DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   New Members (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   SSN card after DACA.! (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=40669)

Patrick_Tomaszewski 03-11-2013 03:02 PM

SSN card after DACA.!

Hello.! Just a question for those who have already been approved by DACA - how long is the wait for the social security card after you've applied.? Like is it less than 2 weeks.?

and is there anyway where I can get my social security number early so I can use it for my driver's written test.! (:

Morrow 03-11-2013 04:32 PM

Re: SSN card after DACA.!

Well, it depends, there are people who got it after a week, after 2 week, 3 weeks, one said he got it the next day. Me however, got it on the 5th week.

You can go to the office after a week to see if you been ASSIGN a number (People also recommended that you can call the office, however everytime I called they refuse to tell me anything unless I gave them a SS number to check o.O). I would rather you get the actual card, because I went to take the exam today, there was a guy who didn't have his card (or any ids in fact), they make a deal out of it (doesn't seem to like it).

Pluribus 03-12-2013 02:16 AM

Less than a week.

Patrick_Tomaszewski 03-12-2013 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morrow (Post 443235)
Well, it depends, there are people who got it after a week, after 2 week, 3 weeks, one said he got it the next day. Me however, got it on the 5th week.

You can go to the office after a week to see if you been ASSIGN a number (People also recommended that you can call the office, however everytime I called they refuse to tell me anything unless I gave them a SS number to check o.O). I would rather you get the actual card, because I went to take the exam today, there was a guy who didn't have his card (or any ids in fact), they make a deal out of it (doesn't seem to like it).

So they would prefer they see the actual card itself at the DMV.? Have you taken the written exam, by the way.?

arcane 03-12-2013 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick_Tomaszewski (Post 443653)
So they would prefer they see the actual card itself at the DMV.? Have you taken the written exam, by the way.?

Some states allow print-outs of SSN (you can obtain a print-out two days after you applied for SSN at the social security office). However, IL requires the physical SSN card and do not accept print outs. In IL, it takes 14 business days for the SSN to arrive in the mail.

In the meantime, gather all necessary documents that you will need at the DMV and read the "rules of the road" brochure to be ready for the driving and written tests.

msaccountant 03-12-2013 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morrow (Post 443235)

I suggest you wait for the actual card itself too. There was a member on another thread that said he had received a printout and started applying for jobs in the mean time then when he got the actual card he realized the numbers had been moved around...so just watch out. Congrats on the approval by the way!

FutureLegal13 03-13-2013 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick_Tomaszewski (Post 443191)
Hello.! Just a question for those who have already been approved by DACA - how long is the wait for the social security card after you've applied.? Like is it less than 2 weeks.?

and is there anyway where I can get my social security number early so I can use it for my driver's written test.! (:

Hello just wondering what application support center you went too. I'm from chicago

Patrick_Tomaszewski 03-15-2013 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msaccountant (Post 443852)
I suggest you wait for the actual card itself too. There was a member on another thread that said he had received a printout and started applying for jobs in the mean time then when he got the actual card he realized the numbers had been moved around...so just watch out. Congrats on the approval by the way!

I was just going to study for my DL for the meantime then. No rush since I'd need to drive before I can get to work anyhow. And thanks so much.!

Patrick_Tomaszewski 03-15-2013 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FutureLegal13 (Post 444210)
Hello just wondering what application support center you went too. I'm from chicago

To apply for my SS.? At this city called Belleville in Illinois waaay down south from Chicago, since I live fairly close to St. Louis. Have you applied in your city yet.?

Andreaxi24 01-30-2017 08:54 PM

Hi! I just got my social security and previously my ead!so excited! Honestly I'm stuck on what to do now. Is there something else I need to figure out before I start to look for jobs and a car? What is the next step? Please help!