DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   do you get a green card after EAD? (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=30971)

mimi2805 09-03-2012 01:36 PM

do you get a green card after EAD?

so im kinda confused, what do they mean by 6 years of permanent residence? should i expect it the mail after i get my EAD? and one more question can you travel outside the country with just an EAD?

newyorker 09-03-2012 01:38 PM

Re: do you get a green card after EAD?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mimi2805 (Post 293589)
so im kinda confused, what do they mean by 6 years of permanent residence? should i expect it the mail after i get my EAD? and one more question can you travel outside the country with just an EAD?

I think that only refers to the Dream Act.
Under DACA you can renew it as many times as you want and prolong your temporary residence status (granted that the gov continues the program) but that's a good as it gets.
The only practical way to get greencard other than marriage is to get employer sponsorship but from what I hear.. its a long tough journey :(

nesto90 09-03-2012 01:41 PM

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...00082ca60aRCRD

mimi2805 09-03-2012 01:43 PM

isn't DACA the same thing as the DREAM ACT? sorry if this question is stupid.

greentea 09-03-2012 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mimi2805 (Post 293595)

nope.

mimi2805 09-03-2012 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newyorker (Post 293590)
Under DACA you can renew it as many times as you want and prolong your temporary residence status (granted that the gov continues the program) but that's a good as it gets.
The only practical way to get greencard other than marriage is to get employer sponsorship but from what I hear.. its a long tough journey :(

Ianus 09-03-2012 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newyorker (Post 293590)

Warning.....in bold can lead to confusion.DACA guidelines do not have any "Residence" benefit only "Deferred action" for a possible 2 years each time approved.
Quote:

Originally Posted by mimi2805 (Post 293597)

No,it is not.It only gives the temporary "deferred action" for 2 years.The legislative "Dream act" has not passed the Congress and technically cannot be implemented by the President,only Congress can confer the "Dream act"!

newyorker 09-03-2012 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mimi2805 (Post 293595)

DACA is NOT the Dream Act.
"Does deferred action provide me with a path to permanent residence status or citizenship?
No. Deferred action is a form of prosecutorial discretion that does not confer lawful permanent resident status or a path to citizenship. Only the Congress, acting through its legislative authority, can confer these rights."
Unless our do-nothing Congress actually passes legislation, the Dream Act will only remain a dream. :/

mimi2805 09-03-2012 01:46 PM

what is Form I-797 for then? sorry im so confused. how do you apply for the dream act then?

greentea 09-03-2012 01:46 PM

Dream Act is the imaginary football being punted around for political points.

DACA:
Quote:

President Obama announced Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA, or Deferred Action), which allows eligible young undocumented immigrants to apply for work authorization and be safe from deportation for two years at a time. Deferred Action is not legal status or a visa, but rather a decision by the Department of Homeland Security to not remove or deport someone who does not have a legal right to stay in the U.S.