DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Newly licenced RN - NEED a plan! =( (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=24529)

StillDreamingRN 09-16-2011 04:17 PM

Newly licenced RN - NEED a plan! =(

Hi guys and girls,

I am a NY dreamer, recently graduated from nursing school, and unsure of what my next step should be. I spoke with my lawyer who stated that getting sponsored in this economy would be difficult, and can take as long as 3 years - and even then there's no guarantee that your case will be accepted. He recommended Canada, because you can self-sponsor, but after doing research, it seems that I may need at least a year's worth of experience before being considered. Does anyone have experience applying to other countries? Should that be my next step? - not sure how much longer I can wait hoping for DA/CIR to pass. I have a masters degree as well - going to school has been the only way I've managed to cope with my status, and still feel productive. However, now that I've graduated, I'm running out of options. Any other RNs out there in the same situation? What have you been doing since graduation? BTW, it's so great to have this forum. I've read a lot of your posts, and it's nice to have the support of others going through the same struggles that I am.

StillDreamingRN 09-16-2011 04:18 PM

Re: Newly licenced RN - NEED a plan! =(

This should be in lounge, but new to forum and not sure how to move it..

iDream 09-16-2011 04:29 PM

i suggest that you work as a CNA in a home for the elderly first. get paid under the table if they're willing. just to get experience... thats what some of my friends are doing. (RN and LVN US citizen friends) they would work as a CNA in a small elderly home clinic then work their way up just to get experience.

-sometimes, regardless on how many great things we've done with our life.. we have to start from the bottom.. especially in our situation..

StillDreamingRN 09-16-2011 04:42 PM

I've been nannying for the past 5 years, and it's really how I've paid for my tuition. I'm thinking about making the switch to elderly care....I'm running out of excuses with my friends..no one understands why I'm still just a nanny. If any one knows of any agencies/facilities willing to hire those in our situation, will love to get more info...

GITANOTX 09-16-2011 05:51 PM

Hey StillDreaingRN, if you don't mind me asking, i would like to know if you're a visa overstay and have a social security number (i know it would not authorize you to work legally in the country) ?
I'm asking, because i've been thinking about pursuing nursing (in TX) but i think they require S.S. to become a licensed nurse......
peace out!

StillDreamingRN 09-16-2011 06:07 PM

visa overstay, with no ssn. I had to experiment with different schools here in nyc. Every step along the way, especially during clinicals, I was afraid I'll encounter problems..but I really lucked out. I was able to sit for nclex and get license without a ssn. So it's definitely possible.

StillDreamingRN 09-16-2011 06:12 PM

http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=17140

When I was preparing for the nclex, I came across this thread, that guided me through the process. The posts by aevangel really guided me though the process. My license came in the mail yesterday - unfortunately, I can't use it! =(

Dreamer12 09-16-2011 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StillDreamingRN (Post 234232)
Hi guys and girls,

I am a NY dreamer, recently graduated from nursing school, and unsure of what my next step should be. I spoke with my lawyer who stated that getting sponsored in this economy would be difficult, and can take as long as 3 years - and even then there's no guarantee that your case will be accepted. He recommended Canada, because you can self-sponsor, but after doing research, it seems that I may need at least a year's worth of experience before being considered. Does anyone have experience applying to other countries? Should that be my next step? - not sure how much longer I can wait hoping for DA/CIR to pass. I have a masters degree as well - going to school has been the only way I've managed to cope with my status, and still feel productive. However, now that I've graduated, I'm running out of options. Any other RNs out there in the same situation? What have you been doing since graduation? BTW, it's so great to have this forum. I've read a lot of your posts, and it's nice to have the support of others going through the same struggles that I am.

I want to be an RN, last year of high school. Can you give me any advice? How challenhin is it? Im currently taking a physiology course and I love learning about the body and how it works. Thanks:)

StillDreamingRN 09-16-2011 07:02 PM

It's definitely manageable..everything is, if you're willing to invest the time and energy to doing well. I took my prerequisites at a city university (much cheaper, and can even get a scholarship) and then applied to a nursing program (lived at home, and worked during school to pay the tuition). Just know that we have huge obstacles that we have to overcome, but look for opportunities and don't give up - when one door closes, another opens up. Set goals to keep your sanity, and try not to get discouraged. It gets frustrating and nerve-wracking at times, but when you attain your goals, it's all worth it in the end. I can't do anything with my degrees yet, but I'm still glad to have them! and in a way, it was good, cuz my situation forced me to graduate without loans. I still live at home with my mom, but I'm debt free!

StillDreamingRN 09-16-2011 07:11 PM

My second advice will be to fall in love! lol College is really a good time to meet your significant other. Study when in college, but date and meet a nice person to marry! After college, it becomes much harder imo =) I missed the boat, wish I could go back to college and do it all over again. =)