PDA

View Full Version : If the Dream Act IS passed, how long will the process take?

datprincesscb
01-06-2013, 07:15 PM
If the Dream Act is passed this year, how long will the entire process take? I'm sure this has been asked before, but I'm new here and just wondering. I know no one knows for sure, but an estimate will work :-)

Whydontilook
01-06-2013, 07:40 PM
If the Dream Act is passed this year, how long will the entire process take? I'm sure this has been asked before, but I'm new here and just wondering. I know no one knows for sure, but an estimate will work :-)

I think about a year from start to finish. Similar to someone adjusting their status.

datprincesscb
01-06-2013, 07:57 PM
Thank you so much for the response! Gosh, I do hope something happens this year!

Pianoswithoutfaith
01-06-2013, 08:14 PM
Hard to say really, I am not familiar how the amnesty of 86 took to complete and nothing close has happened since. I would think a year or so.

msaccountant
01-06-2013, 08:15 PM
I don't think anyone knows for sure. Just look at what happened with DACA. Instead of thinking of how long the process will take let's be ready for it and keep living life. :)

FlyinAgainstTheWind
01-06-2013, 08:27 PM
^^^Yup. We don't know and don't know what it is will look like at the end. They estimated DACA would cover about 1-2 million of us, but <400,000 have applied. Just enjoy today. But, get ready to push and make some phone calls in support of a bill as the year goes.

MDxOD
01-06-2013, 08:28 PM
seeing as how DACA is taking a year, i'd say anywhere from 1 to 5 years.

mayito
01-06-2013, 10:40 PM
I just hope that it's a faster process for those of us who applied for daca already.

ernier
01-06-2013, 10:42 PM
Probably 10 years. And let's not forget, don't apply as soon as it comes available because you will wait a long time, do it a month after.

Pianoswithoutfaith
01-06-2013, 11:37 PM
We should probably hope it passes lmao

msaccountant
01-06-2013, 11:49 PM
I just hope that it's a faster process for those of us who applied for daca already.

That would be great! Since we're already in the system right?

Probably 10 years. And let's not forget, don't apply as soon as it comes available because you will wait a long time, do it a month after.

Lmfao. XD There's some september folks still waiting though. Praying for your approval!

We should probably hope it passes lmao

Yea that would be more helpful!

^^^Yup. We don't know and don't know what it is will look like at the end. They estimated DACA would cover about 1-2 million of us, but <400,000 have applied. Just enjoy today. But, get ready to push and make some phone calls in support of a bill as the year goes.

Exactly! I shall be making calls, sending out emails, marches everything! :D

seeing as how DACA is taking a year, i'd say anywhere from 1 to 5 years.

Lol You need to be approved soon or else I will have to replace you with another client. lolololol i kid. :razz:

MDxOD
01-07-2013, 12:10 AM
Lol You need to be approved soon or else I will have to replace you with another client. lolololol i kid. :razz:

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

msaccountant
01-07-2013, 12:20 AM
:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Noooooooooooooooooo!

mayito
01-07-2013, 01:03 AM
That would be great! Since we're already in the system right?

Let's hope so I sent almost every year since 1998 up till 2012. Hopefully it'll be, where they'll just ask me for evidence from June 15 2012 up to when the dream act passes. Make it easier for them and us dreamers.

Demise
01-07-2013, 02:01 AM
I know I'm moving to Cali when it passes, I am not dealing with Vermont ever again. Best if Dream Act would automatically upgrade us from DACA to initial stage of DA (the 6 years to finish 2 years of college or military).

MadMan
01-07-2013, 02:04 AM
I don't think anyone knows for sure. Just look at what happened with DACA. Instead of thinking of how long the process will take let's be ready for it and keep living life. :)

How true.

However, I hope those who have been approved for DACA get a smoother case. It will mostly likely be grandfathered in somehow.

superanxious
01-07-2013, 02:09 AM
How true.

However, I hope those who have been approved for DACA get a smoother case. It will mostly likely be grandfathered in somehow.

Do you mean automatic

MadMan
01-07-2013, 02:14 AM
Do you mean automatic

Not necessarily. Just a smoother case. Since we are in the 'system' already and not starting out form scratch. It depends on what the bill contains.

VJB2
01-07-2013, 04:09 AM
They should use the people approved for DACA as a compromise of some sort.

"Oh.. you don't want to change this or this? Fine, we'll let you have that if you let DACA approved people be grandfathered in, etc. etc."

Dres2011
01-07-2013, 04:25 AM
I'm not counting out a 12 month wait period, that said with Daca who really cares about the wait time?

msaccountant
01-07-2013, 01:10 PM
Let's hope so I sent almost every year since 1998 up till 2012. Hopefully it'll be, where they'll just ask me for evidence from June 15 2012 up to when the dream act passes. Make it easier for them and us dreamers.

I sent them almost everything as well since I've been here I did leave some things out since I didn't want the person(s) going through my application to have to many papers to go through. But I think this would be easier for them like you said.

I know I'm moving to Cali when it passes, I am not dealing with Vermont ever again. Best if Dream Act would automatically upgrade us from DACA to initial stage of DA (the 6 years to finish 2 years of college or military).

Mhm would be awesome!

Not necessarily. Just a smoother case. Since we are in the 'system' already and not starting out form scratch. It depends on what the bill contains.

They should use the people approved for DACA as a compromise of some sort.

"Oh.. you don't want to change this or this? Fine, we'll let you have that if you let DACA approved people be grandfathered in, etc. etc."

Well I agree they should sorta use the DACA requirements to come up with a DA if the original DA won't be used oh and to include the retro DAUSER's always talking about.

I'm not counting out a 12 month wait period, that said with Daca who really cares about the wait time?

So true :)

choukette
01-07-2013, 03:17 PM
Part of my issue is not how long it's going to take (we'll have ead from daca so not a big deal) but it's how much is it going to cost. Gosh don't make it 3000 dollars to make it hard on poor college kids like myself or families with 2-3 kids applying. Just make it affordable like daca.

Dres2011
01-07-2013, 03:19 PM
To apply for a green card that's already $1,000 so it won't be less than that.

choukette
01-07-2013, 03:29 PM
To apply for a green card that's already $1,000 so it won't be less than that.

Yeah but I though the dream act grants PR like 6 years later.

Dres2011
01-07-2013, 03:34 PM
Yeah but I though the dream act grants PR like 6 years later.

IIRC versions of the Dream Act issued conditional green cards, who knows how that would've played out if it had become law. Still waiting on Reid or Durbin to introduce the bill into this new congress.

Pianoswithoutfaith
01-07-2013, 04:19 PM
Its six years with Conditional Permanent Residency then after that we can apply for a normal PR status

msaccountant
01-07-2013, 05:18 PM
Part of my issue is not how long it's going to take (we'll have ead from daca so not a big deal) but it's how much is it going to cost. Gosh don't make it 3000 dollars to make it hard on poor college kids like myself or families with 2-3 kids applying. Just make it affordable like daca.

Like that achieve act it said the total would be around 3000. I don't know exactly what that means but I agree way to much. Of course I'd have no problem with that I'd try to save and maybe get a loan but still many people will have trouble applying if that's the amount. The original DA doesn't have a fee. I think they should look at it for what it is a humanitarian issue. Many of us come from low income families and we are high school/college students. But perhaps we could see some places offering loans or scholarships for this. Unfortunately I know CIR will most definetely have a high penalty fee.

Its six years with Conditional Permanent Residency then after that we can apply for a normal PR status

^Yup.

Pianoswithoutfaith
01-07-2013, 05:37 PM
seriously thought 3K is pretty darn cheap for a better status than lawful presence