DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   How to deal with depression/anxiety (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=83070)

Red neck 12-27-2018 12:57 AM

How to deal with depression/anxiety

How do you guys cope with depression or anxiety attacks?
I take sleeping pills sometimes they work other times they dont.
Sometimes I just feel like leaving the country

BrokeAssDreamer 12-27-2018 02:15 AM

Re: How to deal with depression/anxiety

stop overthinking, at the end of the day we will be ok. We might not be able to travel freely but I still believe something good will eventually come. Stay busy, clear your mind and take vacations if possible. We will not go back to the shadows that is for sure!

Battitude2 12-27-2018 03:23 AM

Sad but true: It will also feel ok in the end because at one point you will become desensitized to it. Emotional rollercoasters only last so long. After a while, you just shrug at new developments in crazy politics and return to focusing on your life.

Malign0n 12-27-2018 03:48 AM

For me, the whole weight of worrying about my status has actually dropped in the six years of having DACA. I’ve reached a point where the weight of it is comparable to a 2lb dumbbell. There’s just other things in my life that weigh heavier on me. Carrying 2lbs alone is nothing. Carrying 100 + that additional 2lbs does weigh.

Right now, you should focus on the things in your life that weigh you down the most. Focusing your energy on that, you’ll stop worrying about your status and you’ll probably solve your problems along the way

dreamer12345 12-27-2018 10:17 AM

risky sexual behavior

BestBefore1984 12-27-2018 11:35 AM

Look into stoicism. It's an ancient philosophy and it might just be what you are looking for.

This is a good introductory book that will inform you on how to overcome anxiety, stress, etc with real life applicable exercises.

The Obstacle Is the Way: The Timeless Art of Turning Trials into Triumph - by Ryan Holiday
https://www.amazon.com/Obstacle-Way-.../dp/1591846358

The Kindle version is $9.99 or the Audible version for $12.99 - personally I like the latter, as I can listen to it in my car and when I go for walks.

Another good point. Go for a walk. You will be surprised how a 3 mile walk can boost your morale.

Take some L-Theanine, you can pick this up at Walgreens, CVS, Target, etc.

Quote:

L-theanine benefits and uses
Most known for helping people relax, L-theanine has many other potential health benefits, including:

Anxiety and stress-relief

A hot cup of tea can help anyone feel more at ease, but research suggests it may be the most beneficial for those dealing with high levels of anxiety.

Five randomized-controlled trials with a total of 104 participants found L-theanine reduced stress and anxiety in people who were experiencing stressful situations.

Another study found that it increased relaxation without causing drowsiness and reduced resting heart rate.

A study published in the Journal of Clinical Psychiatry focused on people with schizophrenia or schizoaffective disorder. Researchers found that L-theanine decreased anxiety and improved symptoms.

https://www.healthline.com/health/l-...efits-and-uses

I use it in conjunction with coffee as it helps reduce the crash that comes with caffeine.

If you feel like no matter what you do, you still cannot overcome your anxiety/depression - there is nothing wrong with contacting a therapist.

BestBefore1984 12-27-2018 11:37 AM

If you want to get the book above, let me know and I can ship it to you free of cost.

jorgeag92 12-27-2018 02:50 PM

I have been suffering with anxiety for the last 4 or so months. The way I have been able to mostly overcome it is by:

Limiting the times I visit this forum, I limit the times I check the news, I try to meditate 5 minutes every day, I keep a journal of the things I am grateful for, and I try to stay out of my head as much as possible by doing active things. For sleeping, I drank chamomile tea.

I have heard that you can never be cured from anxiety, but that you can manage it. I have heard from youtube videos that a lot of people have been successful by inviting and accepting anxiety when they feel it coming and that is what I am currently working on. It is harder than what it appears.

beingoflight 12-28-2018 01:30 PM

Work like a motherfucker, this coming from somebody that couldnt be with the love of his life and probably is going to lose a career that started since 14 years old(im 24) because of this bullshit DACA situation, im basicaly destroying people on my field that have decades of experience on what i do, im playing god in this shit.

UnknownUser 12-29-2018 09:50 AM

Go to the dr ������