PDA

View Full Version : ***Credit Transfer Question***

Jg1206
11-03-2012, 11:24 PM
So I already have my EAD, DL and social security card. I have read that you can only transfer your credit history to a new assigned social security number if:

- You may have been the victim of identity theft

or

- Your Social Security number may have been compromised in some other way

Wouldn't I have to admit to committing credit card fraud?

I have a lot of credit history (2008-2012) with the fake social security that I was using before I got the new one in the mail. Does this mean that I have to start all over again from scratch? If anybody has information regarding this please let me know. Thanks.

RAYADO1
11-04-2012, 12:13 AM
WOW how do you know u have a lot of credit??
the first thing they ask you when you wanna check your credit is your SS I mean a real one.

Jg1206
11-04-2012, 12:23 AM
Secured Credit Card. Started with that and after one year I started getting all kinds of offers from different credit card providers. I only had the Matricula id so all my applications were filed out through internet. My ID number was that number thats on the bottom right of the Matricula. After getting approved I would just receive the credit card in the mail. That simple.

phoenix
11-04-2012, 03:48 AM
I have a credit card with Chase and I called them up to make the change. Days later I received a call in which they asked me to provide proof that my old social was assigned to me and proof of my new social. The lady said that I can just send them a copy of my old card and a copy of the new one...

Then I got a letter on the mail that only asks for a copy of my new social, so that's what I'm going to do. I don't want to send them a copy of a false document. Hopefully I'll be fine.

Jg1206
11-04-2012, 02:46 PM
I would do that, but I only have once credit card open right now. The rest of the accounts are closed because I already paid them off. Thos are the accounts I want to transfer over to my new SSN

Feenmi
11-04-2012, 04:20 PM
I'm very curious to see if this works. Keep us updated!

Ayame
11-04-2012, 07:50 PM
What about dreamers who have had credit cards since 2007...with passports and no ssn.....can that be transferred by calling the bank?

Feenmi
11-04-2012, 08:08 PM
What about dreamers who have had credit cards since 2007...with passports and no ssn.....can that be transferred by calling the bank?

If you don't have a ssn added, im thinking you can just call and get it added on there. The OP is asking about credit cards with a false ssn.

arcane
11-05-2012, 01:06 PM
So I already have my EAD, DL and social security card. I have read that you can only transfer your credit history to a new assigned social security number if:

- You may have been the victim of identity theft

or

- Your Social Security number may have been compromised in some other way

Wouldn't I have to admit to committing credit card fraud?

I have a lot of credit history (2008-2012) with the fake social security that I was using before I got the new one in the mail. Does this mean that I have to start all over again from scratch? If anybody has information regarding this please let me know. Thanks.

How to Transfer Your Credit History to a Newly Assigned SSN

When you are assigned a new Social Security Number (SSN), your previous credit history will not automatically transfer. Credit history is not kept by the Social Security Administration. Instead, the three major credit bureaus, Experian, TransUnion and Equifax, keep their own records of your credit history. Therefore, to transfer your credit history you will need to notify each of the credit bureaus directly and provide evidence of your claim.

1. Contact your current lenders and inform them of your newly assigned SSN. They should begin to report your credit under your new number.

2. Type a letter to the credit bureau, explaining that you have a new SSN. Keep the letter simple and to the point. List all previous numbers you had credit under and any previous names you used. Request that your account be listed in your new credit report.

3.Print four copies of the letter, one for each of the three credit bureaus and one for your own records. Sign the three copies for the credit bureaus.

4. Address one envelope to each credit bureau, affix a stamp and write your return address. The three credit bureau addresses are as follows:

Equifax
P.O. Box 740241
Atlanta, GA 30374

Experian
P.O. Box 2002
Allen, TX 75013

TransUnion
P.O. Box 1000
Chester, PA 19022

5. Make three copies of the document you received from the Social Security Administration informing you of your newly assigned SSN. Attach one to each letter and put each letter in an envelope. Mail the letters to the credit bureaus.

6. Wait a month or two and request a free copy of your credit report through AnnualCreditReport.com from each credit bureau. Verify that your credit history has been transferred by each credit bureau. If it has not, call the credit bureau in question to sort out the problem.

Equifax
1-800-685-1111

Experian
1-888-397-3742

TransUnion
1-800-888-4213

source: http://www.ehow.com/how_6758058_transfer-history-newly-assigned-ssn.html

AB323
11-05-2012, 10:25 PM
I'm going to try to update my SSN first and update my information on my credit report first and then call my credit card companies.

AB323
11-06-2012, 05:44 PM
To be more specific, I will apply for credit using my same name and address. what will happen is that both numbers will show up on my credit report. I will then send a letter to all three credit reporting agencies with my valid correct SSN. Once they correct my SSN I will then do the same with my credit card companies..

At the bottom is a sample letter..

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/credit/cre21.shtm

betofrancojr
11-16-2012, 03:07 AM
I have a credit card with Chase and I called them up to make the change. Days later I received a call in which they asked me to provide proof that my old social was assigned to me and proof of my new social. The lady said that I can just send them a copy of my old card and a copy of the new one...

Then I got a letter on the mail that only asks for a copy of my new social, so that's what I'm going to do. I don't want to send them a copy of a false document. Hopefully I'll be fine.

If used a made up SSN with a Chase Credit Card, they will not update to the new SSN unless you provide proof of old SSN (either a copy of the SS card or a letter from SSA). This is the only lender that seems to have an issue with changing or updating to the new number.

believethedream
11-16-2012, 06:48 AM
I have my credit card with HSBC and I gave then a call to change my social. They agreed at first but than a couple of day later placed my account on hold. I had to send them a copy of the new one and wait a week for them to "verify" the card. Just received a call that the hold was lifted and I can now use it. I have not tried my bank account yet. I hope it is not the same thing.

phoenix
11-16-2012, 10:10 AM
If used a made up SSN with a Chase Credit Card, they will not update to the new SSN unless you provide proof of old SSN (either a copy of the SS card or a letter from SSA). This is the only lender that seems to have an issue with changing or updating to the new number.

Yup that's what's they are asking of me now, proof of old either via old card or letter from SSA.

Did you have a Chase CC and transferred credit? or is this just something you know?

betofrancojr
11-19-2012, 10:12 PM
Yup that's what's they are asking of me now, proof of old either via old card or letter from SSA.

Did you have a Chase CC and transferred credit? or is this just something you know?

I have a Chase CC and I spoke with 2 representatives. After they did not want to proceed, I advised to close my account. I'd rather not worry about my account with them than have them start some kind of investigation. I'll reopen an account sometime in the future with my new SSN. By far, they are the only company not able to change SSN on file without proof of previous number.

Nobu-Sama
12-01-2012, 07:13 PM
I have a similar issue to the OP.

I've opened credit card accounts with the ssn i was working with, which in fact is a real ssn. So i assume it was always easy to get approved cause it was not fake. Eitherway, I've always used my real name when applying. I have good credit since 2005 and would like to have that transfer over to my new ssn. Not sure if that will be a problem though, kind of sucks to start all over again from scratch. It's gonna make it almost impossible to get a car that way.

turmalina
12-01-2012, 10:00 PM
I have a similar issue to the OP.

I've opened credit card accounts with the ssn i was working with, which in fact is a real ssn. So i assume it was always easy to get approved cause it was not fake. Eitherway, I've always used my real name when applying. I have good credit since 2005 and would like to have that transfer over to my new ssn. Not sure if that will be a problem though, kind of sucks to start all over again from scratch. It's gonna make it almost impossible to get a car that way.

Once you get approved, you'll be using the same number as you were before, except now your card will say "authorized to work with authorization". You actually don't have the same situation as the OP, it's actually completely different. You won't need to do a credit transfer at all.

Nobu-Sama
12-01-2012, 10:50 PM
Once you get approved, you'll be using the same number as you were before, except now your card will say "authorized to work with authorization". You actually don't have the same situation as the OP, it's actually completely different. You won't need to do a credit transfer at all.

I should clarify that even though the social is real it is not mine.

turmalina
12-02-2012, 02:25 AM
I should clarify that even though the social is real it is not mine.

Oh ok :lol:

then I take back everything I said and we're back to wondering if anyone has done it successfully and without any negative consequences.

speedymdx
01-04-2013, 05:27 PM
I have a Chase CC and I spoke with 2 representatives. After they did not want to proceed, I advised to close my account. I'd rather not worry about my account with them than have them start some kind of investigation. I'll reopen an account sometime in the future with my new SSN. By far, they are the only company not able to change SSN on file without proof of previous number.

Which banks have you tried already
Successfully?

pootie tang
01-04-2013, 06:22 PM
Here's what i did and it worked:

I had 2 credit cards, one with Bank of America and one with HSBC but i opened them with my itin number NOT a fake ssn so things might be a bit different.
Anyways, i called HSBC i told them "i got a new ssn assigned to me, I applied for the card with my itin and so i'd like to update the number" lady "ok what's the new number" i gave her new number and was done, except i wasn't done, they then froze my account and simply asked me to send them proof of my new ssn, I sent scanned image and that's it.
Bank of America, i walked into branch, told them same thing, "i opened it with itin, now i have ssn can i update it?" , this took a bit longer, lady had to make some calls but was able to update it and all i had to do was show her my DL and SSN card. No problem, few months later (i got my ssn in October) i checked my credit score with my new SSN and both cards were on there and i have over 5yrs of credit history with no missed payments. Score!

Hope_4_2013
01-04-2013, 06:46 PM
How to Transfer Your Credit History to a Newly Assigned SSN

When you are assigned a new Social Security Number (SSN), your previous credit history will not automatically transfer. Credit history is not kept by the Social Security Administration. Instead, the three major credit bureaus, Experian, TransUnion and Equifax, keep their own records of your credit history. Therefore, to transfer your credit history you will need to notify each of the credit bureaus directly and provide evidence of your claim.

1. Contact your current lenders and inform them of your newly assigned SSN. They should begin to report your credit under your new number.

2. Type a letter to the credit bureau, explaining that you have a new SSN. Keep the letter simple and to the point. List all previous numbers you had credit under and any previous names you used. Request that your account be listed in your new credit report.

3.Print four copies of the letter, one for each of the three credit bureaus and one for your own records. Sign the three copies for the credit bureaus.

4. Address one envelope to each credit bureau, affix a stamp and write your return address. The three credit bureau addresses are as follows:

Equifax
P.O. Box 740241
Atlanta, GA 30374

Experian
P.O. Box 2002
Allen, TX 75013

TransUnion
P.O. Box 1000
Chester, PA 19022

5. Make three copies of the document you received from the Social Security Administration informing you of your newly assigned SSN. Attach one to each letter and put each letter in an envelope. Mail the letters to the credit bureaus.

6. Wait a month or two and request a free copy of your credit report through AnnualCreditReport.com from each credit bureau. Verify that your credit history has been transferred by each credit bureau. If it has not, call the credit bureau in question to sort out the problem.

Equifax
1-800-685-1111

Experian
1-888-397-3742

TransUnion
1-800-888-4213

source: http://www.ehow.com/how_6758058_transfer-history-newly-assigned-ssn.html

Please read my post. I tried to do this, but Equifax told me that one cannot transfer any previous credit history to this type of SSN that we have.... Any thoughts?

http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=36622

Hope_4_2013
01-04-2013, 06:56 PM
Here's what i did and it worked:

I had 2 credit cards, one with Bank of America and one with HSBC but i opened them with my itin number NOT a fake ssn so things might be a bit different.
Anyways, i called HSBC i told them "i got a new ssn assigned to me, I applied for the card with my itin and so i'd like to update the number" lady "ok what's the new number" i gave her new number and was done, except i wasn't done, they then froze my account and simply asked me to send them proof of my new ssn, I sent scanned image and that's it.
Bank of America, i walked into branch, told them same thing, "i opened it with itin, now i have ssn can i update it?" , this took a bit longer, lady had to make some calls but was able to update it and all i had to do was show her my DL and SSN card. No problem, few months later (i got my ssn in October) i checked my credit score with my new SSN and both cards were on there and i have over 5yrs of credit history with no missed payments. Score!

Did you have to contact the credit report agencies (Equifax, TransUnion, and Experian), or was it done automatically? I also used my ITIN number to build credit, and I contacted BOA, and Capital One, and changed it to my SSN with no problems... I called Equifax and asked them to transfer my ITIN history to my SSN. They told me that it is impossible to merge the two files (even if I send a letter), and my ITIN history will never transfer over to the new SSN...

betofrancojr
01-07-2013, 03:14 AM
Which banks have you tried already
Successfully?

I have successfully updated my SSN to my credit cards from: American Express, Bank of America, Capital One, Citi, Express. Chase was able to update information but closed my account since I coulnt provide proof of previous number. I sent letters to all 3 credit bureaus and received confirmations of my newly assigned SSN on my reports. All lenders and credit bureaus will require a copy of your DL/ID, Copy of SSN, and possibly a utility bill (in the case of CapOne).

James
01-26-2013, 12:31 PM
I have successfully updated my SSN to my credit cards from: American Express, Bank of America, Capital One, Citi, Express. Chase was able to update information but closed my account since I coulnt provide proof of previous number. I sent letters to all 3 credit bureaus and received confirmations of my newly assigned SSN on my reports. All lenders and credit bureaus will require a copy of your DL/ID, Copy of SSN, and possibly a utility bill (in the case of CapOne).

Hey betofrancojr!
Did you transfer you credit from ITIN or made up Social?
Because I just got my newly assign social but before I was using a made up social security# for work and under this same made up number I established good credit about 5-6 years worth and wanted to check if it's even worth giving a shot in transfering my credit history in fear of getting into any kind of trouble.

Thanks in advance!

betofrancojr
01-28-2013, 02:44 AM
Hey betofrancojr!
Did you transfer you credit from ITIN or made up Social?
Because I just got my newly assign social but before I was using a made up social security# for work and under this same made up number I established good credit about 5-6 years worth and wanted to check if it's even worth giving a shot in transfering my credit history in fear of getting into any kind of trouble.

Thanks in advance!

Hey James, my credit was transferred from a made up social used to work & also to establish all credit cards. Make sure you also contact the 3 credit bureaus as well as all credit card lenders. After 2 months, I applied for a discover card under my new number and got approved. My current Fico reflects 725 which means all my credit history transferred over. Good luck! And you can message me if you have any questions.

James
01-30-2013, 09:58 PM
Hey James, my credit was transferred from a made up social used to work & also to establish all credit cards. Make sure you also contact the 3 credit bureaus as well as all credit card lenders. After 2 months, I applied for a discover card under my new number and got approved. My current Fico reflects 725 which means all my credit history transferred over. Good luck! And you can message me if you have any questions.

Hey betofrancojr, thanks again for replying your story and the your outcome gives me hope. I already have the letters to send out to the 3 credit bureaus I too have a credit score of 718 and wouldn't want to lose it so I'm gonna give it a shot. Just if you could answer me these two questions?
1. When you call your credit cards to update your newly assign social did they ask why the change of social security #?
2. Do you know if they keep the made up number in your report after they update? In other words do both social security numbers show on your report now or just your newly assign social?

Thanks a lot for your help really appreciate it.

betofrancojr
01-31-2013, 04:42 AM
Hey betofrancojr, thanks again for replying your story and the your outcome gives me hope. I already have the letters to send out to the 3 credit bureaus I too have a credit score of 718 and wouldn't want to lose it so I'm gonna give it a shot. Just if you could answer me these two questions?
1. When you call your credit cards to update your newly assign social did they ask why the change of social security #?
2. Do you know if they keep the made up number in your report after they update? In other words do both social security numbers show on your report now or just your newly assign social?

Thanks a lot for your help really appreciate it.

You should be fine. As far as your questions..
1) I called and told them I wanted to update my information (SSN) because SSA recently issued me a new SSN due to my immigration process. Most will give you a fax number of where to send copies of your SSN & CA ID/DL. I made sure I included a copy of the SSA SSN verification letter.
2) I'm pretty sure the old number might appear on future credit reports but it should be irrelevant since you would use your current SSN to bring up your information. All lenders & credit bureaus should begin using your new SSN to report your credit information.

It's a headache getting everything done but well worth it.

javeeboy
02-01-2013, 04:44 AM
What if you want to get rid of your old credit history completely?? I was using my fake work social to open two credit cards. I was late on payments and ended up closing them. Do you guys think when I apply for new credit with my new social, same name and address, the old credit will come up?? Our even merge with my new one. I hope not.

James
02-01-2013, 04:25 PM
What if you want to get rid of your old credit history completely?? I was using my fake work social to open two credit cards. I was late on payments and ended up closing them. Do you guys think when I apply for new credit with my new social, same name and address, the old credit will come up?? Our even merge with my new one. I hope not.

If you want to start your credit from scratch your gonna have to change your address, I tried to sign up for a Macy's card with my new SSN, Same name, Same Address. But they declined my request because they said the social was not matching the credit report's information and that's when it hit me as long as I have the same address it's gonna be hard to start from scratch. In my case since I have a good credit history and plan on staying at my current address I have decided it's best to try and transfer my credit history.

javeeboy
02-02-2013, 04:46 AM
If you want to start your credit from scratch your gonna have to change your address, I tried to sign up for a Macy's card with my new SSN, Same name, Same Address. But they declined my request because they said the social was not matching the credit report's information and that's when it hit me as long as I have the same address it's gonna be hard to start from scratch. In my case since I have a good credit history and plan on staying at my current address I have decided it's best to try and transfer my credit history.

Yeah that's what I figured. Thanks!

scorpion82
02-02-2013, 11:35 PM
Hi Everyone!

I am also trying to figure out a way to transfer my credit from a made up social security number to my newly assigned social. I haven't tried anything out of fear of getting in trouble for using a made up social. I would really appreciate if who has done the transfer of credit from a made up social to the new one would show me a sample letter to send the credit bureaus to request the transfer.

Thanks!

Jg1206
02-03-2013, 12:38 AM
You think you can send me a sample letter of what you sent the 3 credit bureaus.
I would greatly appreciate it!

scorpion82
02-19-2013, 06:39 PM
I just received a letter from transunion saying they weren't able to find my credit file. I sent them a copy of my driver's licence, a bill, and a copy of my new social. I requested that they update my credit file to my newly assigned social. I did not give them the made up social under which I have credit cause I assumed they would be able to bring up my credit file with my name, address, dob, and previous address.

I'm still waiting on the other 2 credit bureaus. I just want to be able to transfer my credit history to my new social or be able to start a new credit file.

ggalicia
02-25-2013, 05:35 AM
I just received a letter from transunion saying they weren't able to find my credit file. I sent them a copy of my driver's licence, a bill, and a copy of my new social. I requested that they update my credit file to my newly assigned social. I did not give them the made up social under which I have credit cause I assumed they would be able to bring up my credit file with my name, address, dob, and previous address.

I'm still waiting on the other 2 credit bureaus. I just want to be able to transfer my credit history to my new social or be able to start a new credit file.

Keep us updated

gaucho10
04-02-2013, 07:45 PM
Anybody have any updates regarding transferring credit from made up social?

arcane
04-02-2013, 11:36 PM

Why would you want to get a felony case against you? Using a SSN that is not yours is a felony. I know a lot of us use fake SSN to work, but that is why we claim our taxes with an ITIN. If you try to transfer credit from a SSN that is not yours, you putting yourself at risk by exposing yourself that you committed a felony.

gaucho10
04-03-2013, 03:23 AM
I understand, just wanted to know what people that are in the same situation as me have done and with what results, thats all. I got a CapitalOne credit card 3 years ago with the same made up SSN that i was using for work not knowing that you can get a credit card with your ITIN. Now that i have my SSN, i was able to change the number at my job and also with CapitalOne with no problems. But i was just wondering whether it was advisable to also send the letters to the credit bureaus due to the fact that the old made up SSN came up on my credit report when applying for a loan.

not_today
04-03-2013, 05:40 AM
I understand, just wanted to know what people that are in the same situation as me have done and with what results, thats all. I got a CapitalOne credit card 3 years ago with the same made up SSN that i was using for work not knowing that you can get a credit card with your ITIN. Now that i have my SSN, i was able to change the number at my job and also with CapitalOne with no problems. But i was just wondering whether it was advisable to also send the letters to the credit bureaus due to the fact that the old made up SSN came up on my credit report when applying for a loan.

betofrancojr successfully changed his SSN as you can see from this post (dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=34013&page=3#26). Credit bureaus are no different from other companies--to put things in perspective, you just changed your SSN at a bank and at work, which are legal entities, so you shouldn't have any problems doing so at the credit bureaus. Just send in copies of the documents that confirm your identity, address, your new SSN, and a brief explanation of the change without incriminating yourself. It would help you to let them know that you have successfully updated your SSN at work and with your credit card company, meaning that if they don't update your credit report, you'll have two of them. They wouldn't like a person to have two reports since that's just potential for abuse.

Sindel
04-05-2013, 03:25 AM
Sorry to hijack the thread, but I think I'm having an unusual problem. I applied for a capital one card and got denied. They sent me a letter in the mail which stated my credit score was 524 (which is horrible). So I tried to get my credit report online, and to verify my identity, Experian asked me questions about places I lived years ago, and about a job I worked using my ITIN!! (In the end, they couldn't give me a report anyway, so that was a waste of time). Does anyone know how my ITIN could have been linked to my new SSN?

javeeboy
04-05-2013, 10:25 AM
Sorry to hijack the thread, but I think I'm having an unusual problem. I applied for a capital one card and got denied. They sent me a letter in the mail which stated my credit score was 524 (which is horrible). So I tried to get my credit report online, and to verify my identity, Experian asked me questions about places I lived years ago, and about a job I worked using my ITIN!! (In the end, they couldn't give me a report anyway, so that was a waste of time). Does anyone know how my ITIN could have been linked to my new SSN?

Because you applied for credit with your same info, including address! That was my question a while back too. If you want to start fresh, you have to apply with a new different address

nydreamer
04-07-2013, 02:18 PM
Because you applied for credit with your same info, including address! That was my question a while back too. If you want to start fresh, you have to apply with a new different address

Same thing happened to me. Horrible credit score. I only used my ITIN to file taxes. How can that effect my credit score in a negative way?

scorpion82
04-07-2013, 03:49 PM

Hey guys! sorry I had not written an update on my case.

Well, Experian was the only one that did an update on my credit. They only put one credit card under my new social instead of my whole credit history. But at least now I am able to pull my credit file from them using all my info and my new social.

Equifax and transunion both said they could not process my request due to not being able to find my credit file. I have been thinking about writting them once again and this time tell them to transfer my credit from ss# (made up social) to my newly assigned ss# (real social). I am scared about actually including the made up number on the request so I don't know wether to go through with it or not.

javeeboy
04-07-2013, 08:37 PM
Same thing happened to me. Horrible credit score. I only used my ITIN to file taxes. How can that effect my credit score in a negative way?

I started credit with my fake social, and only use my ITIN for taxes. When I get approved I'm not gonna apply for credit with the same address and I'm going to use my maiden last name too because I don't want my old credit history linked to my new one. I want to start fresh. I have no idea how they link them but they do, but I'm almost positive it's because of the same info just new social and they figure it's the same person.

KirchoffRegime
04-08-2013, 02:37 AM
Here's my story: I first got a credit card in 2010 and another one in 2011. I always paid my statements on time and full, but was using a fake Ss number. I did have an itin but I only used it for tax purposes. After I went to my biometrics i canceled both cards because it seemed like the smart thing to do. I didn't want the credit companies to ask for a bunch of papers if I switched my Ss number. After I got my new Ss number, I sent my letters to the 3 credit bureaus to transfer my credit. I wrote a letter and attached the required documents just like the article in the beginning of the thread says. After about a month I got letters from the bureaus. Trainsunion was the only one that transferred my score. The other 2 said that I needed to contact the credit card companies to transfer my history. So I called them and both capital one and citi said that they couldn't change my Ss number because the accounts had been canceled. So now I have a credit score of 790 with trainsunion, and who knows what I have with the other 2 bureaus. I have applied for 2 credit cards with my new Ss, and I have been denied both times. I have no idea how having one company report one thing and the other 2 report something else is going to impact me in the future.

javeeboy
04-08-2013, 03:04 AM
Well it seems like you don't even have to send these transfer letters because some people as soon as they apply for credit the old stuff comes up. I would have just left it alone, especially since you were in good standing with your creditors. The only thing I would do is update everyone with my new social and not the 3 credit bureaus.

KirchoffRegime
04-08-2013, 12:46 PM
Well it seems like you don't even have to send these transfer letters because some people as soon as they apply for credit the old stuff comes up. I would have just left it alone, especially since you were in good standing with your creditors. The only thing I would do is update everyone with my new social and not the 3 credit bureaus.

Yes, this is the way to do it. If I could do it again I would not send the letters to the 3 bureaus.

Bx_dreamer
04-08-2013, 01:47 PM
Capital one changed my files with just a couple due to verification and went through .

kmpxx
04-08-2013, 04:19 PM

I had the opposite happen to me. When I first applied for a capital one credit card with my ITIN I was approved because there was another credit card link to my number. I called capital one (I was using their credit monitoring) and told them how the other credit card wasn't mine. They told me it didn't matter because there weren't any late payments or anything negative. You should see if there are any inquires/credit cards that you didn't initiate. BTW capital one credit monitoring site was the only place I was able to get my credit report when using itin. I use creditkarma.com now.

mayito
05-13-2013, 07:52 AM
Basically if we want to start fresh with our new ssn. We need to get a new job and a new address (house or apartment), so that credit bureaus don't link our fake ssn or itin number to our new ssn. Am i correct?

javeeboy
05-13-2013, 02:16 PM
Basically if we want to start fresh with our new ssn. We need to get a new job and a new address (house or apartment), so that credit bureaus don't link our fake ssn or itin number to our new ssn. Am i correct?

Yes Mayito! Not sure about new job, but probably. The more new information the better. I mean even then I saw someone on here that got an old medical bill on their new credit and didn't even use a social at the hospital. I really hope I'm not doomed with my old credit history.

mayito
05-14-2013, 03:00 AM
I got bad credit on my fake ssn, which I'm currently using to pay off a car. I wonder if I can convince the lender to update my ssn. Have any of you done that?

emilio2201
05-14-2013, 03:53 AM
I got bad credit on my fake ssn, which I'm currently using to pay off a car. I wonder if I can convince the lender to update my ssn. Have any of you done that?

i too am paying my car with a fake ssn, i regret it so much now because i have no late payments for over a year now. if you find out anything about this please let me now as it will help me get my credit higher.
i plan on taking out another car this time a 2013 and i hope to have a high score.

mayito
05-14-2013, 04:15 AM
I barely got my car loan last year and haven't had a late payment since. I'm going to give it a try and talk to the lender see if they would be able to.

tink04
05-16-2013, 07:15 PM
I was able to update my BoA checking account and 2 credit cards, no problems just showed up at the branch with my ID and SS card.

mayito
05-16-2013, 09:34 PM
I was able to update my BoA checking account and 2 credit cards, no problems just showed up at the branch with my ID and SS card.

Did you previously apply with an ITIN number?

javeeboy
05-17-2013, 02:57 AM
The only problem I think you might have when trying to update your social is they might ask if your social is changing then you're probably not a citizen or a P.R. And sometimes these banks don't give loans unless you're both of those two. Who knows tho you're so far along on the loan they might not have a choice.

nationalsfan
05-17-2013, 04:16 PM
a quick question for the knowledgeable folks in here :-D

I have a checking/savings account with Citibank which I opened w/ an ITIN. I called them to get that changed to my new SSN and the guy I talked with said he would send me a form to do that. One week later, I received a W-9 from them in the mail, now I've been reading all posts in here and nowhere have I seen such a form mentioned. Do you guys think it would just be easier to show up to a branch and do it through them? Has anyone done the switch w/ Citi?

satnam
05-18-2013, 12:30 AM
Worst case scenario, if you are scared because you did something illegal. Close the account and start fresh with your new number.

I'm not the person you quoted, but in my case, yes. I applied with ITIN and BOA updated it fine... at the second branch I went to.

I actually did some tech work for a financial company so I know a good deal about this credit stuff. Should probably make a separate thread debunking some of the myths in this and other threads found on this forum.

Anyway, remember this:
They want to have your latest/correct info. They also want to make money of you (and they do with every single swipe of your card/fee payment). It is in their BEST interest to help you update your info or else they are shooting themselves in the foot when you bail and they can't track you down.
a quick question for the knowledgeable folks in here :-D

I have a checking/savings account with Citibank which I opened w/ an ITIN. I called them to get that changed to my new SSN and the guy I talked with said he would send me a form to do that. One week later, I received a W-9 from them in the mail, now I've been reading all posts in here and nowhere have I seen such a form mentioned. Do you guys think it would just be easier to show up to a branch and do it through them? Has anyone done the switch w/ Citi?

That's the right form. You sign that exact form when opening an account with a SSN. If you go to the branch you'll sign the exact same form.

Infact, you should of signed that same form when you opened your bank account with the ITIN. SSN/ITIN = form W-9. Foreign nationals without tax ties to the U.S. use form W-8 or its variations.
The only problem I think you might have when trying to update your social is they might ask if your social is changing then you're probably not a citizen or a P.R. And sometimes these banks don't give loans unless you're both of those two. Who knows tho you're so far along on the loan they might not have a choice.

That's irrelevant. If you have a relationship already they know of your immigrant status already one way or another. You are just updating your info to be correct. Be it switching ITIN to an SSN (ITIN is really a borderline useless number for the banks when it comes to identifying people, but making money of you means more to them) or updating your fake SSN to a real one. The last thing you want is for someone to be issued that SSN that you used and then have you arrested for identity fraud because you claimed it was yours and opened accounts with it.

tink04
05-18-2013, 03:27 AM

No, it was with a made up social, same I was using to work with. I'm going to only keep the BoA cards, I'm closing the Capital One card I have and Victoria Secret cc. I don't want to get in trouble incase it is someones number

satnam
05-18-2013, 11:49 AM
No, it was with a made up social, same I was using to work with. I'm going to only keep the BoA cards, I'm closing the Capital One card I have and Victoria Secret cc. I don't want to get in trouble incase it is someones number

I had no problem updating the SSN with Capital One. In fact I didn't even need to send in proof. They said they were able to verify that it was issued to me and then asked some questions from my credit report to further verify and changed it.

Nobu-Sama
05-19-2013, 12:50 AM
Hey guys I also have a question regarding credit history.

Is it a wise idea to try and switch the credit history from a real social I was working with and even have credit cards under (used my real name) to my new social or just start all over again?

I know about people switching information from fake numbers but what about real ones.

tink04
05-19-2013, 01:36 AM
I had no problem updating the SSN with Capital One. In fact I didn't even need to send in proof. They said they were able to verify that it was issued to me and then asked some questions from my credit report to further verify and changed it.

When I originally applied for capital one I had the account frozen for security purposes, they wanted to verify it was me and wanted an ID, which I didn't have, so finally they cleared it by asking me questions but since then Im scared they investigate. So to be safe, I'll just close that account.

satnam
05-19-2013, 01:21 PM
When I originally applied for capital one I had the account frozen for security purposes, they wanted to verify it was me and wanted an ID, which I didn't have, so finally they cleared it by asking me questions but since then Im scared they investigate. So to be safe, I'll just close that account.

It will still appear on your credit report for up to 10 years. So you probably won't be losing much in the end. The good history (hopefully yours is good) from that card will help when applying for new card(s) in the future.

MrsK
05-19-2013, 03:50 PM
I've never used a fake social security number before. I used my tax ID number to get a credit card through Bank of America. And since I used a tax ID I did not have a problem transferring credits. Today I have a credit of over 700 on all 3 credit companies and I am happy about it :)

tink04
05-19-2013, 11:43 PM
It will still appear on your credit report for up to 10 years. So you probably won't be losing much in the end. The good history (hopefully yours is good) from that card will help when applying for new card(s) in the future.

What do mean?

kmpxx
05-20-2013, 12:29 AM

What do mean?

Even after you close your account it still appears on your credit history for 10 years. For example, someone decided to use my tax ID # to open a chase credit card in 2008. They closed the account in 2010. However, the closed chase credit card still appears on my report and factors into my credit score. I happened to open my first credit card in 2010 but the closed account gave me 2 extra years in my credit history. My credit score is around 780 for all three bureaus so I'm pretty grateful to whomever that was.

BTW I called to get the account taken off my report since it isn't mine but was told that since it wasn't negatively affecting my score they weren't going to remove it. Apparently they only remove bad marks since removing good ones have no incentive for both parties.

satnam
05-20-2013, 12:00 PM
What do mean?

kmpxx elaborated on this. But simply put a closed account will keep reporting to your credit report. And in this case it will report with your fake SSN.

It would be best to get it updated with Capital One if you want that SSN off your credit report. Even if you want to close the card.

tink04
05-21-2013, 12:30 AM

kmpxx elaborated on this. But simply put a closed account will keep reporting to your credit report. And in this case it will report with your fake SSN.

It would be best to get it updated with Capital One if you want that SSN off your credit report. Even if you want to close the card.

I called today to change the ss# and they couldn't do it because the something specialist wasn't there anymore, they told me to call tomorrow between 8 and 5. I will try again. Hopefully everything turns out good.

tink04
05-21-2013, 12:31 AM

Did they ask why the change of number?

emilio2201
05-21-2013, 03:20 AM
i got a letter from eperian asking to send them a copy of my social and an ID. i sent all of this when i originally sent my packet idk why they are asking for this again.

not_today
05-21-2013, 11:16 AM
i got a letter from eperian asking to send them a copy of my social and an ID. i sent all of this when i originally sent my packet idk why they are asking for this again.

That's most likely the identity verification department.

satnam
05-21-2013, 11:40 AM
Did they ask why the change of number?

I gave them the reason before they asked. I told them it was a tax id and I wanted to update it to my newly issued social security number.

In your case if they ask why, and you don't know what to say. Just say your old one was compromised and you had a new one issued.

You don't actually need to inform the credit bureaus about the change. This data (your SSN) is constantly being reported by your financial institutions. When you update it with all of them your old number will be gone from the report. Even if the credit bureaus could change it manually it would only work until the next time that your banks sent them the info.

mayito
05-21-2013, 02:16 PM
So it looks like I was able to successfully update my car lender with my new SSN. All they needed from me was a letter stating that I was in fact assigned a new SSN. I fax them my SSN printout and and my account #. I asked the rep. if they would start reporting from now on to my new SSN or If they would be able to carry over my past payments. He said that he was going to get back to me with that matter today.

By the way, this is how started the convesation....
Me: Hi, I was wondering, who would i speak with about updating my personal information?
Me: I'm trying to update my Social security number, I was assigned a new number.
Representative: I'm assuming you were a victim of identity theft?
Me: Yeah my old number was compromised and I had a new one issued by the Social security administration.

tink04
05-21-2013, 05:32 PM

I called Capital One today and they asked me to fax them ID, social and proof of adress. Now let's hope everything gets updated with no problem.

satnam
05-21-2013, 06:04 PM
I called Capital One today and they asked me to fax them ID, social and proof of adress. Now let's hope everything gets updated with no problem.

It should as long as you sent in everything they asked :).

tink04
05-23-2013, 09:22 PM
They said everything was clear but I just called to test it out and it's not taking my new social so Im just going to close the account.

emilio2201
05-27-2013, 05:03 AM
got a letter from equifax saying that they have successfully transferred my credit. i have yet to send experian the stuff they requested

emilio2201
06-01-2013, 02:25 AM
hello all

just trying to update you guys on my case and hopefully get some answers

I received another letter this time from transunion, on it it had my name, new SSN, and all of my payment history i have with my Wells Fargo secured card.

This might be a stupid question but, does this mean my credit from my ITIN has been successfully transferred to my new SSN??

satnam
06-01-2013, 12:16 PM
hello all

just trying to update you guys on my case and hopefully get some answers

I received another letter this time from transunion, on it it had my name, new SSN, and all of my payment history i have with my Wells Fargo secured card.

This might be a stupid question but, does this mean my credit from my ITIN has been successfully transferred to my new SSN??

I mentioned this before. They (credit bureaus) don't really transfer credit. Your banks keep reporting all the information constantly (along with your payment/balance history and other info). So once your banks are updated so too will your credit report.

Otherwise if they were to update it temporary your banks would undue that by reporting your ITIN again.

So what Transunion did was simply send you your free annual credit report because they did not do anything.

emilio2201
06-02-2013, 02:29 AM
I mentioned this before. They (credit bureaus) don't really transfer credit. Your banks keep reporting all the information constantly (along with your payment/balance history and other info). So once your banks are updated so too will your credit report.

Otherwise if they were to update it temporary your banks would undue that by reporting your ITIN again.

So what Transunion did was simply send you your free annual credit report because they did not do anything.

yeah i know but i had sent all 3 letters before i posted anything so now im barely getting responses from the bureaus. Thank you anyways =]

sweetpea
07-18-2013, 05:09 PM
I'm really confused and don't know what to do. I've had credit since 2003 using a fake SS#. A car loan and a few credit cards. As on now I only have one Amazon Credit card open. Should I write a letter to the credit companies or just Amazon? My car is slowly falling apart and I need to be able to get a car loan soon. I tried getting a credit card with my new number after i got approved, but was denied, i guess the info didn't match?

Forzasalvy
07-19-2013, 04:51 AM
I'm really confused and don't know what to do. I've had credit since 2003 using a fake SS#. A car loan and a few credit cards. As on now I only have one Amazon Credit card open. Should I write a letter to the credit companies or just Amazon? My car is slowly falling apart and I need to be able to get a car loan soon. I tried getting a credit card with my new number after i got approved, but was denied, i guess the info didn't match?

I had a similar situation:
1. Contact Amazon and tell then to replace your fake ssn with your real one so they can start reporting the credit bureaus using your real ssn.
2. Send letter to all 3 credit bureaus telling them that you wish to update your ssn with the new one. Include a copy of your ss card and State ID or Driver's License on each letter.

http://www.ehow.com/how_8466927_write-change-social-security-number.html