DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The News Room (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   For Democrats, a tough choice on DACA (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=79604)

jaylove16 12-12-2017 07:39 AM

For Democrats, a tough choice on DACA

Quote:

With just two weeks until Congress is expected to leave town, the fate of roughly 700,000 young immigrants still hangs in the balance.

And, it could be up to Senate Democrats now to decide whether they will make protections for the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program recipients a condition of their support for a must-pass spending bill or punt the issue to next year when they still have months to work it out.

Most Democrats in the Senate say they are optimistic that an immigration bill will be passed by the end of the year or close to it and that they'll never be forced to decide between funding the government or giving certainty to DACA recipients. But, with fewer than two weeks until Congress faces its spending deadline and no real, concrete compromise on DACA at this point, it's unclear how Democrats will proceed if they are faced with no solutions for young immigrants.

"There's still some negotiations going on between some Democrats and some Republicans about how to get this done," said Sen. Jeanne Shaheen, a Democrat from New Hampshire. "I'm hopeful that will produce a positive outcome."

Still, at least one Senate Democratic aide on Monday remained optimistic, saying back room talks were making more progress than public posturing might indicate.

Sen. Patrick Leahy, who has been working on a DACA deal, said he wouldn't negotiate publicly about what Democrats will do if a deal isn't reached by the end of the year, but that his group continues to work.

"It should have been done five months ago," the Vermont Democrat said

Republicans -- who do support a fix to DACA -- say that it's still an open question whether a deal will come together by the holiday, but that no matter what, they hope to see Republicans and Democrats come together to keep the government funded.

"I support marrying up DACA reform to border security and a break in chain migration on the spending bill," said Sen. Lindsey Graham, a Republican from South Carolina. "I support that. I'm not going to shut down the government over it."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn...lan/index.html

Good read !

Adrian2145 12-12-2017 08:01 AM

Re: For Democrats, a tough choice on DACA

nothings going to happen, there is no momentum and no plan to fix daca anytime soon only talk.

Adrian2145 12-12-2017 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adrian2145 (Post 659380)
nothings going to happen, there is no momentum and no plan to fix daca anytime soon only talk.

I’m hopeful something will happen but I’m keeping my feet on the ground.

VeryNicePerson1 12-12-2017 08:15 AM

Lol if Democrats are having a hard time in negotiations, making this a tough choice, then a "DACA fix" isn't happening.

Smooth 12-12-2017 08:39 AM

I say there will be a fix before the end of the year.

Chn 12-12-2017 08:45 AM

Why does it seem that literally everyone is Congress is negotiating behind the scenes and we're still not getting anywhere.

I'm hopeful, but Congress is just ridiculous.

Smooth 12-12-2017 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chn (Post 659385)
Why does it seem that literally everyone is Congress is negotiating behind the scenes and we're still not getting anywhere.

I'm hopeful, but Congress is just ridiculous.

As bad as this sounds in a Democracy that preaches transparency and accountability, congressional leaders are being low key and not disclosing everything because doing so could harm the momentum.

I tell you this because my contacts in D.C. are even careful about what they post on their social media after all the meetings with legislators.

jaylove16 12-12-2017 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adrian2145 (Post 659380)

Pack your bags and go home.

Smooth 12-12-2017 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adrian2145 (Post 659381)
I’m hopeful something will happen but I’m keeping my feet on the ground.

Bro,

You cannot possibly be this negative. There is momentum, and there is actually a chance of things getting done.

hopeful_in_nyc 12-12-2017 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smooth (Post 659388)
Bro,

You cannot possibly be this negative. There is momentum, and there is actually a chance of things getting done.

I think it’s positive that it’s behind the scenes, without media involvement and he said he said articles that drive us crazy. I am so hopeful!