DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The News Room (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Paul Ryan May Delay Long-Term Spending Bill (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=79258)

Copper 11-14-2017 11:38 PM

Paul Ryan May Delay Long-Term Spending Bill

Looks like this rollercoaster might extend for a couple more weeks after deadline and some Democrats will probably be on board with it.

Quote:

Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) on Tuesday said Republicans may need a short-term spending bill to prevent a government shutdown on Dec 9.

Ryan said the House GOP's goal was to pass a long-term spending bill by the end of the year, but suggested lawmakers may not be able to do so by a Dec. 8 deadline.

"We're not talking about going into next year, we're talking about getting it done this year," Ryan said at a press conference on Tuesday.

"We might need a little more time to let the appropriators write their bill," he added.

The government will shut down on Dec. 9 without a new spending measure.

Other Republicans have suggested a stopgap measure will probably be needed to buy more time to negotiate a longer-term deal.

With tax reform taking the bulk of the Congress's attention, efforts to hammer out a spending deal with Democrats have moved slowly.

Republicans will need the support of at least eight Democrats in the Senate to approve either a spending bill or a short-term extension. For Democrats, the spending battle is one of a few leverage points to advance their priorities, such as passing an immigration fix for immigrants who were brought into the country illegally as young children.

Republicans need Democratic support to postpone the deadline as well, meaning Democrats could make demands and threaten a shutdown over the short-term extension.

Democrats, however, seem unlikely to force a fight on a short-term spending measure if they feel there is progress toward a larger deal a few weeks later.

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) said in a recent press conference that she opposed a longer-term continuing resolution, but wouldn't rule out a brief extension.

"Sometimes there's another week tacked on just to do the legislation, that's a different story," she said.

Even with a few extra weeks, Congress will have a lot on its plate.

Republicans want to pass a final version of their tax-reform bill before Christmas, putting the self-imposed tax deadline around the same time as the new spending deadline.
http://thehill.com/policy/finance/36...nding-deadline

DogJuiceMan 11-14-2017 11:43 PM

Re: Paul Ryan May Delay Long-Term Spending Bill

This could turn out favourably for us.

jaylove16 11-15-2017 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Copper (Post 652743)
Looks like this rollercoaster might extend till next year and some Democrats will probably be on board with it.

http://thehill.com/policy/finance/36...nding-deadline

How did you come to this conclusion from this article? I seriously think I need to brush up on my reading comprehension. It doesn’t say anything about democrats or even Ryan suggesting the spending bill be pushed into next year .

Ryan said the House GOP's goal was to pass a long-term spending bill by the end of the year, but suggested lawmakers may not be able to do so by a Dec. 8 deadline.

“We’re not talking about going into next year, we’re talking about getting it done this year,” Ryan said at a press conference on Tuesday.

I’ll wait for your response.

ceaguila 11-15-2017 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaylove16 (Post 652748)
How did you come to this conclusion from this article? I seriously think I need to brush up on my reading comprehension. It doesn’t say anything about democrats or even Ryan suggesting the spending bill be pushed into next year .

“We’re not talking about going into next year, we’re talking about getting it done this year,” Ryan said at a press conference on Tuesday.

Yup, from another article they're thinking of moving it to around December 22nd, just in time for Xmas. How nice heh? lol

Copper 11-15-2017 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaylove16 (Post 652748)

I misread I thought they were pushing it towards the beginning of next year. Relax, breathe. Lol!

vft1008 11-15-2017 01:29 AM

You should modify the first line of your first post to avoid confusion.

eva02 11-15-2017 02:13 AM

Pelosi said that they would only agree to extend it a week or two for appropriation legislation to be written. They won’t agree to anything past December. Republicans are delaying the inevitable.

Got_Daca 11-15-2017 06:46 AM

What is the point of extending it only for couple of days?

dreamer12345 11-15-2017 07:40 AM

Seems like Republicans are looking for a way to screw Democrats out of a deal. I don't quite get their end game yet.

Got_Daca 11-15-2017 08:32 AM

Attach DA to continuation bill