-/

You should, it's a HR issue, you talk to HR and ask them that you need to correct the SSN #.

Garcia_jos3
08-29-2012, 09:55 PM
What are the next steps? I heard that you cannot get a social with DACA, though I think that's completely wrong. For what I understand, after you get your EAD, you go to the SS office and they will mail you a SS card. With that you go to the DMV and get your DL (assuming your state allows you too). Please correct me if I'm wrong...

You are correct but not in all states

Ianus
08-29-2012, 10:05 PM
The correct form to fill out for a new SSN is here (https://www.socialsecurity.gov/online/ss-5.pdf) for anyone interested.Your EAD will be required and more than likely any ID you get will be tied to the name on your SSN.Those with 4 names prepare for 3,lol.

kabs
08-29-2012, 10:13 PM
The correct form to fill out for a new SSN is here (https://www.socialsecurity.gov/online/ss-5.pdf) for anyone interested.Your EAD will be required and more than likely any ID you get will be tied to the name on your SSN.Those with 4 names prepare for 3,lol.

Quick and random question... I have a social but it only has my two names. First and Last, no middle. Do I have to change the card to include my middle name as well? I kinda don't want to.

Ianus
08-29-2012, 10:30 PM
^Yes,it will.However,it would be best to only get it changed with EAD in hand.I remembered a DAP member mentioning a while back about wanting to change there's and tried to do so but SSA had shredded the document instead because they couldn't showcase a work authorized status.

The name that USCIS issues on the EAD will become your new official name in the US.