DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   MAVNI's Open (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=70412)

Demise 01-27-2015 01:58 PM

MAVNI's Open

Unfortunately I don't have an article for you, for this reason I am posting this in the lounge and not in the news room. It all just kinda fell through the cracks with no one reporting and the military not putting anything public out either.

I was called by a recruiter today due to the fact that I inquired about it back in September. She said that the program was re-opened about 3 weeks ago.

They do take DACAers, though obviously all requirements do apply (ex. two years in status, high school, good moral standing, etc).
Reserves are already filled (they went in the first week, if you want to do that, then you'll need to wait until October 1st for the next FY).
Chinese is already filled. Korean and Hindi are most likely going to go soon.

If you want to enlist then I recommend checking out with a recruiter.

Malign0n 01-27-2015 02:08 PM

Re: MAVNI's Open

That's good news for those who qualify. It's especially exciting that Dreamers are finally allowed. I hope those who do qualify take advantage of this opportunity.

Demise 01-27-2015 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malign0n (Post 551678)
That's good news for those who qualify. It's especially exciting that Dreamers are finally allowed. I hope those who do qualify take advantage of this opportunity.

Personally I am extremely on the fence about it. It's 5 years of active service (MAVNI says 4, but in reality everyone signs up for 6, 5 in active, and 1 in reserves). Might get shipped to Iraq due to speaking a language of one of allies. Don't want to be separated from my girlfriend.

Pretty heavy form of cost-benefit analysis.

Laterlater 01-28-2015 09:57 PM

Spoke with recruiter today for details. Believe it's regionally quoted.
This is in GA.

Chinese was first to go, with Korean quickly taking second.

Reserves was still available for Korean and Hindi.

Demise 01-29-2015 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laterlater (Post 551742)
Spoke with recruiter today for details. Believe it's regionally quoted.
This is in GA.

Chinese was first to go, with Korean quickly taking second.

Reserves was still available for Korean and Hindi.

Yeah reserves may be regional since they can't really move you around much in reserves. You're a bit of an inactive asset. I'm seeing a recruiter at 10 am today. I'll definitely ask a bit more into them.

Either way, I can't enlist until March, and definitely won't before June when I'll have my BA. Other than that, still not sure. I'd still definitely prefer to get documents via a civilian way. I mean hell, it's 5 years. I go in there today, I come out then I'm 27.

Pianoswithoutfaith 01-29-2015 02:14 PM

I wonder if its really worth it.. I guess youd really want to get into the military aside from getting your status changed after it

isual 01-30-2015 01:46 AM

Tagalog shouldn't be out of the question..

Demise 01-30-2015 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by isual (Post 551812)
Tagalog shouldn't be out of the question..

Tagalog is accepted. Not sure how popular it is.

KingGeorge 01-31-2015 06:54 PM

am eligible, my language is on there, but nah I don't think this is the route I wanna go.
so I'll PASS. Thanks tho

AlaskanImmigrant 02-01-2015 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demise (Post 551679)
It's 5 years of active service (MAVNI says 4, but in reality everyone signs up for 6, 5 in active, and 1 in reserves).

Read the fine print. It's eight (8) years of service. By law, everyone who joins the military these days signs up for eight years total, although four years of it might be "inactive reserve" service if you sign up for four years of active duty (the minimum required for MAVNI). MAVNI also requires that you pass a Single Scope Background Investigation after you enlist, or your enlistment contract will be summarily cancelled. Make sure you have looked at the SF86 form carefully before you enlist, to see if you can pass the SSBI.