DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Alternative to the dream act? (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=72266)

FlyinAgainstTheWind 08-27-2015 03:06 AM

Alternative to the dream act?

The dream act required 5 years of conditional residency before a dreamer could apply for LPR status. Most of us will have 3 years down by the end of this year. Any bill proposals that would allow daca recipients that earned LPR status? Would people go for it over CIR or DREAM?

Demise 08-27-2015 05:25 AM

Re: Alternative to the dream act?

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyinAgainstTheWind (Post 561076)
The dream act required 5 years of conditional residency before a dreamer could apply for LPR status. Most of us will have 3 years down by the end of this year. Any bill proposals that would allow daca recipients that earned LPR status? Would people go for it over CIR or DREAM?

Republicans control both houses, I don't know if Durbin even bothered re-introducing the Dream Act this session.

Basically, no alternative, not until democrats win.

People always go what's best for them. If CIR 2013 were to pass then, we'd all go for the Dream Act provision because it's the better deal (5 years in TLR status, file for adjustment, get green card, immediately naturalize) as opposed to however many years the general path required (I think 10 for LPR and then 5 more for citizenship).

IamAman 08-27-2015 12:01 PM

The original Dream Act died a long and painful death. CIR never happened. Now you want to know if an even more favorable Dream Act should be introduced? Right now you couldn't pass anything that doesn't end in deportation.

dreamact9090 08-27-2015 08:55 PM

what a sad reality that we face... not my fault but it's me that is suffering.

FlyinAgainstTheWind 08-27-2015 11:12 PM

Well, based on what Demise is saying. It really would not be a more favorable bill. I mean is not TLR. All we have is work permits. But if you were approved for DACA and have done what you are supposed to do. Work and stay out of trouble. Then why not allow us the chance to earn residency this way. 5 years of DACA 2 years of LPR and then we can adjust. DREAM is 5 years of TLR then adjust to LPR and naturalize right away.

Demise 08-28-2015 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyinAgainstTheWind (Post 561117)
Well, based on what Demise is saying. It really would not be a more favorable bill. I mean is not TLR. All we have is work permits. But if you were approved for DACA and have done what you are supposed to do. Work and stay out of trouble. Then why not allow us the chance to earn residency this way. 5 years of DACA 2 years of LPR and then we can adjust. DREAM is 5 years of TLR then adjust to LPR and naturalize right away.

Because republicans are fucking cunts, that is really the only reason.

Lost Generation 08-28-2015 08:50 PM

I joined the military with DACA for citizenship.

FlyinAgainstTheWind 08-28-2015 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demise (Post 561118)
Because republicans are fucking cunts, that is really the only reason.

I know they are cunts but I think we always lobby the same group of people. I think we need to really work business minded republicans this time around. I mean DREAM had a good shot under GWB. He was not really anti immigrant.

semaj 08-29-2015 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lost Generation (Post 561141)

Wtf? How? Tell me! I'll enlist tomorrow lol

semaj 08-29-2015 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lost Generation (Post 561141)

I'm guessing MAVNI? Are you a medical professional or what language do you speak? I just looked at their program. Too bad Spanish isn't on there. I'd be willing to learn one of the languages on there but it says that you have to be proficient in your native language. Is this strictly enforced? If I'm Mexican but learn Korean, do you think I would be able to join?

Also, I chose the wrong major. Fuuuuck, I could have been a citizen. Anyway, congrats, dude. That's so awesome