DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Internships for undocumented students in college. (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=20630)

unplugg3d 03-07-2011 07:00 PM

Internships for undocumented students in college.

I am currently in a 4-year college. My degree requires me to do an internship for any company (paid or unpaid). I was wondering if anyone knew anything about internships for us undocumented students. I heard it was probably easier for me to get an unpaid internship since paid ones ask for a SSN (which I don't have) and require you to be under their payroll.

I have been looking around the college websites and most of them require you to be a US citizen. Anyone know of any websites or places where I can look at unpaid internships or companies who are willing to help undocumented students with internships?

obsolete101891 03-09-2011 02:07 PM

Re: Internships for undocumented students in college.

Nobody can give this man some advice?? I'd help you but unfortunately I have no info related to that. But what I can advise you to do is go to the search forum button and try there. I'm pretty sure your not the first to ask this.

unplugg3d 03-09-2011 05:25 PM

thats okay. I will search as you and see what I can find.
Thank you!

2Face 03-09-2011 05:38 PM

I'm not sure myself of official ways of getting unpaid internships. Which field are you in and what kind of internship are you looking for? I was thinking about just asking your friends if they know some business owners that you may intern for.

fl_dreamer 03-10-2011 01:31 AM

I am in the same boat. Looking for Finance/accounting internships!

2Face 03-10-2011 03:15 AM

^^ Check out www.internships.com I was able to find a few UNPAID internships in Accounting. However, you might want to contact the employers to see if you need work authorization for these internships.

unplugg3d 03-10-2011 04:59 PM

I am doing International Business/ Marketing internships. My dad is friends with some CEO of a company that has his own businesses. I talked to him and he said he could help but i have to go meet him next week. I guess as long as the owner of the business/company is OK with it, you can get it credited for in college.

2Face 03-10-2011 08:33 PM

Yeah, that is the best way it seems right now. You have to go through connections. Maybe he will also be willing to pay you for it. Think about it and proceed with the opportunity...may just become a paid internship.

ivydreamer 03-11-2011 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unplugg3d (Post 212153)
I have been looking around the college websites and most of them require you to be a US citizen. Anyone know of any websites or places where I can look at unpaid internships or companies who are willing to help undocumented students with internships?

It would help if we knew what you're interests are. You can pretty much do any unpaid internship - it's essentially volunteer. If they ask for an SSN, just provide your ITN. Just don't ever claim to be citizen - esp. on any paperwork, but by that same token theres no harm in applying! Just as long as you dont fill out an I-9 or anything were you falsely claim you're a citizen, you should be fine.

You never know what doors will open, if you don't at least try knocking.

unplugg3d 03-14-2011 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ivydreamer (Post 212317)
It would help if we knew what you're interests are. You can pretty much do any unpaid internship - it's essentially volunteer. If they ask for an SSN, just provide your ITN. Just don't ever claim to be citizen - esp. on any paperwork, but by that same token theres no harm in applying! Just as long as you dont fill out an I-9 or anything were you falsely claim you're a citizen, you should be fine.

You never know what doors will open, if you don't at least try knocking.

Yeah that sounds pretty good. I am an International Business major with Marketing and Spanish concentrations.

I have to do internship in any of those areas... like business, management, spanish, marketing, etc.