DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The News Room (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   OP-Can the Koch Network and Jared Kushner Come Up with a Big Immigration Reform Deal? (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=83289)

justjohnjustice1988 01-26-2019 09:13 PM

OP-Can the Koch Network and Jared Kushner Come Up with a Big Immigration Reform Deal?

Indian Wells, California — This morning, the Koch Seminar Network – more often referred to as “the Koch network” or “the shadowy Koch brothers” by gravely-voiced attack ad announcers – kick off their three-day winter meeting with the government at least temporarily reopened but the landscape in Washington deeply unsettled.

Thursday, Daniel Garza, the president of one of the Koch network’s affiliate groups called the Libre Initiative, met at the White House with officials in the administration to discuss a larger deal on immigration reform. Libre Institute president Daniel Garza told HillTv hosts the meeting, which included leaders of other Latino groups, was “very constructive, productive. We felt Jared [Kushner] was an honest broker.”

Kushner has proven the network’s most valuable negotiating partner in the White House, playing a key role in the criminal justice reform legislation passed late last year. Ideas in that legislation, particularly anti-recidivism programs in federal prisoners, were the centerpiece of last year’s winter meeting.

But two of the open questions as the Koch donors gather at the luxury resort outside Palm Springs are just how much can get done in Washington with divided government and the jockeying for position in 2020 starting already, and just what kind of a deal President Trump is willing to accept. Last year Brian Hooks, president of the Charles Koch Foundation and Charles Koch Institute, applauded the administration’s proposal of “legal certainty” for Dreamers, and indicated the network hoped the administration could go a step further for the Dreamers: “A path to citizenship is enormous incentive to continue to contribute to this country.” This year, the network is expected to push for a permanent solution to the Dreamers’s current legal status.

Politics makes strange bedfellows; this will put the Koch network on the same side as many Democratic lawmakers who have decried their allegedly sinister influence for many years. Earlier this month, Congressional Democrats rejected the administration’s offer of three years of legislative relief for about 700,000 Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program recipients in exchange for $5.7 billion in steel barriers. Democrats appear unwilling to accept a temporary reprieve for the Dreamers in exchange for a permanent structure on the border.

Immigration is certain to come up at some point during the winter meeting, but the main focus in the coming days will be the theme “unleash the potential in everyone,” with an emphasis on programs, organizations and legislative proposals that address problems such as chronic unemployment, drugs and addiction, and poverty.

The Koch network boasts, with some strong evidence, that it has become one of the most consequential forces in American politics, with what it calls a “permanent grassroots infrastructure in 36 states.” Besides the Libre Initiative, the network includes the most visible arm, Americans for Prosperity; Generation Opportunity, which focuses on Millennials; Concerned Veterans for America, which addresses veterans’ issues; and Stand Together, which endeavors to build social capital.

But 2018 was a rough year for some of the network’s favorite political allies. Governor Scott Walker lost in Wisconsin, and Nevada attorney general Adam Laxalt failed in his bid for governor. Five of Americans for Prosperity’s eight “policy champions” in the U.S. House of Representatives lost in 2018. But the Koch Industries Political Action Committee donated to most of the winning 2018 GOP candidates — Governors Ron DeSantis of Florida, Doug Ducey of Arizona, Kim Reynolds of Iowa, Mike DeWine of Ohio and Greg Abbott of Texas, as well as senators Rick Scott of Florida, Mike Braun of Indiana, Josh Hawley of Missouri, Kevin Cramer of North Dakota (despite the network saying they would not support his heavily-favored Senate bid because he was backing the administration’s tariffs) and Ted Cruz of Texas.

Another lawmaker who has addressed the winter meeting in past years, Kentucky governor Matt Bevin, is up for reelection this year and he appears to be in for a tough fight.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nat...form-deal/amp/

Demise 01-26-2019 09:18 PM

Re: OP-Can the Koch Network and Jared Kushner Come Up with a Big Immigration Reform D

Betteridge's law of headlines is an adage that states: "Any headline that ends in a question mark can be answered by the word no."

2MoreYears 01-26-2019 09:25 PM

Re: OP-Can the Koch Network and Jared Kushner Come Up with a Big Immigration Reform D

No permanent solution to DACA and as ironic as it sounds no Demise for me either. I think I'm that deer.

Pianoswithoutfaith 01-26-2019 09:30 PM

Why is this even on the news section? Opinions should go on the other section

ExMachina 01-26-2019 09:54 PM

Drumpf mocked Jared for his efforts saying "he became an immigration expert in the last 48 hours" which leads me to believe he'd never consider it.

Miller will just intervene again if he even entertains the thought.

2Face 01-26-2019 09:59 PM

They are definitely going for the "GO BIG" option. Trump has nothing to worry about. All the radicals like Ann Coulter are already out ridiculing him so he might as well trash them all and work with Democrats to work out a real deal!

2Face 01-26-2019 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ExMachina (Post 730928)
Drumpf mocked Jared for his efforts saying "he became an immigration expert in the last 48 hours" which leads me to believe he'd never consider it.

Miller will just intervene again if he even entertains the thought.

That was a light hearted joke. Kushner has a lot of power. He is Trump's daughters husband. There is no way anyone is coming in between them. Kushner is the reason why these negotiations are going on. Javanka = VERY good for us. That's why the radical right hate them so much.

libertarian1776 01-26-2019 10:03 PM

nice analysis, great insight!

something to definitely ponder about.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2Face (Post 730930)
That was a light hearted joke. Kushner has a lot of power. He is Trump's daughters husband. There is no way anyone is coming in between them. Kushner is the reason why these negotiations are going on. Javanka = VERY good for us. That's why the radical right hate them so much.

2Face 01-26-2019 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by libertarian1776 (Post 730931)
nice analysis, great insight!

something to definitely ponder about.

I've maintained from Day 1. If there's a President who can FORCE Congress's hand on immigration, it's Donald. You ought to analyze the way his use of the "Wall" phrase has evolved over time. Now all of a sudden he says we need a "barrier" and a "steel wall." Every time he uses the word Wall he also says "tough border security." This Wall rhetoric was only meant to win the election. These silly Democrats don't understand Donald is actually a very good President for them. Pence is the one who would be a total radical establishment Republican, nightmare for Dems. Recently, When Nancy told Donald "we are not looking to impeach", Donny replied "That's good Nancy, that's good." Right now he is being ROASTED on Breitbart, which is great news for us. He's got nothing to lose now. If I was him I'd go for a comprehensive deal. He would win tons of immigrant votes. And that is why I fear Democrats will not come on board. He is the biggest scam artist of all time. He said he will end Obama's amnesty on "Day 1." Mofo rescinded that shit like over a year after that and even that coz Texas racist AG was going to sue. Over the past few days, I have learnt, the far right is bad and the far left is worse! Steer clear of these people and stay in the middle.

ExMachina 01-26-2019 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2Face (Post 730932)
I've maintained from Day 1. If there's a President who can FORCE Congress's hand on immigration, it's Donald. You ought to analyze the way his use of the "Wall" phrase has evolved over time. Now all of a sudden he says we need a "barrier" and a "steel wall." Every time he uses the word Wall he also says "tough border security." This Wall rhetoric was only meant to win the election. These silly Democrats don't understand Donald is actually a very good President for them. Pence is the one who would be a total radical establishment Republican, nightmare for Dems. Recently, When Nancy told Donald "we are not looking to impeach", Donny replied "That's good Nancy, that's good." Right now he is being ROASTED on Breitbart, which is great news for us. He's got nothing to lose now. If I was him I'd go for a comprehensive deal. He would win tons of immigrant votes. And that is why I fear Democrats will not come on board. He is the biggest scam artist of all time. He said he will end Obama's amnesty on "Day 1." Mofo rescinded that shit like over a year after that and even that coz Texas racist AG was going to sue. Over the past few days, I have learnt, the far right is bad and the far left is worse! Steer clear of these people and stay in the middle.

The ACLU is still investigating whether or not they had a quid pro quo with Paxton to "force their hand". DACA was pretty popular even among Trump's own voters, ending it late after promising to be compassionate was a PR stunt.

I agree he's the best shot they have at ending the longstanding immigration stalemate, but not in the way that you think.. We're going to get something incredibly shitty like Goodlatte in exchange for the RISE Act, or ending birthright citizenship. That's only going to come if and when SCOTUS overturns the injunctions keeping DACA alive because he won't deal with Dems unless he strips them of their bargaining power.

Think about it. He shut down the government for a month and threatened national emergency powers instead of a long term DACA fix in exchange for 25b. He thinks he can siphon more consessions out of DACA.