DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The News Room (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   With fixing, DREAM Act could still come true (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=19435)

MiGSTeR 12-27-2010 10:39 AM

Re: With fixing, DREAM Act could still come true

Quote:

Originally Posted by withchemicals (Post 203092)
Although I do wish more DREAMers would qualify, a lot of what's said in this article is true. A 15 year old immigrant is no stranger to his home country, and lowering the age cap and the minimum age of entry requirement would get much more support. This is all on principle, and the ideal DREAMer who truly doesn't fit in his home country would be below 10 years at entry and below 30.

Then again, I do wish for the largest amount of DREAMers to qualify, so I'm a bit torn.

Again, out before angry posters.

ewwwwwwww ^^^ Flat as paper

Eddy117 12-27-2010 02:55 PM

Quote:

Although I do wish more DREAMers would qualify, a lot of what's said in this article is true. A 15 year old immigrant is no stranger to his home country, and lowering the age cap and the minimum age of entry requirement would get much more support. This is all on principle, and the ideal DREAMer who truly doesn't fit in his home country would be below 10 years at entry and below 30.

Then again, I do wish for the largest amount of DREAMers to qualify, so I'm a bit torn.

I agree with excluding some older kids but not on the grounds you have pointed out.
I think they should bar anyone who came here after age 16 from being eligible for any future DREAM Act-like legislation...The way I see it, some of us were toddlers when we came here while a kid in his/her late teens has a choice to come here illegally or not. Besides, some of those kids like one of my cousins did could apply for a student visa and ultimately adjust their status after graduating if they have a job opening. Most of us however, didn't have that option, hell most of us didn't know we were illegal until it was too late to do anything to change our life...I didn't find out until i started looking at college apps my sophomore year and i couldn't cough up a ssn so yeah if something like this made it onto a piece of legislation it would suck for some but it would help most of us...the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few...

fl_dreamer 12-27-2010 03:47 PM

I have been here consecutively since I was 13. Its been over 10 years and No, I don't remember the country or have any ties back home! Oh yes and my family speaks english at home.. I can barely understand my native language.
Bringing the age down to 10 would suck!

DA User 12-27-2010 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demise (Post 203032)
HCR took 50 years.

[Sarcasm] Let me just grab a beer and wait [/Sarcasm]

http://img.youtube.com/vi/HbfWJNNOsYw/0.jpg

2 different issues.

DA User 12-27-2010 04:18 PM

Quote:

Lowering the age cap did no good. Infact we had more votes when the bill was attached to DADT.

DA User 12-27-2010 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddy117 (Post 203126)
I agree with excluding some older kids but not on the grounds you have pointed out.
I think they should bar anyone who came here after age 16 from being eligible for any future DREAM Act-like legislation...The way I see it, some of us were toddlers when we came here while a kid in his/her late teens has a choice to come here illegally or not. Besides, some of those kids like one of my cousins did could apply for a student visa and ultimately adjust their status after graduating if they have a job opening. Most of us however, didn't have that option, hell most of us didn't know we were illegal until it was too late to do anything to change our life...I didn't find out until i started looking at college apps my sophomore year and i couldn't cough up a ssn so yeah if something like this made it onto a piece of legislation it would suck for some but it would help most of us...the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few...

Why would you want to exclude the original Dreamers who started. This dates back to 2001. Why also exclude Dreamers who have atleast 2 years of education regardless age?

I agree to bar anyone who came here after 16 and over because that was always on all of the bills.

An undocumented can apply for a Student Visa?

withchemicals 12-27-2010 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddy117 (Post 203126)

Whoops! I failed to think about that, and you're indeed correct. They did have a choice as well in some sense.
Quote:

Originally Posted by DA User (Post 203135)
Lowering the age cap did no good. Infact we had more votes when the bill was attached to DADT.

However, it was not the higher age cap that gave more votes when it was attached to DADT. In addition, there's no arguing that we had much more success during the lame duck session than during the DADT period. Both periods were met with failure, but the lame duck session garnered more media attention.
Quote:

Originally Posted by DA User (Post 203137)
Why would you want to exclude the original
Dreamers who started. This dates back to 2001. Why also exclude Dreamers who have atleast 2 years of education regardless age?

I agree to bar anyone who came here after 16 and over because that was always on all of the bills.

An undocumented can apply for a Student Visa?

I think he means that an older child knows more about the workings of life than an infant or toddler.

Also, I'm still adamant in my belief that if I were an older DREAMer, I would have been out of here already with my degrees. I'm not going to say that the actual older DREAMers should do the same because I'll get chewed out (there are a lot of forum watchdogs here), but wouldn't it be more sensible to just return home once one obtains the means to live successfully in another country? The younger generation of DREAMers as of now do not have any complete education and thus have no point in returning, but the older DREAMers do have their degrees and can easily survive in their home with some effort (keyword: effort implying that it won't be easy). For the older generation of DREAMers who failed to even attend school, there's no help for them because they should have done something rather than wait years for the DREAM Act to pass...

A lot of harsh and venomous words and I apologize, but if I were idle for multiple consecutive years without a job or education, I would have left. Fortunately, I'm in school and I hope more and more DREAMers find a way.

starsNmoons 12-27-2010 05:23 PM

I disagree with this article, as I don't think that is the reason it hasn't passed. It hasnt passed because the people who can pass dont give a f*u%c!k if it does

DA User 12-27-2010 06:23 PM

What we needed to do was put a border security bill to get the bill to pass. Coming up different versions of the bill was not the answer.

How long are you willing to wait for the DA to pass?

To the Dreamers, this is the only home they know of. Why would they go back to a country which is foreign to them?

If you are raised as an American then how is it possible to live in another country that isn't American?

Quote:

Originally Posted by withchemicals (Post 203143)
Whoops! I failed to think about that, and you're indeed correct. They did have a choice as well in some sense.

However, it was not the higher age cap that gave more votes when it was attached to DADT. In addition, there's no arguing that we had much more success during the lame duck session than during the DADT period. Both periods were met with failure, but the lame duck session garnered more media attention.

I think he means that an older child knows more about the workings of life than an infant or toddler.

Also, I'm still adamant in my belief that if I were an older DREAMer, I would have been out of here already with my degrees. I'm not going to say that the actual older DREAMers should do the same because I'll get chewed out (there are a lot of forum watchdogs here), but wouldn't it be more sensible to just return home once one obtains the means to live successfully in another country? The younger generation of DREAMers as of now do not have any complete education and thus have no point in returning, but the older DREAMers do have their degrees and can easily survive in their home with some effort (keyword: effort implying that it won't be easy). For the older generation of DREAMers who failed to even attend school, there's no help for them because they should have done something rather than wait years for the DREAM Act to pass...

A lot of harsh and venomous words and I apologize, but if I were idle for multiple consecutive years without a job or education, I would have left. Fortunately, I'm in school and I hope more and more DREAMers find a way.

withchemicals 12-27-2010 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DA User (Post 203151)
What we needed to do was put a border security bill to get the bill to pass. Coming up different versions of the bill was not the answer.

How long are you willing to wait for the DA to pass?

To the Dreamers, this is the only home they know of. Why would they go back to a country which is foreign to them?

If you are raised as an American then how is it possible to live in another country that isn't American?

It becomes possible with effort when I'm 30, unemployed, and out of school with no prospects of the DREAM Act passing anytime soon.

Let's have a Greek debate where they take the two extremes to make a point. If a DREAMer is 70 years old, don't you agree that it'd be ridiculous if he or she were still waiting for the DREAM Act to pass? On the other hand, someone in their mid-10's wouldn't seem as silly for hoping that the DREAM Act would pass.