DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The News Room (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Senate Democrats have prepared an alternative proposal for the Parliamentarian’s cons (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=85137)

Dreamer1980 09-20-2021 12:51 PM

Senate Democrats have prepared an alternative proposal for the Parliamentarian’s cons

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2021/9/...on-budget-bill

• Durbin is the chair of the Senate Judiciary Committee and the founder of the crusade to give legal status to Dreamers, people who came to the U.S. illegally as youths through no fault of their own. In a joint statement with Sen. Alex Padilla, D-Calif., chair of the Senate Judiciary Subcommittee on Immigration, Citizenship, and Border Safety, Durbin said, “We are deeply disappointed in the Parliamentarian’s decision, but the fight for immigration reform will continue. Senate Democrats have prepared an alternative proposal for the Parliamentarian’s consideration in the coming days.”

• Rep. Jesus “Chuy” Garcia, D-Ill., said in a statement, “I am deeply disappointed by the Senate parliamentarian’s decision against including a pathway to citizenship in budget reconciliation. But the fight is far from over. We are prepared for this, we have a plan, and we remain optimistic. The parliamentarian ruled against one approach but Senate Democrats have the final say. We must do right by the immigrants who have kept our country going during the pandemic, including the over 40,000 DACA recipients, TPS holders, farm workers, and essential workers in my district who help our communities thrive. I will not stop fighting until they have a pathway to citizenship in the country they call home, and I urge the Senate to have the courage to overrule this decision.

dgx21 09-20-2021 01:06 PM

Re: Senate Democrats have prepared an alternative proposal for the Parliamentarian’s

So what can they change in this alternative proposal that will affect the budget and not be incidental? I thought the 8 million people claiming food stamps was the only way that could happen. What else can they do?

Blackfyre 09-20-2021 01:10 PM

Re: Senate Democrats have prepared an alternative proposal for the Parliamentarian’s

Quote:

Originally Posted by dgx21 (Post 763964)
So what can they change in this alternative proposal that will affect the budget and not be incidental? I thought the 8 million people claiming food stamps was the only way that could happen. What else can they do?

You didn't read what the parliamentarian said. She acknowledged there was a budgetary impact beyond being incidental. She claimed however that the other impacts far outweighed the budgetary impact however.

Afridi786 09-20-2021 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dgx21 (Post 763964)

So us being happy far outweighs the budgetary impact. But if they only codify DACA into law, she'll say there won't be enough budgetary impact. I can already see this being her next argument to fuck us.

lurkingpro 09-20-2021 01:19 PM

it goes on and on and on...the vicious cycle

Outsider626 09-20-2021 01:58 PM

See ya in 2041

Imthexman 09-20-2021 02:59 PM

This plan b be makes absolutely no sense, so the dems are going to ask Lord Elizabeth to allow a fraction of the original 8 million and residency instead of citizenship and she is going to cave? And then plan c would be to ask Lord Elizabeth to allow the dems to update the registry date? Lol

This is sad but freaking comical.

vft1008 09-20-2021 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Outsider626 (Post 763986)
See ya in 2041

Careful. You will trigger some sensitive people here by "killing morale".

Got_Daca 09-20-2021 03:44 PM

8 million was way too big of a number

Essential workers including Uber eats drivers? LMAO of course no.

Stick to DACAs only

Copper 09-20-2021 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Got_Daca (Post 763992)
8 million was way too big of a number

Essential workers including Uber eats drivers? LMAO of course no.

Stick to DACAs only

I don’t do UBER eats but damn why shouldn’t they? People were scared to go out and get stuff done in person so technically they should qualify because delivery people were a huge part of the pandemic.