DREAM Act Portal Forum

DREAM Act Portal Forum (http://dreamact.info/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://dreamact.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   How to check if you have an order of removal (http://dreamact.info/forum/showthread.php?t=80811)

Shapeshift0827 02-09-2018 12:44 AM

How to check if you have an order of removal

Does anyone know how to check if you have an order or removal? I never got one buy I'm paranoid that I may had one outstanding but got lost in the mail or never received it. I saw the instructions below from an immigration website but I'm scared to enter my Alien number for fear it might flag it.

To find out if you have an old order of deportation follow these steps:

Find your “Alien Registration Number.” It is on most immigration papers, including the I-94 card on your passport, greencard, or any other document that immigration gives you. The A# looks like: A99 999 999
Call 1-800-898-7180. This is the hotline for the immigration court (EOIR).
Press “1” for English or “2” for Spanish.
Enter the 8 digits of your A-number and listen for instructions. If your number is in the system, then this means that an immigration case existed against you at some time.
Press “3” to find out if an immigration judge decided your case, including if there is an order of deportation (“removal”) against you.
If the hotline says you have a deportation/removal order, consult a lawyer specializing in immigration deportation before you go to the immigration office, leave the country, or try to adjust your status.

Ianus 02-09-2018 04:07 AM

Re: How to check if you have an order of removal

Do that, or have a lawyer do a FOIA on tour immigration file.

Shapeshift0827 02-09-2018 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ianus (Post 687775)
Do that, or have a lawyer do a FOIA on tour immigration file.

Thanks.

On initial DACA app, and every renewal since, I've always put "No" on the question of having a removal preceding. If I did have a removal order, would they have rejected my application or sent an RFE?

Ianus 02-09-2018 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shapeshift0827 (Post 687808)
Thanks.

On initial DACA app, and every renewal since, I've always put "No" on the question of having a removal preceding. If I did have a removal order, would they have rejected my application or sent an RFE?

Unknown, but I would lean towards the no side as that is not what an RFE is for.

The RFE is for your eligibility for DACA and meeting it's requirements, not about your removal or deportation proceeding.

StillDreamingNb87 02-09-2018 10:52 AM

How can you have an final order of removal if you have never appeared in front of an immigration judge.

Shapeshift0827 02-09-2018 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StillDreamingNb87 (Post 687837)
How can you have an final order of removal if you have never appeared in front of an immigration judge.

From what I've read, they could have sent you an letter to appear for a court hearing but if you don't show up, it then becomes a final order of removal.

An unfortunate scenario would be if they sent you a letter but got lost or sent to the wrong address. Some people never knew they had an order of removal.

I called the 1-800 number and entered my Alien number. The automated machine said there's no record. Feel a little better now

Ianus 02-09-2018 11:12 AM

Most dreamers actually received their Final Orders from their parents. In most final orders pertaining to dreamers, the parents applied for a benefit and the child was placed as a derivative beneficiary of that case. When the case did not go through, the parent and the child both got a final order. Asylum or voluntary departure for can trigger such a thing.

eRkah 02-09-2018 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ianus (Post 687842)
Most dreamers actually received their Final Orders from their parents. In most final orders pertaining to dreamers, the parents applied for a benefit and the child was placed as a derivative beneficiary of that case. When the case did not go through, the parent and the child both got a final order. Asylum or voluntary departure for can trigger such a thing.

how often does that happen for visa overstays, or what triggers it? there never seems to be a clear answer on that

juvi 02-09-2018 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StillDreamingNb87 (Post 687837)

Oh, sweet summer child.

tusol17 02-09-2018 07:54 PM

Well if you were detained when you entered the U.S chances are you should have an order of removal.