DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Is EAD enough to work as a professor or a teacher? (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=43235)

Ocean 04-05-2013 09:20 PM

Is EAD enough to work as a professor or a teacher?

I am wondering whether I have to be a US Citizen or Permanent Resident to be eligible to teach in colleges/univirsities or even a high school.

dreamer83 04-05-2013 09:24 PM

Re: Is EAD enough to work as a professor or a teacher?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ocean (Post 454967)
I am wondering whether I have to be a US Citizen or Permanent Resident to be eligible to teach in colleges/univirsities or even a high school.

If you are accredited to teach, i.e. have a Masters or pHD degree as an educator in a specific field then yes you can. You do not need a USC or PR status to teach. I know someone who taught that was on a foreign visa at a good school.

Pianoswithoutfaith 04-05-2013 10:26 PM

yeah but I don't think our DACAs are visas

Ocean 04-06-2013 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreamer83 (Post 454970)
If you are accredited to teach, i.e. have a Masters or pHD degree as an educator in a specific field then yes you can. You do not need a USC or PR status to teach. I know someone who taught that was on a foreign visa at a good school.

Of course, degree in specific field is required. Even BA/BS degree with teaching credential should be enough except pay will be lower.

But I do feel we are eligible but my parent thinks I have to be USC or PR.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianoswithoutfaith (Post 454987)
yeah but I don't think our DACAs are visas

That's also what I am wondering.

Looks like not many are into teaching professions in this forum. I didn't see relevant topics in the search. Pay may not be a lot but the fact that it gives stable income is attractive to me.

dreamer83 04-06-2013 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ocean (Post 455047)
Of course, degree in specific field is required. Even BA/BS degree with teaching credential should be enough except pay will be lower.

But I do feel we are eligible but my parent thinks I have to be USC or PR.

That's also what I am wondering.

Looks like not many are into teaching professions in this forum. I didn't see relevant topics in the search. Pay may not be a lot but the fact that it gives stable income is attractive to me.

All the employers really look for is whether if you're legally authorized to work in the US. You're not working for the CIA which would require clearance and USC.

Oh can't believe i forgot this, my cousin who was in a similar situation taught elementary school with only a work permit (1 year renewable), no valid visa.

VeryNicePerson1 04-06-2013 11:05 AM

My friend worked as a full time English Teacher on a work permit.

Not sure if things have changed now, but I doubt it.

Ocean 04-06-2013 11:38 AM

Thanks guys! That relieves me