DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   AOS current wait time (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=84564)

powerfitness 09-16-2020 12:52 PM

AOS current wait time

Hi Everyone,

I'm finally sending out my paperwork this Friday for AOS through my US citizen wife. I used AP in 2017 so and also have protection under 245i but going through AP for lower fees.

Anyone know the current timeline waits? I am hoping its not more than a year.

akkiano 09-19-2020 04:44 PM

Re: AOS current wait time

I'm also doing AOS through my USC spouse, sent my stuff late February and am currently waiting on the interview to get scheduled. I think wait times depend on where you live and the volume of applicants from that area.

However, these COVID times have complicated things. USCIS is dealing with serious financial troubles and was on the brink of furloughing more than half its workers. In order to avert furloughs for now, they are apparently cutting costs everywhere they can, meaning that there will be longer processing times for everything.

So safe to say if you already live in a place with long wait times, it will be a miracle if you are able to get your green card within a year of applying. I live in the Bay Area in California, so I'm already resigned to the fact that I probably won't get an interview/green card until next year.

Demise 09-19-2020 07:37 PM

Generally 12-18 months these days. The exact number depends on your field office.

powerfitness 09-21-2020 11:28 AM

wow that's crazy, I'm also in California. In Los Angeles, 12-18 months is going to tough but at least its in process. Thanks for the heads up !

frbc13 09-21-2020 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akkiano (Post 751670)
I'm also doing AOS through my USC spouse, sent my stuff late February and am currently waiting on the interview to get scheduled. I think wait times depend on where you live and the volume of applicants from that area.

However, these COVID times have complicated things. USCIS is dealing with serious financial troubles and was on the brink of furloughing more than half its workers. In order to avert furloughs for now, they are apparently cutting costs everywhere they can, meaning that there will be longer processing times for everything.

So safe to say if you already live in a place with long wait times, it will be a miracle if you are able to get your green card within a year of applying. I live in the Bay Area in California, so I'm already resigned to the fact that I probably won't get an interview/green card until next year.

Do you at least get the work permit within a reasonable amount of time?

powerfitness 09-22-2020 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frbc13 (Post 751692)

that's a good question, luckily i have my daca until 7/22 !

akkiano 09-30-2020 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frbc13 (Post 751692)

I got the work permit like 4-5 months after sending my AOS application (I don't remember the exact timeline because at the time I got, I didn't need it anymore since I had already received my DACA work permit).

For reference, I sent my DACA renewal like the week after I sent my AOS packet and got my DACA work permit in just under 2 months.

AleiaTheEnchanted 09-30-2020 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akkiano (Post 751799)
I got the work permit like 4-5 months after sending my AOS application (I don't remember the exact timeline because at the time I got, I didn't need it anymore since I had already received my DACA work permit).

For reference, I sent my DACA renewal like the week after I sent my AOS packet and got my DACA work permit in just under 2 months.

Nice! You finally decided to adjust! I haven't done it yet because I have been waiting for DACA to get better, but now I am realizing that it will not. I will probably adjust soon as well through a lawyer. No time to do it personally myself. Having a lawyer keeps the mind at peace in my opinion. Hope you get your interview date soon!

akkiano 10-01-2020 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AleiaTheEnchanted (Post 751811)
Nice! You finally decided to adjust! I haven't done it yet because I have been waiting for DACA to get better, but now I am realizing that it will not. I will probably adjust soon as well through a lawyer. No time to do it personally myself. Having a lawyer keeps the mind at peace in my opinion. Hope you get your interview date soon!

If you are able to, my advice is to adjust as soon as you can — don't wait. DACA is on life support; if Trump gets re-elected (ugh, what a horrible thought) then DACA is dead.

Even if he doesn't win, the chances of Congress transitioning us from DACA to a permanent solution (like a pathway to citizenship/permanent residence) are slim. The DREAM Act has been stuck in Congress for decades now. Don't wait and leave your fate in the hands of others. If you have the ability to fix your status, do it.

I agree about a lawyer providing peace of mind. I decided to do it on my own though. Aside from the wait time for the interview, so far so good :)

Hope you have a smooth application process!

DDH22 10-01-2020 11:42 PM

Good luck guys!