PDA

View Full Version : A loan that we can actually apply for.

daffodils
07-12-2008, 01:42 AM
I'm posting this because I'm assuming a lot of you would like to take out a student loan..I found one that works for dreamies.

http://www.salliemae.com/content/tuitionanswer

Basically, you will need a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident with good credit as the main borrower. You put yourself as a "student" and if you do not have a SSN, an ITIN is acceptable as well. You don't need any citizenship or status proof.

If you get credit approved, all you need is:
-signed application
-copy of the main borrower's DL or passport
-proof that you are attending your college

Good luck!

Ed
07-12-2008, 02:35 AM
thanks. my bro has a loan with them. Im going to try to apply with them

free2be
07-12-2008, 12:21 PM
http://www.salliemae.com/site/ta/tuition-answer-loan.htm?

"Eligibility

The borrower, student, and any cosigner must have Social Security numbers.
The borrower and any cosigner must be U.S. citizens or eligible permanent residents.
The borrower must have good credit (http://www.salliemae.com/site/ta/faqs/cosigner-credit-faqs.htm)."Are you sure?

daffodils
07-12-2008, 12:26 PM
Well yes, that is the main borrower. You are the student, you do not have to be here legally. Trust me, I have nothing but an ITIN, and I applied for it.

free2be
07-12-2008, 12:38 PM
Well yes, that is the main borrower. You are the student, you do not have to be here legally. Trust me, I have nothing but an ITIN, and I applied for it.

Ah so you mean the person applying for you will be the one who is "borrowing?" If so, how would you be able to get your name on the loan as well, w/o having to meet the same requirements? Sorry if I'm missing something glaringly obvious lol; I'm operating on very little sleep.

daffodils
07-12-2008, 01:48 PM
The main borrower is borrowing for you, the student. On the application, after the U.S. Citizen, you put your information. Both of you are on the loan, and as I said, you have to send proof that you are attending your school to Sallie Mae. So you are on the loan.

I'm sorry if that makes no sense, I try.

HOPEFULDREAMER
07-12-2008, 01:52 PM
The Signature Student Loan is also accessible to DREAMies. I wrote a thread on it awhile ago. :)

daffodils
07-12-2008, 02:03 PM
You know, I tried applying for that, but they asked me to submit my visa proof, so I couldn't continue.

Did you get it?

HOPEFULDREAMER
07-12-2008, 05:24 PM
Yep. :) They didn't ask me for anything; only the co-signer!

swiftp
07-18-2008, 10:28 PM
Hey daffodils

How much did you borrow, if you don't mind saying?
So, let me get this straight, there can be a total of three persons on the loan app: the borrower, the student, and the cosigner?
When I was filling out the student information, it asked for my SSN...did you put your ITIN in that field?
Has your loan been approved? Have the funds been disbursed to you yet, or how long would it take?

Thanks, daffodils, and sorry for all the questions, I'm excited for the possibility of getting a loan!

G-bird_288
07-20-2008, 02:01 PM
I'm also interested in this. I'm a little confused. Which loan accepts just an ITIN and a legal resident cosigner, and which one asks for your visa? Did you ignore the visa part and just proceded with the application, or did it not ask you for the visa at all? Please help. I need money, or I don't think I'll make tuition before the deadline.

daffodils
07-20-2008, 02:24 PM
Hey daffodils

How much did you borrow, if you don't mind saying?
So, let me get this straight, there can be a total of three persons on the loan app: the borrower, the student, and the cosigner?
When I was filling out the student information, it asked for my SSN...did you put your ITIN in that field?
Has your loan been approved? Have the funds been disbursed to you yet, or how long would it take?

Thanks, daffodils, and sorry for all the questions, I'm excited for the possibility of getting a loan!

Yes, but if your main borrower has good credit, no need for a cosigner.

I put my ITIN in that field. They also told me over the phone that ITIN is fine.

It has been approved, but not disbursed yet because they're still checking my enrollement document. It takes 3-5 days after you fax in your documents for them to check it. In all, the whole process should take 2 weeks at most.

I borrowed 28,000 dollars.

G-bird_288, the Tuition Answer loan accepts an ITIN + legal borrower.

swiftp
07-20-2008, 07:55 PM
Ok, I've just applied for it, here's to hoping it goes through!

swiftp
07-23-2008, 06:45 PM
I was conditionally approved, but need a cosigner with "excellent credit" (talked to a lady on the phone) for this particular loan :/

daffodils
07-23-2008, 06:53 PM
I was conditionally approved, but need a cosigner with "excellent credit" (talked to a lady on the phone) for this particular loan :/

What exactly does it say when you check the status online?

I've spoken to a LOT of people on the phone and they all tend to say different things..

kenny1314
07-24-2008, 05:50 PM
if i apply for it, do we need to pay for interest?

daffodils
07-24-2008, 05:56 PM
if i apply for it, do we need to pay for interest?

But of course, how else will the bank make a profit?

kenny1314
07-24-2008, 06:40 PM
BUT....My friend loan money in cal state, there is no any interest?

daffodils
07-24-2008, 06:45 PM
BUT....My friend loan money in cal state, there is no any interest?

Most private loans have interest. I'm not really sure what you're talking about.

kenny1314
07-24-2008, 07:26 PM
Oh, i think mine is public one..

swiftp
07-28-2008, 07:36 PM
Well, I just got this message: "Congratulations! Your Sallie Mae Tuition Answer Loan application has been credit approved for $23,000.00."

Looks like this loan's the real deal :)

Thanks daffodils.

conte
07-28-2008, 08:20 PM

swiftp
07-28-2008, 09:08 PM
I ended up getting a cosigner and was approved.
For the student information, I don't think there's even a field for citizenship status.
I was a little bit concerned about putting ITIN instead of a SSN for me, but the only thing they're asking from me is proof of enrollment--the rest they ask of my borrower and cosigner.
Another thing is that even if your cosigner has insufficient credit, you can renew your application and apply with a different cosigner until you get a credit-worthy one.

conte
07-28-2008, 09:38 PM

daffodils
07-28-2008, 10:11 PM
I've rechecked loan applications for SallieMae, Chase, and Citibank today, and Citizenship status is one of the first things they all ask for from the "primary borrower", and if you don't have a cosigner, you're obviously screwed. I'm toying with the idea of just saying that I'm a citizen, but I'm ignorant of what the potential negative outcome of that would be, anybody know?

I think peer-to-peer loans might be something we could look into. I haven't tried getting loans from them but no cosigner or citizenship (for greennote anyway) is required.

http://www.collegeloanconsultant.com/peer-to-peer-loans.html

http://www.greennote.com/
http://www.fynanz.com

You can't just say that you're a citizen..they ask for a copy of your DL or passport. Dun dun dun. If you have anyone trustworthy who can help you out, go for the Sallie Mae loan.

K-Man
07-29-2008, 02:19 AM
I'm toying with the idea of just saying that I'm a citizen, but I'm ignorant of what the potential negative outcome of that would be, anybody know?

You forfeit ALL future immigration benefits, including Dream.

/thread stickied.

txgirl
08-07-2008, 07:08 PM
im tryng to apply for my brother but they are asking me for what type of loan i want to apply a career loan? what type of loan did yall aply for?

daffodils
08-11-2008, 12:24 PM
im tryng to apply for my brother but they are asking me for what type of loan i want to apply a career loan? what type of loan did yall aply for?

This is the Tuition Answer loan.

txgirl
08-12-2008, 12:17 AM
This is the Tuition Answer loan.

Anyway, guys, be careful when you choose the co-signer. Mine bailed on me on the way to the bank WITH the check in hand. You don't want that to happen to you, ever.

oh that sux im sorry im trying to get one of my uncles ( legal resident ) who leaves out in ny to cosign for me even tho i live in texas well the loans isnt for me its for my brother...

i called sallie mae and they ask me for a certain type of loan ?? any clue anyone? and once u are approved dont they send the check to the school and not to you?

HOPEFULDREAMER
08-21-2008, 11:00 AM
So...apparently the person handling my case at Sallie-Mae forgot to ask me about my visa info and just sent me the form requesting the passport stamp so, long story short, they took away my signature student loan. And, the best part (<---SARCASM) is that school officially starts in FIVE DAYS. sigh....

For the Tuition Answer loan, are you guys sure they don't ask for your visa? Like absolutely 10000% sure? Because now I'm getting scared that I can't go to school....

free2be
08-21-2008, 11:38 AM
So...apparently the person handling my case at Sallie-Mae forgot to ask me about my visa info and just sent me the form requesting the passport stamp so, long story short, they took away my signature student loan. And, the best part (<---SARCASM) is that school officially starts in FIVE DAYS. sigh....

For the Tuition Answer loan, are you guys sure they don't ask for your visa? Like absolutely 10000% sure? Because now I'm getting scared that I can't go to school....

I'm sorry to hear that. My scholarship just got taken away cause of immigration yesterday, and school starts Monday, so I know exactly how you feel unfortunately. I'm looking into this loan also, but the only cosigner I can get has a lot of loans already, so her credit isn't as good as it used to be. Do you think they would need excellent credit, or just decent?

I need some reassurance about this loan also, cause it seems like my last resort. I only need like $3000-$5000 for this semester and next, b/c I don't want to borrow too much in case, well, I'm not here in a year. Any extra info would be appreciated y'all. :)

daffodils
08-21-2008, 11:54 AM
You don't need visa info for the Tuition Answer loan, I'm positive. I got the check in the mail and everything, and they never asked for anything.

HOPEFULDREAMER
08-21-2008, 12:06 PM
I'm sorry to hear that. My scholarship just got taken away cause of immigration yesterday, and school starts Monday, so I know exactly how you feel unfortunately. I'm looking into this loan also, but the only cosigner I can get has a lot of loans already, so her credit isn't as good as it used to be. Do you think they would need excellent credit, or just decent?

I need some reassurance about this loan also, cause it seems like my last resort. I only need like $3000-$5000 for this semester and next, b/c I don't want to borrow too much in case, well, I'm not here in a year. Any extra info would be appreciated y'all. :)

I'm actually wondering about this myself. I have a creditworthy cosigner (my other bailed out when they asked for visa info) but they don't have excellent credit history.

Can anyone who has been the process help us out here? :)

And PS: Free, we totally are twins now! LOL...lots of hugs and well-wishes from me to you babe!

daffodils
08-21-2008, 12:34 PM
I don't think it has to be excellent, but it all depends on how much you borrow. If you're borrowing more than 20 grand, it has to be good, otherwise your interest rate will be crazy.

The loan is safe and secure, but it will cost you a LOT, depending on your repayment plan.

free2be
08-21-2008, 02:57 PM
I'm actually wondering about this myself. I have a creditworthy cosigner (my other bailed out when they asked for visa info) but they don't have excellent credit history.

Can anyone who has been the process help us out here? :)

And PS: Free, we totally are twins now! LOL...lots of hugs and well-wishes from me to you babe!

Lol thanks, I think you're right. We'll just tell everyone my tan is just much deeper than yours, that's all. I might try this loan, so let me know how things work out for you if you decide to try it. I kinda like going to school lol. :D

I don't think it has to be excellent, but it all depends on how much you borrow. If you're borrowing more than 20 grand, it has to be good, otherwise your interest rate will be crazy.

The loan is safe and secure, but it will cost you a LOT, depending on your repayment plan.

I won't be borrowing any more than $10,000, maybe not even that. I'll keep looking into it, but thanks for all your info.

swiftp
09-05-2008, 02:02 AM
I'm wondering how HOPEFULDREAMER and free2be are doing. As for me, they said everything's finalized and they should give me a disbursement date pretty soon.

HOPEFULDREAMER
09-10-2008, 06:23 PM
^The same thing that happened to daffodils happened to me. I was all set and ready with the loan but my borrower backed out at the last minute. Can't say I blame him; a $28,000 loan is a lot to justify, especially since you're doing it for someone that is not in your immediate family.

In the end, I just switched schools from a private university to a public university. Less stress and I even got to pay in-state tuition (for this semester at least lol...they might reverse it for spring) based on my in-state tuition status at my community college. Had I known this would happen, I wouldn't have even bothered with the other school.

Here's hoping it stays like that LOL.

Thanks for asking swiftp! :)

sibby
09-11-2008, 12:27 AM
i hate my school because it's so freakin expensive.

I know this might not have anything to do with the thread but I ran across this in the news today. The website is called prosper.com and it is literally like an ebay for loans. People who need loans for just about anything can try to get it at a negotiated interest rate with someone who would be willing to lend at that rate. I haven't really looked into it yet but it might be a possibility for some of us who need money to finish college and who can pay it back afterwards in some way. And by the looks of it, I don't think they prohibit undocumented aliens from participating, i don't think they actually care...

free2be
09-11-2008, 09:32 PM
Sorry I missed this! I still have to see what my financial aid people are going to say about exactly when I have to pay them by, etc, since school's closed now thanks to Ike in the Gulf. The only cosigner I have already has a lot of debt on their plate, so if I can figure out money for this semester w/o bothering them, that would be nice.

But it's great to know there is an alternative if need be. Thanks for caring and sharing all of the info guys! :)

FrankoKid
10-17-2008, 01:45 AM
Thanks this will probably be helpful for me next year

lolly1
12-16-2008, 01:04 PM
Hey guys, my dad has a work permit that's given to him each year and along with it he has a valid SSN with excellent credit (in the 700s). Can I still apply for the signature student loan? Is the interest rate high or is it reasonable? I don't want to borrow too much, just enough for this semester at least since I don't have a job, but if I only borrow for this semester can I reapply somehow in case I need more for the fall 2009 semester?

lolly1
12-16-2008, 03:42 PM
Oops, I meant the tuition answer loan, not the signature. Sorry.

daffodils
12-16-2008, 04:58 PM
Hey guys, my dad has a work permit that's given to him each year and along with it he has a valid SSN with excellent credit (in the 700s). Can I still apply for the signature student loan? Is the interest rate high or is it reasonable? I don't want to borrow too much, just enough for this semester at least since I don't have a job, but if I only borrow for this semester can I reapply somehow in case I need more for the fall 2009 semester?

Yes, he can apply. If he is approved, they will ask to see a copy of his Drivers License, so as long as he has that, you're fine.

Depending on your credit, the interest rate can be quite high, but if you start paying off right away it's not so bad.

Tuition Answer Loan is closed right now, I'm not sure which, probably because of the crappy economy. But they usually start giving them away again in the summer.

lolly1
12-16-2008, 06:15 PM
Man, I wa really getting my hopes up for this loan only to find out it's closed...are there any other alternatves? Scholarships, grants, etc. where you don't need a ssn? I start school in january and really want to do everything possible to actually start with some of it paid off.

piratedream
12-23-2008, 12:46 AM
I have the same question as lolly1, does anyone know of other loans or things like that that we can get? I don't need it until next year, but unless I get into some of the more elite colleges I'll need to find a way to pay for college.

daffodils
12-23-2008, 01:08 AM
There are no other loans at the present time that you can apply for. Even if there were some available in recent years, the current status of the economy is forcing the lenders to shut down the loans, or to be extremely selective about their customers.

I suggest you start applying for scholarships right now, and as soon as you decide on your college, call them up and see if you can work out a payment plan of some sort.

And of course, check back in the summer, perhaps Sallie Mae will open up Tuition Answer Loans. And if I find out about any others, I will be sure to post.

aspiringdoc
12-29-2008, 07:22 PM
What a great forum this is!! Thank you all for the information. I am currently a senior in college. Luckily I do not have debt associated with my undergrad career. My next step is to go to medical school, thus, I will be in desperate need of a loan!:shock: I am really hopeful of Tuition Answer Loan to be bcak on business ASAP.

daffodils
12-29-2008, 08:14 PM
I called up Sallie Mae recently, I was told that Tuition Answer would open up again in 2009, although I don't know when.

Keep in mind that the interest rates are quite high, try all other options before going for this loan.

aspiringdoc
01-02-2009, 11:31 PM
I have looked at many other options, but unfortunately dream students do not qualify for them; such as subsidized stafford loans. I am glad that you are telling me that Tuition Answer is coming back :smile: and if this high interest loan is my only option I will have to do it regardless. I think that my only option would be the approval of Dream Act, but this is got to hurry, I start med school on August. I appreciate your concern and advice, in case you know about any other option, please let us know.

DREAM2oo7
01-03-2009, 02:25 AM
I have looked at many other options, but unfortunately dream students do not qualify for them; such as subsidized stafford loans. I am glad that you are telling me that Tuition Answer is coming back :smile: and if this high interest loan is my only option I will have to do it regardless. I think that my only option would be the approval of Dream Act, but this is got to hurry, I start med school on August. I appreciate your concern and advice, in case you know about any other option, please let us know.

Med School? That's awesome! thats gonna be me in about 3 years when I finish my undergrad, hopefully! Big ups for making it that far, people like you remind me that my goal is attainable. Okay, back to the subject now...

aspiringdoc
01-09-2009, 12:31 AM
Med School? That's awesome! thats gonna be me in about 3 years when I finish my undergrad, hopefully! Big ups for making it that far, people like you remind me that my goal is attainable. Okay, back to the subject now...

Thanks for your comment...do doubt your goal is attainable, the only difference between DREAM students and legal students is that our road to our goals is bumpy and filled with obstacles, but at the end I think that we learn to appreciate what we have achieved even more and we don't take anything for granted. Keep it up and my best wishes to you!!

DREAM2oo7
01-09-2009, 05:11 PM
Thanks for your comment...do doubt your goal is attainable, the only difference between DREAM students and legal students is that our road to our goals is bumpy and filled with obstacles, but at the end I think that we learn to appreciate what we have achieved even more and we don't take anything for granted. Keep it up and my best wishes to you!!

Yes, a bunch of obstacles indeed. Thanks and I hope the best for you too! for all of us!

questionsihave
01-09-2009, 06:15 PM

I left you a pm.

Dreamm
03-16-2009, 11:43 AM
Tuition Answer Loans, is this the only loan that undocumented can apply for? Does anyone know the maximum we can borrow? Cause I am applying for grad school, the annual fee is like $40000...

Does any one know the interest rate and how does it calculate?
I have no idea... how does it calculate...
And how do we repay? Do we repay a certain amount every month?

daffodils
03-16-2009, 05:20 PM
Tuition Answer Loans, is this the only loan that undocumented can apply for? Does anyone know the maximum we can borrow? Cause I am applying for grad school, the annual fee is like $40000...

Does any one know the interest rate and how does it calculate?
I have no idea... how does it calculate...
And how do we repay? Do we repay a certain amount every month?

As of right now, that is the only one undocumented students can get. It's not being offered though, you should check back in the summer.

The maximum you can borrow is 40,000 as far as I recall. The interest rate depends on how good the main borrower's credit is, your method of repayment, and of course - how much you are borrowing.

You can defer repayment until you graduate, or you can start paying right away. There is a minimal monthly amount you have to pay, depending on how much you borrowed.

This loan should be used as a last resort, considering the interest rates can be quite high.

piratedream
03-29-2009, 02:54 AM
I'm not quite sure yet, but I think the CitiAssist loan through Citi may also be available to us. I've sent them an e-mail, but I'm pretty sure we can get a loan through them. You need a credit worthy cosigner who's a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident, and the loan will cover up to the full cost of the education.

https://www.studentloan.com/findstudentloan/citiassistundergraduateloan.htm

I'll get back to you guys when I receive a reply, but if it works, then it'll be good to have two loan providers instead of just one in case one falls through. I did a quick Google, and this website helps validate it:

http://www.law.msu.edu/finaid/intl_students.htm (http://www.law.msu.edu/finaid/intl_students.html)l

daffodils
03-29-2009, 03:19 AM
^ As I recall, you will need to prove that you are in the United States legally if you wish to obtain the Citi loan. I hope I'm wrong.

piratedream
03-30-2009, 08:07 PM
Yeah, no go:neutral:.

International students or permanent residents must provide one of the following that includes Social Security Number or INS documentation:

- Valid I-20 with an admission number.

- F-1 or J-1 Visa with a non-expired passport.

- I-94 document with valid expiration date for period of loan.

- I-688 A or B document with valid expiration date for period of loan.

- I-551 document with expiration equal to or greater than anticipated graduation date.

If you have any questions or need additional information, please email us or
call Customer Service at 1-800-967-2400 or collect at 605-331-0821, Monday
through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m., Eastern Time. Our Internet address
is www.studentloan.com and can be accessed 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

amandaaz
04-11-2009, 02:06 AM
How do I change loan from bank to loan from relatives? I am in a contract on a house set to close in a week. I am pre approved for a loan and have not yet given the final papers for the loan yet. Some relatives now have decided they would loan the whole amount of the house to me instead. How would this work out?

chopstix
04-18-2009, 01:38 AM
Hey guys I would like to apply for this loan for upcomming semester when its again available but I do not have ITIN #. Do I have to include the ITIN# in order to process this? or Can I skip or may use something else?

Tony

alexpac
05-13-2009, 09:53 PM
wow! thanks! I actually had to drop my classes this semester because i didn't have money for college! thanks!

Sonawabich
05-15-2009, 01:20 AM
I was denied by Sallie Mae for not having sufficient income. LOL WUT?!

I just applied for the lolz and got denied but then a lady calls up me saying I need to fax some info, which I did. At this point I am excited, maybe I'll get some loan.

Then it comes back again saying no income=no loan. The whole point of having a loan is to becaues YOU GOT NO MONEY.

daffodils
05-15-2009, 04:37 PM
I was denied by Sallie Mae for not having sufficient income. LOL WUT?!

I just applied for the lolz and got denied but then a lady calls up me saying I need to fax some info, which I did. At this point I am excited, maybe I'll get some loan.

Then it comes back again saying no income=no loan. The whole point of having a loan is to becaues YOU GOT NO MONEY.

Are you serious with this?

All loan companies ask for "sufficient income" because that's the only way they can guarantee that you will pay them back!

Carter86
05-15-2009, 05:07 PM
good info. im looking at many different loans so i can finish college. I only have 3 more classes to go.

Sonawabich
05-16-2009, 01:59 AM
Are you serious with this?

All loan companies ask for "sufficient income" because that's the only way they can guarantee that you will pay them back!

I wrote unemployed in the application. :sad: Crap

DreamActStudent
05-17-2009, 01:05 PM
I'm so sorry to be entirely off topic here, but since seemingly everyone who posted on this thread is a college student or a student in general..I was wondering if worst case scenario (You do get deported), do you get to keep your HS and College degrees?

deftbeta
05-17-2009, 03:14 PM
They can't take that away...

piratedream
05-19-2009, 05:23 PM
Hey guys, I was going to post this in the main forum, but I'm guessing it'd be of more use here. It's not a loan per se, but it does help. I'm not sure if all schools support it, but basically you take the lump sum of tuition and spread it out over the year, so instead of paying 25k I pay about 2.5k for 10 months for school. The university I plan on going sent me mail about it, and you can access it online at afford.com (http://afford.com).

Plus side is no interest on it, so you pay it, and there's a small enrollment fee of about $55 dollars.

Jay Stone
05-22-2009, 04:13 PM
Hey guys, I was going to post this in the main forum, but I'm guessing it'd be of more use here. It's not a loan per se, but it does help. I'm not sure if all schools support it, but basically you take the lump sum of tuition and spread it out over the year, so instead of paying 25k I pay about 2.5k for 10 months for school. The university I plan on going sent me mail about it, and you can access it online at afford.com (http://afford.com).

Plus side is no interest on it, so you pay it, and there's a small enrollment fee of about $55 dollars.

ahh dude! afford.com is awesome! Just the type of thing I was looking for. thanks.

motioniskey
05-30-2009, 02:14 AM
Hopefully the economic problem isn't going to affect this loan...

lizeth23
06-01-2009, 11:58 PM
im trying to apply for the sallie mae student loan... which type of loan is it? is it a private loan? where would i go for this? please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OptimistinDenial
06-20-2009, 01:44 AM
Hey, I just check this tv show. I already heard something in Democracy Now about student loans being predatory but I respect this show even more.

Even if you are in the minimum wage loan or the Uncle Pedro endowment, it does not hurt to check this show and educate all your friends about college loans.

The bottom line is, be careful. Don't get into a contract without reading the little letters or a contract you do not understand. You don't want to give your first child or your virtue to the banks.

http://www.pbs.org/now/shows/525/index.html

I know is a link just click on it and if it is not in the right episode, is in the same show. Don't be lazy and look for it.

in_pink
06-22-2009, 11:49 AM
Oh my, I didn't know we could actually apply for a loan. My advisors told me I couldn't.

I'm going to check it out right now!

unthinkable
06-24-2009, 09:24 PM
I suggest you guys don't do anything hasty and wait till DA passes this year. I know how desperate you guys are cause I'm also in the same situation. If there indeed was a loan for people like us then it would have become wide spread and everyone would know about it.

Pau80
07-05-2009, 06:47 PM
so i can't apply for salliemae? I have a colombian passport and ssn, as do my parents. I would not have a co-signer since my credit is better than my parents'. would they ask me anything else other than my ssn?

buckminsterfullerene
07-11-2009, 08:49 PM
I suggest you guys don't do anything hasty and wait till DA passes this year. I know how desperate you guys are cause I'm also in the same situation. If there indeed was a loan for people like us then it would have become wide spread and everyone would know about it.

its not a loan for people like us, rather it is a loan for a person that will be taking it out on our behalf and willing to use their credit. You would have to find someone that has legal residence in the US and is willing and capable of taking out the loan and cover the costs, that person will be the one responsible. I am also assuming that the loan would pay the school directly.

its pretty much like asking someone to go to the bank and take out a cash loan that you could use for the school, except that I am assuming this will have a lower interest rate then such a loan and one could take out a larger amount to cover the college.

MDxOD
07-12-2009, 06:43 PM
I believe CitiAssist works as well too.

Viper1990
07-12-2009, 07:16 PM

Yes, that;s what i have been told too. Going to citibank tomorrow to apply

buckminsterfullerene
07-13-2009, 09:18 PM
Originally Posted by stevieola View Post

its not a loan for people like us, rather it is a loan for a person that will be taking it out on our behalf and willing to use their credit. You would have to find someone that has legal residence in the US and is willing and capable of taking out the loan and cover the costs, that person will be the one responsible. I am also assuming that the loan would pay the school directly.

its pretty much like asking someone to go to the bank and take out a cash loan that you could use for the school, except that I am assuming this will have a lower interest rate then such a loan and one could take out a larger amount to cover the college.

Now I will have to recant what I mentioned. After reading the dream act as mentioned in the senate and the house of representatives, and yes they both say different things, the one in the house mentioned that there will be no assistance from Part A of Title IV which are the grants and stuff like that available for students that meet the requirements of the act and in the Senate it goes a different way and does not mentioned disqualifying Part A, but instead mentioned that Part B, D and E of title IV will be available after the students becomes "lawful permanent residents" which in the way that I am interpreting would technically take place after the 2 years of college are completed or if you go the military route the 2 years in the military, those are the loans that are federally backed and it may include those available to a parent or a students or a student with a cosigner.

Here are the dream acts in the house and senate in their entirety:
Senate: http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c111:S.729:
House: http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c111:H.R.1751:
Higher Education Act of 1965: http://www.nrcys.ou.edu/yd/programs/pdfs/hea1965.pdf (its about 1.5 megs)

What I am trying to say is that the law has many ways it could go wrong if one does not consult someone that is familiarized with the law for help. Say... is there anyone here that is going to school to become a lawyer that could go look stuff like this up? :-p

I am simply aggreing with steviola in that we should take this slowly and not do anything hasty lest we make a mistake and become disqualified for the dream act. However, I am not too sure about a loan that undocummented students can apply for will generally be commercialized too much, perhaps one that does not disqualify undocummented students, one which someone can take out on with the help of someone else on behalf of us is out there.

Lets not lose hope and continue on looking for something.

buckminsterfullerene
07-13-2009, 09:50 PM

I don't know, in their online application there is the field where one is supposed to put in their social security number, and generally these kinds of loans are available to build up the credit of the third party, the student by using someone else's and probably better credit, the cosigner, to get a large loan and one taken directly out by the student which may not have much credit due to age.

I will however be asking a few lawyers this weekend regarding potential loans out there which I could get into, as well a few people in my univ. that may be more familiarized with other loans that are out there and their application procedures for one that might work for people in my status.

right now I am looking at a few options that are actually aimed at international students, which generally are private loans.
http://www.internationalstudentloan.com/apply/apply.php
the one above requires only a us citizen and would be repayed up to 25 years later, unfortunately it is not available right now due to the economy but ironically it refers you to the sallie mae as the best option after completing their application.

This place provides some potential leads as to places to look into, which I will be doing so when I have the time, but as it may be generally the case everyone's case might be different and what works for me might not work for everyone.
http://www.edupass.org/finaid/loans.phtml

A suggestion refered to me by an immigration lawyer is to stay away from federally backed loans/scholarships/grants because in applying for them when I am not legally here might be considered fraud and might disqualify me if a legal path suddenly becomes available, like the dream act. So i suggest looking for private or non-profit loans.

hkk24
07-21-2009, 07:53 PM
i have a question!

after we have taken out this loan and graduated from college, what are the payment plans?

this may sound like a stupid questions, but
are the cosigners affected by this in any way?

and hypothetically speaking, if we're not able
to pay it back will the cosigner be charged for it?

buckminsterfullerene
07-21-2009, 08:03 PM
i have a question!

after we have taken out this loan and graduated from college, what are the payment plans?

this may sound like a stupid questions, but
are the cosigners affected by this in any way?

and hypothetically speaking, if we're not able
to pay it back will the cosigner be charged for it?

The cosigner is putting his credit on the line in order to take out the loan at a lower rate then the student with less credit-worthy history is able to achieve. So if the loan does not get paid in a timely manner the credit of the cosigner will be affected.

As far as payment plans it can vary depending on the loan provider.

whaowdude
08-02-2009, 03:19 AM
does anyone know when the sallie mae program that allow dreamies to take out a loan be active again...and wats the name of the citi bank loan that allows dreamies to take out a loan. thanks for the help.

buckminsterfullerene
08-03-2009, 04:55 PM
does anyone know when the sallie mae program that allow dreamies to take out a loan be active again...and wats the name of the citi bank loan that allows dreamies to take out a loan. thanks for the help.

CitiAssist, as for the sallie mae, hopefully some time in the near future. A lot of the private loans that would permit people in our status applying for them have been eliminated due to the economy at the time. However, the economy has been getting better, the numbers in the stock market have been going up for a while, but its tough to predict when they will bring that loan back.

rosemary90
08-04-2009, 01:49 AM
I don't have a USC or PR that I know of that would cosign the loan.
However, if my parents have valid SSN that is their own,
can they cosign it for me?

jothesh2
08-04-2009, 08:40 PM
So I'm lost.
Which one are actually still available?

buckminsterfullerene
08-04-2009, 08:55 PM
So I'm lost.
Which one are actually still available?

I thought CitiAssist had some potential, but they are apparently asking for an I-20 and SERVIS number. Sallie Mae is still not available, and a whole bunch of other private loans that were given to international students with the sole requirements of having a USC co-signer have been out due to the economy.

I am afraid the answer is none, unless someone on this forum has been approved for a loan and they have just kept quiet about it... anyone?

jothesh2
08-04-2009, 09:52 PM
well thanks anyways.
I appreciate it.

I guess I will be taking a year off unless I can get the money to pay for 1/3 of the tuition. >.>

yurchie
08-05-2009, 04:35 AM
If you have a US Citizen cosigner, you can apply for a US Bank no-fee education loan.

http://www.usbank.com/cgi_w/cfm/personal/products_and_services/student_banking/sup_cert.cfm#nofee_loan

jothesh2
08-05-2009, 06:06 AM
If you have a US Citizen cosigner, you can apply for a US Bank no-fee education loan.

http://www.usbank.com/cgi_w/cfm/personal/products_and_services/student_banking/sup_cert.cfm#nofee_loan

did you use this loan?
If so how was the process.

yurchie
08-07-2009, 12:55 AM
I did not. I'm pretty sure you'll have to submit the paper application if you don't have a drivers license or SS, but if you have a USC cosigner, you should be fine.

Ytrewq
08-07-2009, 11:06 AM
Well, I just found out that CitiAssist needs a I-20 but I called them personally and asked them if they would allow people like us with a US co-signer and they said that they do. So basically their reps do not know anything about the services they offer. Unfortunately, I wasted my time filling all those forms out and the co-signer's. In addition, I look like a misinformed idiot in front of everyone. Anyways, I need a loan to start college or I am not gonna be able to go, which would be devastating for me. Well, does anyone know of this USBank because I have never heard of them.

buckminsterfullerene
08-07-2009, 08:37 PM
I did not. I'm pretty sure you'll have to submit the paper application if you don't have a drivers license or SS, but if you have a USC cosigner, you should be fine.

currently applying online. if you leave the ssn field blank and click send it will say that you need to fill it out with either your SSN or Tax ID (ITIN) number.

and I called about the driver's license, the person said to simply put the state of residence in the field, did that and completed that portion, still missing the co-signer information portion and it will be completed.

this is for the usbank loan located at:
https://www2.usbank.com/cgi_w2/cfm/studentloans/alt_loans/app_home_1_br3.cfm?loantype=NOFEE&SID=

will update when more information becomes available, really hoping this one works out, its private and intended to supplement for other loans.

jothesh2
08-07-2009, 09:14 PM
currently applying online. if you leave the ssn field blank and click send it will say that you need to fill it out with either your SSN or Tax ID (ITIN) number.

and I called about the driver's license, the person said to simply put the state of residence in the field, did that and completed that portion, still missing the co-signer information portion and it will be completed.

https://www2.usbank.com/cgi_w2/cfm/studentloans/alt_loans/app_home_1_br3.cfm?loantype=NOFEE&SID=

will update when more information becomes available, really hoping this one works out, its private and intended to supplement for other loans.

I wish you luck! Hopefully it passes for you.

jetsrulez
08-09-2009, 05:56 PM

Do you have to have a Tax ID, in order to apply for this loan?

buckminsterfullerene
08-09-2009, 11:11 PM
Do you have to have a Tax ID, in order to apply for this loan?

their number is 1-800-242-1200.

I do believe you will need the tax id, however looking through their page it seems that they ask for a driver's license and the SSN or tax ID as a way to identify who you are in order to meet federal law guidelines in place to prevent the funding of terrorism and money laundering.

I would find a way to get the tax id if you do not have one, its something really good to have as it could also allow you to open credit card accounts.

xav1er07
08-25-2009, 05:26 PM
well i try to apply for the no fee loan by usbank no dice u need a valid ssn when u submit ur application and call thats what they need a valid ssn so ur ittin is useless so up to this point there is no loan we can apply for not citti assits (which i also tried) not sallie (which i also tried) and not usbank. I have a cosigner with good credit that has helped me through these various loans and i have my ittin but no well if anyone knows of one or thinks we can apply for one let us know ill try it and let u guys know....

buckminsterfullerene
08-25-2009, 10:34 PM
well i try to apply for the no fee loan by usbank no dice u need a valid ssn when u submit ur application and call thats what they need a valid ssn so ur ittin is useless so up to this point there is no loan we can apply for not citti assits (which i also tried) not sallie (which i also tried) and not usbank. I have a cosigner with good credit that has helped me through these various loans and i have my ittin but no well if anyone knows of one or thinks we can apply for one let us know ill try it and let u guys know....

but if you leave the field blank in the online form it brings up a prompt window that you need to fill the field with a valid SSN or an ITIN number.

wait, unless you mean that you submitted the entire application online (the three parts), with the ITIN and they still said no?

xav1er07
08-26-2009, 12:02 AM
thats right yea i left it blank to see what would it say and yea it said to put a valid ssn or ittin right and well i put my ittin and i did everything i was suppose to and nope i even called and she said u need a social and she was rude about it but oh well....i'm goin to ask someone to take out a personal loan out for me will be my only hope of goin to school :(

buckminsterfullerene
08-26-2009, 12:58 AM
thats right yea i left it blank to see what would it say and yea it said to put a valid ssn or ittin right and well i put my ittin and i did everything i was suppose to and nope i even called and she said u need a social and she was rude about it but oh well....i'm goin to ask someone to take out a personal loan out for me will be my only hope of goin to school :(

wait... so you never completed the third part, it never said complete on the side?

Dude, I called them and told them I was applying as an international student, which would mean I do not have a SSN either way, you only need that if you are not applying with a cosigner. Heck, it even asks you in the application if you are a US citizen or a Permanent Resident, if you select no it tells you that the cosigner has to be a USC or PR with a permanent US address and ph. number.

whoever you talked to was gravely miss-informed, or maybe did not understand.

in all fairness though, when I called I was also received with service that I did not find too great, the person I talked to just seemed ... errmm... as if she had answered my question too many times already, somewhat bored.

buckminsterfullerene
08-26-2009, 02:27 PM
wait i'm confused all those loans require a ssn....

i really need a loan to pay for my college and i can't find anything

i wish the dream act could pass soon

Not necessarily if you have a cosigner, at least for the us bank and probably the sallie mae, as well as the citiAssist. The only thing is that the citiAssist requires a SEVIS number which we cannot acquire (a sort of tracking number for international students coming from abroad), the sallie mae is not available at this point but it has accepted dreamers in the past, I think some that were here where actually able to secure that one when it was available, and the US bank is still undefined, i am currently applying to that one and will be reporting once I get approved or denied, right now I am just waiting on the cosigner to send me his information so that I can put it in, but it has accepted my information and my school information so far.
I mean in their application they specifically ask if you are a USC or PR in one question and if you select no it specifically tells you that you need a USC or PR cosigner, so... that is the best I have seen in a long time as far as student loans.

xav1er07
08-26-2009, 03:40 PM
wait ur telling me u filled out all three parts and u got approved only with ur ittin cuz i filled out all three parts and...it also said when i submit my application it says my ssn number is invalid when i called and told the lady that i didnt put my ssn number because i didn't have one that i put my ittin instead she said i needed a ssn number....but if u got approve tell me how:cry:

buckminsterfullerene
08-27-2009, 11:07 PM
wait ur telling me u filled out all three parts and u got approved only with ur ittin cuz i filled out all three parts and...it also said when i submit my application it says my ssn number is invalid when i called and told the lady that i didnt put my ssn number because i didn't have one that i put my ittin instead she said i needed a ssn number....but if u got approve tell me how:cry:

I have not been approved yet, still waiting for my cosigner to supply me with his information, the other two parts are completed with green check marks on the side.
by tomorrow I should receive the cosigner information, supposedly they tell you whether you are approved or not rather quickly, so soon I will be able to inform you whether the loan was approved or not.

I am starting to get worried about all of this now if they told you that. But the whole idea of having a cosigner is that the cosigner is putting his credit on the line, you are just using the loan, it would be understandable that the cosigner would supply the SSN, but if you are an international student then you are not going to have an SSN to begin with. shortly I will be able to tell if I pass or not.

xav1er07
08-28-2009, 12:35 AM
well hope it goes for u and u tell me how u did it...yea i got all three check marks i email them just got their response and yea they said u need a ssn even if ur an international student....:cry: my only hope is not a personal loan but man a personal for 16,000 is alot interest is alot like 27 % sucks and that only goin for 2 semseters man im so down....

buckminsterfullerene
08-28-2009, 10:53 PM
well hope it goes for u and u tell me how u did it...yea i got all three check marks i email them just got their response and yea they said u need a ssn even if ur an international student....:cry: my only hope is not a personal loan but man a personal for 16,000 is alot interest is alot like 27 % sucks and that only goin for 2 semseters man im so down....

well... this sucks, apparently after waiting all this time for this person to give me his info, he comes up telling me that he cant because he had declared bankruptcy 4 years ago.... so now, basically everyone I know that could apply for this loan either has too much debt, declared bankruptcy or got their status fixed so recently that their tax records do not account anywhere near enough the minimum yearly wage that is required for this loan.

I will have to use my credit card for this semester, seems like I have to pay roughly 18k out of pocket thanks for the drastic increase in tuition, what's sad is that this school is still the cheapest I got into by far.
27% for a personal loan, damn, I think a credit card is pretty damn close to that.

I am also pretty down man, weighting whether or not to take a leave of absence while I collect enough money to cover the cost and delay schooling until the DA passes and I can apply for the federalplus or simply pay with the credit card which would bring about an additional ~3k in interest per year. but then I only have enough credit to basically cover one semester.
My parents are talking about how they will have to take more jobs in order to pay for this, I was hoping for the loan so that they would not have to work and maybe 6 months after I graduated when I was supposed to start paying up, it would be mostly me, I get really stressed when other people are paying for stuff that I use, and it sucks that I am really in no position to do anything about it.

well... it seems from your explanation that there was a likelihood that I would not be accepted either way.

Sallie Mae when are you coming back?!?!

yurchie
08-29-2009, 12:31 AM
well... this sucks, apparently after waiting all this time for this person to give me his info, he comes up telling me that he cant because he had declared bankruptcy 4 years ago.... so now, basically everyone I know that could apply for this loan either has too much debt, declared bankruptcy or got their status fixed so recently that their tax records do not account anywhere near enough the minimum yearly wage that is required for this loan.

I will have to use my credit card for this semester, seems like I have to pay roughly 18k out of pocket thanks for the drastic increase in tuition, what's sad is that this school is still the cheapest I got into by far.
27% for a personal loan, damn, I think a credit card is pretty damn close to that.

I am also pretty down man, weighting whether or not to take a leave of absence while I collect enough money to cover the cost and delay schooling until the DA passes and I can apply for the federalplus or simply pay with the credit card which would bring about an additional ~3k in interest per year. but then I only have enough credit to basically cover one semester.
My parents are talking about how they will have to take more jobs in order to pay for this, I was hoping for the loan so that they would not have to work and maybe 6 months after I graduated when I was supposed to start paying up, it would be mostly me, I get really stressed when other people are paying for stuff that I use, and it sucks that I am really in no position to do anything about it.

well... it seems from your explanation that there was a likelihood that I would not be accepted either way.

Sallie Mae when are you coming back?!?!

I don't think education is worth that amount of debt, especially if you can't pay it back yourself and are relying on people to pay it for you. I'm in that situation right now, and it is really tough.

buckminsterfullerene
08-29-2009, 11:34 AM
I don't think education is worth that amount of debt, especially if you can't pay it back yourself and are relying on people to pay it for you. I'm in that situation right now, and it is really tough.

It really is not worth that much, I mean, look at other countries. My sis. went to one of the best schools in my country of origin and it only cost about 2k per year, and her education has actually taken her far in this country, but then, I doubt that country even having the kind of lab equipment that I will hopefully gain access to in the near future as my major progresses.

I have been pre-approved for the federalplus, right now I am weighting whether to take it or not. My parents are PR, the risk that I see is if it will be considered fraud that someone like me manages to get that loan, my sister reasons that it is a loan given to the parents of students not to the students directly but there is just something in the letter of the law that has halted me from moving along with this loan, and its clearly on there. It requires that both the parent and student have the same status and a valid SSN (both verified according to the law).

Pre-approved is supposed to be a done deal, did I just pass that check somehow, or are they going to do it later (apparently my sister placed in the ITIN, and a couple of weeks later received the pre-approved letter)? If I get it, would it be considered fraud if I apply for the DA, or will they excuse that (it happens to be mentioned in the DA, it is under the act that we would be able to apply for after the DA passes)?

does any one know what kind of lawyer would be able to answer that kind of question with some certainty? (unfortunately it feels that since there is not DA yet, then many lawyers are really not that aware about the small details).

xav1er07
08-29-2009, 02:07 PM
ay if I was u ill stay away from any federal money....federal money is only granted to students with legal status...u might get into some big trouble...i've talked to my transfer consuler about it and he basically said that we as illegals can't get any money from the gov. period. And about the creadit cards...Your education is worth every penny...I dont have any money for college either but my sis since she is legal is goin to help me anyway possible...and my mom is goin to help me pay for my amazin 27,000 a year education...because u know what after everything is said and done u'll be that much better off...do worry about the debt ppl that go to college make 1,000,000 dollars more then ppl who don't...put ur life in gods hands and everything will be okay...ay i dont like my mom working to pay off my debts either but....but i figure ill buy her a house one day :p

xav1er07
08-29-2009, 02:11 PM
oh one more thing u guys should check if ur school offers student loans mine does and it seem they will offer it to any student as along is he/she is a student im pretty sure not completly i haven't researched enough to know for sho but yea i think every UC is california does that....but it crazy cuz if u borrow 5,000 at the end of ur school year u owe 7,000 alot of interest 7.2 % but ay payments of 112 month not bad i figure....(while in school)...well..yea check into ur school but again stay away from federally funded money...i guess my school works with an indepent provider or who know i have to look into myself.....god bless..

buckminsterfullerene
08-29-2009, 03:12 PM
oh one more thing u guys should check if ur school offers student loans mine does and it seem they will offer it to any student as along is he/she is a student im pretty sure not completly i haven't researched enough to know for sho but yea i think every UC is california does that....but it crazy cuz if u borrow 5,000 at the end of ur school year u owe 7,000 alot of interest 7.2 % but ay payments of 112 month not bad i figure....(while in school)...well..yea check into ur school but again stay away from federally funded money...i guess my school works with an indepent provider or who know i have to look into myself.....god bless..

7.2% is actually a very good interest rate, federal plus is locked at 8.5%. and the us bank is variable between 1.5 and 8.9 i think. credit cards are generally between 22 and 35%, but it has considerable variability that depends on your credit score and could change without any notice.

my school does not offer any loans, all they offer are payment plans, but they just eliminated the 12 month and 9 month payment plan, which means, people will end up paying a lot more a lot faster.

yeah, that was my though about the federal money, its the reason why I have halted my family from going along with it.

... to owe 7k from 5k borrowed at the end of the year the interest would have to be 40%, now that would be insane, lol... at 7.2% is basically $72 for every 1000 borrowed.

yurchie
08-29-2009, 03:55 PM
Taking the federal plus is a huge risk. I think an immigration lawyer would be most suited to answer your question though.

xav1er07
08-29-2009, 04:12 PM
well i just looked into it and all independent lenders ask for some proof of legal status well kinda sucks....imma have to take out a personal loan which sucks even more....well....thats life oh ppl do ur dam best to attend locally back to school dream act day of action sept 23...anti-immigrant groups are doin they're part to halt our future let's do our part and show ppl we are serious about going to college....god knows we need money to attend

buckminsterfullerene
09-01-2009, 09:50 PM
uggh... yeah, you were right, mine was denied for the SSN, I called and the person simply told me I needed an SSN, even when I told her that I had a cosigner and that the form told me to put an ITIN when I left it blank, she just said... I need an SSN... so annoying.

guess that means we are back to square one with this student loan thing.

anyone else with any other ideas of other places that might give us a student loan?

dream_hope
09-02-2009, 02:26 AM
uggh... yeah, you were right, mine was denied for the SSN, I called and the person simply told me I needed an SSN, even when I told her that I had a cosigner and that the form told me to put an ITIN when I left it blank, she just said... I need an SSN... so annoying.

guess that means we are back to square one with this student loan thing.

anyone else with any other ideas of other places that might give us a student loan?

So the US Bank Loan is a no-go? even with an ITIN? This is so disappointing. I got too excited for it for no reason. Sigh.... :'(

dandelions
09-02-2009, 03:31 AM
There are currently no loans available to undocumented students. I honestly don't know if Sallie Mae will bring back the Tuition Answer loan, I've called them a couple of times, and I'm never given a straight answer.

yaaayji
09-05-2009, 12:40 PM
Good News!

I applied for a CitiAssist loan awhile ago, and I got it!! I sent in a blank I-20 form and they disbursed the money to my school. Don't lose hope! Try CitiAssist--I was a nervous wreck and didn't know what was going to happen, but the loan came through; hopefully, you guys can get it too.

dream_hope
09-06-2009, 04:21 AM
Good News!

I applied for a CitiAssist loan awhile ago, and I got it!! I sent in a blank I-20 form and they disbursed the money to my school. Don't lose hope! Try CitiAssist--I was a nervous wreck and didn't know what was going to happen, but the loan came through; hopefully, you guys can get it too.

How long ago did you do this? I'm scared they give the money, and then when they realize the form is blank, they'll take it away :(

yaaayji
09-06-2009, 10:54 AM
Check your PM.

tusol17
09-06-2009, 11:54 PM
Good News!

Hi, im new the forum. I just wanted to know how did you apply? what did you put in the ssn requirement?
Im trying to start college soon but i just cant afford itt:-?

yaaayji
09-07-2009, 10:38 AM
Hi, im new the forum. I just wanted to know how did you apply? what did you put in the ssn requirement?
Im trying to start college soon but i just cant afford itt:-?

I applied over online-there is a section that says "student without ssn" which is what i clicked; the only thing is that students without ssn must have a credit-worthy u.s. citizen as a co-signer to apply for the loan.

If you have any extra questions, just PM me :) hope this helps.

GAngel84
09-08-2009, 11:37 PM
-k- guys im new here and i been reading your post... now i know we going in circles but i been trying really hard on building my credit using my ITIN number. Now i have had my number for half a decade now and NEVER used it for credit purposes till now. I have reported taxes on it, used it to get my Drivers license and even get myself a bank account. Now that im tryin to build credit on this companies ya have mention like -Capital One, BoA, Chase, AMEX- i have had no luck at ALL. I keep getting deny and it keeps sayin that i have no credit history or even says that i have missing information from credit Beaurus. I have even called the Credit Bearus, well at least TransUnion and they said that they even have a file on me but no lenders on them... So I dunno what else i have left to do SOMEONE plz do give me some advice here.

Well I have not applied for a loan due to the fact that i have called anonymously to local lenders and asked if they accept ITIN first and they say no... i have not tried banks thou and i have not tried my own bank which is BoA yet -well at least personally-

jetsrulez
09-10-2009, 11:53 AM
I applied over online-there is a section that says "student without ssn" which is what i clicked; the only thing is that students without ssn must have a credit-worthy u.s. citizen as a co-signer to apply for the loan.

If you have any extra questions, just PM me :) hope this helps.

I cant find the section where it says "student without ssn". Can anyone help me find that?

withchemicals
09-14-2009, 04:34 PM
-k- guys im new here and i been reading your post... now i know we going in circles but i been trying really hard on building my credit using my ITIN number. Now i have had my number for half a decade now and NEVER used it for credit purposes till now. I have reported taxes on it, used it to get my Drivers license and even get myself a bank account. Now that im tryin to build credit on this companies ya have mention like -Capital One, BoA, Chase, AMEX- i have had no luck at ALL. I keep getting deny and it keeps sayin that i have no credit history or even says that i have missing information from credit Beaurus. I have even called the Credit Bearus, well at least TransUnion and they said that they even have a file on me but no lenders on them... So I dunno what else i have left to do SOMEONE plz do give me some advice here.

Well I have not applied for a loan due to the fact that i have called anonymously to local lenders and asked if they accept ITIN first and they say no... i have not tried banks thou and i have not tried my own bank which is BoA yet -well at least personally-

Before you apply for a credit card you need credit... or a credit history.

The simplest way to obtain a credit history and positive credit is to start off with a "secure card". Basically you pay a deposit and you will have that amount as credit. Once you "graduate" from your secure card, they will return your deposit but let you retain the amount of credit that you had as pure credit (not backed up by a deposit). You may also apply for more credit cards, a credit increase, etc... (this should all be Google-able...)

I myself applied for a $500 Visa credit card (deposited $500) and "graduated" a long time ago. Currently have a healthy credit line. :)

Oh by the way, in case you're wondering when you graduate from the provisional secure card status, they regularly check your secure card usage and how much you owe, if you've paid the full balance fully ever, if you ever went above your credit limit, etc. Eventually they'll simply send you a mail congratulating you on leaving the provisional secure card status and give you your deposit back. You can never know when they'll do this though!

bort
09-16-2009, 12:14 AM
How do you send in a blank I-20 form? Where do you obtain it?

murs4president
10-07-2009, 12:52 AM
does anyone have an update whether or not they got a loan without an SSN? i really need a loan because i just got accepted into a private school. thanks!

stilldreamin
10-08-2009, 07:08 PM

Off Topic but, what state do you live in?

loquito23
10-28-2009, 10:34 AM
Before you apply for a credit card you need credit... or a credit history.

The simplest way to obtain a credit history and positive credit is to start off with a "secure card". Basically you pay a deposit and you will have that amount as credit. Once you "graduate" from your secure card, they will return your deposit but let you retain the amount of credit that you had as pure credit (not backed up by a deposit). You may also apply for more credit cards, a credit increase, etc... (this should all be Google-able...)

I myself applied for a $500 Visa credit card (deposited $500) and "graduated" a long time ago. Currently have a healthy credit line. :)

Oh by the way, in case you're wondering when you graduate from the provisional secure card status, they regularly check your secure card usage and how much you owe, if you've paid the full balance fully ever, if you ever went above your credit limit, etc. Eventually they'll simply send you a mail congratulating you on leaving the provisional secure card status and give you your deposit back. You can never know when they'll do this though!

My mom has had this BOA secured card for over a year. She deposited 100 dollars and they gave her a 500 dollar credit line. It's been 1 1/2 yrs and she still doesn't have a normal credit card. Why is this? Does anyone know?

2Face
11-03-2009, 11:50 PM
I guess they are not offering this loan anymore. Is ANYONE over here aware of any such loans we can apply for? My parents have been paying out of pocket for my tuition for the last three and half years. My family has been paying taxes using ITIN as well. Can someone PLEASE help me find a loan which I can apply for with an eligible cosigner? Thank you!!

Vision
11-04-2009, 01:43 AM
Yeah...

It so sucks that it is not available anymore.

Things just get worse for DA students. :???:

GAngel84
12-07-2009, 03:43 AM
Off Topic but, what state do you live in?

I live in the state of Georgia... y?

stilldreamin
12-07-2009, 10:18 AM
I live in the state of Georgia... y?

You said something about getting your driver's license with your ITIN. Just caught my eye. Howd you do it? or when?

piratedream
01-30-2010, 06:42 PM
Hey guys, has anyone heard about any other loans that are open to us?

I've managed to get into one of the better public universities in my state :) but, I didn't receive any aid. My parents decided to pay the fees on a monthly basis through afford.com, but it's about 20k a year and they don't make too much money from their jobs. I'm a freshmen in college, and we've almost finished paying the first years fee (through credit cards and whatnot, I know, a bad idea), but this isn't sustainable. I have willing U.S. citizen cosigners, it's just that I can't find the loans.