DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Unemployment Benefits (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=84243)

ItsKdC 03-26-2020 04:06 PM

Unemployment Benefits

If we're laid off from work due to Covid19, do we qualify for unemployment benefits so we can stay afloat until we have to return to work?

I live in GA... that's why I'm concerned and feel like this question is necessary... I file taxes every year, so I'm wondering.

freshh. 03-26-2020 05:17 PM

Re: Unemployment Benefits

This is what I was able to find. I would call the DOL and ask.
Affidavit to Verify Applicant's Lawful Presence in the U.S.

Georgia law requires that all applicants for unemployment benefits who are 18 years of age or older sign an affidavit attesting they are (1) a United States citizen or a legal permanent resident or (2) a non-citizen legally present in the United States.

You must provide valid government-issued picture identification to complete the affidavit. Employment Authorization Document(s) are also required for non-citizens. Your employment authorization status registration with the Department of Homeland Security must be verified before benefits can be paid, if eligible.
If you are filing your claim in a GDOL career center and have the required document(s), you may complete the affidavit the same day. Otherwise, you will receive an email providing instruction on completing the affidavit process.

If you have already completed an Applicant Status Affidavit, you will not be required to complete the process again as this is a one-time requirement; however, each time a non-citizen files a claim for any type of UI benefits, Employment Authorization Document(s) must be provided.

Failure to complete the affidavit process may result in a delay or denial of benefits.
You must indicate acknowledgment of the affidavit requirement below to proceed to the application.

- Georgia Department of Labor
DACA Recipients Are Lawfully Present
18, 2013), USCIS confirmed that people granted deferred action under DACA are authorized by DHS to be present in the U.S. and are therefore considered to be lawfully present during the period of their deferred action grant.
-NILC

ItsKdC 03-26-2020 05:59 PM

Thank u bro... from what I'm reading I should be fine.

freshh. 03-26-2020 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ItsKdC (Post 745942)
Thank u bro... from what I'm reading I should be fine.

You're welcome. If you're successful, be sure to update us. :D

Dres2011 03-30-2020 10:37 PM

Do we qualify for Florida Unemployment?

freshh. 03-31-2020 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dres2011 (Post 746133)
Do we qualify for Florida Unemployment?

Submitting a Claim
Find out how to file a Florida unemployment claim online.

Prepare for Your Claim
To apply for unemployment benefits, you will need:
  • Your Social Security number
  • Your driver's license or state ID number
  • Information on your employment over the past 18 months, including:
  • Employer names, addresses, and phone numbers
  • Dates of first and last day of work
  • Gross earnings (before taxes) during employment periods
  • Reason for separation
  • FEIN number (on your W2 or 1099 tax forms)
  • If you don’t have a FEIN, use employer details from paystub

Some workers will need to provide additional information:
  • Non-U.S. citizens must provide their Alien Registration Number or work authorization form
  • Military employees must provide their DD-214 Member copy 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, or 8
  • Federal employees must provide SF 8 or SF 50
  • Union members must provide the union’s name, hall number and phone number

If you want to use direct deposit, you must provide your bank account number and routing number. You can also request a Reemployment Assistance debit card.
- State of Florida Reemployment Assistance/Unemployment Benefits

Dres2011 03-31-2020 08:34 PM

I'm eligible from my employer to file for unemployment, but my concern is being a public charge and whether we can get unemployment from the state of Florida.

freshh. 04-01-2020 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dres2011 (Post 746163)
I'm eligible from my employer to file for unemployment, but my concern is being a public charge and whether we can get unemployment from the state of Florida.

It's not going to affect us should we have means to legalize in the future.
Unemployment benefits are not means-tested public benefits and should not negatively affect a noncitizen's immigration status or result in a public charge bar to residency or other nonimmigrant status in the future. ... Notably absent from this list are state-funded programs and unemployment insurance.
- Source

jessebrenele 04-05-2020 01:47 PM

I really wouldn't invest in stocks. I'd rather buy a downsurge of electronics once the econ picks back up and resell it over the holidays

Nycgal111 04-08-2020 01:47 PM

Will it be a problem in the future? Like for us to apply for unemployment? I have never done it before but with everything that’s going on and not receiving a paycheck, I have bills to pay. I’m scared to file though and think it will hurt me in the future.