DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The News Room (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Top Democrats: 'The votes will be there’ for Biden’s embattled spending package (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=85141)

PapiChulo 09-21-2021 11:21 PM

Top Democrats: 'The votes will be there’ for Biden’s embattled spending package

Washington Examiner
Top Democrats: 'The votes will be there’ for Biden’s embattled spending

House Democrats will provide enough votes to pass a two-part spending package that is the centerpiece of President Joe Biden’s agenda, top party lawmakers said Tuesday.

Democratic Caucus Committee Chairman Hakeem Jeffries and Majority Leader Steny Hoyer said the House will be able to pass a $1.2 trillion infrastructure package as well as a second social welfare spending bill with a price tag as high as $3.5 trillion, despite pushback from party centrists.

The legislation has become the centerpiece of the Biden agenda, in particular, the “Build Back Better” social welfare bill that would provide a broad array of new government programs, including free universal preschool, free community college, paid family leave, expanded Medicare benefits, and much more.

“Failure is not an option,” Jeffries, a New York Democrat, told reporters in the Capitol. “The votes will be there for both the bipartisan infrastructure agreement and the Build Back Better plan.”

Moments later, Hoyer, a Maryland Democrat, repeated the pledge to reporters.

"I expect both of them to pass," Hoyer said.

The two leaders made the pledge despite an intraparty conflict over the cost and contents of the social welfare bill, as well as the timing of the vote on the infrastructure package.

Hoyer said Monday the House will uphold a promise made to party centrists to bring up the bipartisan infrastructure package on Sept. 27.

But liberal lawmakers who make up the majority of the Democratic Caucus say they want to pass the $3.5 trillion package first, before considering the infrastructure bill.

Jeffries said House Democrats are engaged in “ongoing discussions” with the Senate, where centrist Democrats are seeking to lower the cost of the $3.5 trillion package.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Hoyer told Democrats in an early Tuesday caucus meeting that they are negotiating for a number as close as possible to the $3.5 trillion.

“This message was emphasized by both the speaker, the majority leader, and the majority whip that we expect, as always, to find the highest common denominator amongst our caucus, in partnership with the Senate, because failure is not an option,” Jeffries said.

Democrats are facing pushback from centrist Sens. Joe Manchin of West Virginia and Kyrsten Sinema of Arizona, who say the $3.5 trillion spending package is too costly. Manchin has suggested he’ll only back as much as $1.5 trillion.

Both Manchin and Sinema have the power to block the bill from passing because the Senate is evenly split, and every Democratic vote is needed to pass the bill with a simple majority vote.

White House officials will visit House Democrats on Wednesday to discuss the two spending bills, Jeffries said. Biden is not expected to appear.

Jeffries said the House can pass the legislation by the Sept. 27 deadline, even though it’s less than a week away and Democrats can’t agree on either bill.

“Six days is an eternity in this place,” Jeffries said. “And we are going to get this done. We always do.”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/top-democ...155200940.html

PapiChulo 09-21-2021 11:22 PM

Re: Top Democrats: 'The votes will be there’ for Biden’s embattled spending package

just overrule the Parliamentarian, she's a fucking consultant for fucks sakes. who gives af?

i think these 2 bills are too big to fail, it's gonna pass after its all said and done.

just please in the name of Allah, just include something for the DACA population.

i hope the democrats exhaust all possible avenues, throw the kitchen sink at this shit.

20 years in the making. let's fucking go!!!

Afridi786 09-21-2021 11:40 PM

Re: Top Democrats: 'The votes will be there’ for Biden’s embattled spending package

I mean they could conceivably ram their bill through last minute like the GOP and not even give the Parliamentarian a chance to make a shitty ruling.

Copper 09-21-2021 11:47 PM

I love how they say “failure is not an option” but so far everything in this administration and Congress has been a failure.

PapiChulo 09-22-2021 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Copper (Post 764124)
I love how they say “failure is not an option” but so far everything in this administration and Congress has been a failure.

theoretically, i think both bills will pass, but if there's nothing included for DACA, then they can tank both bills for all i care. i don't care about other issues.. only ours.

vft1008 09-22-2021 12:48 AM

Count on Manchin and sinENEMA to throw multiple wrenches into the machinery.

Imthexman 09-22-2021 01:22 AM

If they don't get their sht together soon there will be huge pressure to pass the infrastructure bill first, and if that happens Manchin and Sinema are just going to ignore the reconciliation bill and screw us. Is all or nothing, now or never kind of situation.

Outsider626 09-22-2021 01:51 AM

Votes will be there...

without us.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/ActiveUnru...am-max-1mb.gif

cooltalker 09-22-2021 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Outsider626 (Post 764128)

That's probably what's going to happen. There was no chance for us. Daca forever unless SC kills it after this administration is risking renewals by appealing Hanen's decision.

Got_Daca 09-22-2021 08:00 AM

Parliamentarian wasnt elected for God's sake

Dems got elected

Dems need to pass whatever they want