DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Initial applications (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=82725)

ladreamer1998 08-31-2018 05:39 PM

Initial applications

Is the DC daca case dead? I was looking forward to applying for daca. First they said the program would be reopened in July after the 90 day period then they said August. I don't want to throw a pity party, but I feel like shit right now. I feel like I have so much more potential to work somewhere else, but I can't do anything without a social security. I know I fucked up by not applying when I had the chance, but I've explained why a million times before. Does anyone have any info on the case.

Copper 08-31-2018 05:44 PM

Re: Initial applications

Not to discourage you, but if I were you I would try and see what other options you have other than DACA. Maybe moving and applying to another country, marriage, family sponsorship, etc.

The way it looks right now initial applications are not likely to come back and unless Congress steps up, DACA will be dead by next year at latest. At this point in time, it’s probably too much of a risk for you to rely on a full DACA comeback

ladreamer1998 08-31-2018 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Copper (Post 718378)
Not to discourage you, but if I were you I would try and see what other options you have other than DACA. Maybe moving and applying to another country, marriage, family sponsorship, etc.

The way it looks right now initial applications are not likely to come back and unless Congress steps up, DACA will be dead by next year at latest. At this point in time, it’s probably too much of a risk for you to rely on a full DACA comeback

I wish. I barely turned 20 a few weeks ago. A lot of older dreamers do have that luxury since they finished college already and got a degree or have a usc spouse. I'm so limited in what I can do. I wanna study law but I can't get an internship since I don't have a social security.

Copper 08-31-2018 05:54 PM

What state are you? If you’re in California try to devote you’re time in school while you wait, there’s help you can get even without an SSN.

ladreamer1998 08-31-2018 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Copper (Post 718380)
What state are you? If you’re in California try to devote you’re time in school while you wait, there’s help you can get even without an SSN.

Thanks bro. Eventually I'm probably going to have to get married to a usc. Waiting so much is killing me. I'm just frustrated and angry at myself right now. There's so much I want to do.

Copper 08-31-2018 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladreamer1998 (Post 718386)
Thanks bro. Eventually I'm probably going to have to get married to a usc. Waiting so much is killing me. I'm just frustrated and angry at myself right now. There's so much I want to do.

I understand you’re frustration bro, but look at the upside, you’re a young and healthy man with still a lot of time to grow and expand you’re horizons, not a lot of people can say that, by the time we get something permanent you’ll qualify as well.

My advice to you right now is to stay in school and most importantly stay out of trouble, and remember whatever obstacles you face, you don’t have to go through it alone, you have you’re family and friends and some people in this forum can be understanding as well.

I know how it feels to not have a work authorization or have that protection, we were all there and it wasn’t easy, but there’s always that light at the end of the tunnel and you’ll get through this.

The good news is that we won’t become the forgotten again and when something permanent passes you’ll be there to qualify, in the meanwhile try to stay busy and positive.

TexasDreamy 09-01-2018 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladreamer1998 (Post 718379)
I wish. I barely turned 20 a few weeks ago. A lot of older dreamers do have that luxury since they finished college already and got a degree or have a usc spouse. I'm so limited in what I can do. I wanna study law but I can't get an internship since I don't have a social security.

I didn't have any legal status until I was about 25. I've been there. I know it sucks.

Are you in college? Are you taking classes? My suggestion would be to get into programming - it's one of the few well-paying jobs you can do remotely, without a degree, and without status (assuming you do online contracting for cash).

CUSenior 09-01-2018 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladreamer1998 (Post 718379)

You don’t need an internship to get into law school.

DogJuiceMan 09-01-2018 09:46 PM

I remember applying for daca when I was way younger than you. Dang. Good times. I thought hey, I'll only be doing this just this onnnce NOPE was it like 5 years ago, feels like 5 years ago.

In short, Yer Boned.
You could literally open a lawbook and start studying. There are people that have programmed bots to do law-paperwork so you might be out of a career anyhow in about 10-25 years tops.

Even medical is rapidly reaching the point where it will be an obsolete career field thanks to the power of computers.

Want to learn something that's actually valuable? Learn all about computers and help kill off useless jobs like whatever the fuck CUSenior is doing. Start tinkering and making shit. Your dreams, your god-given talent, and your will to succeed through adversity will be your only limits.

kyungwc 09-05-2018 09:07 AM

If you live in LA, I know an internship at a small family run immigration law office you may apply for internship for (even without ead). Quite a few successful interns have gone on to do great things.