PDA

View Full Version : SSN and bank accounts - just more BS...

dayz0811
10-17-2012, 05:58 PM
Prior to DACA, I figure that many of us have opened bank accounts with an ITIN and/or just official IDs (in my case just passport and school ID, no ITIN). Well today I went to my bank so that I can link my SSN to my accounts. Yet the guy who helped me said that he couldn't do it because I can only use the SSN for work purposes.

Honestly this makes no sense to me since it's my understanding that we can now do things like open credit accounts and such. Plus, your SSN is yours forever and it doesn't change when adjusting status. I personally think he misunderstood the wording on the SSN card ("Valid For Work Only with DHS Authorization) to mean that I can only use the card for work, nothing else. So do any of you have any recent experience in making these changes?

P.S. Even if I had used an ITIN, we are supposed to report the assignment of a SSN to IRS. So it wouldn't make sense to continue a bank account with an ITIN that is going to be canceled out by IRS once you report your new SSN. How would you report the interest gains (not that most persons are gaining a lot due to current ultra-low rates) at tax time with a tax ID that is not what you are supposed to be using to report work income?

dreamy14
10-17-2012, 06:09 PM
^^

Hmmm...that is strange. For once, if your SSN is valid for work, wouldn't you need it in your bank account to put your money into when you get paid? Plus, as far as tax purposes goes, your SSN will replace your ITIN since you are required by the IRS to turn it in upon recieving your SSN. The guy had definitely misunderstood, so I say go to a different branch and talk to another person.

anitagreencard
10-17-2012, 06:24 PM
That banker must have no idea what he's doing. Go to another bank.

cufnc
10-17-2012, 06:42 PM
He's an idiot. It doesn't say "Valid only for work," it says, "Valid for work only with..." He needs an English lesson. Furthermore, realistically, why would people with work who are earning money not need a bank account? Which bank was this? Go to another one; many banks are hungry for your business.

teacup
10-17-2012, 06:45 PM
yeah sounds like BS, i was told by bank rep: bring in your ssn card when it arrives and we will do the switch, after that we can transfer your credit with the bank to your new ssn. Although this is a good warning for the rest of us so we know to get a dif person or ask for the manager to resolve the issue.

robotics2070
10-17-2012, 07:10 PM
The same thing happened to me, sometimes i hate living in a town full of white people. btw I went to TD bank.

dayz0811
10-17-2012, 07:43 PM
He's an idiot. It doesn't say "Valid only for work," it says, "Valid for work only with..." He needs an English lesson. Furthermore, realistically, why would people with work who are earning money not need a bank account? Which bank was this? Go to another one; many banks are hungry for your business.

This was Bank of America. And yes, I'm pretty sure he got confused with the wording of the card. Amazing who we are trusting our money with...I went to another branch and she did the whole thing in a couple of minutes.

The same thing happened to me, sometimes i hate living in a town full of white people. btw I went to TD bank.

I think there is some truth to this. The guy that first helped me is white. I think we can assume that most citizens have little to no experience with the immigration process so get confused when different procedures from the norm show up

nannerz
10-17-2012, 07:53 PM
Go to another bank or go and talk to someone else at that bank.

hopefulnurse
10-17-2012, 07:57 PM
Go to another bank, I bank with Chase, and I just took my SSN printout, not even a card and they linked my accounts, no questions asked.

hopefulnurse
10-17-2012, 07:59 PM
Which bank was it?

zone2oo0
10-17-2012, 08:41 PM
my sister went to BofA to link.. her ss# no bs just a congratulations on getting your social security card from the banker that helped her... the banker that you got is a dumbass and needs to be reported for giving out false information...

you should go back to get his name and the branch he works for.

dayz0811
10-17-2012, 11:17 PM
my sister went to BofA to link.. her ss# no bs just a congratulations on getting your social security card from the banker that helped her... the banker that you got is a dumbass and needs to be reported for giving out false information...

you should go back to get his name and the branch he works for.

Yeah, that's pretty much what happened to me with the second banker I went to at another branch. Either way, the 1st guy probably won't stay there long, he seemed lost on other questions/procedures...

dayz0811
10-17-2012, 11:18 PM
Which bank was it?

Bank of America. Already fixed it at a different branch location

MadMan
10-17-2012, 11:21 PM
The teller is such a boob. Find another bank. :-D

I plan on visiting my local BOA branch as soon as I get my EAD, SS, and DL. I want them to update my information. I originally opened my account with just a ITTN # and Expired Passport.

dayz0811
10-17-2012, 11:26 PM
The teller is such a boob. Find another bank. :-D

I plan on visiting my local BOA branch as soon as I get my EAD, SS, and DL. I want them to update my information. I originally opened my account with just a ITTN # and Expired Passport.

Haha tell me about it! Just try to get a banker that looks experienced

Leap of Faith
10-18-2012, 08:24 PM
How ridiculous. I'll be going in a few days to link/update my account. If I have any problems I'll ask to be seen by someone else or just go to another branch.

jaz2012
10-21-2012, 07:20 AM
Why do you need to show your social security card? I've always opened accounts at many different banks without having to show a security card or ITIN card. I've always only needed an ID. I've never tried at a credit union because they usually are more strict.

compedude29
10-21-2012, 11:34 AM
I went to Wells Fargo and had no problems linking my account to my ssn. Except that the banker kept asking me if I remebered my address from Mexico when I showed her my passport. -_- I told her no I was 6 when I came here how was I suppose to know that. Also even though she was able to update my account she didn't update my online account. I had to call customer service to let then give me access.