DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   Suggestions (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Leniency in 'Other Topics' (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=38719)

SK18 02-10-2013 10:01 PM

Leniency in 'Other Topics'

Can we have some sort of leniency on the rules of 'Other Topics'? Can you mods please go easy on the banning/locking threads in that section? Is this possible?

Since people go in there to chill/pass time, there will always be a level of disarray in there. As long as it doesn't get over the top.

Also one member's comments shouldn't lock a thread.

sidynasty 02-10-2013 10:09 PM

Re: Leniency in 'Other Topics'

I like this idea. WE at the OTHER TOPICS sub-forum have become quite fond of each other. We are close enough (as far as forums go) that we talk on a daily basis. We tease and joke with each other. Albeit sometimes rather cruelly, but its all in good fun. We feel like a mini DAP family and we act the part. You'll see the usual suspects in all the threads. So please, just give us a warning at the very least before any thread gets shut down and we'll deal with the character that needs dealing with.

Nick. I love you. And thank you for doing all this wonderful work that has allowed us to connect with other people in the same situation. Even if they are 3000 miles away and I have to fly to DC just to get coffee with her.

Nick 02-10-2013 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SK18 (Post 426130)
Can we have some sort of leniency on the rules of 'Other Topics'? Can you mods please go easy on the banning/locking threads in that section? Is this possible?

Since people go in there to chill/pass time, there will always be a level of disarray in there. As long as it doesn't get over the top.

Also one member's comments shouldn't lock a thread.

How would you define over the top? Where would you draw the line? And specifically what part of the rules should we make more lenient there?

We're open to ideas, but we do need a rational.

Nick 02-10-2013 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sidynasty (Post 426147)
I like this idea. WE at the OTHER TOPICS sub-forum have become quite fond of each other. We are close enough (as far as forums go) that we talk on a daily basis. We tease and joke with each other. Albeit sometimes rather cruelly, but its all in good fun. We feel like a mini DAP family and we act the part. You'll see the usual suspects in all the threads. So please, just give us a warning at the very least before any thread gets shut down and we'll deal with the character that needs dealing with.

Nick. I love you. And thank you for doing all this wonderful work that has allowed us to connect with other people in the same situation. Even if they are 3000 miles away and I have to fly to DC just to get coffee with her.

You have to appreciate that it is downright impossible for mods to tell the difference between a tongue in cheek insult between two mates and somebody being an asshole. And who is to say that the person will hold back when addressing strangers in Other Topics?

Also, the mods generally take action on "reported" posts. In other words, somebody had to find the discourse offensive for the mods to take action.

SK18 02-10-2013 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick (Post 426156)
How would you define over the top? Where would you draw the line? And specifically what part of the rules should we make more lenient there?

We're open to ideas, but we do need a rational.

The locking of threads. What a certain member did was unacceptable, racial slurs are NOT okay even if exchanged through friends on the forum but that doesn't mean the whole thread needs to be locked. Can we open flyin' and ivy's thread? We will be good.

I think that's the only thing. The infraction process/banning, you guys have been handling well.

Great work, Nick.

Pianoswithoutfaith 02-10-2013 10:31 PM

Well, i think what they mean is have a subsection where the rules do not apply. Much like how some certain forums have tags that every knows. For example, in some forums, if you are about to post stuff that is not work material you would put NWS (Not work Safe) or Not Life Safe (NLS) I think what they want is an area where its a no rules subjection. I think this is the best way to filter the main boards from trolls, shitposting and overall stuff you as mods don't want to deal with.

Whats happening here is that because of DACA, lots and lots more people are posting here and the majority are people who are transferring or expanding from forums online where rules are not strictly followed.

There this forum I go to that we uses tags, if I put a SERIOUS tag then every rule in the forum is follow and enforced through suspensions and bans. But if I take the tag out, then no rules go and only main basic ones are follow like spoilers, NWS, NLS, ect but everything goes.

I think we should make it where its an offense if you posts someone's else information because there needs to be a sense of security.

sidynasty 02-10-2013 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick (Post 426164)
You have to appreciate that it is downright impossible for mods to tell the difference between a tongue in cheek insult between two mates and somebody being an asshole. And who is to say that the person will hold back when addressing strangers in Other Topics?

Also, the mods generally take action on "reported" posts. In other words, somebody had to find the discourse offensive for the mods to take action.

I understand what you mean and am in complete agreement with you.

There were some posts that I'm sure were flagged down by others and those ultimately ended in him getting banned. However, the threads (that were completely within the rules of the forum) got shut down because of him too. And I understand you guys aren't suppose to know who we are and all that, but in the same way, the one user doesn't represent the entire thread either. Plus, there were only 2 threads that we all posted in anyway. Ivycali's "Describe" thread and Flyin's "Love" thread. We (as a group) hardly ventured off into other threads. Thanks for listening!

Nick 02-10-2013 10:35 PM

Quote:

I think this is the best way to filter the main boards from trolls, shitposting and overall stuff you as mods don't want to deal with.
Another way to filter shitposting is to not allow it on our boards.

Lets not forget why we are here. The Dream Act hasn't passed yet, we have real work to do and real problems to deal with.

cajeta21 02-10-2013 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick (Post 426188)
Another way to filter shitposting is to not allow it on our boards.

Lets not forget why we are here. The Dream Act hasn't passed yet, we have real work to do and real problems to deal with.

If I may, I totally agree with you, but isn't that the reason for the "Other Topics" board? It's like a place to hang out with all the people that are fighting for the same cause.

Nick 02-10-2013 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sidynasty (Post 426182)
I understand what you mean and am in complete agreement with you.

There were some posts that I'm sure were flagged down by others and those ultimately ended in him getting banned. However, the threads (that were completely within the rules of the forum) got shut down because of him too. And I understand you guys aren't suppose to know who we are and all that, but in the same way, the one user doesn't represent the entire thread either. Plus, there were only 2 threads that we all posted in anyway. Ivycali's "Describe" thread and Flyin's "Love" thread. We (as a group) hardly ventured off into other threads. Thanks for listening!

I suspect the thread were problem stops, veered completely of topic, or any number of other reasons. Bottom line is that you can always start a new thread, as long as they maintain a level of civility a moderator has no reason to step in.

As far as the ban, I'm not sure which user you are referring to, but I've yet to see a reason to reverse a decision of our current moderators. I do not think I deserve that authority.