DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   school work permit? (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=15239)

iDreamAct 06-04-2010 08:27 PM

school work permit?

I'm 16.
My school says that in order to get a job I need to get a permit from the administration building. They ask for a SS. And employers ask for the permit when hiring you.

I'm illegal, so are my parents.

What can I do?

justchecking69 06-04-2010 08:37 PM

Re: school work permit?

My friend in college was a foreign student on a visa. There were positions in school that kids with no SS # could apply. My friend worked as a cashier, stocker etc on a part time basis while he was still on a student visa.

Jefe 06-04-2010 09:00 PM

if the place hiring you does not already know about your situation then just forget about it.

xav1er07 06-05-2010 03:05 AM

bro....lol.....your young im glad your going to learn this at a young age cuz when i was young i didn't know jack......listin bro....your not going to get a job through your school unless you have a social security number or a work permit.......seeing that you dont have neither....this is what you should do this is what we all do or most of us in this site do......we go out and look for a job at a small business a restaurant ect....and hope they don't ask for a ss and are willing to pay cash.....just go look around a whole city and where you find a small business that says help wanted take your ass in there and ask for a job.....best of luck...kid.....

countryless1 06-05-2010 12:55 PM

ok, idk if it works without a SS# snce I had one. However, I still needed authorization to work (EAD), and all I did was get the permit from school and they accept it without the government authorization when I was 16. You can still try and fill it out I suppose, I mean it worth a try. Worst case is they tell you no and to get the hell out.

I do know this, community colleges hire students without SS#, so you can wait till you graduate HS and try that in another two years. Other than those two options, the dude that commented before me is right, although phrased it terribly, look for small "mom and pop" shops and ask them up front if they are willing to pay cash, no tax.

gebodupa 06-05-2010 01:29 PM

I don't think that is what he is talking about. In some states (NY for one), under state law, if you are younger than 18 you need a so called "work permit". You get it from your MS/HS and can get it as early as 14. You fill out an application and there is a spot for a SS# but it's yours to fill out. The most important part of the "work permit" is that you need to get a physical beforehand so employers do not have to worry about your health. I got one without an SS# back in the day, and my employer looked at it, saw that there were no medical conditions put it in a file, and there were no other problems. Also, he has to give it back whenever you leave your job.

Quote:

if the place hiring you does not already know about your situation then just forget about it.
If you are telling every place that is hiring you that you are undocumented, good luck finding any decent job.

xav1er07 06-06-2010 12:28 AM

are you guys serious man here in california you and ask for a work permit even if you underage you need a social well guess is where you live.....i tried it out in my school when i was younger and they ask me for a social......but that was like 2005 i believe.....nope 2004......

Dazany4002 06-07-2010 06:34 PM

Back when I was 17, my friend and I both payed for non-legit SS cards. I was working at Micky D's for about a year, and then my boss told me of a letter she received, stating that my name and number didn't match. She asked me if I was one of those who can't work. I got scared, hesitated a bit, and then told her I was. She smiled, looked kinda sad, and we moved on, without me getting fired.

FutureU.S.Marine 06-07-2010 07:31 PM

also you can try small car dealerships... thats what i did for about a year, just washed cars and did somethings on the computer for them and they were cool about it, payed me cash. preferably try the ones owned by latinos.

conte 06-08-2010 03:04 AM