DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The News Room (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   House Republicans’ Immigration Bill Not Ready for Floor Action (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=80978)

jaylove16 02-16-2018 01:26 PM

House Republicans’ Immigration Bill Not Ready for Floor Action

Several House Republicans have said the bill has the support of more than 150 members of their conference but an official GOP whip count Wednesday showed that there are not yet 216 — the number needed for floor passage — ready to commit to voting “yes.”

House Majority Whip Steve Scalise would not directly characterize the whip count but effectively confirmed as much.

Any important bill is going to take some time to work through the differences,” the Louisiana Republican told Roll Call. “I don’t think our differences are insurmountable, but ... there are differences, especially on DACA.”

A Scalise aide said the whip team will continue to work the bill so House Republicans can pass it.

One silver lining for Democrats in Ryan’s suggestion that House action may not occur until later in March is that it provides them another leverage opportunity, as their votes will be needed to pass an omnibus spending bill before March 23, when the latest stopgap funding bill expires.

“Yes,” Lujan Grisham said when asked if Democrats would use that leverage. “I’m going to pitch every single day every opportunity that’s available we should take. Haven’t been able to get that in a win situation, but make no mistake: In every single Democratic environment where I can make that pitch, I do.”

Cole said he is worried about Democrats trying to tie immigration to spending again, but said Ryan has “played his hand really well” and established a principle that they should remain separate.

While Cole expressed hope for quick action on DACA and an omnibus bill, he acknowledged the House will have some “breathing room” on the former if the Senate fails to advance a bill this week.

https://www.rollcall.com/news/politi...y-floor-action

I hope republican moderates in the house withhold their support till they give us a path to citizenship. Goodlatte wil never agree so I don’t see how this bill ever passes lol.
Btw , 150 out of 238 House Republicans supporting this bill tells a lot. I don’t see how they get to 216 without significant changes.

Got_Daca 02-16-2018 01:32 PM

Re: House Republicans’ Immigration Bill Not Ready for Floor Action

USA act ftw

eva02 02-16-2018 02:22 PM

Isn’t. 150 our of 240 some republicans the majority of the majority? Hasert rule???

jorgeag92 02-16-2018 02:38 PM

This is about the Goodlatte bill right? So we will end up with permanent DACA and our parents will be screwed at the same time by not letting them get sponsored by their U.S born kids?

Rida980 02-16-2018 02:43 PM

So now we wait till March 23rd for an outcome?

jorgeag92 02-16-2018 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rida980 (Post 692076)
So now we wait till March 23rd for an outcome?

Yup, and after that we will wait until November, and after that until 2020, and after that until 2024

Smooth 02-16-2018 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jorgeag92 (Post 692079)
Yup, and after that we will wait until November, and after that until 2020, and after that until 2024

That is the very scary part. Trump actually has a chance of getting re-elected. Do not settle for the renewals. Come 2020 and he gets re-elected, what then? DO NOT SETTLE.

March 23rd is coming up, and I think we all need a strategy to make Democrats cave.

dtrt09 02-16-2018 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smooth (Post 692080)
That is the very scary part. Trump actually has a chance of getting re-elected. Do not settle for the renewals. Come 2020 and he gets re-elected, what then? DO NOT SETTLE.

March 23rd is coming up, and I think we all need a strategy to make Democrats cave.

This is what needs to happen - they need to attach legislation onto tbe omnibus.

langrydude 02-16-2018 03:23 PM

What a waste of time. This bill makes Grassley's bill sound like a liberal propaganda in comparison and look how badly that bill was defeated.

VJB2 02-16-2018 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jorgeag92 (Post 692075)
This is about the Goodlatte bill right? So we will end up with permanent DACA and our parents will be screwed at the same time by not letting them get sponsored by their U.S born kids?

You act like it has a chance of passing. Everything will be the same, don't you worry.