DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   My road from DACA to Med school (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=83980)

Manhattan2017 11-08-2019 10:00 AM

My road from DACA to Med school

Hi everyone
Just here to say THANKS for the past... many years that Ive been lurking here and asking for advice from before DACA to now.

I just sent in my renewal (March exp). God willing... it gets renewed before then

But aside from all the political fuss etc, DACA has certainly changed my life in so many ways and as someone who has always dreamed of being a doctor and contributing to society in the most meaningful way possible, I have already received a medical school acceptance with more interviews to come at schools that I could have only dreamed of being at. Not to mention, many of them are also willing to give out scholarships and loans to DACA students--especially the private medical schools. Thus, Im being treated the same as regular US citizens and PR in admissions and tuition.

Supreme Court hearing takes place next week.
There are so many DACA ppl who are full functioning, law-abiding, contributory members to society and I think it would be interesting to see how this all turns out.

Let's not give up hope now!

D_IN_LI 11-08-2019 05:43 PM

Re: My road from DACA to Med school

That is GREAT to hear!
I am currently on the same path but on my road map to my PharmD. (Doctorates of Pharmacy)

I hope you keep going and achieve greatness!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manhattan2017 (Post 742531)
Hi everyone
Just here to say THANKS for the past... many years that Ive been lurking here and asking for advice from before DACA to now.

I just sent in my renewal (March exp). God willing... it gets renewed before then

But aside from all the political fuss etc, DACA has certainly changed my life in so many ways and as someone who has always dreamed of being a doctor and contributing to society in the most meaningful way possible, I have already received a medical school acceptance with more interviews to come at schools that I could have only dreamed of being at. Not to mention, many of them are also willing to give out scholarships and loans to DACA students--especially the private medical schools. Thus, Im being treated the same as regular US citizens and PR in admissions and tuition.

There are so many DACA ppl who are full functioning, law-abiding, contributory members to society and I think it would be interesting to see how this all turns out.

theguywitheyes 11-09-2019 02:55 PM

wow. That's encouraging. I am applying next year. Can you share the list of schools that accepts DACA students?

Anvil32 11-10-2019 11:07 AM

Nice job great to hear of other DACA students making it. I applied a little late due to my late MCAT so I haven’t had any luck this application cycle but it’s not over yet. If anything I’ll apply again next year but on the first day haha.

Dream becomes Reality 11-11-2019 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manhattan2017 (Post 742531)
Hi everyone

Congratulations!! I wish more Americans had the opportunity to hear such stories of DACA kids being productive and valuable members of the society.

Manhattan2017 11-11-2019 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anvil32 (Post 742555)
Nice job great to hear of other DACA students making it. I applied a little late due to my late MCAT so I haven’t had any luck this application cycle but it’s not over yet. If anything I’ll apply again next year but on the first day haha.

Quote:

Originally Posted by theguywitheyes (Post 742540)
wow. That's encouraging. I am applying next year. Can you share the list of schools that accepts DACA students?

Buy a copy of the MSAR from the AAMC.
Its a good investment, about $30. If and when you do end up applying it is extremely useful.
It has a list of all the schools and if you search then individually, they all tell you their DACA policy and whether they are also considered.

best of luck to you !

Phanu9000 12-02-2019 09:17 PM

Congrats! Keep going and don't ever stop working on your goals.

I was fortunate to obtain a PhD and I am now a college professor. Our lives have changed so much for the better since DACA. Everything is possible if we keep working hard and don't let anyone else dissuade us from pursuing our dreams.

ECW 12-03-2019 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phanu9000 (Post 743345)
Congrats! Keep going and don't ever stop working on your goals.

I was fortunate to obtain a PhD and I am now a college professor. Our lives have changed so much for the better since DACA. Everything is possible if we keep working hard and don't let anyone else dissuade us from pursuing our dreams.

Awesome accomplishment!! Do you still have DACA?