DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   Other Topics (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Moving out of your parents' (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=25888)

ecnys 01-01-2012 12:32 PM

Moving out of your parents'

When did you guys do it and how was the experience? I just turned 23 and I'm about to hit the road

Dres2011 01-01-2012 01:44 PM

Re: Moving out of your parents'

I hear its amazing to live on your own.

MIdreamer 01-01-2012 06:47 PM

Living with our parents is part of my culture. It is normal for us.

Dreamer X 01-02-2012 05:57 AM

I have a friend that's also undocumented. He has his own place. I told him I was he has no idea how proud I am of him.

oscarg 01-02-2012 02:06 PM

This question is ambiguous. I answered on my own because I live in a house that isn't my parents' house...however, I depend on them financially 100%.

QuePasa87 01-02-2012 04:20 PM

This answer mixes with the dating thread:

I wish I made more money to have my own respectable place. No one I think I would be interested in wants to date someone without much education, still lives at home, and doesn't get paid much above minimum wage. And I don't want to settle for someone with papers that has only achieved as much as I have. I want to end up with someone that has taken advantage of what having papers allows one to do. It's not my fault I don't have papers so I don't feel I have to settle for someone at my level because they didn't want to achieve more. Of course, things working out in my favor has a very slim chance of success but whatever I'll just let what happens happen I guess...

uc_ag 01-02-2012 06:55 PM

I was on my own for 6 yrs. Due to some personal complications, I moved back with my parents about 6 mo. ago. I plan to move out again soon.

Dazany4002 01-03-2012 08:39 AM

Moved back with my mother at 18 and out again at 20. Back at mid 21 and been out since the month I turned 24. Turned 26 last month. If you have a good relationship with your parents, then it isn't all that... it can be very stressful, but an esteem booster for sure. You'll probably be working a lot in order to pay for your rent and bills. No parents to cook for you, help you with laundry, buy your groceries or help run your errands, which is fine, but may not be if you plan on being a full time student.
If you have a bad relationship with your parents, then it's probably amazing like Dres says.

carnivore 01-04-2012 01:11 AM

Still live with my mom. If I was legal and I could work, I'd move out soon. But until then, it's her fault and it's her responsibility to take care of me.

Dazany4002 01-04-2012 05:55 AM

^ It's ok to live with your mom... No need to make sh*t up out of the blue in order to justify one's own lack of determination or inability to step out of a safety net to handle additional challenges to the ones we're already faced with... Just sayin'.

Reading about Dreamers who sit around indoors all day like they're allergic to the sun with a grudge against their parents has been old...