DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Chase Bank no longer opens accounts for Non-US Citizens without passports (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=73448)

Moizy 04-27-2016 08:54 AM

Chase Bank no longer opens accounts for Non-US Citizens without passports

Learned this yesterday as I went to go open a Chase bank account. I normally have my drivers license which is normally fine to open bank accounts along with a secondary form ofid such as a debit card or credit card. The store manager requested that since I am not a citizen, I need to provide a green card or a valid passport.

Since I got DACA, I don't worry about my passport much so this came as a shock. And I'm an existing Chase client lol.

Sorrybrah 04-27-2016 11:34 AM

Re: Chase Bank no longer opens accounts for Non-US Citizens without passports

I thought that was the normal operating procedure, two valid form of ID's to establish identity. That's why I always keep my passport up to date.

Moizy 04-27-2016 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorrybrah (Post 566971)
I thought that was the normal operating procedure, two valid form of ID's to establish identity. That's why I always keep my passport up to date.

A license is a valid government issued photo id. Chase is requiring a foreign issued one. I can open an account anywhere else with my license. The MVC has 6 points of id in place for gods sake...if a state id doesn't fulfill the requirement of an id that needed 6 points to obtain then wtf?

dude33 04-27-2016 06:39 PM

Chase really is the worst , you need ID to deposit money or pay a credit card . Tried depositing money in my dad's account and they made it seem like I was trying to get in the white house

ECL23 04-27-2016 06:53 PM

If they're making it hard for you to open an account... I would go somewhere else that will accept you. There's plenty of banks out there!

yonah 04-30-2016 10:33 AM

Bank of America has got to be the most pro-undocumented bank out there. They even have letters specifically written for uscis in case bank information is required.
They may be pricey, but they're really convenient in MANY ways.

kyungwc 04-30-2016 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moizy (Post 566970)
Learned this yesterday as I went to go open a Chase bank account. I normally have my drivers license which is normally fine to open bank accounts along with a secondary form ofid such as a debit card or credit card. The store manager requested that since I am not a citizen, I need to provide a green card or a valid passport.

Since I got DACA, I don't worry about my passport much so this came as a shock. And I'm an existing Chase client lol.

They didn't ask about my citizenship. I just gave them my license and passport.

make sure to take advantage of the $300 bonus!

Pianoswithoutfaith 04-30-2016 07:29 PM

Can't the EAD be use ? I have a credit card with them well two and they didn't ask me for this

freshh. 04-30-2016 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yonah (Post 567050)
Bank of America has got to be the most pro-undocumented bank out there. They even have letters specifically written for uscis in case bank information is required.
They may be pricey, but they're really convenient in MANY ways.

I agree. I've had an account with them since I was 13 years old and my mother has been a customer just as long.

Either way, I can see how inconvenient this may be for you OP. The only option you have now is to take your business elsewhere. At least the trouble they've caused you may save even one other person a similar
headache.

K-Man 04-30-2016 08:31 PM

My guess is just a branch specific / rep issue. They're human beings and some are there to help you out, while others would probably scrutinize as much as they can, just because.

I opened a Chase checking couple of months ago to have as a secondary, all they wanted was my DL, and existing Chase credit card which I had, I didn't fill out anything or get asked on citizenship status, the banker had me sign couple of places and took care of it.

Moizy 05-02-2016 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kyungwc (Post 567062)
They didn't ask about my citizenship. I just gave them my license and passport.

make sure to take advantage of the $300 bonus!

That's what I went in for! But my passport isn't renewed and it takes so fricking long at the consulate here! By the time I get it the promotion will be gone! 😢

kyungwc 05-03-2016 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moizy (Post 567095)
That's what I went in for! But my passport isn't renewed and it takes so fricking long at the consulate here! By the time I get it the promotion will be gone! 😢

Let me know if you need a new coupon.

I opened up mine using my home address using the coupon they mailed out to me, but I keep getting coupons at my PO BOX.
I'll be happy to provide you with the code or mail it out to you :)
(or you can just buy them on ebay for a couple of dollars)

Chyno 05-19-2016 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianoswithoutfaith (Post 567063)
Can't the EAD be use ? I have a credit card with them well two and they didn't ask me for this

Do you know the difference of a bank account and a CC?

Pianoswithoutfaith 05-19-2016 08:16 PM

Which is funny because I thought I did yet wellfargos wants a freaking gc to open a credit card with them

Chyno 05-19-2016 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianoswithoutfaith (Post 567917)
Which is funny because I thought I did yet wellfargos wants a freaking gc to open a credit card with them

Do you do it online? I think i know what the issue.

Are you able to verify your identity/SSN when they ask you the questions?

fl_dreamer 05-19-2016 10:19 PM

I recently opened a bank account with Chase - got $500 - $300 for checking and $200 for savings. Didn't ask for shit except my DL.

EdoIsa 05-20-2016 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fl_dreamer (Post 567926)
I recently opened a bank account with Chase - got $500 - $300 for checking and $200 for savings. Didn't ask for shit except my DL.

Same. Judging by your username, you're from Florida, and I'm from Cali. Both our states are immigrant friendly so it could be a state issue.

IamAman 07-08-2019 10:39 AM

Stay away from Chase if you don't have a passport. Even if you have an account, close it. If you go in for any account maintenance, they will ask you for your status. If you say anything other than a citizen, they will ask for a passport. If you say citizen, well, you're in a world of hurt and you can't change it without having a passport.

tabi 07-08-2019 03:01 PM

I'd say if you're looking to open at chase do it because I did and I have never had any problems. They only asked for id(showed California) and ss. They accepted both.

IamAman 07-08-2019 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tabi (Post 738751)
I'd say if you're looking to open at chase do it because I did and I have never had any problems. They only asked for id(showed California) and ss. They accepted both.

That's not the case anymore, at least not everywhere. Even for existing accounts when you go in and they update your info, they'll ask for a passport if you don't have a green card. I am dealing with some major shit right now that I can't get into.

Ianus 07-09-2019 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moizy (Post 566970)
The store manager requested that since I am not a citizen, I need to provide a green card or a valid passport.

Branch manager is the issue....

Chase is not the issue. Would have been best to open online and this be a non issue.

IamAman 07-09-2019 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ianus (Post 738794)
Branch manager is the issue....

Chase is not the issue. Would have been best to open online and this be a non issue.

Chase IS the issue. That's their policy. If you have DACA, MAYBE you can convince them that your EAD is as good of an ID, etc.

Speaking of online, if you're from one of the countries that the US has sanctions against, as soon as you pick it, it tells you to go in person because they have to make you sign extra things and show proof that you're a US person, to ensure the money you're putting in the bank was not brought from the old country. This is even for Green Card holders and dual citizens.

Pianoswithoutfaith 07-09-2019 04:16 PM

I have an online credit account with chase that I’ve neber had a problem with

JJ Glo 07-09-2019 04:35 PM

I went in recently to take advantage of their $300 offer for opening up a checking account and can confirm that they require a passport. The funny thing is that they also accept a matricula consular, which is a mexican document but not an EAD, a U.S document.

tabi 07-10-2019 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IamAman (Post 738753)
That's not the case anymore, at least not everywhere. Even for existing accounts when you go in and they update your info, they'll ask for a passport if you don't have a green card. I am dealing with some major shit right now that I can't get into.

I haven't had any issues. They keep renewing my stuff so if they have an issue they haven't raised it. Isue Seems to be more on your specific case.

IamAman 07-10-2019 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJ Glo (Post 738825)
I went in recently to take advantage of their $300 offer for opening up a checking account and can confirm that they require a passport. The funny thing is that they also accept a matricula consular, which is a mexican document but not an EAD, a U.S document.

Yeah that part is a head scratcher as to why they don't accept an EAD or a Driver's license even, both of which are US documents. If I had to guess, I would say that they like some immigrant business but don't want to deal too much with totally undocumented people from countries that may force them to keep up with extra regulation. Like a North Korean without a passport for instance might be more trouble for them than a Mexican who are the largest group without any official issues between the countries.

I don't know...or maybe the Matricula card is essentially a passport issued by Mexico exclusively for their Amigos living in the US.

DreamerAngel 07-22-2019 04:15 PM

I think it’s hilarious that they gave me thousands of dollars worth of credit on a card without a passport but refuse to accept my money to open a bank account. Like,it’s a bank account. It was amusing to me and eventhough I have a pssport I passed cuz the policy is stupid to me.. I have several accounts elsewhere so it’s fine, I just went in for the promo.

unrealunknown92 07-22-2019 06:02 PM

Can EWIs acquire passports while living in the US?

JJ Glo 07-22-2019 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unrealunknown92 (Post 739214)

I dont see why not, you do that at your country's consulate. Look up the requirements on their website.

Malign0n 07-22-2019 08:43 PM

Quote:

You can if you have the required documents. Check your country's consulate/embassy what documents they require to issue a passport. Usually these documents are expired passport, a birth certificate, etc.

IamAman 07-23-2019 01:22 PM

Quote:

If your home country gives a shit about you then yeah. Mine doesn't unless I have legal status.

DreamerAngel 08-09-2019 10:54 AM

Did those of you who opened an account end up getting the $300 from the promo? Just wondering if our non-citizens accounts will still qualify. That’s the only reason I want a chase account. They just sent me another offer today lol

DogJuiceMan 08-11-2019 04:54 PM

Chase got caught moving that comlombian blow in a rookie mistake. Should've hired Carnivore to move your products and services.

He claims to have a 100% sucess rate moving colombian blow. His secret: fishing boat, put it under the fishes.

Pianoswithoutfaith 02-08-2021 02:46 PM

2021 cab confirmed nothing has change. They require a passport still

hDreamer1988 02-08-2021 04:38 PM

It depends on where. When i tried to open a safety deposit box (i have a checking acct + 2 credit cards), they wanted my ssn, dl, and expiration date. I was not sure why they needed that so i left it as and went to wells fargo.

IamAman 02-13-2021 10:58 AM

lol since 2019, every time I drive by Chase I mutter "Fuck you Chase" under my breath.

eboansi 06-21-2021 06:17 PM

If you open up the account online you will have less issues. You don't need to go to the physical branch.