DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Any college students that applied for the California Dream Act Financial aid? (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=75475)

2H2F 01-14-2017 09:39 PM

Any college students that applied for the California Dream Act Financial aid?

Any college students that applied for the California Dream Act Financial aid/ Cal- Grant and if so what was the outcome. I'm entering my first semester at CSULB and tuition is crazy expensive.. just wondering if anyone has any advice on how I may go about this.. I'm willing to use the school loan and pay it down the road also

fishcakes 01-14-2017 10:54 PM

Re: Any college students that applied for the California Dream Act Financial aid?

I've been applying to it for the past three years and I've always been approved due to my family's income. As long as you give them all the information (especially the tax information) and you fit the criteria (GPA, income, etc.) then you should be approved.

There's not really much advice to give since your financial aid is determined by your college. You should really talk to a financial aid officer about financial aid and see if CSULB has a club or organization for undocumented students on-campus. They'll be able to give you way better information such as whether the college gives grants to undocumented students and what your options are.

I think UCs are also starting to give school loans to AB540 students but unfortunately you wouldn't be eligible. You can't get school loans if I remember correctly - only private ones though you should be eligible for work study if you have EAD. All I get from my UC school are...

* Calgrant (covers tuition fully)
* AB540 grants (covers the international fee - since we're still considered international or something? Never really understood this)
* UC grant

I've also been offered work study and a UC loan but that's pretty much it. You can try finding an on-campus job but they're usually looking for students for work study and limit your hours. So you can look for jobs outside of campus if you need more hours.

lemonlilly 01-16-2017 02:40 AM

Re: Any college students that applied for the California Dream Act Financial aid?

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2H2F (Post 596476)
Any college students that applied for the California Dream Act Financial aid/ Cal- Grant and if so what was the outcome. I'm entering my first semester at CSULB and tuition is crazy expensive.. just wondering if anyone has any advice on how I may go about this.. I'm willing to use the school loan and pay it down the road also

I used this to get through undergrad. It helped me immensely. I have 0 debt.

Definitely fill it you. Review the requirements and get your documents in order and submit as early as you can.

If you get approved, you will be noticed before your semester begins. The money is generally disbursed for an entire year, after the semester begins.

You need to apply for each year you plan to attend.

2H2F 01-16-2017 05:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lemonlilly (Post 596565)
I used this to get through undergrad. It helped me immensely. I have 0 debt.

Definitely fill it you. Review the requirements and get your documents in order and submit as early as you can.

If you get approved, you will be noticed before your semester begins. The money is generally disbursed for an entire year, after the semester begins.

You need to apply for each year you plan to attend.

It will only cover the tuition right.. it will not cover things such as books, parking permit etc correct?

peachy 01-16-2017 01:11 PM

California Dream Act along with my UC covered my tuition, dorm and food during my years living on campus and when I moved off campus they gave me an extra ~$2,000 a quarter, which amounted to ~$700 a month. Just enough to cover my rent and then some.

As for books and parking permit, your school may have programs to help fund that. As a student, those programs shouldn't look into your residency status. Maybe your tax returns and income bracket? I got a $200 book stipend a quarter through those programs.

2H2F 01-17-2017 04:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peachy (Post 596575)
California Dream Act along with my UC covered my tuition, dorm and food during my years living on campus and when I moved off campus they gave me an extra ~$2,000 a quarter, which amounted to ~$700 a month. Just enough to cover my rent and then some.

As for books and parking permit, your school may have programs to help fund that. As a student, those programs shouldn't look into your residency status. Maybe your tax returns and income bracket? I got a $200 book stipend a quarter through those programs.

wow that's awesome !
were you dorming in campus or off campus?
and also do you think it was based of having a high gpa or simply just meeting the basica CA Dream Act Criteria.. thanks..

lemonlilly 01-17-2017 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2H2F (Post 596566)
It will only cover the tuition right.. it will not cover things such as books, parking permit etc correct?

Yea, only tuition.

I paid for books and parking out of pocket. For books, I bought them used or rented them off Amazon. It was significantly cheaper this way. For parking, I just paid for it each semester but I know my school had a waiver you could apply to.

Talk to a counselor so they can direct you to an appropriate group. Or look up a Dreamer group for LB. The school I went to had such a group and though I did not interact, I know they had great resources to offer.

Lastly, as far as housing, I lived on my own. I was working fill time while going to school.

peachy 01-18-2017 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2H2F (Post 596616)
wow that's awesome !
were you dorming in campus or off campus?
and also do you think it was based of having a high gpa or simply just meeting the basica CA Dream Act Criteria.. thanks..

I was dorming on campus, and I'm not sure what the criteria was. I know two of my friends had received similar packages as well, one of them who was a DACA recipient.

david87 01-19-2017 03:49 AM

I was granted $7000 for the semester only problem was that I was too old to receive it. The cut off age is 28.

libertarian1776 01-19-2017 03:57 AM

yup, i got $6k for my junior year.