DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   New Members (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   New around here (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=81444)

w1919 03-26-2018 01:39 AM

New around here

Long long time lurker.... since 2007. Only registered now since I was finally fortunate enough to have been granted DACA. Although the future is uncertain Im going to try to the make the best of next two years.

Ja5219 03-26-2018 08:03 AM

Re: New around here

Quote:

Originally Posted by w1919 (Post 699394)
Long long time lurker.... since 2007. Only registered now since I was finally fortunate enough to have been granted DACA. Although the future is uncertain Im going to try to the make the best of next two years.

Welcome welcome! Don't stress yourself out about the next 2 years, just make the best of it and do as much as you can.

I've had DACA from the start and it still seems like I haven't advanced much (In a career, life in general) but I'm working on it. Slowly figuring out what I want out of life.
I definitely feel like I need to rush sometimes and have things happen quickly but that only stresses me out and puts me down so I am trying a new approach.

Good to have you here!

BestBefore1984 03-26-2018 10:56 AM

Welcome.

Any suggestions to make the message board better>

w1919 03-27-2018 12:11 AM

Ja5219,BestBefore1984

Thanks for the welcome. As far as suggestions I dont really have any at the moment but I will say that this forum has been an invaluable resource throughout the years. It may sound cruel but its strangely comforting knowing that Im not alone. Im simply one of many dreamers whose parents risked everything to give their children a better future.

Gnome 04-05-2018 03:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by w1919 (Post 699579)
Ja5219,BestBefore1984

Thanks for the welcome. As far as suggestions I dont really have any at the moment but I will say that this forum has been an invaluable resource throughout the years. It may sound cruel but its strangely comforting knowing that Im not alone. Im simply one of many dreamers whose parents risked everything to give their children a better future.

Our parents were irresponsible for bringing us here without having solid plans to legalize us.

JayR9 04-05-2018 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gnome (Post 700766)
Our parents were irresponsible for bringing us here without having solid plans to legalize us.

Not sure about you but my parents were poor as hell. Barely had enough to eat growing up. I dine on Michelin meals because of their "irresponsibility". I once blamed them for my status in my teens but I will never blame them again. They struggled and sacrificed so I could have a great life.

JayR9 04-05-2018 08:40 PM

Welcome, w1919

Gnome 04-06-2018 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayR9 (Post 700812)
Not sure about you but my parents were poor as hell. Barely had enough to eat growing up. I dine on Michelin meals because of their "irresponsibility". I once blamed them for my status in my teens but I will never blame them again. They struggled and sacrificed so I could have a great life.

Maybe this is why I would be Libertarian or something in the middle if I was a USC, but why should we force another country to take care of us? That's what we did by coming here and staying illegally, and that's what the recent caravan was intending to do.

If I don't want to let you into my house, you're not forcing your way in through the window. I want you out.

True, many of us Dreamers have done amazing things with our education and careers, greater things than most USCs. And I sure hope that something passes for us because I love this country. But if it doesn't, I am ready to move on. I can take my education/work experience and take it to a country where I can keep prospering. I will never go back to the shadows again.

This said, I would never put my own children through the agony of living in a place where they're not wanted. If under DACA we're 2nd-class citizens, being in the US without any status you're a 5th-class citizen, akin to living in a concentration camp. Why would I consciously put my children through that?

So, yes, our parents struggled and sacrificed a lot, but ultimately they brought us here because they thought it was the best thing for them. When did we get a say about wanting to live here illegally regardless of whether right now, with DACA, we're living a good life?

JayR9 04-06-2018 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gnome (Post 700819)
Maybe this is why I would be Libertarian or something in the middle if I was a USC, but why should we force another country to take care of us? That's what we did by coming here and staying illegally, and that's what the recent caravan was intending to do.

If I don't want to let you into my house, you're not forcing your way in through the window. I want you out.

True, many of us Dreamers have done amazing things with our education and careers, greater things than most USCs. And I sure hope that something passes for us because I love this country. But if it doesn't, I am ready to move on. I can take my education/work experience and take it to a country where I can keep prospering. I will never go back to the shadows again.

This said, I would never put my own children through the agony of living in a place where they're not wanted. If under DACA we're 2nd-class citizens, being in the US without any status you're a 5th-class citizen, akin to living in a concentration camp. Why would I consciously put my children through that?

So, yes, our parents struggled and sacrificed a lot, but ultimately they brought us here because they thought it was the best thing for them. When did we get a say about wanting to live here illegally regardless of whether right now, with DACA, we're living a good life?

Yes, we can be successful anywhere. I am considering on apply to Canada. Just waiting to see what 2020 will yield.

My parents and I'm sure plenty of other parents didn't make the decision to immigrant on just the basis of what's best for them. They immigrated mostly on what's best for family. My father came first and sent money back home. I'm different in the respect that I remember (at age 4) my mom asked me if I want to stay or go with her to America. Sure, I was too young to comprehend the consequence of the decision but I think it worked out. I wouldn't be as successful in my home country.

rosabella 04-19-2018 10:46 PM

This is exactly what I’ve been looking for gmail login