DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The News Room (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Congress is trying to run away from immigration. This fall may not let them. (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=82616)

PhelonOne87 08-10-2018 10:25 AM

Congress is trying to run away from immigration. This fall may not let them.

After two dramatic defeats of immigration legislation this year, Congress left for August recess eager to put the issue in the rearview mirror, with consequential midterm elections looming in November.

But it might return to an unavoidable storm nonetheless.

Major court decisions are looming on the fate of the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, a popular policy that protects from deportation young undocumented immigrants who came to the US as children that President Donald Trump is seeking to end.

On top of the looming DACA situation, Congress must pass government funding by the end of September, and Trump is pushing for more money for his border wall. The President has even threatened a government shutdown if he does not get the funding for the wall, though congressional leaders have said Trump apparently agreed to wait until after the midterm elections for that battle.

Throw in a fight over the next Supreme Court justice and the House Republican majority seemingly in serious jeopardy, and lawmakers may be returning to a mess they can't escape.

"This is the perfect storm of immigration that's coming to the doorsteps of the Republican Party, and they are not prepared," said Ali Noorani, executive director of the pro-immigration advocacy group National Immigration Forum.

The Senate and the House suffered bruising battles earlier this year trying to preserve DACA after Trump announced last September that he would end it.

The issue is likely to reach the Supreme Court regardless. But if those conflicting orders were to happen in the next month, as is increasingly likely, it could fast-track the issue for consideration this fall.

"As much as Republicans would love to avoid the topic of immigration in Congress, the fall of 2018 is lining up to be an epic immigration debate," Noorani said.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/10/polit...ess/index.html

isk84life 08-10-2018 10:53 AM

Re: Congress is trying to run away from immigration. This fall may not let them.

What’s the point of bolding the whole thing lol. Very insightful article, thanks tho!

PhelonOne87 08-10-2018 11:29 AM

Re: Congress is trying to run away from immigration. This fall may not let them.

The point is I do as I please lol

DogJuiceMan 08-10-2018 11:29 AM

Hopefully this time around there will be more support for a fix, though if I hold my breathe and wait...

https://i.imgflip.com/2fn2ul.jpg

NotADreamerPerSe 08-10-2018 11:57 AM

Those bitches can't run away from us forever.

skyisthelimit 08-10-2018 12:15 PM

Hanen will issue injunction before the end of this month or after end of September when government are funded and Judge Kavanaugh is confirmed?

Or issue the injunction between now and September but with an effective date few months into the future?

Which is more likely case?

BestBefore1984 08-10-2018 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by isk84life (Post 716798)
What’s the point of bolding the whole thing lol. Very insightful article, thanks tho!

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhelonOne87 (Post 716802)
The point is I do as I please lol

I agree!

The point is, everything in a language is important. The difference between utilizing a definite article (the), indefinite article (a, an) or the absence of one (null) is significant enough that it can change the meaning of what you’re attempt to say. Prepositions are vital to the spacial recognition of how we describe our world (with, on, at, under, over, etc). Nouns? If you have no nouns you have no language. Adjectives? If you have absense of adjectives, you have a bland world where a cat is just a cat and not a big fluffy one. Verbs? Forget about it. That’s the brain of a language, without it you’re as dumb as a Neanderthal. For that reason, highlight everything! When you speak, highlight it emphatically, make it loud bold and beautiful like the wall!

MIdreamer 08-10-2018 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NotADreamerPerSe (Post 716804)
Those bitches can't run away from us forever.

They don't need to run forever, just need to run long enough until we die of old age.

NotADreamerPerSe 08-10-2018 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MIdreamer (Post 716810)
They don't need to run forever, just need to run long enough until we die of old age.

Well, I never said anything would happen in
our lifetime. Some day, maybe a hundred years from now a new generation of Dreamers will see a miracle happen.

DogJuiceMan 08-10-2018 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NotADreamerPerSe (Post 716812)
Well, I never said anything would happen in
our lifetime. Some day, maybe a hundred years from now a new generation of Dreamers will see a miracle happen.

If Trump gets his wall all congress would have to do is run out the clock and the dreamer problem solves itself.