DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   About driving and SSN (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=29031)

1Up 08-04-2012 02:46 AM

About driving and SSN

I read most of the guidelines and they don't say anything about getting a license and social security. Any thoughts?

raminex 08-04-2012 02:48 AM

Re: About driving and SSN

my friend's relative told me that his aunty got work permit and she was given a ssn and you know the rest of it, you can get obviously driver license with that.

Elmexicano 08-04-2012 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Up (Post 271309)
I read most of the guidelines and they don't say anything about getting a license and social security. Any thoughts?

1. Check your state's DMV site for the requirements to obtain a License.
2. Check the requirements for SSN.

You will have your answer after that.

jsar8 08-04-2012 02:52 AM

You can get a social security card, (assuming you get your work permit) than most states will let you get a license after that. Also like many users have told you check with your state DMV by phone or by website.

texIan 08-04-2012 03:15 AM

A driver's license is issued by your state, not the government. If you are granted deferred action, you will qualify for a SSN. Then with your SSN you should be able to get a driver's license.

Check this thread to view driver's license requirements by state:
http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=28472

Nic89 08-04-2012 08:15 AM

Quote:

Its automatic thing that you get with your EAD.

circasurvive 08-04-2012 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nic89 (Post 271333)
Its automatic thing that you get with your EAD.

No it isn't. You have to go to your local SSA office and apply for your SSN. Nothing automatic about it.

txgirl 08-04-2012 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by circasurvive (Post 271336)
No it isn't. You have to go to your local SSA office and apply for your SSN. Nothing automatic about it.

This is correct one you receive your work authorization card you go to you local social security office they will issue a number for you and mail it

hithere 08-04-2012 01:24 PM

Like the others have said, once you receive your EAD, you take that to a local SSN office to be issued a SSN number. Then, you take that and whatever other documents are required to your local DMV. Of course the requirements depend on your state.

Demise 08-04-2012 05:22 PM

Quote:

With the deferred action you will also apply for a work permit ($380 is for the work permit, $85 is for the DACA process). With the Employment Authorization Document then you can go to the Social Security Administration to get a number, and most states (Virginia being the only one that doesn't) accept EADs as proof of lawful presence in the states when it comes to getting drivers licenses. In addition some states (NY being one for sure), once you get a drivers license its yours forever to keep, that is assuming you don't do anything stupid, once its about to expire you'll get a form to fill out to extend it.

Also once you get the employment authorization you can also apply for advance parole provided that there's some kind of emergency abroad you must attend, or your work requires you to travel abroad. Advance Parole is a permit to leave the country without acquiring a 3/10 year ban and return.