DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Anyone has a sibling who has petitioned them? (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=83712)

JavierHTx 07-03-2019 06:45 PM

Anyone has a sibling who has petitioned them?

Just curious. I have a 21yo brother who is American but I heard it would take years before I would receive anything. I suppose I don’t have nothing to lose except money.

Demise 07-03-2019 07:51 PM

Re: Anyone has a sibling who has petitioned them?

Around 13 years, longer if you're from Mexico, Philippines, or India.

You will need either I-601A or 245(i) grandfathering. In order to file I-601A you'll need a USC or LPR, Spouse or/and Parent(s).

It is generally quicker to have the parents adjust status (provided they entered legally) and have them petition for you in F2B than wait for an F4 priority date.

JavierHTx 07-03-2019 08:22 PM

13 years? Yikes

Yea I’d have a better chance just waiting for my mom to get her residency next week and then waiting for her to become a citizen.

Malign0n 07-03-2019 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JavierHTx (Post 738691)
13 years? Yikes

Yea I’d have a better chance just waiting for my mom to get her residency next week and then waiting for her to become a citizen.

If they pass the DREAM Act in 2021, you’d have been a citizen for 6 years, still waiting for your priority date to come around. Priority date in 2032 (assuming 13 years) from NOW

2MoreYears 07-03-2019 09:23 PM

Mom is USC she petitioned me back in 05. Last time I checked they're processing petitions made in 1999.

JavierHTx 07-03-2019 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2MoreYears (Post 738693)
Mom is USC she petitioned me back in 05. Last time I checked they're processing petitions made in 1999.

Shouldn’t it be fast? 20 years seems like overkill

2MoreYears 07-04-2019 12:24 AM

One would think so. But thanks to the sheer number of petitions from MX nationals Mexico has the slowest processing timeframes for for F1 category.

Not enough visas allocated for Mexicans.

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...july-2019.html

IamAman 07-04-2019 10:54 AM

I had a petition done for me and it took about 13 years to become current. It wasn't fun watching the dates because sometimes it would go really fast - skipping 2 or 3 months at a time then it would slow down to 2 weeks and a couple of times, it even jumped back 2 years in a "retrogression".

Should you do it? I say absolutely. You don't know what will happen in the future. When I got mine, I would have laughed if someone said I couldn't find a way to get legal in 13 years, but here I am.

In my case , I haven't gone through with adjusting of status though because the current government has made it clear that anybody with an existing final order is a target and I don't want to go into a building without knowing I can walk back out. In 13 years, you never know.

Demise 07-04-2019 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JavierHTx (Post 738691)
13 years? Yikes

If you're unmarried then she can petition for you as soon as she gets her green card.

F2B category (unmarried children of LPRs over 21) is backlogged 6 years. F1 (unmarried children of USCs over 21) is backlogged 7 years and you'd have to wait for 5 years before she can naturalize.

After she naturalizes you'll be "upgraded" from F2B to F1 but you can also decline the upgrade should it put you behind meaning that you'll send a letter to NVC stating that you'd rather remain in F2B rather than F1.

Also, if you have an employer willing to petition for you, all categories are not backlogged except for persons born in Mainland China (i.e. not Macau or Hong Kong) and India. You can always have your employer do an EB-3 and use your LPR mother for purposes of I-601A.

Also finally, if you're from a country that can play in the DV Lottery you can also try playing in that and if you're drawn a winner you can also do I-601A and use your mother as a qualifying relative...

JavierHTx 07-04-2019 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demise (Post 738706)
If you're unmarried then she can petition for you as soon as she gets her green card.

F2B category (unmarried children of LPRs over 21) is backlogged 6 years. F1 (unmarried children of USCs over 21) is backlogged 7 years and you'd have to wait for 5 years before she can naturalize.

After she naturalizes you'll be "upgraded" from F2B to F1 but you can also decline the upgrade should it put you behind meaning that you'll send a letter to NVC stating that you'd rather remain in F2B rather than F1.

Also, if you have an employer willing to petition for you, all categories are not backlogged except for persons born in Mainland China (i.e. not Macau or Hong Kong) and India. You can always have your employer do an EB-3 and use your LPR mother for purposes of I-601A.

Also finally, if you're from a country that can play in the DV Lottery you can also try playing in that and if you're drawn a winner you can also do I-601A and use your mother as a qualifying relative...

Thank you for all this information.

Thank you everyone.