DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Reform debate updates !!! (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=3846)

Ianus 01-17-2007 09:58 AM

Reform debate updates !!!

It seems that way judging from current articles & Senate judiciary hearings.The Democrat's first order of business on reform seem likely to be either rescind or take "a critical look" at legislation passed under the past Republican controlled congress.The passed legislations that could be on their list seem to be mainly the recently passed Secure fence act & current implementation of the U.S. visit system.
Quote:

Originally Posted by From the First link
Hoyer said Democrats will listen to administration officials and experts on the issue.

"The objective will be, as we move forward, to secure the border, absolutely," Hoyer said.

"We could not maintain the kind of country we have without making sure that we have a controlled flow of immigration, so that that is absolutely the objective, I think, of everybody in the Congress, Democrat and Republican."

Responding to a reporter's question, Hoyer said that a comprehensive immigration bill should be on the Democrats' list, but he didn't give any timetable for House consideration. The Senate is expected to go first on this issue with a bill similar to the one it passed last May.

On another note,It seems that Zoe Lofgren intends to take a look at Dream act,or at least according to her District Chief of staff.As I have said in the past,Zoe Lofgren is the Chairwoman of the Immgration & Border security sub-committee which is the starting point for crafting legislation on immigration in the House.
Quote:

Foothill-De Anza Community College District Chancellor Martha Kanter described efforts to assist immigrants in obtaining citizenship and paying for college. Rep. Zoe Lofgren's district chief of staff, Sandra Soto, said the San Jose Democrat wants to review a proposed federal Dream Act that would help thousands of undocumented high school students gain legal status and get in-state college tuition.
There is also a new Alliance that will be pushing for reform & is expected to hold a press conference sometime noon today.I'd go out on a limb & say Tancredo running for President might have been the cause for this.
Quote:

Hardbeatnews, WASHINGTON, DC, Weds. Jan, 18, 2007: A group of business, labor, religious, conservative, progressive, ethnic, and immigrant leaders, branding themselves the Alliance for Immigration Reform 2007, are set to today kick start a call for immigration reform in the House.

Advocates, including R. Bruce Josten, executive vice president, U.S. Chamber of Commerce; Eliseo Medina, international vice president, Service Employees International Union; Cecilia Munoz, vice president, National Council of La Raza; Bishop Thomas G. Wenskiof the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops and Frank Sharry, executive director, insist that the existing immigration law isn’t working for anyone and that Congress must act in this session.

The group will hold a press conference at noon today to renew the call for earned legalization for the millions of undocumented immigrants in the US.

Nick 01-17-2007 03:58 PM

Good job digging this up. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Ianus 01-18-2007 03:22 PM

I've got my fingers & toes crossed as well ! :lol:

It seems there will be many iterations of a comprehensive bill coming out from not only Democrats,but Republicans as well.Senator Isakson just this morning introduced his compromise for Immigration BUT the key difference is that it defers legal status for the undocumented for 2 years while enforcement provisions are implemented beforehand,sounds familiar.I believe there was already a 6 month trigger in the prior comprehensive bill,it seems this is just another early effort to slow down the immigration effort by the new bi-partisan majority.

Nick 01-18-2007 03:48 PM

I dont even see how defering any legalization for 2 years is going to change anythign in terms of enforcement.
No really, lets say god forbid enforcement fails, in 2 years the legalization procedures still kick in. If it works, they still kick in.
If enforcement doesnt work AND as the result in two years they decide not to legalize anyone, thats just two problems still there and still not fixed.

There is a link between legalization and enforcement, but I dont think as straightforward as some think.

Ianus 01-18-2007 07:06 PM

I think this is why the Democrats who fought for it last year don't trust the Isakson resolve for such an important legislation.I think that in order for this to work they should allow those already here to gain legal status while using this amendment on the guest-worker provision which would then be phased-in.When the Senator offered the amendment last year to CIR it only accumulated 40 votes.

It seems that another Senator by the name of Lamar Alexander has gone on record in support of the Isakson CIR bill & is basically saying it could get as much as 90 votes in the Senate. :roll:
Quote:

Mr. President, I am here today to commend the Senator from Georgia. Since last fall, he has had before us the basis for sound, comprehensive immigration legislation — all in one bill; two parts: secure our borders; and once that is done, then all the rest of it. I believe that would attract 85 or 90 votes. And I would suggest, respectfully, to my friend, the Democratic leader, and my friend, the Republican leader, that if we are looking for things to do that are important, that the American people expect us to act on, that we have already demonstrated we can work on together, that within a few weeks we take up the matter of immigration, we base our work on the Isakson principle, and we not stop until we finish the job.
Imo,I think they support this deferment because of the elections are also in ~ 2 years & nothing else.

[Edit:I forgot to include the 228 page legislation of this Comprehensive bill.{requires:Adobe reader}]
After reading the bill,it is NOTHING but a scheme.It basically grants "guest-worker" status for a period of 2 years under a W-visa scheme with absolutely NO path to permanent residency other than by using current rules.

hayire 01-18-2007 10:22 PM

I don't like this

FrankV 01-19-2007 09:27 PM

What is Dream Act is involve/attached to this bill? That would benefit us but not the others...

Abaddon 01-19-2007 09:59 PM

It's unlikely to be attached.

Nick 01-19-2007 10:30 PM

I think his bill is unlikely all together, since non of the Democratic immigration "dogs" were involved in creating it. And since the Democrats are in power, I think it will be Reid, Kennedy and a few other who will ultimately have a bill thats brought to the floor. Why would they devote time to this bill? I dont see a reason...

GOW125 01-20-2007 01:06 AM

when will they vote for this? If this happens what is next wait another 2 years?