PDA

View Full Version : CA DL thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]

lostpath
05-07-2013, 05:48 PM
I just came back from the DMV and I passed my written exam. Now the driving one.

tink04
05-10-2013, 03:19 AM
I applied for ID/ and passed the written test on Wednesday 5/8(Bellflower DMV). I have an appointment on Monday for the driving test at Fullerton DMV :D

lostpath
05-10-2013, 03:47 AM
I applied for ID/ and passed the written test on Wednesday 5/8(Bellflower DMV). I have an appointment on Monday for the driving test at Fullerton DMV :D

Congratulations on passing your written, I took mine on Tuesday and passed too and I will be taking the driving test on Monday. Good Luck.

tink04
05-10-2013, 09:08 AM
Congratulations on passing your written, I took mine on Tuesday and passed too and I will be taking the driving test on Monday. Good Luck.

What time is your appointment? Mine is at 11am. Good luck!

tink04
05-13-2013, 03:51 PM
I passed the driving test! Hell yea!

vivace
05-14-2013, 01:33 AM
I've heard that Simi Valley DMV gives easy driving test. HOWEVER, one of the scorers is a short lady with gaudy jewelry, and she was MEAN. She yelled at me twice for making a mistake.

Had to retake with a nice Indian man who took me on a simple route.

mayito
05-14-2013, 02:55 AM
Any of you got your DL in the Norco DMV?

beans
05-14-2013, 09:57 PM
Passed the test today. YES! I'm finally licensed, wow.

colossus
05-15-2013, 12:18 AM
Passed the test today. YES! I'm finally licensed, wow.

Feels good, eh?

LuisT9
05-15-2013, 01:51 AM
I also passed the driving test today, but im a little bummed that I got an id for only two years and I think the license will be the same

colossus
05-15-2013, 02:42 AM
I also passed the driving test today, but im a little bummed that I got an id for only two years and I think the license will be the same

That's lame!! Go to another DMV, I got it for 4 years.

beans
05-15-2013, 10:44 AM
Feels good, eh?

Yes, sir/ma'am! It still hasn't sunk in.

tink04
05-15-2013, 05:15 PM
I got my ID. Expires in 2018!!!

colossus
05-15-2013, 07:21 PM
Yes, sir/ma'am! It still hasn't sunk in.
[Sir] would be correct lol.
Have you driven through a checkpoint yet? It'll sink in once you do I'm guessing :)

colossus
05-15-2013, 07:22 PM
I got my ID. Expires in 2018!!!

Congrats!

lostpath
05-16-2013, 04:38 PM
I passed the driving test! Hell yea!

Mine was at 2:30 and I passed now I just need to wait? How long to get it in the mail? Congratulations on passing.

colossus
05-16-2013, 05:06 PM
Mine was at 2:30 and I passed now I just need to wait? How long to get it in the mail? Congratulations on passing.

Took about a week and a half for me.

g33k
05-16-2013, 05:13 PM

6 days for me...

tink04
05-16-2013, 07:12 PM
Congrats!

thank u :lol:

tink04
05-16-2013, 07:13 PM

I passed the test on Monday so I will probably get it Monday. I got my ID in exactly one week, so I'm guessing the same with the license. Congrats!

lostpath
05-18-2013, 06:01 PM
I passed the test on Monday so I will probably get it Monday. I got my ID in exactly one week, so I'm guessing the same with the license. Congrats!

I just got my license in the mail exactly 5 days. It expires on 2018.

javeeboy
05-19-2013, 02:28 AM
I just got my license in the mail exactly 5 days. It expires on 2018.

What DMV??

lostpath
05-19-2013, 03:00 AM
What DMV??

West Covina

tink04
05-19-2013, 11:47 PM
I got my license yesterday! I passed the test Monday, so it only took 5 days :)

javeeboy
05-20-2013, 12:02 AM
West Covina

Nice! Maybe ill go to that one, although they say it depends on the person who processes your app not so much location. Congrats man!

Donna
05-20-2013, 02:27 PM
Hi there.
Please can anybody tell me how long can it take to get ID card in mail? I applied in
Glendale CA

I applied on 04-16-13. Starting 05-14-13 the status says "Application for Identification card is being processed, but your card has not yet been mailed. No further action is required on your part."

Is it possible the card is mailed but the online info is not update?

Thanks

tink04
05-20-2013, 04:43 PM
Hi there.
Please can anybody tell me how long can it take to get ID card in mail? I applied in
Glendale CA

I applied on 04-16-13. Starting 05-14-13 the status says "Application for Identification card is being processed, but your card has not yet been mailed. No further action is required on your part."

Is it possible the card is mailed but the online info is not update?

Thanks

Took exactly one week for me. The status isn't accurate.

NoDreamer
05-20-2013, 05:35 PM
One question:
I read about a new CA Bill where all you need is a tax number to be eligable for a CA DL but suddenly I canīt find anything about that anymore.
Anybody knows what happened to that Bill?

Update :
OK. Found the bill. Itīs still in the works and changed to its worse since they introduced it:
http://legiscan.com/CA/text/AB60

rh0417
05-21-2013, 12:04 AM
Does anyone know if you have to go with someone that has a drivers license when taking the drive test if you are over 18? Thx.

tink04
05-21-2013, 12:20 AM
Does anyone know if you have to go with someone that has a drivers license when taking the drive test if you are over 18? Thx.

Yes they have to have CA license and insurance on the car your using.

alex9874
05-21-2013, 06:53 PM
Finally got approved, what do I need to take to take my test or apply for it?

Javier52
05-21-2013, 07:04 PM
Social security number/card/printout from ss office.
EAD card

Go to the dmv and fill out the dl44 application.
Goodluck.

alex9874
05-28-2013, 06:16 PM
In order to apply just for an ID do I still need the SS#?

MrsK
05-28-2013, 06:50 PM
In order to apply just for an ID do I still need the SS#?

Yes, and bring ur EAD

LegalAmigo
05-28-2013, 06:55 PM
I applied for ID and DL same day. Paid for it, took and passed the test. Have a interim license in the mean time.

Now when I check the status of my DL it says it has not yet been mailed, which is fine with me, it will be here soon.

But when I check the status of my ID it says no records found. What's up with that? Shouldn't my ID have been here by now?

Applied in Santa Ana, Ca btw.

zone2oo0
05-29-2013, 03:43 AM
I applied for ID and DL same day. Paid for it, took and passed the test. Have a interim license in the mean time.

Now when I check the status of my DL it says it has not yet been mailed, which is fine with me, it will be here soon.

But when I check the status of my ID it says no records found. What's up with that? Shouldn't my ID have been here by now?

Applied in Santa Ana, Ca btw.

yeah uh, their website isn't updated often. If you already paid for it its coming, now go be a good driver and use your turning signals.

cristalv
06-03-2013, 11:41 AM
Did anyone go to the bell gardens one and got the 5 yr dl?

javeeboy
06-09-2013, 04:15 AM
When you guys went to the DMV, did they take a copy of your EAD?? When I went the guy seemed to be inputting a lot of info the computer and even had to get a supervisor approved something twice. Obviously I'm hoping my ID and both DL don't expire in two years but I'm thinking that might be the case. We'll see. Did this happen to anyone else?!

cristalv
06-11-2013, 10:25 AM
When you guys went to the DMV, did they take a copy of your EAD?? When I went the guy seemed to be inputting a lot of info the computer and even had to get a supervisor approved something twice. Obviously I'm hoping my ID and both DL don't expire in two years but I'm thinking that might be the case. We'll see. Did this happen to anyone else?!

what dmv did you go to

Mrsflores
06-11-2013, 12:25 PM
Escondido

Great I have to go to escondido DMV too :/

javeeboy
06-11-2013, 03:09 PM
what dmv did you go to

El monte

javeeboy
06-11-2013, 03:10 PM
Btw I just passed my driving test at the West Covina DMV! Super easy'

JeReve.
06-11-2013, 04:39 PM
Hey guys, I just stop by to let you guys know what happened (what did not happen, actually) today at my behind the wheel test. So, I had my appointment at the Fontana DMV today. I showed up on time, had all my paperwork and was accompanied by a licensed driver.. everything was good. I was sent to do my test and the examiner was rude from the get-go but I was expecting that since I had seen him with other drivers before me. He asked me to turn my signals, press the brake pedal and honk the horn. Well, I took a Ford Expedition and this vehicles have the horn disable will the engine is turned off so the horn never honked. I tried explaining to him that I needed to turn on the engine for the horn to work but he wanted nothing to do with me or my horn -_- Point is he said it did not count against me but I had to reschedule my test. The waiting time is two to four weeks, I understand that we have not have licenses for a lot longer than a couple weeks but c'mon this guy was just mean. Any who, I am currently on hold with DMV to reschedule because I am not able to do it online since I had my test today. Hopefully I get an appointment sooner than later and I am praying that when I go I do not get assigned to the same guy. Of course next time I will take another car.
*Sorry for the long post

Mairag
06-12-2013, 06:08 PM
Nervous help me pick should I do compton or west covina?

javeeboy
06-12-2013, 06:59 PM
West Covina!! So easy!

arrowz
06-12-2013, 07:25 PM

The DMV website indicates that the Escondido field office closed permanently on May 10? How were you able to go to the Escondido DMV?

arrowz
06-12-2013, 07:28 PM
The DMV website indicates that the Escondido field office closed permanently on May 10? How were you able to go to the Escondido DMV?

Nevermind! I got confused.

g33k
06-12-2013, 07:29 PM

He said West Covina....

mayito
06-27-2013, 06:46 PM
Just passed my behind-the-wheel test!!!! Got 3 errors!

REEL_MATRIX
06-27-2013, 08:48 PM
Just passed my behind-the-wheel test!!!! Got 3 errors!

Awesome! I'm happy for you!

Any advise you can give me? I have mine in a couple of weeks! :/ Kinda nervous about it

thanks!

mayito
06-27-2013, 11:45 PM

Any advise you can give me? I have mine in a couple of weeks! :/ Kinda nervous about it

thanks!

Believe it or not I read this post (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=33308&highlight=wheel+test) from top to bottom and it really helped me out.

kyungwc
06-29-2013, 12:50 AM
Believe it or not I read this post (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=33308&highlight=wheel+test) from top to bottom and it really helped me out.

lol you crazy

JeReve.
07-02-2013, 05:06 PM
Just a little info.. I received my ID on Saturday and DL yesterday, both valid for 2 years. Fontana DMV.

VJB2
07-02-2013, 05:31 PM
I have a scheduled appointment for the permit (Oi..) on 7/18.. and I have been reading the manuals off the DMV-like apps.

I wonder if they will still ask me for my EAD if I only show them my CA ID I got late last year so they go by the expiration date on my ID instead...

JJ Glo
07-02-2013, 06:37 PM
You need to prove legal presence if you aren't a citizen.

VJB2
07-02-2013, 06:46 PM
You need to prove legal presence if you aren't a citizen.

Well that answers that. ;) Back to the Hollywood DMV I go..

aXia
07-04-2013, 09:16 PM
Ok I have my behind the wheel test on july 16. My question is can I use my aunt car. She has everything, car registration insurance etc. Anyone thanks in advance..

iDream
07-04-2013, 11:58 PM
Ok I have my behind the wheel test on july 16. My question is can I use my aunt car. She has everything, car registration insurance etc. Anyone thanks in advance..

yes, make sure she comes along with you.

jcat
07-05-2013, 04:25 AM

Make sure she has a valid California license as well. I've seen people get turned down because the owner of the car had a license from a different state.

vivace
07-06-2013, 10:13 PM

thanks!

Avoid critical errors. Something like not driving 25mph in a school zone when kids are present is an automatic fail. EVEN IF THE KIDS ARE HIGH SCHOOL TEENS.

It happened to me; I didn't even notice the high school 'cause I've driven by it so many times. So the lady yelled at me and made me drive back to the DMV.

Above all, just be calm and vigilant. Watch your speed, pay attention to the road signs, and you will be just fine :)

REEL_MATRIX
07-26-2013, 06:06 PM
Avoid critical errors. Something like not driving 25mph in a school zone when kids are present is an automatic fail. EVEN IF THE KIDS ARE HIGH SCHOOL TEENS.

It happened to me; I didn't even notice the high school 'cause I've driven by it so many times. So the lady yelled at me and made me drive back to the DMV.

Above all, just be calm and vigilant. Watch your speed, pay attention to the road signs, and you will be just fine :)

Thanks for the advise! I passed my drive test with 0 errors. She told me that I passed with 100%!!!

rd_2
07-26-2013, 09:22 PM
I have a quick important question. I got my permit and i have an app to take my behend the wheel test soon. When i go to the DMV for the driving test, what is the whole process. Like will i have to stand in line and fill out other forms like i had to when i first applied for my permit, will have to show them my ead and social again, or do i just show up pass and get my an either an interm license of temp license??

JJ Glo
07-26-2013, 11:05 PM
Park your car in the testing area. Then you have to go inside to check in, there might be a different line for appointments. You'll have to show them your driving permit, car's registration and insurance. They might also ask the person who went with you for their license. After that, they'll give you a paper and tell you to put it on the windshield of your car and to sit there and wait for the instructor. After the test, the instructor will let you know if you passed or failed. They'll give you the test sheet and you then take it back inside and they'll give you your paper license.

javeeboy
07-27-2013, 03:08 AM
Hey guys random question: so I got both my ID and DL for two years. Honestly I'm indifferent about getting it full term or until my EAD expires since when renew it. But just out of curiosity, do you guys think if I was to go later on and try to get a replacement card as if I lost it, I would get a full term one. I know it depends on the person that's processing your app, but seeing how this time I'm replacing it I probably wouldn't have to show my EAD card right?? Anyhow, any thoughts, comments suggestions would be appreciated. Or has anyone already done something like this?!

g33k
07-27-2013, 03:18 AM
Hey guys random question: so I got both my ID and DL for two years. Honestly I'm indifferent about getting it full term or until my EAD expires since when renew it. But just out of curiosity, do you guys think if I was to go later on and try to get a replacement card as if I lost it, I would get a full term one. I know it depends on the person that's processing your app, but seeing how this time I'm replacing it I probably wouldn't have to show my EAD card right?? Anyhow, any thoughts, comments suggestions would be appreciated. Or has anyone already done something like this?!

You can give it a try but I doubt it.

rd_2
07-27-2013, 10:23 AM
You can give it a try but I doubt it.

Let us know how it goes if you do try it lol

rd_2
07-27-2013, 10:36 AM
I was concerned i would have to show my full info and ead for the driving test as well when i go to check in and after the test when they printing out your paper license, Bcz i was told by the first lady who filled out my DL form when i took my written permit that my DL would be for 5 years, but im not sure if she decides if i get an interm license or if the other second person who is printing out my paper license decides if its interm or temp. Is it either based on what was input in the application by the first lady who filled out my DL form, or by the second person who is printing out my paper license. I know its a confusing question but i have not seen it on here lol maybe cz its so complicated

Dark Apotheosis
07-27-2013, 03:56 PM
I got my 6-year ID last year, but my brother got the 2-year license less than 2 months ago, although his paper license said interim, not temporary. And this happened twice, even after he went to get a replacement license because the first one had a typo. So, it could be that by now most DMV employees have been trained correctly on DACA, and they're issuing the expected 2-year IDs/licenses. I haven't been keeping up with this thread, but perhaps only those who got their license in the first few months after DACA were able to receive IDs/licenses with normal expirations.

I imagine that the DMV employee would have to be extremely distracted or half-asleep at this point to give you a 5/6-year ID/license -- or just not properly trained.

g33k
07-27-2013, 04:10 PM
I got my 6-year ID last year, but my brother got the 2-year license less than 2 months ago, although his paper license said interim, not temporary. And this happened twice, even after he went to get a replacement license because the first one had a typo. So, it could be that by now most DMV employees have been trained correctly on DACA, and they're issuing the expected 2-year IDs/licenses. I haven't been keeping up with this thread, but perhaps only those who got their license in the first few months after DACA were able to receive IDs/licenses with normal expirations.

I imagine that the DMV employee would have to be extremely distracted or half-asleep at this point to give you a 5/6-year ID/license -- or just not properly trained.

I still believe is discretion under the employee. Even in the first weeks, people were getting 2 year and 5 year licenses. There is this girl in here that got full term license a few weeks ago. She went to the Compton DMV. Just try to be friendly when you are doing your transaction...

JJ Glo
07-28-2013, 02:23 AM
I was concerned i would have to show my full info and ead for the driving test as well when i go to check in and after the test when they printing out your paper license, Bcz i was told by the first lady who filled out my DL form when i took my written permit that my DL would be for 5 years, but im not sure if she decides if i get an interm license or if the other second person who is printing out my paper license decides if its interm or temp. Is it either based on what was input in the application by the first lady who filled out my DL form, or by the second person who is printing out my paper license. I know its a confusing question but i have not seen it on here lol maybe cz its so complicated

It's probably based on what the first person who processed your application put into the computer because they don't ask you for your EAD when you take your driving test so they don't know whether you applied with an EAD or not, and people have gotten 2 and 5 year licenses, so it depends on the first time you go to apply.

Dark Apotheosis
07-28-2013, 03:42 PM
I still believe is discretion under the employee. Even in the first weeks, people were getting 2 year and 5 year licenses. There is this girl in here that got full term license a few weeks ago. She went to the Compton DMV. Just try to be friendly when you are doing your transaction...

Is it truly the discretion of the employee, or an error on his part, though?

I suspect it's the latter.

g33k
07-28-2013, 03:55 PM
Is it truly the discretion of the employee, or an error on his part, though?

I suspect it's the latter.

I believe is the discretion of the employee. They always double check with their supervisors when you hand them your EAD.

Dark Apotheosis
07-28-2013, 05:10 PM
I believe is the discretion of the employee. They always double check with their supervisors when you hand them your EAD.

If that's the case, couldn't we all plead our cases to them? That is, to please let us have full duration IDs/licenses because we're DACA bring-them-home, etc.

It seems we have experiences of people saying they were nice to the employee, and they got the 5/6 year ID/license, but no concrete evidence.

I mean, I'm not asserting anything; I'd like to know, as well.

Does anyone know someone who works or has worked at a DMV? One way to get some inside information, and know for sure.

TAKEaPillChill
07-28-2013, 09:23 PM
If that's the case, couldn't we all plead our cases to them? That is, to please let us have full duration IDs/licenses because we're DACA bring-them-home, etc.

It seems we have experiences of people saying they were nice to the employee, and they got the 5/6 year ID/license, but no concrete evidence.

I mean, I'm not asserting anything; I'd like to know, as well.

Does anyone know someone who works or has worked at a DMV? One way to get some inside information, and know for sure.

I concur with everyone who believes it is at the discretion of the employee. I was at the DMV a few months ago and was waiting in line when I overheard someone asking the DMV employee why their license was only valid for 2 years when his sibling's license was a full term one. The employee told him out loud that they don't know how she was able to get a full term license but the DMV is only allowed to issue the license in according to the expiration date of the the EAD. He kept on asking why when they both applied in the same DMV office and she just straight out told him that the employee handling the application probably forgot. I think some employees care and others just don't care. You won't have anything to lose by being polite to the employee handling your application... I'm pretty sure they can care less whether you get a 2 year or 5 year. So it really doesn't matter which DMV you go to. Just hope you get a worker who doesn't care.

lakers2008
07-29-2013, 03:02 AM
well the one in Santa Ana,CA gave me a 2 year ID. still waiting to take the test but I assume I will also get it for 2 years. I was really nice to the lady. I did notice she had to call some other guy to put input something into the system. I think they were authorizing a change from full term to limited. I dont care once you renew it online you will get the full term wont you? You dont have to go back to the DMV to renew last time I check online is available and all they would ask is for social and licence # etc. Social will still be valid even if we lose the EAD.

g33k
07-29-2013, 04:50 AM
well the one in Santa Ana,CA gave me a 2 year ID. still waiting to take the test but I assume I will also get it for 2 years. I was really nice to the lady. I did notice she had to call some other guy to put input something into the system. I think they were authorizing a change from full term to limited. I dont care once you renew it online you will get the full term wont you? You dont have to go back to the DMV to renew last time I check online is available and all they would ask is for social and licence # etc. Social will still be valid even if we lose the EAD.

Nice isn't enough...you have to engage in an interesting conversation.

Dark Apotheosis
07-29-2013, 04:57 PM
Nice isn't enough...you have to engage in an interesting conversation.

And ask for a tarot reading while you're at it?

I don't know -- I'm not convinced that simply by being "nice" to the DMV employee that that gets you a full-term license/ID. I'm more inclined to believe it's an error -- either the employee doesn't care what he inputs, or he doesn't know.

I had to return to the DMV several times when I got my ID because there was always something to correct: first, they got EAD numbers wrong, then they had to retake the picture, then I never got the card in the mail -- a total of 4 times I was at different DMV's. The first time I went, though, I got a b*tch of an employee who would've probably given me a 6-month ID if she could. She even gave me a whole spiel about my name having to match exactly what my EAD said since there was a dash in my application that wasn't showing on the EAD. Then she proceeds to input the wrong A# into the computer. -_-

After all that, I ended up getting a 6-year ID.

I just don't buy the whole "bring the DMV employee flowers to make him/her go "ah, poor little DACA child; let me give you a full-term license.""

Dark Apotheosis
07-29-2013, 05:03 PM
I do have a question, though:

Does anyone know what kind of licenses/IDs people with TPS get? Do they truly get them for 1.5 years? Or is it the same thing we're experiencing -- some people randomly get full-term duration licenses, and other 1.5 years?

lakers2008
07-29-2013, 05:33 PM
I want to know if California puts limited term on your license? Does it still look the same like the rest just with 2 year expiration or are there big RED letters stating temporary etc?

g33k
07-29-2013, 05:45 PM
I want to know if California puts limited term on your license? Does it still look the same like the rest just with 2 year expiration or are there big RED letters stating temporary etc?

They don't have red letters.

I got mine for 5 years.

JJ Glo
07-29-2013, 06:10 PM
I feel like just calling the DMV and ask what is it that the worker inputs into the computer that defines how long your ID and DL will be issued for.

rd_2
07-29-2013, 09:05 PM
I feel like just calling the DMV and ask what is it that the worker inputs into the computer that defines how long your ID and DL will be issued for.

Thats a good idea. I hope they understand what your trying to ask them, these ppl are extra slow lol

Dark Apotheosis
07-29-2013, 09:36 PM

Most likely will be put on hold while they read straight off from their website what we've already read a thousand times ourselves, but they're seeing for the first time.

Translation: we'll still be in the dark about it. But, do try -- who knows.

As I wrote a few posts above, knowing what kind of licenses/IDs those with TPS get will help us in cracking the DMV's Da Vinci code.

Anyone know any Central Americans with TPS?

Whydontilook
07-29-2013, 10:04 PM
Is there confirmation that 'Temporary License' permits are 2 yrs and 'Interim Permits' are 5 years?

Did anyone get different exp dates for their ID and License?

Dark Apotheosis
07-29-2013, 10:06 PM
Is there confirmation that 'Temporary License' permits are 2 yrs and 'Interim Permits' are 5 years?

To the first question: I don't think so. My brother got an interim license both times, and he ended up getting a 2-year license each time (he had to get the first one corrected).

javeeboy
07-30-2013, 06:06 PM

My license said "interim" and it's valid till my EAD expires. So again, I don't think it matters what it says.

g33k
07-30-2013, 06:46 PM
To the first question: I don't think so. My brother got an interim license both times, and he ended up getting a 2-year license each time (he had to get the first one corrected).

After I took the driving test, the examiner told me, "You are getting a full term." I did not know what that meant at the time. It means that examiners also have the power to give you limited term. Even though you get an "interim" license, your examiner can change it. Those that get "interim" license is for the full term. However, it can be changed at the discretion.

luipp
08-01-2013, 12:24 PM
Hello,

On friday Im going to take my driving test to the Santa Ana DMV.
Do they make you parallel park?
If you get it wrong is it an critical error?

Any good advice?

Thanks.

JJ Glo
08-01-2013, 01:01 PM
Hello,

Any good advice?

Thanks.

Not sure, but if you hit the curb, you will fail.

jcat
08-01-2013, 07:23 PM
Hello,

Any good advice?

Thanks.

I doubt they will make you parallel park. But I would just check with someone that has taken a driving test there just to make sure. Again make sure to not hit the curb like people say. You will fail automatically. I remember when I did my roadside parking during the test I was extra careful and parked almost a foot off the curb. I thought I made a mistake but I wasn't marked down for anything.

Whydontilook
08-02-2013, 03:40 PM
Got my ID for 2 years, I hope i get a full term license. This was at the Santa Ana dmv.

REEL_MATRIX
08-02-2013, 06:41 PM
Just to share my experience with ID/DL

My ID is valid for 2 years, till 2015

My DL is valid full term till my birthday in 2018!!!

I'm not sure what the secret is but I'm happy.

FYI, I did everything at the same DMV

g33k
08-03-2013, 03:35 AM
Just to share my experience with ID/DL

My ID is valid for 2 years, till 2015

My DL is valid full term till my birthday in 2018!!!

I'm not sure what the secret is but I'm happy.

FYI, I did everything at the same DMV

Did you do it at two different times, each with a different employee? How would you describe each employee?

REEL_MATRIX
08-03-2013, 03:18 PM
Did you do it at two different times, each with a different employee? How would you describe each employee?

Yes, the first time I went was to apply to ID and take the written part of the driving test. The DMV employee was very nice but I still ended up with a 2 yr ID.

The second time was to take my driving test and I had minimal interaction with the employee, she just took my permit, verified insurance etc, and had me go wait in the car for the instructor.

I don't know if this had anything to do with it but I had no marks on driving test, zero errors.

Cin
08-04-2013, 12:27 AM
Hello my cali ppl. I have a couple questions...i was wondering if you all could help me out. I live in az, which of course does not offer id/dl to dreamers.. :/ i have family in california who is willing to take me in for a couple days just so i can at least get a state id...what all do i need for an id?? Or for a drivers permit?

g33k
08-04-2013, 01:22 AM
Hello my cali ppl. I have a couple questions...i was wondering if you all could help me out. I live in az, which of course does not offer id/dl to dreamers.. :/ i have family in california who is willing to take me in for a couple days just so i can at least get a state id...what all do i need for an id?? Or for a drivers permit?

Fee, application, permit...

Cin
08-04-2013, 02:32 AM
Thanks :) So, on the application do i need to show proof that i live in CA? and how long does it take to receive the id? Fee, application, permit...

g33k
08-04-2013, 02:46 AM
Thanks :) So, on the application do i need to show proof that i live in CA? and how long does it take to receive the id?

You don't need to show proof that you reside in California. You just fill in the application with your California address. You would receive your ID within 2 weeks.

rd_2
08-04-2013, 07:47 AM
Yes, the first time I went was to apply to ID and take the written part of the driving test. The DMV employee was very nice but I still ended up with a 2 yr ID.

The second time was to take my driving test and I had minimal interaction with the employee, she just took my permit, verified insurance etc, and had me go wait in the car for the instructor.

I don't know if this had anything to do with it but I had no marks on driving test, zero errors.

Ohh so i think i know who determines if you get a full term DL, its the person that prints out your paper license when you go and take your written test. Its not the person filling out your DL application, bcz if that was the case then you woulda gotten a 2yr DL like your ID when your applied for both at the same time. Dam this is can either be a good thing or a bad thing for some ppl.

g33k
08-04-2013, 12:36 PM
Ohh so i think i know who determines if you get a full term DL, its the person that prints out your paper license when you go and take your written test. Its not the person filling out your DL application, bcz if that was the case then you woulda gotten a 2yr DL like your ID when your applied for both at the same time. Dam this is can either be a good thing or a bad thing for some ppl.

Actually, its the examiner. When you take your driving test, they set the term for your DL. The examiner told me he will give me full term. Interim or temporary on your permit means you will get full or temporary license. However, the examiner can change that when you go for your driving test.

TAKEaPillChill
08-04-2013, 06:55 PM
Actually, its the examiner. When you take your driving test, they set the term for your DL. The examiner told me he will give me full term. Interim or temporary on your permit means you will get full or temporary license. However, the examiner can change that when you go for your driving test.

Can you specify where they write "interim" or "temporary" on your permit? I don't remember seeing it on my permit nor my cousin's permit.

g33k
08-04-2013, 07:22 PM
Can you specify where they write "interim" or "temporary" on your permit? I don't remember seeing it on my permit nor my cousin's permit.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-5-fwhenG85I/Tddi2DHbC3I/AAAAAAAAAFs/6oAZK_cKGLI/s320/Blog%2BMay%2B2011%2BCalifornia%2BDMV%2BINTERIM%2BDRIVERS%2BLICENSE.jpg

TAKEaPillChill
08-04-2013, 07:54 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-5-fwhenG85I/Tddi2DHbC3I/AAAAAAAAAFs/6oAZK_cKGLI/s320/Blog%2BMay%2B2011%2BCalifornia%2BDMV%2BINTERIM%2BDRIVERS%2BLICENSE.jpg

Thanks for the picture.. So its not going to be on your permit, but the temporary license printed out to you when you pass the drivers test right? That explains why I don't remember seeing it on my printout. My cousin's going to take his driving test next week. Hopefully he gets lucky too.

g33k
08-04-2013, 07:59 PM
Thanks for the picture.. So its not going to be on your permit, but the temporary license printed out to you when you pass the drivers test right? That explains why I don't remember seeing it on my printout. My cousin's going to take his driving test next week. Hopefully he gets lucky too.

Correct...Make sure your cousin has a nice conversation with the examiner as if they are friends. It really helps.

g33k
08-04-2013, 08:07 PM
One more thing. You should tell him to go to the DMV in Compton. I highly recommend it to get the full term.

TAKEaPillChill
08-05-2013, 12:43 AM
One more thing. You should tell him to go to the DMV in Compton. I highly recommend it to get the full term.

Thanks for looking out! I'll let him know.

luipp
08-05-2013, 11:34 AM
Pass my Driving test!! So hype!

This is the route they had me do. For any one that would like to practice it.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6031764

1<3Jesus
08-10-2013, 10:00 AM
Hi! I'm new to this forum but just thought I will let you know at the Westminster DMV has been giving outside of your drivers license. I did my driving test in Fullerton and got a2 year. My sister few friends have got a five years from Westminister.

DDLT
09-07-2013, 10:05 AM
How long did it take everyone to get their drivers lic or ID? I passed my behind the wheel test aug. 7 and have still not gotten my card in the mail!!! I went yestrtday and applied for an ID card to see if that would be faster (hopefully). I also called the dmv and asked why my DL is taking so long and she said it was bc they are still trying to check Legal Presence. She gave me a sacramento number to call and that it can take 3 months for me to get it. This sucks! Has any of this happen to anyone? I went to the laguna hills/woods dmv.

DDLT
09-07-2013, 10:08 AM
...oh and has anyone been to the laguna hills\woods dmv to get their DL/ID? Do they give full term or limited time? Do the limited time ones look or say anything different from the full term ones?

DDLT
09-07-2013, 10:15 AM

Cool good to know! So which one is which?

Interim = 2yr DL
Temporary = full term DL??

LA-Dreamer
09-08-2013, 02:42 AM
Cool good to know! So which one is which?

Interim = 2yr DL
Temporary = full term DL??

It should be like following, I got Interim on my paper and got a 4 years+ DL after 6 days.
Interim = Full Term DL
Temporary = 2 years DL

g33k
09-08-2013, 03:32 AM
It should be like following, I got Interim on my paper and got a 4 years+ DL after 6 days.
Interim = Full Term DL
Temporary = 2 years DL

That's correct...
However, the examiner can change it so be nice/friendly to them.

jmedina6198
09-08-2013, 04:13 AM
So basically whenever i get my daca approved, and go get my license, what would i get? 5 years or 2?

i know once you pass the driving test you get your permit that basically says you'll get your license in the mail or whatever, but once the real license is mailed, what would it say? i heard of some people say that its for 5 years, but in the license it also states that your work permit its for 2 years.

JJ Glo
09-08-2013, 12:14 PM
So basically whenever i get my daca approved, and go get my license, what would i get? 5 years or 2?

It can be both, the correct one would be a 2 year license, according to the DMV website, but some people get a 5 year one.

i know once you pass the driving test you get your permit that basically says you'll get your license in the mail or whatever, but once the real license is mailed, what would it say? i heard of some people say that its for 5 years, but in the license it also states that your work permit its for 2 years.

The license doesn't say anything on it. The only difference is the expiration date.

DDLT
09-10-2013, 11:52 PM
Interim = Full Term DL
Temporary = 2 years DL

Ok thanks. I don't understand why mine is taking forever t get to me and why I was basically told by the dmv person on the phone that I would get it around the beginning of nov. Why 3 months to get it? Anyone experience this..?

g33k
09-11-2013, 01:39 AM
Ok thanks. I don't understand why mine is taking forever t get to me and why I was basically told by the dmv person on the phone that I would get it around the beginning of nov. Why 3 months to get it? Anyone experience this..?

You need to go to the DMV to fix that issue. You should have gotten it within 2 weeks max.

LA-Dreamer
09-11-2013, 01:16 PM

Sorry to hear that, I'm a little different, I renewed with my 8 years expired license which they only asked me to take a very easy 16-18 questions written test, and then 6 days later I got my renewed license (they didnt even ask for my EAD). But my younger brother which has the exact same case as you, he did everything, passed the drive test and waited like 5 weeks still haven't receive his license. The DMV lady told him to wait becuase they need to verify his info with DHS.

Qui-Gon Jinn
09-18-2013, 05:12 PM
I want a 5 year License

it says Interim on my paper

dreamofgold
09-18-2013, 07:21 PM
I know someone posted the paper for the Behind The Wheel Test here. Can someone guide me to it. I know someone who needs it so he can prepare himself for the test. I can't find mine. Much appreciated.

dreamofgold
09-18-2013, 07:46 PM
Nevermind I found it :)

carlo_flash
10-06-2013, 09:13 PM
Whats the requirement for CA DL under the new bill signed by Governor Brown for those undocumented?

hedge1
11-21-2013, 10:53 PM
hi good day to all... i am just wondering if you have this kind of situation. I got my DL and ID last year with full term. but today i received a letter from DMV with ID and DL stating that they made an error. I noticed from the ID and DL i received today and from the first set of ID/DL i got a year ago is the expiration. My new ID/DL will expire on the same my work authorization expire which means 2 year term...

JJ Glo
11-22-2013, 08:28 AM
hi good day to all... i am just wondering if you have this kind of situation. I got my DL and ID last year with full term. but today i received a letter from DMV with ID and DL stating that they made an error. I noticed from the ID and DL i received today and from the first set of ID/DL i got a year ago is the expiration. My new ID/DL will expire on the same my work authorization expire which means 2 year term...

Yes, apparently this has been happening to people with full term licenses and ids.

dado123
06-01-2014, 12:59 PM
How long did it take everyone to get their drivers lic or ID? I passed my behind the wheel test aug. 7 and have still not gotten my card in the mail!!! I went yestrtday and applied for an ID card to see if that would be faster (hopefully). I also called the dmv and asked why my DL is taking so long and she said it was bc they are still trying to check Legal Presence. She gave me a sacramento number to call and that it can take 3 months for me to get it. This sucks! Has any of this happen to anyone? I went to the laguna hills/woods dmv.

I am coming up on one month of waiting for CA DL ? How long did your's take to get in the mail ?

Cali_Meheecan
06-02-2014, 11:33 AM
I am coming up on one month of waiting for CA DL ? How long did your's take to get in the mail ?

shouldn't take more than a week, if i recall right when i got mine in the mail

Cali_Meheecan
06-02-2014, 11:36 AM
Yes, apparently this has been happening to people with full term licenses and ids.

never knew that was happening, i never got anything in the mail or new ID/DL with adjusted expiration dates. I still have my 4 year DL, never got the ID though

g33k
06-02-2014, 11:57 AM
never knew that was happening, i never got anything in the mail or new ID/DL with adjusted expiration dates. I still have my 4 year DL, never got the ID though

Check on the ID/DL dmv status page...it will tell you when your license expires.

JJ Glo
06-03-2014, 04:51 AM

Check on the ID/DL dmv status page...it will tell you when your license expires.

I didn't get anything either. I've had my ID since December and my DL since March of last year and I never received new ones. I checked the status on the DMV website and it says that my License expires in 2017.

dado123
06-03-2014, 06:19 PM
shouldn't take more than a week, if i recall right when i got mine in the mail

Guess you were one of the lucky ones, I just called the DMV Headquarter and they mention they are verify my DACA status with Homeland Security, and so more waiting.

g33k
06-03-2014, 06:33 PM
I didn't get anything either. I've had my ID since December and my DL since March of last year and I never received new ones. I checked the status on the DMV website and it says that my License expires in 2017.

I guess you got lucky.

VJB2
06-04-2014, 04:03 PM
Hi guys. Hope you've all been good.

My job recently has requested I get my permit and license for which they will pay everything for, including private driving school. My question is.. with the expiration date of our DACA coming up (mine being in Nov.), could this be a problem for DMV issuing a license for only a few months before expiring.. and then having a renewed DACA?

Any assistance would be great!

JJ Glo
06-04-2014, 04:12 PM
Hi guys. Hope you've all been good.

My job recently has requested I get my permit and license for which they will pay everything for, including private driving school. My question is.. with the expiration date of our DACA coming up (mine being in Nov.), could this be a problem for DMV issuing a license for only a few months before expiring.. and then having a renewed DACA?

Any assistance would be great!

Your BD/LP document must have an expiration date 30 or more days from your application date. If your BD/LP document has an expiration date less than 30 days, you will not be able to start a driver license or identification card application.

If your BD/LP document has an expiration date of less than 60 days, you may complete your licensing requirements (written/vision/driving tests), but you will need to submit another BD/LP document with an expiration date of 60 days or more before your driver license or identification card is mailed to you.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/dl/dl_info.htm#ltlp

VJB2
06-04-2014, 04:15 PM
Thank you! I must get to this NOW.

Since my expiration date is 5 months away, I wonder the license will actually expire in 5 months as well. Probably likely.. I doubt they'd give me a two year one.

VJB2
06-24-2014, 01:58 AM
I've been studying this handbook since my last post as closely as I can but I'm still nervous about this test. I can't fail it the first time around because I need to get on learning to drive so I can get my license before the time passes where I need to present another EAD..

For those of you who first took the written exam after DACA, how difficult was the exam? How many times did you read over the booklet?

g33k
06-24-2014, 02:30 AM
I've been studying this handbook since my last post as closely as I can but I'm still nervous about this test. I can't fail it the first time around because I need to get on learning to drive so I can get my license before the time passes where I need to present another EAD..

For those of you who first took the written exam after DACA, how difficult was the exam? How many times did you read over the booklet?

Never read book and missed 5?

VJB2
06-24-2014, 05:47 PM
Never read book and missed 5?

Wow. Impressive. Perhaps I am being a bit too paranoid about it..?

g33k
06-24-2014, 06:35 PM
Wow. Impressive. Perhaps I am being a bit too paranoid about it..?

Is not really impressive. Exam is super easy. Most of the questions are common sense. You can just try reading book once or twice and I am sure you will only miss one or get perfect. You are being too paranoid.

dado123
06-25-2014, 03:29 AM
I applied for my DL on May 12th and received it today on June 24.

g33k
06-25-2014, 03:33 AM
I applied for my DL on May 12th and received it today on June 24.

What's your expiration date?

Fenix
06-25-2014, 11:02 AM

Look up videos on youtube about the written exam. I don't know if they are still there but, pretty much, they give you the answers to the different versions of the test.

VJB2
06-25-2014, 03:40 PM
Look up videos on youtube about the written exam. I don't know if they are still there but, pretty much, they give you the answers to the different versions of the test.

That's a great idea. Thanks!

sara-j
01-24-2015, 05:15 PM
I was approved for DACA/EAD renewal in December 2014, so my EAD card expires in December 2017.

For my last drivers license acquired with my initial DACA/EAD approval, my drivers license expiration date was the expiration date on the EAD card that I submitted as identification and proof of residence.

When I received my new license, I noticed that my drivers license expiration date is on my birthday in March 2017, 9 months before my EAD card expires.

Is this a mistake? Did any other CA DL renewers get the same thing?

I'd rather not deal with renewing at the DMV so much sooner and thus more oftenhan I have to

talulahpink
03-09-2015, 08:42 PM
Hi everyone!

My DL expires on 4/10/15 but I am in the process of renewing my stuff for DACA. For those of you who have already renewed, what is the time frame from the time you went for your biometrics to getting approved? I'm stressing out (a lot) about not getting my renewal before my DL expires because then I would go through a period where I don't have a DL. My paperwork is getting processed in Nebraska which I've read is pretty fast...but just how fast? Please help!