DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Any credit cards that don't ask for citizenship? (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=83716)

IamAman 07-08-2019 12:56 PM

Any credit cards that don't ask for citizenship?

I've had a credit card with one of the major banks for a long time but don't remember them asking for citizenship status but now I've noticed all the big ones ask for it, and if you say no, they want to know if you're a PR or Non-resident and if you answer that, they'll want to know what country you were born in. It seems pretty intrusive and I'm not sure how they use this information or if it's really required that they ask.

Any that don't ask? Any idea?

Malign0n 07-08-2019 01:57 PM

Re: Any credit cards that don't ask for citizenship?

I don’t think there aren’t any that don’t ask that information. Mostly it’s due to federal anti-laundering laws and PATRIOT Act asking companies to track that information.

IamAman 07-08-2019 03:19 PM

It seems I'm SOL there once I get rid of my current one. Although debit card should be good for a while.

FeeFiFoFum 07-08-2019 05:43 PM

I've have a discover it card. I dont recall filling out a citizenship question.
PM me for more details.

Quote:

Originally Posted by IamAman (Post 738744)
I've had a credit card with one of the major banks for a long time but don't remember them asking for citizenship status but now I've noticed all the big ones ask for it, and if you say no, they want to know if you're a PR or Non-resident and if you answer that, they'll want to know what country you were born in. It seems pretty intrusive and I'm not sure how they use this information or if it's really required that they ask.

Any that don't ask? Any idea?

jwxie518 07-08-2019 06:52 PM

Fuck Wagon Fargo definitely needs citizenship. Otherwise most of the credit cards don't.

IamAman 07-08-2019 10:31 PM

It's not so much that they NEED citizenship because they have options for PR and NR aliens but then the questions keep going down the rabbit hole of wanting to know WHICH country one is from. Unfortunately, not all immigrants are created equal and I'm curious what happens if you're from the "wrong" country.

In my own case, I've had pretty decent credit over the years so if it wasn't for that question, I would easily qualify but I'll do without a credit card again now. Life is hard enough when you're not progressing but the regressing back really destroys morale.

2Face 07-09-2019 07:54 AM

That is news to me tbh with you. I don’t remember being asked for citizenship. I’ve got all major credit cards (some of which I applied for recently.) What cards asked you for that?

JayR9 07-10-2019 01:03 AM

I didn't have issue with getting credit cards from Chase, Discover, and AMEX

IamAman 07-10-2019 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2Face (Post 738804)
That is news to me tbh with you. I don’t remember being asked for citizenship. I’ve got all major credit cards (some of which I applied for recently.) What cards asked you for that?

This was not something that used to be asked even a few years ago. I used to get bombarded by credit cards offers all the time and eventually just kept one. Just this week though I tried Discover, Wells Fargo, and Capital One. They all ask if you're a citizen. If you say no, it asks whether you're a PR or Non-resident. With either answer, they will ask you which country you're a citizen of.

It doesn't mean that you won't get a credit card (that I don't know), but this is not a question I want to answer so that's why I'm asking.

Anybody know whether credit union credit cards are nicer?

Malign0n 07-10-2019 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IamAman (Post 738867)
This was not something that used to be asked even a few years ago. I used to get bombarded by credit cards offers all the time and eventually just kept one. Just this week though I tried Discover, Wells Fargo, and Capital One. They all ask if you're a citizen. If you say no, it asks whether you're a PR or Non-resident. With either answer, they will ask you which country you're a citizen of.

It doesn't mean that you won't get a credit card (that I don't know), but this is not a question I want to answer so that's why I'm asking.

Anybody know whether credit union credit cards are nicer?

Just checked with mine. Asked the same. Citizen, Resident, Non-resident alien