DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   Taking Action (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Update on the DREAM Act (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=10071)

juanybear17 03-23-2009 07:40 PM

Update on the DREAM Act

Hey everyone,

For those who don't know me I'm Juan Gomez, and I've been a member for almost two years. For those who do know me sorry for the long hiatus, but its time to get things rolling again and I know i can depend on you guys.

First of all, I'm at Georgetown now which means I have the capitol at my disposal. My lawyers and I have been in contact with Durbin and Senator Reid. Today I met with Senator Reid's staff and we had a strategy meeting concerning the DREAM Act.

It was supposed to be reintroduced tomorrow, but events like the AIG have postponed it until Thursday. There were confident that it would be introduced this week though. I will be introduced as a stand alone, but unfortunately they told me that what the Senators are really pushing for is CIR. They are using DREAM as a catalyst for further immigration reform. They want it to encourage the house to revisit CIR over the summer and then hopefully a bill will pass by early fall. The month I got was September.

I know this may be a bit of a blow, but experience has shown us that it was not going to be that easy. They told me that the time to organize is now. Starting with thanking Senator Durbin for introducing the bill. Then concentrated efforts aimed at specific Senators we could sway (they'll tell me which Senators are on the fence). They also thought demonstrations were great if we spaced them out right in the coming months.

One last thing, I'll be meeting Harry Reid soon and they thought it would be a good idea to mention some DREAM students from Nevada. So if anyone here is from Nevada and doesn't mind sending me a short story about their struggles as DREAM students I would appreciate it.

I'll do my best to utilize resources here on the hill.

Airmarshall 03-23-2009 07:53 PM

Re: Update on the DREAM Act

Good to hear from you Juan.....thanks for the update. However, I have a question for you. When they say "what the Senators are really pushing for is CIR. They are using DREAM as a catalyst for further immigration reform" what exactly does that mean? Are they saying they are having trouble convincing enough of their colleagues to get this bill passed?
I'm just curious; we're still focused on doing all we can but that comment could really shed some light on where things really stand in washington.

Blue12 03-23-2009 07:54 PM

Helllo Juany,

First of all thank you for taking the time and informing the Dream Act community of this vital piece of news and for your efforts in talking to people like Senator Reid.

My question is to you (any members) in the hill if they are only considering students from Nevada because I live in Los Angeles, California. Lastly I onlly need two more years of community college to transfer to a college. Do i qualify for the Dream Act eventhough I am in communtiy college? I have averge grades and I am part of a campus club.

thank you for your time.

juanybear17 03-23-2009 08:07 PM

What I meant with the comment was that they are not sure if they can pass DREAM as a stand alone, but it is definitely the least controversial piece of immigration reform. They don't want to run the risk of passing DREAM in the next couple of months and then giving up on CIR for two more years. So they want the whole package. I'm not saying we should give up on trying to have DREAM passed alone, but that is what the staff told me.

I asked for students from Nevada because Reid is the Senator of that state. It was just information the staff wanted me to get so I can appeal to his home state. As long as you graduated high school, were here before the age of 16, have been here for 5 years, and meet other qualifications then DREAM will help you. In fact, getting a two year degree gives you permanent residence.

dado123 03-23-2009 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juanybear17 (Post 121975)
What I meant with the comment was that they are not sure if they can pass DREAM as a stand alone, but it is definitely the least controversial piece of immigration reform. They don't want to run the risk of passing DREAM in the next couple of months and then giving up on CIR for two more years. So they want the whole package. I'm not saying we should give up on trying to have DREAM passed alone, but that is what the staff told me.

I asked for students from Nevada because Reid is the Senator of that state. It was just information the staff wanted me to get so I can appeal to his home state. As long as you graduated high school, were here before the age of 16, have been here for 5 years, and meet other qualifications then DREAM will help you. In fact, getting a two year degree gives you permanent residence.

They must be realistic though, can they get CIR in this economic political environment? Point is: dream stands better chances for passage as a stand alone bill.

lilbawler2001 03-23-2009 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dado123 (Post 121992)
They must be realistic though, can they get CIR in this economic political environment? Point is: dream stands better chances for passage as a stand alone bill.

Dream doesn't have to be a stand alone bill, it can be added on to any other germane bill if that's what they want to do.

dado123 03-24-2009 02:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilbawler2001 (Post 121998)
Dream doesn't have to be a stand alone bill, it can be added on to any other germane bill if that's what they want to do.

It does not have to be a stand alone bill, it can be attached to many Germane bills other than CIR! (I.E. Defense Authorization Bill, National Service Bill, Education Reform,). Depending on a senator's political view they will argue whether Dream is germane to a certain bill. That said, I think dream stands a better chance of passage not attached to CIR! CIR is has too many variables to consider: 12 million people, border security, family unification, worker place enforcement, etc. I am just thinking rationally, trying to enhance my livelihood.

day_dreamin' 03-24-2009 03:43 AM

I agree, not to be pessimist but I don't think DREAM stands a chance if attached to CIR. Is there anything we all can do to chance this? i.e. sign, petition etc.?

A.Spero 03-24-2009 06:20 AM

I'm re-posting:
Quote:

Ah, it's that time of the season again. When guest / lurkers suddenly come out of the woodwork to sign up in droves as newbies. This can only mean that action is imminent pertaining to the movement of DREAM.

First of all, welcome.

Second, I hope everyone is gearing up for a call in session to your Congressional Representatives at the DC offices. Please call, starting tomorrow (March 24th). We currently have some DreamACTivist.org members who regularly post on this site, on the ground lobbying for the DREAM Act along with the USSA LegCon at DC. Support your fellow DREAMers by calling your Senators and Representatives tomorrow by asking them to support the DREAM Act.

I'm asking that everyone, instead of debating CIR vs. DREAM, to put in the effort to be active. It's disheartening and mindboggling to see people claiming that they've already given up, when the battle has yet to even begin. We have no control on the specifics (when it'll be put on the floor, if it will be attached to a certain bill, or what changes will be addressed to the provisions [which btw will probably be the original form pre-Oct 2007 / with no age cap]) And one can debate/speculate it to death how they feel DREAM should be progressed through for the best method of passage, spanning 100 pages of thread, it won't do us all any good. One can say how this needs to be taken out or that needs to be added, or it needs to be attached to this bill, etc. Ask yourselves if that actually does any good.

What we do have control on is positive exposure pertaining to the DREAM Act. What will help us, is our voice being heard by Congressional aides at the DC offices, asking for our Senators/Reps for their support of the DREAM Act. Please go HERE if you are unfamiliar with calling your Congressmen/Congresswomen.

Also please don't forget to involve yourself on other projects related to DREAM such as the DREAM Act petition as well as the change.org letter campaign which can be found HERE.

Shout out to OPTIMIST, where are you when I need you?
We should be less worried with what we can NOT control and more concerned with what we can focus on. You (generally speaking) or I, am not Durbin, Reid, Pelosi etc.

We aren't calling the shots on when to bring it on to the floor, what to attach it to, and what stipulations to add or leave out. Nor do we have the collective lobbying power to demand otherwise. We simply have to face that fact, and instead work on what we can have an impact on.

deftbeta 03-24-2009 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A.Spero (Post 122092)
We simply have to face that fact, and instead work on what we can have an impact on.

Point taken...ppl quit discussing and start calling / emailing...