DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   My fellow dreamers (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=10653)

loquito23 05-01-2009 08:54 PM

My fellow dreamers

Hello, I'm new to this forum and would like to thank you for this forum. it has helped me alot. I'm more informed about the dream act. Do you guys seriously think its going to pass? Sometimes i feel discouraged and just want to give up. I'm 16 yrs old. turning 17 next month. Currently a junior. I hope the DA passes by the end of the year. I really want to be legal by the time i start applying to colleges next year, or at least have something in process. It sucks because in my state they dont allow undocumented students to get in-state tuition. So i have to pay out of state tuition which is incredibly high. ugh, i dont even want to think about it. I've lived in the country for almost 7 yrs and i call it my home since i barely remember my hometown. It's incredible how someone who comes to this country gets used to this life easily but if we were to go back to our countries we would probably never get used to that life overthere. How long have you guys lived here? Can you guys speak spanish? I would like to hear your stories.

ehfornue 05-01-2009 09:04 PM

Re: My fellow dreamers

I've lived in this country 17 years, was brought as a child at the age of 6, and clearly understand, speak, and write the languages of Spanish and English. This one pet peeve that I have, when undocumented students claim not to know the language their parents speak, just gets on my nerves.

I pity those being ashamed of their native language.

Naty_1995 05-01-2009 10:33 PM

Lived here 12 years and brought here at the age of two! My parents were working 24/7 so they couldn't help with spanish....I taught myself learned how to read spanish at the age of 2. I now read, write, and speak both languages.

I have been offered a scholarship at James Madison In VA but i can't use it yet

bobinalbuquerque 05-01-2009 10:59 PM

I will be delighted if the DA succeeds. However, please take note that there are thousands of other children/young adults that also meet the criteria as listed except for one thing.....they are not "undocumented".
My son is one, 18 years old with the last 16 of them here in Albuquerque,now in his first year at the University of New Mexico he will age out at 21 on his E2 visa status.There are over a 100,000 foreign owned E2 small businesses in the U.S. with perhaps a million U.S.employees.There is no escape route or pathway for an E2 visa holder from its "non-immigrant" status.Be assured although we abide here legally we do share so many of the very same frustrations and issues that afflict a foreigner.

fern.pop 05-02-2009 12:00 AM

10 years, from Brazil.
Moved many times.
Applying for college next year. Shooting high, even considering an Ivy League.
It worries me how my parents will be able to afford anything at all, without the federal loans. I'm sure we can apply for scholarships no?
I'm nervous just as you are. But you should hope and be optimistic. Congress has so much things to deal with and President Obama this recession, etc.
We just need to make them more aware of the consequences we're going through. I thought American was the land of the free, land of oppurtunities... It's our home. Yet, it isn't until we get our rights, don't you agree?

(P.S. Speak Portuguese, English, French, Italian, and broken Spanish-learned when 8-9 while residing in Miami)