DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   us the guinea pigs (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=31177)

nene_pea 09-09-2012 05:53 PM

us the guinea pigs

hi everyone,

i've spent a lot of time reading information online--within and outside of this forum. specifically, i've been reading situations, thoughts, and opinions in order to appease my mind regarding the burning question:

if we have used a fake or someone else's social security number to work, should we list it on our application?

after consulting with two attorneys, it appears that "honesty is the best policy." they both have told me that, yes, all numbers--whether real (though not ours) or fake--should be listed.

they advised me that the purpose of listing fake numbers, if the applicant is accepted, is to transfer accrued benefits to your legal social security number.

the same goes for using someone else's social security number, though those are complex cases, since assuming someone else's SSN was a deliberate act. bluntly, they stated that USCIS has not stated whether, if denied, they will prosecute these cases/refer them to ICE.

the counterargument, however, is that if you do not list all of the numbers, it may constitute committing "fraud" on the application, hence the reason to simply list them all.

with all of this uncertainty, it just feels like some of us are better off waiting to see what happens with other similar cases. or we can risk being the guinea pigs.

i'm still trying to decide what to do.

what have you guys done/think? this is tough stuff.

Chn 09-09-2012 05:56 PM

Re: us the guinea pigs

Use the search my friend this question has been answered a bunch of times.

Also, transferring social security benefits has nothing to do with USCIS, you'd have to deal with the social security administration for that.

goobie_pls 09-09-2012 06:25 PM

lie and ICE fucks you up
lie and USCIS never finds out
tell the truth and ICE fucks you up
tell the truth and nothing happens

Flip a coin, 50/50 bitches. Alternatively you could wait for people's cases to become approved/denied and submit your apps later.

Leap of Faith 09-09-2012 09:24 PM

Well, I for one am not content to sit back in fear. I was already preparing to pack my stuff and and just go home. My suitcase had a ton of stuff in it already when the DACA announcement was made. It's only because of that announcement why I'm even still here. If they decide to deport me because of the information I've disclosed then that's what it is. From MY point of view (and mine only), I think you should take a chance. You only live once, and you never know when this window of opportunity will close.

JohannBernoulli1667 09-09-2012 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leap of Faith (Post 297018)
Well, I for one am not content to sit back in fear. I was already preparing to pack my stuff and and just go home. My suitcase had a ton of stuff in it already when the DACA announcement was made. It's only because of that announcement why I'm even still here. If they decide to deport me because of the information I've disclosed then that's what it is. From MY point of view (and mine only), I think you should take a chance. You only live once, and you never know when this window of opportunity will close.

I did the same buddy :)

vivace 09-09-2012 09:43 PM

What my attorney told me is that USCIS will pardon you for using fake SSN for DACA purposes. However, when you want to adjust your status permanently, you won't be able to because you lied to the government.

JohannBernoulli1667 09-09-2012 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivace (Post 297028)
What my attorney told me is that USCIS will pardon you for using fake SSN for DACA purposes. However, when you want to adjust your status permanently, you won't be able to because you lied to the government.

This is
what i was told too. Something along those lines. I know people who have adjusted through marriage and had no problem when admitting to have used a fake ssn or name.

Only time will tell.

ferchor2 09-10-2012 12:34 AM

is not yours so no!!!!!

NotAPro 09-10-2012 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nene_pea (Post 296953)
they advised me that the purpose of listing fake numbers, if the applicant is accepted, is to transfer accrued benefits to your legal social security number.

When you get your SSN you fill out a form tell them they screwed up and your wages were reported under XXX-XX-XXXX to change them to XXX-XX-XXXX and they look you up and KAZAAM! they change it to your new SSN.

USCIS does not administer SSN's, SSA does.

pakapoa 09-10-2012 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leap of Faith (Post 297018)

i could not have said it better... infact shipped everything and even had a good bye party then in the middle of the party someone announce that Obama will be doing something about immigration and that i need to wait. am like.. look you might be a lawyer and all but it's still MY good bye America party... geez anyhow my laggage is still here it's just now it's two way instead of one way. so even when i went to get my DL using those stupid receipt i really was not scared of anybody... i just really had time on my hand.