PDA

View Full Version : ** What to do with ITIN after receiving SSN **

arcane
10-31-2012, 02:05 PM
Update on "Transfer Past Earnings to New SSN"

Notify IRS about your new SSN & rescind ITIN

Individuals who are not eligible to receive a Social Security Number (SSN) instead get an Individual Tax Payer Identification Number (ITIN).

An alien individual can't have both an ITIN and a SSN. Therefore, once you receive your SSN (e.g., after getting an EAD), you will have to rescind your ITIN.

After you receive your new SSN, you will have to send a letter to the IRS ITIN Unit requesting a rescind of your ITIN. The SSN will become the primary number and must be used for all future filing purposes. The IRS will void the ITIN. All prior tax information under the ITIN will be associated with the new SSN.

Send a letter to:
Internal Revenue Service
ITIN Operation
P.O. Box 149342
Austin, TX 78714-9342

Enclose the copies of your ITIN and SSN.

You will then receive this letter (http://i.imgur.com/fPjyQ8E.png) from the IRS confirming that your ITIN was revoked and to use your new SSN for all tax purposes.

source: http://www.immihelp.com/immigration/rescind-itin-after-getting-ssn.html

How to Transfer Your Credit History to a Newly Assigned SSN
If you DO NOT have credit, this does NOT apply to you - If you have BAD credit, is it recommended to NOT transfer credit, and start fresh with your new SSN. ALSO THIS IS FOR THOSE WHO ESTABLISHED CREDIT WITH AN ITIN (NOT WITH A FAKE SSN). IT IS A FELONY TO USE A SSN THAT IS NOT YOURS, SO IF YOU HAVE CREDIT WITH A FAKE SSN, IT IS STRONGLY RECOMMENDED YOU DO NOT TRANSFER CREDIT.

When you are assigned a new Social Security Number (SSN), your previous credit history will not automatically transfer. Credit history is not kept by the Social Security Administration. Instead, the three major credit bureaus, Experian, TransUnion and Equifax, keep their own records of your credit history. Therefore, to transfer your credit history you will need to notify each of the credit bureaus directly and provide evidence of your claim.

1. Contact your current lenders and inform them of your newly assigned SSN. They should begin to report your credit under your new number.

2. Type a letter to the credit bureau, explaining that you have a new SSN. Keep the letter simple and to the point. List all previous numbers you had credit under and any previous names you used. Request that your account be listed in your new credit report.

3.Print four copies of the letter, one for each of the three credit bureaus and one for your own records. Sign the three copies for the credit bureaus.

4. Address one envelope to each credit bureau, affix a stamp and write your return address. The three credit bureau addresses are as follows:

Equifax
P.O. Box 740241
Atlanta, GA 30374

Experian
P.O. Box 2002
Allen, TX 75013

TransUnion
P.O. Box 1000
Chester, PA 19022

5. Make three copies of the document you received from the Social Security Administration informing you of your newly assigned SSN. Attach one to each letter and put each letter in an envelope. Mail the letters to the credit bureaus.

6. Wait a month or two and request a free copy of your credit report through AnnualCreditReport.com from each credit bureau. Download and print this form (http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/pdf-0093-annual-report-request-form.pdf) and mail it to request free credit report. Once you receive your credit reports, verify that your credit history has been transferred by each credit bureau. If it has not, call the credit bureau in question to sort out the problem.

Equifax
1-800-685-1111

Experian
1-888-397-3742

TransUnion
1-800-888-4213

source: http://www.ehow.com/how_6758058_transfer-history-newly-assigned-ssn.html

You can also check your credit score for free at http://www.creditkarma.com/

Transfer Past Earnings to New SSN

If you worked with a SSN that wasn't yours, your can transfer your earnings onto your new SSN.

- Collect old W-2 forms (usually attached to your previous tax returns). If you dont have these, ask your employers to supply you with copies of the specific years you worked with them.

-Take your taxes and w-2 forms to the Social Security Office and tell them you want to transfer your earnings to your newly issued SSN. Does not matter if your W-2s list your fake SSN or ITIN, as long as they contain your full name (not any fake names you were working under).

- They will make copies of the W-2 forms and start the process. You will get a letter in about a month of the update.

source: http://dreamact.info/forum/showpost.php?p=505017&postcount=14

Notify Selective Service (males 18-25 yrs old only)

If you are a man ages 18 through 25 and living in the U.S., then you must register with Selective Service. It’s the law. According to law, a man must register with Selective Service within 30 days of his 18th birthday. Selective Service will accept late registrations but not after a man has reached age 26. You may be denied benefits or a job if you have not registered. You can register at any U.S. Post Office and do not need a social security number.

When you do obtain a social security number, let Selective Service know. Provide a copy of your new social security number card; being sure to include your complete name, date of birth, Selective Service registration number, and current mailing address; and mail to:

Selective Service System
P.O. Box 94636
Palatine, IL 60094-4636

source: http://www.sss.gov/default.htm

Do not forget to contact your bank and/or any other relevant institution (school, credit cards, memberships, etc.) about your new SSN.

note to Mods: sticky this thread please...many are posting new threads about the same inquiries

Ili_0389
10-31-2012, 02:52 PM
Kudos! This will be very helpful once I get approved, thanks!

aledreamer19
10-31-2012, 03:08 PM
Thanks for all the info! Great post.

nydreamer
10-31-2012, 03:19 PM
Great posts! Do you happen to have sample letters that we could use as guidelines?

arcane
10-31-2012, 04:01 PM
Great posts! Do you happen to have sample letters that we could use as guidelines?

It is pretty self-explanatory. Here is a sample for the IRS

DATE

Internal Revenue Service
ITIN Operation
PO Box 149342
Austin, TX 78714-9342

To Whom It May Concern,

This letter is to inform the IRS of my newly assigned social security number. The social security number was assigned to me on DATE. Enclosed is a copy of my social security card and my ITIN. Please update your records and rescind my ITIN. I am requesting for all prior tax information under my ITIN to be associated with my new SSN.

ITIN: #

Social Security Number: #

Thank you.

(SIGNATURE)

DREAMER NAME
YOUR ADDRESS

Fer48
10-31-2012, 04:25 PM
Really good post. Thanks for the info.

jesus2190
10-31-2012, 04:51 PM
what happen if you filed your taxes using the ITIN but you also have a fake ssn on the w-2 form ...

Pootie-Tang
10-31-2012, 04:57 PM
Great info. Thanks!

lastro
10-31-2012, 05:12 PM
Notify Selective Service (males 18-25 yrs old only) ???? Can we get more info on this and also who has done this and what exactly is this for?
Thank you

arcane
10-31-2012, 05:19 PM
what happen if you filed your taxes using the ITIN but you also have a fake ssn on the w-2 form ...

Your tax files are recorded to your ITIN, not the fake SSN listed on any W-2 forms.

Your tax returns should not have any records of that fake SSN, if it does, your accountant messed up badly and you can get in trouble for reporting a number that isn't yours.

arcane
10-31-2012, 05:20 PM
Notify Selective Service (males 18-25 yrs old only) ???? Can we get more info on this and also who has done this and what exactly is this for?
Thank you

Every male in the USA is required by law to register with the Selective Service when reaching the age of 18 years old. Even undocumented males MUST register.

Usually during your high school senior, all males receive a letter in the mail to do so. It is widely known.

more info http://www.sss.gov/QA.HTM#quest1

What happens if you are 18-25 yrs old male and DO NOT register? read here http://www.sss.gov/FSbenefits.htm

MadMan
10-31-2012, 05:34 PM
Helpful as always Arcane. Thanks.

Dreamer0523
10-31-2012, 05:51 PM
Wow ARCANE, great thread, I will be doing that as soon as I get my social. Thanks a lot.

arcane
10-31-2012, 05:57 PM
Wow ARCANE, great thread, I will be doing that as soon as I get my social. Thanks a lot.

Helpful as always Arcane. Thanks.

I gotta let it be known of useful info!

Anyone know who the moderators are? Wanna make this thread a sticky thread so we wont encounter a thousand more threads being started on the same inquiries.

Feenmi
10-31-2012, 06:00 PM
Lol mods are always M. I. A. Even after Nick gave 2 DAP users MOD powers, they disappeared too. Swim19 is the only consistent one.

MadMan
10-31-2012, 06:01 PM
I gotta let it be known of useful info!

Anyone know who the moderators are? Wanna make this thread a sticky thread so we wont encounter a thousand more threads being started on the same inquiries.

I can only recall Swim19 and Nick! :-D

jesus2190
10-31-2012, 06:34 PM
Your tax files are recorded to your ITIN, not the fake SSN listed on any W-2 forms.

Your tax returns should not have any records of that fake SSN, if it does, your accountant messed up badly and you can get in trouble for reporting a number that isn't yours.

the fake ssn only appears in the first page the blue paper that has your address and rest of the papers only have my ITIN number does that mean im okay ?

Feenmi
10-31-2012, 06:49 PM
I can only recall Swim19 and Nick! :-D

The other two are fressh and buckminsterfullerene. Or something like that. Haha but those are the other 2 mods.

MadMan
10-31-2012, 06:56 PM
The other two are fressh and buckminsterfullerene. Or something like that. Haha but those are the other 2 mods.

There ya go. I forgot. Ianus should be SupaMod. Haha.

nydreamer
10-31-2012, 08:56 PM
It is pretty self-explanatory. Here is a sample for the IRS

DATE

Internal Revenue Service
ITIN Operation
PO Box 149342
Austin, TX 78714-9342

To Whom It May Concern,

This letter is to inform the IRS of my newly assigned social security number. The social security number was assigned to me on DATE. Enclosed is a copy of my social security card and my ITIN. Please update your records and rescind my ITIN. I am requesting for all prior tax information under my ITIN to be associated with my new SSN.

ITIN: #

Social Security Number: #

Thank you.

(SIGNATURE)

DREAMER NAME
YOUR ADDRESS

Thank you!!!

mdhfinsc
10-31-2012, 09:05 PM
great post

cooltalker
11-01-2012, 05:25 AM
note to Mods: sticky this thread please...many are posting new threads about the same inquiries

I concur. And thanks for the sample letter. Great post.

RAYADO1
11-01-2012, 12:13 PM
what if you don't do any of this stuff??... Nothing,, they still know everything about you anyways,
plus this is done automatically once you go to file your taxes next year,, that's why you pay your tax office for, unless you're planning on doing it yourself online.

2Face
11-01-2012, 12:15 PM
This should be stickied. Thanks admins!

arcane
11-01-2012, 07:01 PM
what if you don't do any of this stuff??... Nothing,, they still know everything about you anyways,
plus this is done automatically once you go to file your taxes next year,, that's why you pay your tax office for, unless you're planning on doing it yourself online.

This isn't just for taxes, read the full original post. Anyways an accountant will charge extra to rescind you ITIN. Why pay for something you can do yourself? And thinking everything will be done automatically is incorrect because different agencies use ssn for different stuff. SSA will not send a memo to everyone that has your ITIN on file.

phoenix
11-01-2012, 07:22 PM

I literally just got back from the Social Security Office where I had them "Transfer my Earnings" (that's the term she used) from the fake social to the new legitimate one. You have to take all of your W2s from all employers. Don't freak out if you can't find one. They found earnings for a couple of years for which I couldn't find my W2s and transferred them over. She told me that I was then going to get a letter on the mail stating what they had done, and that I need to keep that in my records.

btw thanks to the OP for the post. It is very helpful and has saved me from a couple of headaches. Thanks mate!

arcane
11-01-2012, 09:26 PM
I literally just got back from the Social Security Office where I had them "Transfer my Earnings" (that's the term she used) from the fake social to the new legitimate one. You have to take all of your W2s from all employers. Don't freak out if you can't find one. They found earnings for a couple of years for which I couldn't find my W2s and transferred them over. She told me that I was then going to get a letter on the mail stating what they had done, and that I need to keep that in my records.

btw thanks to the OP for the post. It is very helpful and has saved me from a couple of headaches. Thanks mate!

Can you elaborate more on what you did at the SSO? So others who worked with a fake, can "transfer their earnings" as well.

Jjimd55
11-02-2012, 12:27 AM
nvm, found what i was looking for :)

hellogiggles
11-02-2012, 12:35 AM
Thank you soo much!

karega
11-02-2012, 01:10 AM
Great post! Thanks OP.

phoenix
11-02-2012, 02:14 AM
Can you elaborate more on what you did at the SSO? So others who worked with a fake, can "transfer their earnings" as well.

It was really simple, I went to the office and once my number was called I told the lady that I have worked with a made up ssn and I want to transfer my benefits over to my new number. She then asked me if I had a ssn assigned to me and I gave her my legitimate ssn card with my CA DL. Then she asked me when I started working and where, at this point I whipped out my W2s and she started typing the info from them. She found right away earnings on that number with my name and she did some typing and was done in about 10 mins. That was it.

fancyn
11-02-2012, 02:59 AM
so here is a question i read about somewhere, not sure if it was on here. Since we file taxes every year and get only so much left while people with ssn's get so much more, can we get money back from previous years with the new ssn?

Maylf
11-02-2012, 02:22 PM

This isn't just for taxes, read the full original post. Anyways an accountant will charge extra to rescind you ITIN. Why pay for something you can do yourself? And thinking everything will be done automatically is incorrect because different agencies use ssn for different stuff. SSA will not send a memo to everyone that has your ITIN on file.

For taxes, it's your decision to notify the IRS of your new SSN. I called the IRS to ask about replacing ITIN with SSN and was told that it was not necessary to notify them. When you file your tax return using your new SSN, your ITIN will automatically link with your SSN since they have your information under their system. If anyone would like to reconfirm this, you can call the IRS toll free at 1800-829-1040.

phoenix
11-02-2012, 09:27 PM
so here is a question i read about somewhere, not sure if it was on here. Since we file taxes every year and get only so much left while people with ssn's get so much more, can we get money back from previous years with the new ssn?

I have heard that you will, but Idk for sure.

fancyn
11-02-2012, 09:35 PM

well if so i'd have a nice check! But no hopes here!

Herbz
11-04-2012, 07:38 PM

This sounds good... but i have a question, isn't it a really bad idea to connect your fake ssn to your legit one? for future adjustment of status purposes i mean.. i don't know it just doesn't sound like something good? ALSO even if the SS# is a random number, couldn't that be some legit person's SSN? It's a risk isn't it? Please someone enlighten me.

Juanjo
11-04-2012, 07:42 PM
Excellent thread! Thanks! :)

clarmanks
11-06-2012, 04:46 PM
This sounds good... but i have a question, isn't it a really bad idea to connect your fake ssn to your legit one? for future adjustment of status purposes i mean.. i don't know it just doesn't sound like something good? ALSO even if the SS# is a random number, couldn't that be some legit person's SSN? It's a risk isn't it? Please someone enlighten me.

yeah, I wanna know more about this too, i called my local SSA and asked them about transfering my earnings to my ssn and she said to bring my w-2s and we will go from there, but im afraid that my made up ssn belonged to someone and i could in trouble, Phoenix do you have more information about this please?

phoenix
11-07-2012, 12:55 AM

yeah, I wanna know more about this too, i called my local SSA and asked them about transfering my earnings to my ssn and she said to bring my w-2s and we will go from there, but im afraid that my made up ssn belonged to someone and i could in trouble, Phoenix do you have more information about this please?

I have read here on DAP that there's legal precedent from the US Supreme Court that if you only used a fake number it's not considered identity theft and you should be fine. I asked two different SSA workers in two diff offices if there would be any penalties or if it would affect me, they both said no. So yeah...

Herbz
11-07-2012, 05:29 AM
I have read here on DAP that there's legal precedent from the US Supreme Court that if you only used a fake number it's not considered identity theft and you should be fine. I asked two different SSA workers in two diff offices if there would be any penalties or if it would affect me, they both said no. So yeah...

yeah i heard that too, but i don't think there's a surefire way to check if my "fake" ssn that i bought on the streets didn't coincidentally belong to someone.. that's the part that worries me :( thanks for the reply though and i'm still investigating this myself

dreamcorei9
11-07-2012, 07:41 AM
Notify IRS about your new SSN & rescind ITIN

Individuals who are not eligible to receive a Social Security Number (SSN) instead get an Individual Tax Payer Identification Number (ITIN).

An alien individual can't have both an ITIN and a SSN. Therefore, once you receive your SSN (e.g., after getting an EAD), you will have to rescind your ITIN.

After you receive your new SSN, you will have to send a letter to the IRS ITIN Unit requesting a rescind of your ITIN. The SSN will become the primary number and must be used for all future filing purposes. The IRS will void the ITIN. All prior tax information under the ITIN will be associated with the new SSN.

Send a letter to:
Internal Revenue Service
ITIN Operation
P.O. Box 149342
Austin, TX 78714-9342

Enclose the copies of your ITIN and SSN.

source: http://www.immihelp.com/immigration/rescind-itin-after-getting-ssn.html

How to Transfer Your Credit History to a Newly Assigned SSN

When you are assigned a new Social Security Number (SSN), your previous credit history will not automatically transfer. Credit history is not kept by the Social Security Administration. Instead, the three major credit bureaus, Experian, TransUnion and Equifax, keep their own records of your credit history. Therefore, to transfer your credit history you will need to notify each of the credit bureaus directly and provide evidence of your claim.

1. Contact your current lenders and inform them of your newly assigned SSN. They should begin to report your credit under your new number.

2. Type a letter to the credit bureau, explaining that you have a new SSN. Keep the letter simple and to the point. List all previous numbers you had credit under and any previous names you used. Request that your account be listed in your new credit report.

3.Print four copies of the letter, one for each of the three credit bureaus and one for your own records. Sign the three copies for the credit bureaus.

4. Address one envelope to each credit bureau, affix a stamp and write your return address. The three credit bureau addresses are as follows:

Equifax
P.O. Box 740241
Atlanta, GA 30374

Experian
P.O. Box 2002
Allen, TX 75013

TransUnion
P.O. Box 1000
Chester, PA 19022

5. Make three copies of the document you received from the Social Security Administration informing you of your newly assigned SSN. Attach one to each letter and put each letter in an envelope. Mail the letters to the credit bureaus.

6. Wait a month or two and request a free copy of your credit report through AnnualCreditReport.com from each credit bureau. Verify that your credit history has been transferred by each credit bureau. If it has not, call the credit bureau in question to sort out the problem.

Equifax
1-800-685-1111

Experian
1-888-397-3742

TransUnion
1-800-888-4213

source: http://www.ehow.com/how_6758058_transfer-history-newly-assigned-ssn.html

If you are a man ages 18 through 25 and living in the U.S., then you must register with Selective Service. It’s the law. According to law, a man must register with Selective Service within 30 days of his 18th birthday. Selective Service will accept late registrations but not after a man has reached age 26. You may be denied benefits or a job if you have not registered. You can register at any U.S. Post Office and do not need a social security number.

When you do obtain a social security number, let Selective Service know. Provide a copy of your new social security number card; being sure to include your complete name, date of birth, Selective Service registration number, and current mailing address; and mail to:

Selective Service System
P.O. Box 94636
Palatine, IL 60094-4636

Do not forget to contact your bank and/or any other relevant institution (school, credit cards, memberships, etc.) about your new SSN.

-------------------------------
This is a great info.
The thing about notifying the IRS about old ITINs is actually written on the official ITIN document. It clearly says to send a copy of the new SSN and the old ITIN.

phoenix
11-07-2012, 07:02 PM
Even if it did, your earnings will be under your name on the SSA computer, not under the other person name. Just make sure you take proof like W2s

cchap07
11-07-2012, 07:27 PM
yeah i heard that too, but i don't think there's a surefire way to check if my "fake" ssn that i bought on the streets didn't coincidentally belong to someone.. that's the part that worries me :( thanks for the reply though and i'm still investigating this myself

I was wondering basically the same thing, however I only ever used the fake ssn to get credit and never to work. For identity theft does the person whose social you used have to start a case against you or does the government do it automatically?

Also anyone know what kind of lawyer to talk to about this?

BTW the case that sets that presedent is Felix Montez-Rodriguez v People of the state of Colorado if you care to read up on it.

Chey00
11-08-2012, 04:07 PM
Did anyone already send this letter to the ITIN people and let them know of your new SSN? I plan on mailing it next week and I just wanted to know what happens after that.... Do they send you a letter back confirming the change?

arcane
11-08-2012, 07:10 PM
Did anyone already send this letter to the ITIN people and let them know of your new SSN? I plan on mailing it next week and I just wanted to know what happens after that.... Do they send you a letter back confirming the change?

I sent them a letter last week. Not sure if they will reply notifying me of the change. I guess we can call after a week or two to verify.

http://i.imgur.com/TZMPz.png

dreamcorei9
11-10-2012, 04:31 AM
LOL, I actually went to the nearest IRS office today. It was 5 miles from my residence.
The funny thing is, the IRS office is in the same building as USCIS! I wanted to check out there and add a mailing address with my PO box to my profile, but they already closed.
Anyway, I went the IRS office, got a wait number, got called, and met an IRS agent.
The agent was very nice and polite, and I told him that I came to report my SSN and revoke my ITIN. The process went smoothly, and was told that I will receive a notice from the ITIN department soon.
By the way, I'm planning to visit this building again for the USCIS. I need to notify them my PO box and request them to send me any letters and notices in the future.
I'll let you know my story with them also.

phoenix
11-12-2012, 10:34 PM
I just sent letters to the credit bureau, hopefully everything goes smoothly. Has anyone received a response from any of them yet?

arcane
11-13-2012, 01:33 AM
I just sent letters to the credit bureau, hopefully everything goes smoothly. Has anyone received a response from any of them yet?

You will not receive a response. You have to check your credit after a month or two to see if your credit history is assigned to the SSN.

iazv8
11-13-2012, 05:17 AM
Would I need to send letters to the credit bureaus if i am sure I have never built credit at all, or would you guys recommend doing it just to be on the safe side. Btw, thanks on such a helpful post.

Dreamer2012
11-13-2012, 08:33 AM
great info.

Osito
11-13-2012, 01:52 PM
I sent in the three letters. I got a response back from Experian and TransUnion that my social could not be verified. i had scanned my new social security card as well as sent in a copy of my ITIN letter i received years ago. Gotta call em and see what's up.

arcane
11-13-2012, 02:21 PM
Would I need to send letters to the credit bureaus if i am sure I have never built credit at all, or would you guys recommend doing it just to be on the safe side. Btw, thanks on such a helpful post.

To check your credit history (if you have any), you have to obtain your credit report. The ONLY website that can let you get ONE free credit report per year is AnnualCreditReport.com (you can obtain your credit report from all three credit agencies).

arcane
11-13-2012, 02:22 PM
I sent in the three letters. I got a response back from Experian and TransUnion that my social could not be verified. i had scanned my new social security card as well as sent in a copy of my ITIN letter i received years ago. Gotta call em and see what's up.

How long did it take to receive a response from them? I sent mine on Nov. 2nd.

Osito
11-13-2012, 03:23 PM
about 2 weeks. i sent it in around october 29th and got a response on Saturday.

arcane
11-13-2012, 05:06 PM
about 2 weeks. i sent it in around october 29th and got a response on Saturday.

Did it specify what to do though?

Osito
11-13-2012, 05:26 PM
yeah, the transunion wanted me to resend a copy of my SSN again even though i sent that in the first time. Equifax didn't say anything, it just said that they couldn't verify my new SSN but it had a copy of my credit report and recent credit inquiries of my ITIN number so i'm not quite sure what the deal was there. I have to call them when I get home, figured they'd be closed yesterday because of Vets day and I'm at work all day today. Will update once I talk to em.

arcane
11-13-2012, 07:21 PM
yeah, the transunion wanted me to resend a copy of my SSN again even though i sent that in the first time. Equifax didn't say anything, it just said that they couldn't verify my new SSN but it had a copy of my credit report and recent credit inquiries of my ITIN number so i'm not quite sure what the deal was there. I have to call them when I get home, figured they'd be closed yesterday because of Vets day and I'm at work all day today. Will update once I talk to em.

cool, keep us updated!

Neksrov
11-14-2012, 03:33 AM
Very helpful indeed. Thanks!

angelchen1111
11-14-2012, 11:43 AM
The IRS will send you letter to you that the ITIN will go away and be substituted by the real SSN instead. They know it automatically without having you to notify them. That's what happened to me before.

arcane
11-14-2012, 05:36 PM
I got a letter from TransUnion today. It was a copy of my credit report and it reflected my new SSN :)

so success! TransUnion successfully transfered my credit history from my ITIN to my new SSN
now I will wait for the other two agencies to do the same.

Osito
11-14-2012, 06:09 PM
damn it you're ahead of me now! :-P

still gotta call em and see what's up. tomorrow....

arcane
11-14-2012, 07:14 PM
damn it you're ahead of me now! :-P

still gotta call em and see what's up. tomorrow....

Well that is just TransUnion, havent heard from the other two agencies yet.

phoenix
11-14-2012, 09:39 PM
Congratulations Arcane! Hopefully it also goes smoothly for me, especially since I'm transferring credit from the fake social to the good one...

Chekin
11-15-2012, 01:21 AM
Congratulations Arcane! Hopefully it also goes smoothly for me, especially since I'm transferring credit from the fake social to the good one...

Any updates on this? I'm in the same boat than you. I sent the three letters today. Made up social as well.

WhotheDoctor
11-15-2012, 01:32 AM
i had an ITIN number and would use it instead of SSN to get college classes during high school and they accepted me :)

arcane
11-15-2012, 05:10 PM
Today I received a letter form Equifax stating: "We have reviewed your concerns and our conclusions are: Please contact your creditors to provide your social security number to them."

what the...? O_0

by creditors they mean the ones I have loans with (credit cards at the moment)?

Osito
11-15-2012, 05:23 PM
Yeah, Equifax sucks. I reread my letter and they asked me to resend copy of my ssn, state id, and bills in my name. sigh.

Experian changed my number over. Haven't heard back from TransUnion.

arcane
11-16-2012, 06:28 PM
I called Equifax and they stated they had all documentation necessary to make the transfer and it usually takes 30-60 business days, so to call back in January to verify if the transfer succeeded 0_o so I guess they are slower than the other two.

Have not heard from Experian yet. Hopefully next week.

Dreamer12905
11-17-2012, 08:48 AM
So what if I have a itin number that had a not so good credit history, and i dont want to transfer my score on my new ssn will that be a problem? If it wont be a problem, Which bank is not so strict to apply a CC?

I have a BA account using my ITIN with a credit card but im bot sure how good the credit score because most of the time im late with payments and pay only minumum.

Jjimd55
11-17-2012, 01:25 PM

I sent my letters 2-3 weeks ago. So far, I've actually gotten two responses. One from Equifax which said my SSN was updated in the report and one from Experian which simply wanted to verify my address, so they just asked for a copy of ID with current address and utility bill.

arcane
11-19-2012, 04:12 PM
Got my credit report now from Experian. They do not disclose SSN on the report, so I was unsure if the new SSN was updated. Also, they kept my mom's maiden name. I called them to delete my mom's maiden name and to verify if my SSN was transfered.
They agent on the phone edited my name and confirmed my SSN, so Experian is good to go.

If you have problems with Experian, I suggest you call them to sort out problems. Also you can view your credit report online (if you have a report number) at www.experian.com/view

dreamerperson
11-20-2012, 09:22 AM
So I have never had a credit card, nor have I ever made a loan. All my taxes have been under my ITIN, and my FEIN. Need your guys' input on this.

Would I still be required to do this process? I will definitely need to rescind my ITIN, but what about the credit reporting agencies? Is that still necessary?

arcane
11-20-2012, 01:47 PM
So I have never had a credit card, nor have I ever made a loan. All my taxes have been under my ITIN, and my FEIN. Need your guys' input on this.

Would I still be required to do this process? I will definitely need to rescind my ITIN, but what about the credit reporting agencies? Is that still necessary?

Nope...they will just send you letters saying "unable to find credit history" or something like that.
If for some reason you suspect you might have credit (either good or bad), you can always obtain your free credit report from all 3 agencies filling out this form http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/resources/forms/requestformfinal.pdf

Unicklymade
11-20-2012, 05:32 PM
very important thread

I've had an ITIN since High school. I started working since the age of 19 (about to be 29 in Jan) and I've never filed taxes. The only think I've used my ITIN for was to open a bank account and a few past employers have used it instead of a social, when I got w-2 or 1099 I never filed. I remember getting at least 2 letters from ss saying that earnings were reported for me but they had no ss on file, I never responded, that was yearssss ago. I've never used it for any credit cards or anything like that . should I still have it rescind? should I also transfer those earning to the new ss? will there be a penalty when I am finally able to file taxes?

arcane
11-20-2012, 08:31 PM
very important thread

I've had an ITIN since High school. I started working since the age of 19 (about to be 29 in Jan) and I've never filed taxes. The only think I've used my ITIN for was to open a bank account and a few past employers have used it instead of a social, when I got w-2 or 1099 I never filed. I remember getting at least 2 letters from ss saying that earnings were reported for me but they had no ss on file, I never responded, that was yearssss ago. I've never used it for any credit cards or anything like that . should I still have it rescind? should I also transfer those earning to the new ss? will there be a penalty when I am finally able to file taxes?

Yep, rescind your ITIN since your SSN replaces it (it says so right on the ITIN letter). Regarding your issue for not filing taxes all these years and the unclaimed SS earnings letter, you will have to consult with a Certified Public Accountant.

Unicklymade
11-21-2012, 11:25 AM
Yep, rescind your ITIN since your SSN replaces it (it says so right on the ITIN letter). Regarding your issue for not filing taxes all these years and the unclaimed SS earnings letter, you will have to consult with a Certified Public Accountant.

Thank you

sweetpea
11-26-2012, 02:41 PM

You can get some back. Especially for Earned Income Credit. We're getting back $1700 :)

arcane
12-14-2012, 05:19 PM
glad this forum helping others spread the word on the info we have collected and gathered
http://www.lclaa.org/index.php/lclaa-blog/entry/post-daca

can'twait!!!
12-17-2012, 02:19 PM
Guys I need help, I applied for a social security almost 4 weeks ago I went to get a printout because I need my social before christmas!... and they told me I dont have a number yet, because immigration hast not verify my info yet. I called and on the phone they told me the same thing... how much time did u wait for ur social?

LilianaaC
12-17-2012, 11:01 PM
I don't know if this has been asked, but do minors have to rescind their ITIN?

arcane
12-18-2012, 06:00 PM
I don't know if this has been asked, but do minors have to rescind their ITIN?

Yes, if they were assigned a new SSN. Their parent or legal guardian must do it for them though.

Juanjo
12-19-2012, 12:12 AM
Submitted my letters, requesting my credit transfers, about three weeks ago, and received responses from TransUnion and Experian this week. TransUnion managed to transfer my credit history to my SSN, successfully. Experian, on the other hand, said they don't transfer credit history. :S That I have to let my creditors know of my SSN and they will update and report my credit history to them. I decided I'll wait till the end of the year, or January, and check again. Still waiting on a response from Equifax. I'll keep you guys posted.

Osito
12-20-2012, 10:15 AM
So I was able to check my credit on Credit Karma. I have a 705, not great but not bad. All of my credit history from Bank of America transferred and so did Capital One. I am happy. :)

arcane
12-20-2012, 02:06 PM
Have not heard of Credit Karma, but will check it out to see what's my credit score.

Osito
12-20-2012, 03:42 PM
Credit Karma gets its credit score from TransUnion. It doesn't have the other two, but hey, it's something.

anaheim1503
12-21-2012, 09:32 PM
What if I still owe taxes from last year, should I pay them off first before telling them, or should I tell them right away?. I barely got my social today

dreamerperson
12-22-2012, 12:21 PM
The IRS will send you letter to you that the ITIN will go away and be substituted by the real SSN instead. They know it automatically without having you to notify them. That's what happened to me before.

I sent a letter to the IRS informing them of my new SSN (and enclosed copies of both my ITIN and the SS card) almost two weeks ago. But I haven't received confirmation of it. Did you all receive a letter from the IRS or do you have to call? What exactly is the protocol to follow given a certain period of time has passed since you've sent the letter?

Resistant
12-22-2012, 02:25 PM
I sent a letter to the IRS informing them of my new SSN (and enclosed copies of both my ITIN and the SS card) almost two weeks ago. But I haven't received confirmation of it. Did you all receive a letter from the IRS or do you have to call? What exactly is the protocol to follow given a certain period of time has passed since you've sent the letter?

OUCH!!

I will just go in person so i wouldn't have to send a stranger a copy of my SSN and ITIN.

clarmanks
12-22-2012, 05:52 PM

OUCH!!

I will just go in person so i wouldn't have to send a stranger a copy of my SSN and ITIN.

I did it both ways, I went to the IRS office with my mom to do mine and hers (she's a perminent resident) and I also sent a letter to them, I recieved a letter a week ago and they still working on it and I did this back in October, they say they need more time to transfers my info to my ssn. My mom recieved a letter from the IRS saying that they succesfully transfered her Itin history over to her SSN. The last person I talked to on the phone from the IRS told me that would've been easier if I would've just done it by phone, I told her I didnt know I could do that since I was just going with whatever the Itin letter said, but my whole process should be done by the end of December shey said and If it takes longer than that then I should do my taxes with my SSN because it should be done by then.

dreamerperson
12-23-2012, 10:57 AM
I did it both ways, I went to the IRS office with my mom to do mine and hers (she's a perminent resident) and I also sent a letter to them, I recieved a letter a week ago and they still working on it and I did this back in October, they say they need more time to transfers my info to my ssn. My mom recieved a letter from the IRS saying that they succesfully transfered her Itin history over to her SSN. The last person I talked to on the phone from the IRS told me that would've been easier if I would've just done it by phone, I told her I didnt know I could do that since I was just going with whatever the Itin letter said, but my whole process should be done by the end of December shey said and If it takes longer than that then I should do my taxes with my SSN because it should be done by then.

Wow, you sent this info in October and they didn't get back to you until recently? So it does take some time...

Thanks for the info. I think I'll just contact my local office first, then try to contact the Austin ITIN operation and see if I can get any info on progress.

DD4S
12-26-2012, 02:44 AM
Great info here. I too want to transfer my taxes to my new social.
For the last few years i have used my ITIN and a SSN that i got of the streets and turns out it belongs to some one.... I dont have any credit on my ITIN ( i dint even know this was possible i thought it was just for tax purposes ONLY) I just want to transfer my tax records and build new credit.
Reading all the pages it looks like the IRS will automatically link up both numbers. I just want to make sure it happens last thing i want is to owe taxes.
How will the IRS know to link up the ITIN with the new social? Dosent it already think that ITIN is associate it with the "other Social"?

How did some of you just go to the SS office and say... oh i have a fake social that may or may not belong to some one that i been using for the past years associates with my ITIN... i want to transfer those eranings into my new SSN... I would be scared shitless!!!

PS: i am so freaking stocked!!!!

arcane
12-26-2012, 01:45 PM
Great info here. I too want to transfer my taxes to my new social.
For the last few years i have used my ITIN and a SSN that i got of the streets and turns out it belongs to some one.... I dont have any credit on my ITIN ( i dint even know this was possible i thought it was just for tax purposes ONLY) I just want to transfer my tax records and build new credit.
Reading all the pages it looks like the IRS will automatically link up both numbers. I just want to make sure it happens last thing i want is to owe taxes.
How will the IRS know to link up the ITIN with the new social? Dosent it already think that ITIN is associate it with the "other Social"?

How did some of you just go to the SS office and say... oh i have a fake social that may or may not belong to some one that i been using for the past years associates with my ITIN... i want to transfer those eranings into my new SSN... I would be scared shitless!!!

PS: i am so freaking stocked!!!!

I dont know about transferring credit and taxes from fake SSN to new SSN. You may want to ask a CPA before doing so.

The article is solely on ITIN to SSN.

cajeta21
01-03-2013, 01:12 AM
Ok, so I read through all 10 pages of posts and I just want to know which is better, going to the IRS office or the the SSO to transfer taxes to my ssn? I feel a bit paranoid about writing a letter and including a copy of my social. I've only used my ITIN for tax purposes, also some of you said that when you called the IRS they said that past taxes processed with your ITIN will automatically be transferred to your social when you file for the first time using your new social, does this mean that going to the SSO with all your W2 forms is pointless? HELP!!!!!!!!!!! I'M SO CONFUSED :(

arcane
01-03-2013, 03:09 AM
Ok, so I read through all 10 pages of posts and I just want to know which is better, going to the IRS office or the the SSO to transfer taxes to my ssn? I feel a bit paranoid about writing a letter and including a copy of my social. I've only used my ITIN for tax purposes, also some of you said that when you called the IRS they said that past taxes processed with your ITIN will automatically be transferred to your social when you file for the first time using your new social, does this mean that going to the SSO with all your W2 forms is pointless? HELP!!!!!!!!!!! I'M SO CONFUSED :(

Well the IRS specifically states on their website to write them a letter, but others claimed it can be done over the phone or in person at an IRS office. The choice boils down for you as to which is more convenient for you.

cajeta21
01-03-2013, 11:24 PM
Well the IRS specifically states on their website to write them a letter, but others claimed it can be done over the phone or in person at an IRS office. The choice boils down for you as to which is more convenient for you.

Thank you Arcane! I'll probably go to an IRS office just because I'm so paranoid.

brz09tls
01-04-2013, 12:34 AM
I sent a letter, never got anything back but i assume they have it handled. When i file my taxes this year, I will now use my SSN only.

You can also check your previous tax records for the 4 years prior to the current one on the IRS website so I will do that once i file it this year to see if they transferred my old records.

Mandu
01-05-2013, 02:27 AM
I was reading the instructions on how to rescind your ITIN and I've got a problem. According to the instructions, "Send a letter to the IRS’s ITIN operation with a request to rescind your ITIN number. Be sure to include copies of your ITIN and SSN." Well I lost my ITIN card, so I can't include a copy of it. Will giving them the ITIN number suffice?

arcane
01-05-2013, 04:23 AM
I was reading the instructions on how to rescind your ITIN and I've got a problem. According to the instructions, "Send a letter to the IRS’s ITIN operation with a request to rescind your ITIN number. Be sure to include copies of your ITIN and SSN." Well I lost my ITIN card, so I can't include a copy of it. Will giving them the ITIN number suffice?

you can obtain a copy at a local IRS office. Let them know you lost it

alexmtz101
01-06-2013, 02:47 PM
So, after reading this thread I have to do the following:

Rescind my ITIN by sending a letter to the IRS.
and
Transfer my earnings from my made up social by going to the SSA office with my W2's.
I've never established credit so contacting the agencies is irrelevant.
Right?

arcane
01-06-2013, 02:54 PM
So, after reading this thread I have to do the following:

Rescind my ITIN by sending a letter to the IRS.
and
Transfer my earnings from my made up social by going to the SSA office with my W2's.
I've never established credit so contacting the agencies is irrelevant.
Right?

You dont have to transfer your earnings from fake ssn if you filed taxes with your ITIN (if you rescind ITIN)

brz09tls
01-06-2013, 10:30 PM
Yeah, you don't have to go to the SSA and say "hey i had a fake SSN before, i'm here transfer my earnings to the new SSN". lol

Any tax-related stuff, you gotta take it to the IRS anyway, not SSA.

Jimegirl87
01-08-2013, 04:22 PM
Hi, I had a question. I've had an itin since I was 12 when I first came here, however I have never used it for anything besides opening my bank account because I have never been able to work, therefore I have never filed taxes. Is it necessary for me to rescind the number? I called the IRS and they said since I have never filed taxes, the moment I do it with my new ssn they will link up the itin with the ssn. I am confused because it seemed to me that I knew more about the topic than the rep that was helping me. After I mentioned that I had seen online that I needed to rescind the number by sending a letter she agreed with me and gave me an address but it doesn't even have a PO Box number or anything, just Austin, TX because she said it is a service center. Help please!

arcane
01-08-2013, 05:20 PM
Hi, I had a question. I've had an itin since I was 12 when I first came here, however I have never used it for anything besides opening my bank account because I have never been able to work, therefore I have never filed taxes. Is it necessary for me to rescind the number? I called the IRS and they said since I have never filed taxes, the moment I do it with my new ssn they will link up the itin with the ssn. I am confused because it seemed to me that I knew more about the topic than the rep that was helping me. After I mentioned that I had seen online that I needed to rescind the number by sending a letter she agreed with me and gave me an address but it doesn't even have a PO Box number or anything, just Austin, TX because she said it is a service center. Help please!

The ITIN letter that you get when you first obtain your ITIN, clearly states you must rescind your ITIN once get you get a SSN. So send the letter as instructed in the original post. Also go to your bank and let them know about your new SSN so they can update your records.

betofrancojr
01-11-2013, 05:40 AM

I sent a letter to IRS requesting to rescind my ITIN & update my SSN and never received a response. After 2 months, I called them directly and they advised it was no longer necessary. They said to just report Taxes from now on with newly assigned SSN. I called my Tax preparer and she confirmed that all my information from previous years using ITIn will link after filing. It seems like rescinding your ITIN was a previous process and now redundant.

cacheton011
01-11-2013, 01:09 PM
I sent them the letter and they sent me a letter with my ITIN#, which is odd since I sent them the original letter stating my ITIN#.

In the letter it clearly says to rescind the ITIN with newly assigned SSN if you're a legal resident alien. We are not legal.....so, how did you guys deal with this?

karega
01-11-2013, 01:42 PM
I sent them the letter and they sent me a letter with my ITIN#, which is odd since I sent them the original letter stating my ITIN#.

In the letter it clearly says to rescind the ITIN with newly assigned SSN if you're a legal resident alien. We are not legal.....so, how did you guys deal with this?

When I applied for my SSN, I asked them about this. They said to return after I received my SSN, with all my W-2s attached to my ITIN and they will transfer it. Other than that, they don't need anything.

I received my SSN today. I'll keep you updated.

Jimegirl87
01-12-2013, 02:35 AM
I sent a letter to IRS requesting to rescind my ITIN & update my SSN and never received a response. After 2 months, I called them directly and they advised it was no longer necessary. They said to just report Taxes from now on with newly assigned SSN. I called my Tax preparer and she confirmed that all my information from previous years using ITIn will link after filing. It seems like rescinding your ITIN was a previous process and now redundant.

I was told something very similar to that seeing as I have never filed taxes with my itin anyway, she said that as soon as I start filing taxes I should do it with my ssn and they will link all of the information somehow. I guess I'll send the letter just so they have a record that I did try to rescind the number, what they do after that is up to them.

Dreamgirl08
01-23-2013, 02:37 PM
i been having my ssn number but only writing a letter to the IRS to rescind my ITIN. since i just started using my itin number last yr, i was not able to file taxes frm the previous year beacuse i did not make enough. i gave my employer my ssn as soon as i got it. now in order for me to rescind my itin i need to give them a copy of it but i do not have my original itin card. is it possible to just give them a written copy of it?

ernier
01-23-2013, 03:07 PM
When I applied for my SSN, I asked them about this. They said to return after I received my SSN, with all my W-2s attached to my ITIN and they will transfer it. Other than that, they don't need anything.

I received my SSN today. I'll keep you updated.

Can you update us karega?

hopedreamer2811
01-24-2013, 11:51 AM
Hi, I don't know if this was answered before, but I got my approved and everything, got my SSN, but I haven't gone to my employer yet. This is a small town, and I can't reveal everything without putting my parents in jeopardy, so I'm stuck with the "other SSN" that I put. I was going to say I lost it, but one: it has for work only on it, and two: I was thinking I won't be working there much longer anyways. Anyways, for taxes this year, I still haven't switched my ITIN to my SSN...so for my taxes, should I still change to the SSN I was given and then do the taxes anyways? I'm worried that's a big no no and don't want to do anything to jeopardize myself. Or do I just file with ITIN for now and switch after I do my taxes?

arcane
01-29-2013, 03:12 AM
Hi, I don't know if this was answered before, but I got my approved and everything, got my SSN, but I haven't gone to my employer yet. This is a small town, and I can't reveal everything without putting my parents in jeopardy, so I'm stuck with the "other SSN" that I put. I was going to say I lost it, but one: it has for work only on it, and two: I was thinking I won't be working there much longer anyways. Anyways, for taxes this year, I still haven't switched my ITIN to my SSN...so for my taxes, should I still change to the SSN I was given and then do the taxes anyways? I'm worried that's a big no no and don't want to do anything to jeopardize myself. Or do I just file with ITIN for now and switch after I do my taxes?

Everyone is designated one number. SSN replaces ITIN. If you report taxes with your ITIN AFTER having a SSN, you will get in trouble because the ITIN is no longer valid and it will look like you are filing with a # that isnt yours.

If you havent rescind your ITIN, do so immediately, so IRS can update their system. Many filing their taxes with their new SSN but without rescinding are risking of possible delays from system not being updated.

Jjimd55
01-29-2013, 03:22 AM
When I got my SSN, I sent the letter to rescind my ITIN. However, my W-2 still has my old, made up social. So I tried doing my taxes myself using software, it all goes good until I try to file, that's when it tells me that my SSN and the SSN on the w-2 don't match. I never had this problem last year when I used my ITIN. Guess I'll just have to go have someone professional do them for me.

arcane
01-29-2013, 01:15 PM
When I got my SSN, I sent the letter to rescind my ITIN. However, my W-2 still has my old, made up social. So I tried doing my taxes myself using software, it all goes good until I try to file, that's when it tells me that my SSN and the SSN on the w-2 don't match. I never had this problem last year when I used my ITIN. Guess I'll just have to go have someone professional do them for me.

Yeah the system does not know that you were the one with the fake ssn using it now that you have a valid SSN. They implement less security blocks on ITINs than SSN.

mpparwc
01-29-2013, 01:58 PM
Yeah the system does not know that you were the one with the fake ssn using it now that you have a valid SSN. They implement less security blocks on ITINs than SSN.

What is your advice on this? I have the same issue.

Xeus
01-30-2013, 08:27 PM
I've sent in the "Annual Credit Report Request Form" and also the three letters regarding my credit history transfer from my ITIN to my new SSN.

So I was wondering if I sent all those documents in on the same day, if they were to transfer my credit history over to my new SSN FIRST, will they still be able to provide me with my credit report on my ITIN number after they did the transfer?

arcane
01-30-2013, 09:16 PM
I've sent in the "Annual Credit Report Request Form" and also the three letters regarding my credit history transfer from my ITIN to my new SSN.

So I was wondering if I sent all those documents in on the same day, if they were to transfer my credit history over to my new SSN FIRST, will they still be able to provide me with my credit report on my ITIN number after they did the transfer?

You clearly have a problem following instructions dont you? Or simply do not care for reading what you are suppose to do.

read number 6 http://www.ehow.com/how_6758058_transfer-history-newly-assigned-ssn.html

arcane
01-30-2013, 09:21 PM
What is your advice on this? I have the same issue.

Never file taxes with a SSN that is NOT yours. File using ITIN.

If you obtained your SSN already, and filing taxes on your own with a software such as Turbo Tax, AND your W-2 contains a SSN that is not yours, the system MIGHT detect a red flag or security block. Just go file your taxes with an accountant and explain that you were working for a SSN that is not yours, but were filing under your ITIN, but now because of DACA, you have a legit SSN and need to file using your legit SSN.

Xeus
01-31-2013, 12:19 AM
You clearly have a problem following instructions dont you? Or simply do not care for reading what you are suppose to do.

read number 6 http://www.ehow.com/how_6758058_transfer-history-newly-assigned-ssn.html

I DID read everything on there but I have a special reason why I decided to send in the "Annual Credit Report Request Form" at the same time I gave in my request letters, it is explained in my pm I just sent you.

GiveMeAChance
01-31-2013, 06:58 AM
Never file taxes with a SSN that is NOT yours. File using ITIN.

If you obtained your SSN already, and filing taxes on your own with a software such as Turbo Tax, AND your W-2 contains a SSN that is not yours, the system MIGHT detect a red flag or security block. Just go file your taxes with an accountant and explain that you were working for a SSN that is not yours, but were filing under your ITIN, but now because of DACA, you have a legit SSN and need to file using your legit SSN.

Please let us know what happens. I'm in the same situation.

arcane
01-31-2013, 12:18 PM
Please let us know what happens. I'm in the same situation.

I'm not in the situation

arcane
01-31-2013, 12:23 PM
I DID read everything on there but I have a special reason why I decided to send in the "Annual Credit Report Request Form" at the same time I gave in my request letters, it is explained in my pm I just sent you.

If you want to find out your credit history, you should've mailed "Annual Credit Report Request Form" first, THEN WAIT until your credit report(s) arrived in the mail to revise them. Then send the 3 letters to the agencies to transfer ITIN to SSN. Then wait until next year to send "Annual Credit Report Request Form" to confirm if it was switched correctly because you are only allowed one report per agency per year (unless you decide to pay).

My advice would be to send the 3 letters to transfer ITIN to SSN, then wait a month or two (as stated on #6 http://www.ehow.com/how_6758058_transfer-history-newly-assigned-ssn.html ) and mail in the "Annual Credit Report Request Form" using your SSN.

Sending everything all in the same time frame will yield confusion.

cacheton011
01-31-2013, 01:58 PM
Can you update us karega?

He probably got deported. I'm just going to wait until I'm a citizen to transfer the SS credits to my new SSN.

shalowbeast
02-02-2013, 01:08 AM
I read somewhere here that you can rescind your ITIN from the phone. If it so then do we have to call out local IRS office or what?

mantgar
02-03-2013, 05:36 PM

HI Phoenix were you able to successfully transfer the credit reportf rom made up number to new ssn?

mldndjm
02-03-2013, 06:27 PM
Do i have to transfer my credit history?? I really dont want to since i have had bad credit on ITIN?

arcane
02-11-2013, 02:44 PM
Do i have to transfer my credit history?? I really dont want to since i have had bad credit on ITIN?

Not required, but I suppose you can start fresh with your new SSN if you have bad history on your ITIN. But those with good credit history under their ITIN, it is strongly encouraged to transfer so you wont have to start from scratch again.

faaya
02-11-2013, 09:29 PM
I sent a letter to all 3 credit bureaus and IRS about 2 weeks ago.

Last week I received 3 letters from the 3 credit bureaus stating my updated credit history as well as a copy of my credit history.

I have yet to get a letter from IRS (if any).

Guti_90
02-14-2013, 06:32 PM
The adress on my ITIN paper is different . Do I still send it to this adress? Or the one in the paper?

It says

For assistance call us at:
(215)516-ITIN(4846)
This is not a toll free number

Or you may write to us at:

Internal Revenue Service
Post Office Box 447
Bensalem, PA 19020

arcane
02-15-2013, 12:08 PM
The adress on my ITIN paper is different . Do I still send it to this adress? Or the one in the paper?

It says

For assistance call us at:
(215)516-ITIN(4846)
This is not a toll free number

Or you may write to us at:

Internal Revenue Service
Post Office Box 447
Bensalem, PA 19020

Internal Revenue Service
ITIN Operation
P.O. Box 149342
Austin, TX 78714-9342

arcane
02-20-2013, 06:20 PM
I received a letter today from the IRS stating they revoked my ITIN because I have a SSN now. I sent the letter requesting the IRS to rescind my ITIN back in November. Here is the letter from the IRS if anyone is curious.

http://s4.postimage.org/mby4kn13h/Screen_shot_2013_02_20_at_4_13_03_PM.png

MadMan
02-20-2013, 09:07 PM
I received the same letter a couple of days ago. I also sent them a letter last year Oct/Nov asking them to revoke my ITIN. A few months for a response. Speedy.

brz09tls
02-20-2013, 09:37 PM
Did both of you filed taxes this past month? You probably got it because you filed your taxes with the new SSN and that's why they sent the revoke letter.

Guti_90
02-20-2013, 11:31 PM
Do I have to wait until I get that letter or can I file my taxes now?

MadMan
02-21-2013, 02:03 AM
Did both of you filed taxes this past month? You probably got it because you filed your taxes with the new SSN and that's why they sent the revoke letter.

Indeed I did. That makes sense. Although, a letter way back when would have been nice too. I still think when I first sent that letter it got lost in the mail and someone has my ss#.

arcane
02-21-2013, 04:26 PM

after filing with new SSN.

Do I have to wait until I get that letter or can I file my taxes now?

No, file taxes with your new SSN.

brz09tls
02-21-2013, 07:34 PM
http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Order-a-Transcript

Just checked my records with my NEW SSN and it looks like i have copies dating from 2009, when i used my ITIN.

That means they already transferred my tax records from the ITIN. That's one way you can check if you filed before this year.

Xeus
02-26-2013, 08:37 PM

Selective Service System
P.O. Box 94636
Palatine, IL 60094-4636

Is it a better idea to not sign up for this, what happen if we get drafted to go to the war after we sign up for it? Can anybody elaborate on this whether if it's mandatory for us to sign up because I never heard about this from anyone, none of my friends talked about this and they are citizens/green card holder etc.

Anyone actually followed this guide and went ahead to apply for this selective service please leave your feedback here, thank you.

vvarela106
02-26-2013, 08:54 PM
By Law you have to sign up

arcane
02-26-2013, 09:39 PM

Selective Service System
P.O. Box 94636
Palatine, IL 60094-4636

Is it a better idea to not sign up for this, what happen if we get drafted to go to the war after we sign up for it? Can anybody elaborate on this whether if it's mandatory for us to sign up because I never heard about this from anyone, none of my friends talked about this and they are citizens/green card holder etc.

Anyone actually followed this guide and went ahead to apply for this selective service please leave your feedback here, thank you.

Is mandatory, even if undocumented. Any guy applying for FAFSA, it automatically signs you up. But you dont have to after 25 yrs of age.

They talk about it in your senior year of high school and get a letter once you turn 18 years of age. Surprised you were not aware of it. You probably already signed up back in high school without even knowing. Verify if that is the case.

FYI "Men who have registered remain eligible for federal student aid, most federal jobs, and federal job training. Male non-citizens living in the U.S. who are 18 through 25 must register to remain eligible for citizenship"
https://www.sss.gov/RegVer/wfRegistration.aspx

so if you dont sign up, you won't be able to become a citizen in the future. My brother became a USC two years ago, and they asked for his Selective Service number.

Xeus
02-27-2013, 10:42 PM
Is mandatory, even if undocumented. Any guy applying for FAFSA, it automatically signs you up. But you dont have to after 25 yrs of age.

They talk about it in your senior year of high school and get a letter once you turn 18 years of age. Surprised you were not aware of it. You probably already signed up back in high school without even knowing. Verify if that is the case.

FYI "Men who have registered remain eligible for federal student aid, most federal jobs, and federal job training. Male non-citizens living in the U.S. who are 18 through 25 must register to remain eligible for citizenship"
https://www.sss.gov/RegVer/wfRegistration.aspx

so if you dont sign up, you won't be able to become a citizen in the future. My brother became a USC two years ago, and they asked for his Selective Service number.

We can't even apply for Federal student aid, FAFSA or anything like that anyway with our status. But if this will benefit me in the future I'm gonna have to apply for it then. :neutral:

arcane
02-28-2013, 07:22 PM
We can't even apply for Federal student aid, FAFSA or anything like that anyway with our status. But if this will benefit me in the future I'm gonna have to apply for it then. :neutral:

I applied for FAFSA (and got denied obviously) to have proof on paper to show my scholarships the lack of government aid I was receiving and how scholarships were my only option to pay for school.

Xeus
03-03-2013, 11:29 PM
I applied for FAFSA (and got denied obviously) to have proof on paper to show my scholarships the lack of government aid I was receiving and how scholarships were my only option to pay for school.

That's a good move not gonna lie pal. Do you know anything regarding health insurance application with our EAC & social security number?

coco91
03-06-2013, 01:20 PM
Do we have to do this whole three credit bureaus thing if we have never had a credit card or requested credit???
I have never applied for a credit card so I don't have a credit history at all. I did the IRS thing and went to my bank to switch the ITIN to my SSN in my account but that's it...

Does this show up in my employer's background check? i am waiting a response on that and am nervous they won't hire me because of my lack of background or not validating my social.

arcane
03-06-2013, 02:29 PM
Do we have to do this whole three credit bureaus thing if we have never had a credit card or requested credit???
I have never applied for a credit card so I don't have a credit history at all. I did the IRS thing and went to my bank to switch the ITIN to my SSN in my account but that's it...

Does this show up in my employer's background check? i am waiting a response on that and am nervous they won't hire me because of my lack of background or not validating my social.

If you do not have credit, then transferring credit does not apply to you, since, what is there to transfer?
So don't worry about it.

arcane
08-02-2013, 05:05 PM
bump this thread since many asking same questions relating to this thread

arcane
08-03-2013, 02:53 PM
who are the moderators here? they should sticky this thread...too many threads asking for the same questions

jcat
08-05-2013, 05:13 AM
Thanks. Great post. Sent my letter to ITIN

Gina15
08-05-2013, 01:18 PM
Hey guys so I filed tax amendments for 2009, 2010 and 2011 right after I received my 2012 tax return, which was my first return using my new social security. In the past I had used my ITIN to file my tax returns. I was told my tax armaments would take 8 to 12 weeks to get processed it's been more than 15 weeks and I have not heard back from the IRS.
I called in three weeks ago and I was told it was still pending. Is anyone else in here in this situation? Now I'm wondering if my tax preparer did something wrong with my amendments or if this is normal IRS time frame ???

arcane
08-05-2013, 02:19 PM
Hey guys so I filed tax amendments for 2009, 2010 and 2011 right after I received my 2012 tax return, which was my first return using my new social security. In the past I had used my ITIN to file my tax returns. I was told my tax armaments would take 8 to 12 weeks to get processed it's been more than 15 weeks and I have not heard back from the IRS.
I called in three weeks ago and I was told it was still pending. Is anyone else in here in this situation? Now I'm wondering if my tax preparer did something wrong with my amendments or if this is normal IRS time frame ???

Huh? You filed 2009, 2010, 2011 with your ITIN, then amended them with your new SSN? You were suppose to just rescind your ITIN, which they will transfer all info associated with ITIN to your new SSN, not amend your previous tax returns which you filed under your ITIN.

Gina15
08-05-2013, 03:51 PM
I filed 2009 in February of 2010, 2010 tax return in February of 2011 etc. Not all at once. My tax preparer told me that I could file amendments for the last three years to receive the credits I was unable to receive before because I was using an ITIN, primarily the child tax credit for my son. At the same the amendments were going to be used to rescind ITIN and notify IRS of the new SSN.

Whydontilook
08-06-2013, 01:37 PM
I filed 2009 in February of 2010, 2010 tax return in February of 2011 etc. Not all at once. My tax preparer told me that I could file amendments for the last three years to receive the credits I was unable to receive before because I was using an ITIN, primarily the child tax credit for my son. At the same the amendments were going to be used to rescind ITIN and notify IRS of the new SSN.

Correct you would also qualify for the 2009 and 2010 work credit ($400) each year. My sister and brother both dis their ammendment in January and my brother got his money last month and my sister hasnt gotten anything. So just call the IRS to make sure your info is correct especially if theres a discrepency with your name or personal information.

Whydontilook
08-06-2013, 01:56 PM
I'm in the process of transferrin my amazing credit:

Called my creditors BoFA and Capital one to update my SSN. Bofa did it over the phone but Cap One needs copy of my SSN and ID which i'll fax. DONE

Called the credit beaureus- they told me to fac them a copy of my SSN and ID and they will update it. DONE

I'll check in a few months because my creditors are in charged of reporting my credit monthly so you gotta make sure you talk to all your creditors!

Berdiseba
08-13-2013, 07:04 PM
Excellent thread!

brz09tls
08-13-2013, 09:01 PM
Excellent thread!

I've been in the country for almost 10 years now. Recently this march I obtained my green card/social security number, etc.

I also have a tax id number, which has really bad delinquency debt, for several years now. Can my credit get clean with my new ssn number? If so, what do I need to do? I haven't used my tax id number for years now. But now that I want to use my ssn for credit cards, loans, etc it says that my identity can't be recognize buy at the same time all of the bad history from my tax id number shows up.

Could I contact the credit offices and say "hey this is my ssn number"? Could they come back and say "you have all this debt on your tax id number and it will be transferred"

Is there a solution for me? Thank you!!!

Best advice here? Start fresh and don't tell them anything...

butterflynans
08-13-2013, 09:18 PM
Is the address for that ITIN rescind national? I'm in CA.
Also has anyone transfered their earnings with fake social?

arcane
08-13-2013, 09:30 PM
Is the address for that ITIN rescind national? I'm in CA.
Also has anyone transfered their earnings with fake social?

Yes, address is national.

transfer earnings with fake social? read here http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=61329

Berdiseba
08-13-2013, 09:38 PM
Thank you for your reply.

brz09tls
08-13-2013, 11:40 PM
Don't send anything to any agency. Start using your new SSN and build credit from there... get a secured credit card or a credit card for people with no credit.

Whydontilook
08-14-2013, 12:14 AM
From what Ive heard from people with debt on their Itin is that the debt does find its way to you, dependin on how vicious the creditors go after you. They have addresses, phone numbers and such which can be traced back to you and miraculously appear in your new social as debt..

LA-Dreamer
08-14-2013, 01:19 AM
From what Ive heard from people with debt on their Itin is that the debt does find its way to you, dependin on how vicious the creditors go after you. They have addresses, phone numbers and such which can be traced back to you and miraculously appear in your new social as debt..

Well, all the debts will go away on your record after 7 years.

dreamydream
11-26-2013, 06:36 PM
Deleted

jaqui004
11-27-2013, 02:58 PM
Wow. you summed it up. Thank you. Very Useful Information.

jessebrenele
02-20-2014, 11:06 AM
I'm in the process of transferrin my amazing credit:

Called my creditors BoFA and Capital one to update my SSN. Bofa did it over the phone but Cap One needs copy of my SSN and ID which i'll fax. DONE

Called the credit beaureus- they told me to fac them a copy of my SSN and ID and they will update it. DONE

I'll check in a few months because my creditors are in charged of reporting my credit monthly so you gotta make sure you talk to all your creditors!

How did you even have creditors if you did not have an SSN number, do they not accept ITIN?

arcane
02-16-2015, 07:29 PM
why is this not stickied? lol

arcane
11-02-2015, 01:22 PM
***mods please sticky this thread****

Marty
08-13-2016, 10:10 AM
I like and hate threads like these, because nobody ever mentions if the credit got transferred or not.I'm in the process now mailed my info to all 3 credit bureaus on 8/12

I used a fake SSN when I was younger unbeknownst to me, my parents gave it to me and once Background checks came back faulty they explained to me my legal status. I was to young back then to understand what was going on. when your 10 years old you dont have clue

anyway I got a new SSN and I requested my info to be Xfer. I used a template letter i found earlier in this thread

I will update my situation I'm truly depressed and wondering if taking my life is the way to go. I have no one to talk too about my situation as my parents moved back to my home country

I have been unemployed for 2 months and I found a great job but now I might not be able to work it. I have put on 15 pounds I'm in the dumps

Dream becomes Reality
08-13-2016, 10:30 AM
I like and hate threads like these, because nobody ever mentions if the credit got transferred or not.I'm in the process now mailed my info to all 3 credit bureaus on 8/12

I used a fake SSN when I was younger unbeknownst to me, my parents gave it to me and once Background checks came back faulty they explained to me my legal status. I was to young back then to understand what was going on. when your 10 years old you dont have clue

anyway I got a new SSN and I requested my info to be Xfer. I used a template letter i found earlier in this thread

I will update my situation I'm truly depressed and wondering if taking my life is the way to go. I have no one to talk too about my situation as my parents moved back to my home country

I have been unemployed for 2 months and I found a great job but now I might not be able to work it. I have put on 15 pounds I'm in the dumps

Please keep us posted on how things are going with you, I know you are beyond frustrated with the runaround you have been getting while trying to fix an issue from the past that is a pain to resolve. Please continue to press forward, do not give up. One day you will look back on this situation and it will be a distant memory. I would recommend maybe meeting with a therapist but I know with possible insurance and financial constraints it may not be an option at present. Are you a spiritual person? Perhaps if you attend a particular place speaking with the leader(s) there will help.

Marty
08-13-2016, 05:36 PM
Please keep us posted on how things are going with you, I know you are beyond frustrated with the runaround you have been getting while trying to fix an issue from the past that is a pain to resolve. Please continue to press forward, do not give up. One day you will look back on this situation and it will be a distant memory. I would recommend maybe meeting with a therapist but I know with possible insurance and financial constraints it may not be an option at present. Are you a spiritual person? Perhaps if you attend a particular place speaking with the leader(s) there will help.

Thank you for your support, it means a lot to me. The fact is I have few people in my life and even fewer people I can trust.

Everyday is riddled with anxiety....

I use to mediate and pray as well I need to get back to that

Osito
08-14-2016, 06:05 PM
My history did get transferred from ITIN to SSN in credit report as it shows my current credit card is 8 years old (4 years before DACA). I don't know about the fake SSN though.

Marty
08-15-2016, 09:55 AM

My history did get transferred from ITIN to SSN in credit report as it shows my current credit card is 8 years old (4 years before DACA). I don't know about the fake SSN though.

I feel like I'm screwed every job now a days does a background check even McDonald's

I'm so stressed out

Marty
08-15-2016, 06:20 PM
Update I got this letter from the 3rd Party Background check company

A SSN # Verification search has been completed and discrepancies were found. SSN # provided does not match the SSN # on file at the bureau

It than mentions a former employer

I have no clue what to do is it possible for to get this off my credit report as a mistake?

Marty
08-17-2016, 09:01 AM
GREAT NEWS Y'ALL!!!

SO I DISPUTED THE 3RD PARTY BACKGROUND CHECK, AND WON!!!

all I had to do was fax my social/employment authorization and my ID, it was resolved by Tuesday (bare in my mind I faxed this on Friday so it happened really quick)

I'm overjoyed and I got a job and will be working starting Monday, so this is my last horray I'm gonna party a bit

Thanks everyone for your support, God is good, never lose hope and faith!

:D

Dream becomes Reality
08-17-2016, 12:01 PM
GREAT NEWS Y'ALL!!!

SO I DISPUTED THE 3RD PARTY BACKGROUND CHECK, AND WON!!!

all I had to do was fax my social/employment authorization and my ID, it was resolved by Tuesday (bare in my mind I faxed this on Friday so it happened really quick)

I'm overjoyed and I got a job and will be working starting Monday, so this is my last horray I'm gonna party a bit

Thanks everyone for your support, God is good, never lose hope and faith!

:D

I am so happy for you my friend, congratulations!!! I'm happy you kept positive and kept pushing. Wishing you all the best :).

am1993
03-05-2018, 05:54 PM
Is there a forum on here on how to get an ITIN ?

Demise
03-06-2018, 03:24 PM
Is there a forum on here on how to get an ITIN ?

File W-7 with the IRS.