DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The News Room (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Rep. Joe Wilson-- A Herald of the Coming Immigration Wars (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=12606)

ECW 09-10-2009 12:27 AM

Rep. Joe Wilson-- A Herald of the Coming Immigration Wars

Quote:

It’s quite appropriate President Obama’s health care speech was interrupted by a heckler hung up on a single issue—illegal immigration. South Carolina Republican Rep. Joe Wilson yelled out “You lie!” after Obama promised his health care plan didn’t cover illegal immigrants. Then, he was booed in turn.
http://blogs.newamericamedia.org/nam...gration%20wars

trovales 09-10-2009 01:04 AM

Re: Rep. Joe Wilson-- A Herald of the Coming Immigration Wars

I've been thinking...we can't possibly hope to win reform using the old, tried tactics of 2003 (marching, protesting, etc.). In order to neutralize people like this, who are basically taking cheap shots at illegal immigrants calling them a WEIGHT to the system, we need a modern mobilization of ideas that rely of self-evident truths.

First, ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION is not so much a problem caused by illegal immigrants, but by a broken immigration system that EXPLOITS and stratifies our society into two- those in the shadows and those blinded by the light. This is a system that lacks accountability, enforceability, efficiency, or any respect to human rights whatsoever.

Let's face it- the anti-illegal immigrant crowd use cheap but effective tactics of fearmongering the population. They are the last resistance of a dying movement during the biggest demographic shift in the history of the U.S. Before the storm is over, is when is darkest.

If anything we could use this fool as leverage and pin him as the face of the anti illegal movement. Yelling "YOU LIE!!" to the POTUS lacks any form of civility, intelligence or moral certitude whatsoever.

Apparently the GOP knows this too, because he has issued an apology:

“This evening I let my emotions get the best of me when listening to the President’s remarks regarding the coverage of illegal immigrants in the health care bill. While I disagree with the President’s statement, my comments were inappropriate and regrettable. I extend sincere apologies to the President for this lack of civility.”

BS. The GOP doing damage control 1 hour too late.

2Face 09-10-2009 02:11 AM

Can't believe the immense HATRED some people in this country have for undocumented immigrants. It is absolutely disgusting to see this behavior especially from someone educated like this congressman. I feel so sad that they are hell bent on opposing giving health care to illegal immigrants even in a case of an EMERGENCY and life and death situation. This makes me feel like we aren't even considered human or equal. I have to applaud President Obama for facing this type of obstacle and fighting it head on in his speech to the Joint Session. Can't wait for health care reform to pass and finally CIR to take center stage. This despicable behavior by Rep. Wilson is foreshadowing the upcoming ugly and heated battle on immigration. It is going to be a good one. :-)

Dukem88 09-10-2009 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2Face (Post 141490)
Can't believe the immense HATRED some people in this country have for undocumented immigrants. It is absolutely disgusting to see this behavior especially from someone educated like this congressman. I feel so sad that they are hell bent on opposing giving health care to illegal immigrants even in a case of an EMERGENCY and life and death situation. This makes me feel like we aren't even considered human or equal. I have to applaud President Obama for facing this type of obstacle and fighting it head on in his speech to the Joint Session. Can't wait for health care reform to pass and finally CIR to take center stage. This despicable behavior by Rep. Wilson is foreshadowing the upcoming ugly and heated battle on immigration. It is going to be a good one. :-)

It's simple, "illegal" immigrants are the modern black people of the 1900-1960's. (don't get me wrong here, I know black people had it a lot worse before the 20th century)

It's very simple to understand the mentality, what's hard is to understand why someone thinks like that.

What sucks is that I know this whole health reform thing is going to look like a pebble compared to the magnitude of the Immigration debate. If the conservative liars of the country can come up with a hand full of lies that managed to get America fired up about something that's supposed to help everyone(except undocumented immigrants)... what the helllll are they going to come up with when the debate is about something A LOT of people are already fired up about?

It's gonna be all out war... but if the debate reaches the media (cnn, msnbc, foxnews, etc..) I think we can consider the battle won, well not necessarily won the way we want it to be, but we will definitely win a reform. Why? because I can't recall a time when a president brought up a major plan and it didn't pass one way or the other. Even if they butcher the bills and change everything around, they'll get it through. Look at the Bush administration for example, nobody agreed with 90% of the shit they came up with during his time, but everything they really wanted still managed to go through. The real question now is, does the government really want a immigration reform?

p.s. - I know the Bush's immigration reform is an example of something that failed to pass, but I honestly don't think they wanted it to pass in the first place. Because like I said, when something is important enough they have it all blown up on the media, and they push for it until it passes, no matter what.

VaeVictis 09-10-2009 12:53 PM

I found it interesting, in a bad way, how death panels, denying seniors medicare, etc. failed to provoke a response as intense as illegal immigration. When you can see your target of hatred, it makes things a lot easier, doesn't it? It brings a tangibility to the issue that you can't get with more abstract conjectures.

F*** Mr. Wilson.

darnat15 09-10-2009 01:07 PM

I tried to find Wilsons official page so I can tell him what I really think of that man. To bad the site is down....go figure
When its up....I encourage everybody to rant at the s.o.b

angeleno 09-10-2009 07:29 PM

I've been trying to get through to his office since Keith Olbermann identified the heckler right after the speech, but the phone lines are completely jammed.

angeleno 09-10-2009 07:42 PM

Also, you'll be happy to know that in less than 24 hours after this asswipe's rudeness, his Democratic opponent has raised almost $200,000.

SUCCESS

http://www.actblue.com/page/kossacks4miller

skysla 09-10-2009 09:43 PM

Actually, Wilson helped raise more than $200,000.

After the speech, the Democratic National Committee raised more than $1 million.
The Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee raised over $500,000.

I think Mr. Wilson can set a Guinness World Record as a person who raised the most money with the smallest number of words, "You lie!".

unthinkable 09-10-2009 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angeleno (Post 141529)
Also, you'll be happy to know that in less than 24 hours after this asswipe's rudeness, his Democratic opponent has raised almost $200,000.

SUCCESS

http://www.actblue.com/page/kossacks4miller

Now its way over 500,000 SUCCESS!!!!! :)

Quote:

Miller, who ran in 2008 without any help from national Democrats, lost to Wilson 46 to 54 percent. But with his newfound boost in popularity, his campaign has been given a new life. He tweeted Wednesday night: "55K raised, let's double THAT in 12 hours."