PDA

View Full Version : Earned income Credit! We can go back and get the $ we deserve!

sweetpea
11-14-2012, 05:35 PM
Somebody posted this question on FB. Now that we will have valid SS#'s then we can go get our Earned income credit we couldn't get. I check with my Tax guy, he double and tripled check. And we should go get it before IRS changes anything. We can re-do our taxes from 2009-2011 ^_^
[editing contact information out]
I have my appointment with him on Saturday Can't wait $_$ LOL

sweetpea
11-14-2012, 07:07 PM
FYI: this is not an advertisement. LOL
Just sharing information :)

JPerezR
11-14-2012, 08:07 PM

You are only eligible for the credit if you are a Permanent Resident, US Citizen or if you are filing with a US Citizen Spouse.

Google it.

Pootie-Tang
11-14-2012, 08:08 PM
This is actually an advertisement.

RAYADO1
11-14-2012, 08:21 PM

yea we believe you... say hi to your cousin anyways!

Justin2014
11-14-2012, 08:30 PM
Yeah, sorry to burst your bubble. I am sure we don't meet the requirements as we are not legal. =p

mayrac07
11-14-2012, 08:47 PM
Immigrants who are “resident aliens for tax purposes” may be legal permanent residents, meaning they have a “green card” (I-551 card). However, many legal immigrants who do not yet have their “green cards” may still be resident aliens for tax purposes. For example, the following immigrants might qualify for the EITC if they and family members have legal work authorization and Social Security numbers:

• Amnesty temporary residents and amnesty family members
granted “Family Fairness” or “Family Unity” status

• Refugees, asylees and those granted Temporary Protected
Status

• Applicants for these and other immigration statuses who have
legal work authorization and Social Security numbers.

Source (http://www.sfhsa.org/asset/BenefitsSFLITE/Tax_Credits_Summary_for_Web_Page.pdf)

I guess talking to a tax expert is your best bet.

buckminsterfullerene
11-14-2012, 11:58 PM
Source (http://www.sfhsa.org/asset/BenefitsSFLITE/Tax_Credits_Summary_for_Web_Page.pdf)

I guess talking to a tax expert is your best bet.

To claim these credits, legal immigrant workers, their spouses and children listed on the “Schedule EIC” form must
each have valid Social Security numbers.* In addition to having a valid Social Security Number, immigrants must
meet all the following conditions to qualify for the EITC:
1. Main home must be in the United States
2. All children listed on the “Schedule EIC” form must have lived with the immigrant worker in the U.S. for
more than six months of the year
3. Must be a “resident alien for tax purposes” for the entire tax year, unless he or she was married to a U.S.
citizen or a resident alien as of December 31 of the tax year, AND files a joint tax return with the spouse
and chooses to be treated as a resident alien for the entire year

thought it would be good to point this out.

Reustis25
11-15-2012, 12:55 AM
You are only eligible for the credit if you are a Permanent Resident, US Citizen or if you are filing with a US Citizen Spouse.

Google it.

Well I can tell I own a tax business and for tax purpose resident alien is different a as resident alien for immigration purpose that means. For tax purpose you are an resident alien base on the days in united states your are consider resident for tax purpose. Is likely 180 days for current year which he or she is been doing taxes for quite bit . And EIC credit can be claimed only if SSN say valid for work

And make sure you do your amended return 2009 tax return before April 15 2013, make sure he put on form 1040x to revoke to itin and claimed making work pay for 2009 and 2010 depending on your income and how many child you claimed you can be getting some good money for 3 years.

angelchen1111
11-15-2012, 01:10 AM
I think I got it before with my EAD and SSN when my income was low.

msaccountant
11-15-2012, 01:14 AM
Interesting I'm sure we do well those older than 25....because on my pub 17 from last year it says we could.....because it clearly states you must have a valid ssn but then sorta confuses it when it says you must be a USC or resident alien for the whole year.

it says if your ssn has with employment authorization from dhs then you have valid ssn therefore yes you qualify.

bykerdude
11-15-2012, 02:40 AM
I had also posted about EIC and got a few responses which basically stated that I was not eligible. The next day i spoke to my tax person and she double checked this for me and yes we are eligible. According to her the IRS is completely different from the immigration thing. In conclusion im getting back about $6k for amending 2010-2011 I am meeting her tomorrow to send the sign paperwork so she can send it off ASAP. She stated that it takes about 1 months worth so woot woot christmas money :)

msaccountant
11-15-2012, 09:43 AM
I had also posted about EIC and got a few responses which basically stated that I was not eligible. The next day i spoke to my tax person and she double checked this for me and yes we are eligible. According to her the IRS is completely different from the immigration thing. In conclusion im getting back about $6k for amending 2010-2011 I am meeting her tomorrow to send the sign paperwork so she can send it off ASAP. She stated that it takes about 1 months worth so woot woot christmas money :)

Congrats! :p

Some are not believers iono why but oh well! haha

sweetpea
11-15-2012, 11:12 AM

That's what I'm talking about!! I do qualify since my husband is resident and we filed jointly. Did u have to sign any paperwork to change your ITIN to your new social security?
I'm a lot more excited to meet with my Tax guy now! NEW YORK TRIP HERE i COME!!! :D

oh, and to clarify: my tax guys is NOT my cousin. ;)

bykerdude
11-15-2012, 05:53 PM
ok i just came from the tax lady and in bold letters on the forms it says it takes 2-3 months for the return to be complete. So unfortunately no christmas money. But, the 2013 taxes for eic is good to go :) woot woot.

KariS123
11-15-2012, 07:23 PM
Hey you guys.. So this is actually my first post ever on this thing, though I've been stalking you guys for quite a while (pretty much since DACA started). My fiancee applied for DACA and we're waiting on approval. :)

So anyway, I wanted to comment on this thread because I noticed some people are still skeptical regarding qualifying for EITC with the SSN you guys are getting. I am a tax preparer & that SSN is valid for claiming the EITC (please see below).. & I must say, amending previous tax returns is a great idea!! :) One important thing, in addition to all the other requirements for EITC, please keep in mind that EVERYONE who is listed on your tax return must have a valid SSN. If one person has an ITIN, you are disqualified. EITC is a HUGE credit and people get thousands and thousands of dollars off it but please be careful and don't try to scam the gov't if you don't qualify for whatever reason, because the IRS is extremely strict with it. Good luck guys, hopefully some of you will be able to at least get back what you've spent during this process. :) Oh and by the way, though you can amend every single tax return you've done in the past, keep in mind that the IRS will only give you back money for the last three years, so that would mean that at this moment you can claim refunds for your 2011, 2010, and 2009 tax returns.

Valid SSN:
To claim the EIC, you (and your spouse, if filing a joint return) must have a valid SSN issued by the Social Security Administration (SSA). Any qualifying child listed on Schedule EIC also must have a valid SSN. (See Rule 8 if you have a qualifying child.)

Valid for work only with INS authorization or DHS authorization:
If your social security card reads “Valid for work only with INS authorization” or “Valid for work only with DHS authorization,” you have a valid SSN.

Filing deadline approaching and still no SSN?
If the filing deadline is approaching and you still do not have an SSN, you have two choices:
- Request an automatic 6-month extension of time to file your return. You can get this extension by filing Form 4868, Application for Automatic Extension of Time to File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return. For more information, see the instructions for Form 4868.
- File the return on time without claiming the EIC. After receiving the SSN, file an amended return, Form 1040X, claiming the EIC. Attach a filled-in Schedule EIC, Earned Income Credit, if you have a qualifying child.

Link to the above: http://www.irs.gov/publications/p596/ch01.html#en_US_2011_publink1000167211

dude33
11-15-2012, 07:28 PM
my uncle has a L visa where he does not have a green card and he got the earned income credit .. why i know this he used my sisters social as a dependant and got back more than my father would have and the tax dude advised him and my dad

msaccountant
11-15-2012, 07:41 PM
Hey you guys.. So this is actually my first post ever on this thing, though I've been stalking you guys for quite a while (pretty much since DACA started). My fiancee applied for DACA and we're waiting on approval. :)

So anyway, I wanted to comment on this thread because I noticed some people are still skeptical regarding qualifying for EITC with the SSN you guys are getting. I am a tax preparer & that SSN is valid for claiming the EITC (please see below).. & I must say, amending previous tax returns is a great idea!! :) One important thing, in addition to all the other requirements for EITC, please keep in mind that EVERYONE who is listed on your tax return must have a valid SSN. If one person has an ITIN, you are disqualified. EITC is a HUGE credit and people get thousands and thousands of dollars off it but please be careful and don't try to scam the gov't if you don't qualify for whatever reason, because the IRS is extremely strict with it. Good luck guys, hopefully some of you will be able to at least get back what you've spent during this process. :) Oh and by the way, though you can amend every single tax return you've done in the past, keep in mind that the IRS will only give you back money for the last three years, so that would mean that at this moment you can claim refunds for your 2011, 2010, and 2009 tax returns.

Valid SSN:
To claim the EIC, you (and your spouse, if filing a joint return) must have a valid SSN issued by the Social Security Administration (SSA). Any qualifying child listed on Schedule EIC also must have a valid SSN. (See Rule 8 if you have a qualifying child.)

Valid for work only with INS authorization or DHS authorization:
If your social security card reads “Valid for work only with INS authorization” or “Valid for work only with DHS authorization,” you have a valid SSN.

Filing deadline approaching and still no SSN?
If the filing deadline is approaching and you still do not have an SSN, you have two choices:
- Request an automatic 6-month extension of time to file your return. You can get this extension by filing Form 4868, Application for Automatic Extension of Time to File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return. For more information, see the instructions for Form 4868.
- File the return on time without claiming the EIC. After receiving the SSN, file an amended return, Form 1040X, claiming the EIC. Attach a filled-in Schedule EIC, Earned Income Credit, if you have a qualifying child.

Link to the above: http://www.irs.gov/publications/p596/ch01.html#en_US_2011_publink1000167211

Are you a dreamer as well or just your fiancee? I'm wondering because I'd like to become a paid tax preparer but I'm not sure if I would qualify because I'm a dreamer....aka still undocumented even under DACA. Do you know anything about this? I've tried to do research on my own but I cannot find something trustworthy. Btw good luck to your fiancee and thank you for sharing this information.

clarmanks
11-16-2012, 12:37 AM
so if i just turned 25 this year, I dont qualify for the previous years EITC? only would i be able to get it for this year?

phoenix
11-17-2012, 02:38 PM
It seems like EITC is only applicable if you are 25+

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20101201082555AA0pXOB

http://www.taxslayer.com/support/208/What-filing-status-should-I-choose

dream88
11-17-2012, 03:15 PM
It seems like EITC is only applicable if you are 25+

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20101201082555AA0pXOB

http://www.taxslayer.com/support/208/What-filing-status-should-I-choose

IF you have no kids!

dream88
11-17-2012, 03:21 PM
Would it be a good idea to rescind an ITIN first? Then amend tax returns? I want to amend 2011 since my wife and I didn't qualify for the EIC since I filed with an ITIN...

sweetpea
11-19-2012, 12:06 PM
Went to my tax guy on Saturday and we're getting $1,700 back for two years. Not as much as we had hoped but it's better than nothing :)

bykerdude
05-15-2013, 04:48 PM
So for all that were skeptical of EIC i just recieved both my emended checks which came for $3500 for both 20010-2011 and still qualified for 2012 EIC. Im a happy camper :)

EDL22
05-15-2013, 05:17 PM
So for all that were skeptical of EIC i just recieved both my emended checks which came for $3500 for both 20010-2011 and still qualified for 2012 EIC. Im a happy camper :)

How long did it take u to get the checks?? How much did u pay the tax person who did them?

Reyes2981
05-15-2013, 10:37 PM
I have the biggest smile as I read this thread lmfao. going to my tax guy this weekend.

Fer48
05-16-2013, 05:41 AM
You guys are lucky you were able to work before DACA. I wish I could get a couple g's off EIC. lol

bykerdude
05-16-2013, 07:52 PM
How long did it take u to get the checks?? How much did u pay the tax person who did them?

Yeah it took a while .. since November 2012 till March 2013 :( but all is worth it.