DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   New Members (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Finally tapping in, embrace me lol (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=81167)

am1993 03-01-2018 09:02 PM

Finally tapping in, embrace me lol

Hi guys!

Hope you guys are good. My name's Agnes! I've been a lurker here for about 3 years and finally thought I would say hello :) Better late than never right? Anyways so my situation is a little different from a lot of people. I came to the United States when I was 11 (freshly 24 now).

Unfortunately, I missed out on DACA privilege by about 2 months, (I didn't even know I was undocumented until I had to file something with Homeland Security; another long story). Yup, I checked out on all the requirements, except for the part that I had to be undocumented before June 15, 2012. Bummer! But this didn't stop me! I went on to college and graduated last year.

Now i'm dealing with life after graduation and finding ways to make money without a social. In college I was able to get by because I live in a state that gives undocumented people a lot of financial aid, which was a huge weight off my shoulders.

Since i've pretty much grown up here most of my life, It will always be where I call home. Obviously I don't want to leave and be banned to seek opportunities elsewhere, so I was wondering what are some creative things you guys did before DACA came along? I'd kindly appreciate your responses!

Thanks and can't wait to hear from you guys :)

BeansDreamtoo21 03-01-2018 09:15 PM

Re: Finally tapping in, embrace me lol

Hello there, fellow young left out dreamer of 2012!!

am1993 03-02-2018 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeansDreamtoo21 (Post 695535)
Hello there, fellow young left out dreamer of 2012!!

Heeyyyyy :)

BestBefore1984 03-02-2018 03:07 PM

Hello Agnes. Welcome to the forum.

Are you from european descent?

sldkfj 03-02-2018 04:40 PM

Open up a business or work as a self contractor.

See if you can find a small family business that is willing to hire you without documents.

Do not use fake or somebody else documentation. Under this administration that is the reason why you get criminal charges and eventual deportation.

Only real solution is marriage. DACA fix is probably dead this year.

Good luck

DreamerSD23 03-02-2018 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by am1993 (Post 695534)
Hi guys!

Hope you guys are good. My name's Agnes! I've been a lurker here for about 3 years and finally thought I would say hello :) Better late than never right? Anyways so my situation is a little different from a lot of people. I came to the United States when I was 11 (freshley 24 now).

Unfortunately, I missed out on DACA privilege by about 2 months, (I didn't even know I was undocumented until I had to file something with Homeland Security; another long story). Yup, I checked out on all the requirements, except for the part that I had to be undocumented before June 15, 2012. Bummer! But this didn't stop me! I went on to college and graduated last year.

Now i'm dealing with life after graduation and finding ways to make money without a social. In college I was able to get by because I live in a state that gives undocumented people a lot of financial aid, which was a huge weight off my shoulders.

Since i've pretty much grown up here most of my life, It will always be where I call home. Obviously I don't want to leave and be banned to seek opportunities elsewhere, so I was wondering what are some creative things you guys did before DACA came along? I'd kindly appreciate your responses!

Thanks and can't wait to hear from you guys :)

Hi there! I was roughly in the same situation as you when I graduated high school and DACA was not a thing then.

A lot of dreamers back then got an ITIN and do independent contracting.

For me, I learned programming and was able to do independent contractor to support myself. Couple of my friends did this too. A lot of small businesses need HTML / Javascript if you are willing to do it. It pays pretty well too, I was able to get $25-35 an hour doing this.

Programming is one of the few things in life that you can learn by yourself, has very low barrier of entry, and abundant opportunities. Really saved my behind! :)

One of my friend walked dogs and then opened up a dog walking business with the clients she had.

It was tough back then, but I can imagine it being so much tougher now.

Let me know if you have any questions.

am1993 03-03-2018 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BestBefore1984 (Post 695639)
Hello Agnes. Welcome to the forum.

Are you from european descent?

I'm actually Black lol

am1993 03-03-2018 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sldkfj (Post 695658)
Open up a business or work as a self contractor.

See if you can find a small family business that is willing to hire you without documents.

Do not use fake or somebody else documentation. Under this administration that is the reason why you get criminal charges and eventual deportation.

Only real solution is marriage. DACA fix is probably dead this year.

Good luck

Okay cool, thanks for the reply. I'll look into the self contracted thing. I did think about the fake documents cause it's working for my cousin on mine, but the thought of getting caught or ruining a future scares me haha.

BestBefore1984 03-05-2018 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by am1993 (Post 695727)
I'm actually Black lol

That's ok. We don't discriminate here. Welcome!

am1993 03-05-2018 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BestBefore1984 (Post 695902)
That's ok. We don't discriminate here. Welcome!

lol good to know thanks