PDA

View Full Version : cashing a check

hooper
02-06-2008, 07:07 PM
How can my brother cash a check if he doesn't have a bank account. Can he endorse a check?

8-bitPanda
02-06-2008, 07:10 PM
Eh, this might not be much help but last time I had to cash a check (before I had a bank account) my parents cashed it for me.

Ark
02-06-2008, 07:38 PM
It depends on the amount. My sister needed me to cash a $2,500 check, but the bank didn't allow me to because it was too high an amount. That's when I had Bank of America...

You should call your bank to see what they tell you.

Elmexicano
02-06-2008, 08:02 PM
Tell you're brother to get a bank account they don't require a SSN.
Where I live theirs a small market that cashes in checks for PAISAS

laneDearIhope?
02-06-2008, 08:43 PM
I had to recently cash a check about a month ago, anyway I went to a chase bank and they told me I needed an account luckily I went with a friend of mines who had an account with them so I endorsed the check to her and got my money, hope that helps

pingpong abyss
02-06-2008, 09:24 PM
You can cash a check at Walmart for a few bucks. You need an ID though.

Ark
02-06-2008, 09:41 PM
Where I live theirs a small market that cashes in checks for PAISAS

haha PAISAS...

Mona Lisa
02-06-2008, 09:59 PM
Tell you're brother to get a bank account they don't require a SSN.
Where I live theirs a small market that cashes in checks for PAISASlol, over here Los Arabianos cash the checks for all the Mexicans lol

stars
02-07-2008, 11:42 AM
I befriended the people who work there and they know me by name. Well then I first started taking my checks, they accepted my school ID, took a pic of me, and a fingerprint. So you might try that. Ask around.

thedream
02-10-2008, 12:16 AM
i'm probably gonna need to cash a $300 check soon. and i've got no state ID (only school ID). i doubt they'd take my expired passport.

someone told me to get an itin cause it might be good enough to open a bank account, but i never feel good sending personal info to the government.

VJB2
02-10-2008, 02:26 PM
i'm probably gonna need to cash a $300 check soon. and i've got no state ID (only school ID). i doubt they'd take my expired passport.

someone told me to get an itin cause it might be good enough to open a bank account, but i never feel good sending personal info to the government.

If I recall correctly, the bank isn't authorized to give out your information... at least someone from WaMu said.

Either way, your ITIN belongs to you and if banks allow it to be used to open an account, then you're doing everything legit. There is no reason for you to get in trouble/flagged. I wouldn't worry, I can't imagine how many people citizens/residents/undocumented have opened accounts with ITIN numbers.

stars
02-10-2008, 08:31 PM

Have you tried to open a bank account with your school ID and expired passport?

I used those two forms of identification when I opened an account at Chase bank late last year.

Jourbalist
02-11-2008, 03:26 AM
I tried to cash a check one time, they required two forms of ID... I had to open a bank account and just deposit my check because I didn't have two forms of ID.

Ark
02-11-2008, 05:06 AM
I tried to cash a check one time, they required two forms of ID... I had to open a bank account and just deposit my check because I didn't have two forms of ID.

lol it's funny how it's easier to actually open a bank account than to just cash a check...

MariaG1987
02-11-2008, 12:24 PM

Your ITIN, school ID, and/or passport should be more than enough to open a bank account at BofA. All you need to do is go and tell them you don't have a SSN, but you do have a tax identification number and they should be able to help you out. That's what I did, anyway. You shouldn't have to worry about the government at all.. a bunch of us have done it with no problems, so you should be fine. Actually, when you call BofA to activate your debit card they ask you for the last 4 digits of your SSN or tax identification number, hah.

But you should get an ITIN number regardless!

Ikki
02-12-2008, 02:17 AM
Just go to your closest Northgate Gonzalez market (if you live by one). They will cash it for you, just need your school ID. They will ask you to sign it,and they will ask for a phone number and leave a finger print. I live in socal so there is at least one in every city around here.

Jourbalist
02-12-2008, 04:07 AM
You only need one form of ID to open a Wells Fargo account. That's what I did and it worked fine.

stars
02-12-2008, 12:20 PM
You only need one form of ID to open a Wells Fargo account. That's what I did and it worked fine.

I had no idea that you could get Wells Fargo. Cool! Thanks for the info.

hooper
02-12-2008, 05:31 PM
Wells Fargo is the friendliest bank to illegals like you.

VJB2
02-13-2008, 03:08 AM
I opened an account with Washington Mutual today. I wasn't even trying to, I just wanted to cash a check from there. The guy was really nice and only asked for my Matricula and ITIN. I had my account in 10 minutes, complete with online banking.

Now I'm wondering how long it's going to take my ATM/bank card to arrive.

laneDearIhope?
02-13-2008, 03:33 AM
I opened an account with Washington Mutual today. I wasn't even trying to, I just wanted to cash a check from there. The guy was really nice and only asked for my Matricula and ITIN. I had my account in 10 minutes, complete with online banking.

Now I'm wondering how long it's going to take my ATM/bank card to arrive.

Washington mutual is illegal friendly i think, i had sum bonds that i needed to cash and neither chase, northfolk or citibank wanted to let me cash it without a NY state ID and a account with them, WM took my unexpired passport and school Id and i didnt have to open a bank account with them. the only things is that they wont give u over a thousand dollars without an account

VJB2
02-13-2008, 01:28 PM
I was looking into opening a bank account anyway, so it pretty much fell on my lap to do it right then and there.

geniev31
03-13-2008, 02:29 PM

What form of ID was that?
I only have a school ID and possibly an expired passport.
The only problem is that I'm on the same passport as my mom. I don't know why they did that back then.

laneDearIhope?
03-13-2008, 02:39 PM
The only problem is that I'm on the same passport as my mom. I don't know why they did that back then.

Go to your consulate and get a new passport.

cadman
03-13-2008, 02:40 PM

What do you mean your on the "same" passport as your mom?

RahmanIV
03-14-2008, 10:11 PM
Young children travel on their parent's passport. Its international travel law that children under the age of 3 are not obligated to have their own passport but must be included on their parent's passport for travel. Many parents don't remove the children and obtain separate passports.

Ed
03-16-2008, 02:01 PM
yea tell him to get a bank acct. with BofA. i think all you need is a passport