DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   It's time for me to go. Any advice on leaving? (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=76390)

1Up 03-21-2017 08:36 PM

It's time for me to go. Any advice on leaving?

Hey guys,

After the last circlejerk with USCIS, getting fired after my DACA expired, being called "a fucking unemployed immigrant," being unemployed for 6 months, and having to worry about my status every day since Trump took over, I have decided that it's probably time to move. Marriage is not an option since my current SO doesn't want to get married, and I don't want to waste time/effort trying to find someone else. I want my freedom by the end of 2018.

When DACA came around, I was excited, thinking that it would be enough for me to be able to work and drive, two luxuries I never had before, but now I realize that if my DACA expires again, I will be back to the shit I've been dealing with for the last 6 months. It's just endless limbo for me.

So, I am wondering if anybody here can point me to some resources for getting out of the US, without having to go "back" to a third world country. I have a bachelor's in engineer, with 3 years of work experience, and will have a masters pretty soon as well. I am thinking I could do an MBA in another country and try to find a job there when I graduate. OR I could directly get a job in another country OR move somewhere directly and figure out the job part later.

Does anyone have any advice on how to begin my search? Do you know of someone who has moved to another country? Does anyone know a really good lawyer that may be able to help? I would like to move to somewhere like Canada/Australia/New Zealand... honestly, Western Europe... any developed region of the world.

Got_Daca 03-21-2017 08:44 PM

Re: It's time for me to go. Any advice on leaving?

What is your engineering field?

1Up 03-21-2017 09:10 PM

Mechanical.

JohannBernoulli1667 03-21-2017 09:18 PM

Mechcmanical will be a tough sell. There are many mechanical engineers everywhere and the competition is huge. There are many people with master's I and phds from the 3rd world waiting for their chance for a better life. I recommend to do the following, bust it out a few more years. Get a master's degree from the u.s and your chances will increase.

1Up 03-21-2017 09:22 PM

Well, That's why my Master's is in Data Analytics. I want to be able to leave once I finish the program. That way I could get a job in engineering OR data science.

JohannBernoulli1667 03-21-2017 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Up (Post 609916)
Well, That's why my Master's is in Data Analytics. I want to be able to leave once I finish the program. That way I could get a job in engineering OR data science.

You are in good shape

I hear Australia is a good option. Also with you qualifications I am confident you should be able to find a job back home and save for a while before going somewhere else.

I would wait a few more years, life with DACA is not terrible.

I am from a similar background. I have a B.S in mechanical and a master's in mechanical and currently going for my master's in C.S

I feel leaving now is a bad idea. If you want a reset, move somewhere new within the states.

brz09tls 03-21-2017 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Up (Post 609911)
Hey guys,

After the last circlejerk with USCIS, getting fired after my DACA expired, being called "a fucking unemployed immigrant," being unemployed for 6 months, and having to worry about my status every day since Trump took over, I have decided that it's probably time to move. Marriage is not an option since my current SO doesn't want to get married, and I don't want to waste time/effort trying to find someone else. I want my freedom by the end of 2018.

When DACA came around, I was excited, thinking that it would be enough for me to be able to work and drive, two luxuries I never had before, but now I realize that if my DACA expires again, I will be back to the shit I've been dealing with for the last 6 months. It's just endless limbo for me.

So, I am wondering if anybody here can point me to some resources for getting out of the US, without having to go "back" to a third world country. I have a bachelor's in engineer, with 3 years of work experience, and will have a masters pretty soon as well. I am thinking I could do an MBA in another country and try to find a job there when I graduate. OR I could directly get a job in another country OR move somewhere directly and figure out the job part later.

Does anyone have any advice on how to begin my search? Do you know of someone who has moved to another country? Does anyone know a really good lawyer that may be able to help? I would like to move to somewhere like Canada/Australia/New Zealand... honestly, Western Europe... any developed region of the world.

People will probably call you crazy in these forums, but it's totally understandable. Sometimes happiness matters more.

Check your country's local embassy website. For my country, per example, the government has a website with loads of tips on people moving back. Things like taxes, jobs, documents to make sure you have ready before/after you arrive at your home country, etc. It's good to check these things.

Before leaving here, also make sure your taxes are done for the year you leave and get a "Sailing Permit" from the IRS. Make sure all your wages are accounted for on the IRS website, as this can probably count for your birth country's retirement program.

You have two big advantages: You know at least two languages and you will have a Master's in Engineering done in the US. I think, regardless of the type, these might be big advantages for you.

Choose a country that welcomes immigrants or where you are able to get a work permit based on your qualificaitons. New Zealand/Canada/Australia as you might know all have immigrant-friendly laws.

Hope that helps a bit and don't be ashamed to leave. There are opportunities mostly everywhere for those that are positive about it.

1Up 03-21-2017 09:36 PM

Thanks for the vote of confidence!

I am hoping to skip having to go to my "home" country since I've never been there before and I'm kind of scared of the place.

I'm going to look extensively at those three countries and see where I can likely end up.

chessmaster05 03-21-2017 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohannBernoulli1667 (Post 609917)
You are in good shape

I hear Australia is a good option. Also with you qualifications I am confident you should be able to find a job back home and save for a while before going somewhere else.

I would wait a few more years, life with DACA is not terrible.

I am from a similar background. I have a B.S in mechanical and a master's in mechanical and currently going for my master's in C.S

I feel leaving now is a bad idea. If you want a reset, move somewhere new within the states.

DACA life is not bad until USCIS doesn't renew your permit on time and you get terminated and have to dipped into savings for survival. This happened to me. I was terminated and unemployed for 1.5 months. Luckily my employer waited for me. However, 6 months is really a push. So i understand the OP.

JohannBernoulli1667 03-21-2017 10:12 PM

I know I know, I was also nervous around renewal. It is just something we have to live with for now. The experience gained is not lost. Engineering is flexible, start a small business for when shit hits the fan. That is what I am looking into.